• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Serene Crystal (V1.5.3)

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    Alolan Ninetales learns Dazzling Gleam by level up but cannot learn the Dazzling Gleam TM lol

Days
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Hi! First of all, congrats! This is a really fun game, a fresh new approach to Crystal and makes me play it non-stop lol. I just beat Violet City Gym and I'm loving so far.
    I have a few questions I couldn't find answers for in the Changelog, so I thought I could ask them here:

1 - My metapod evolved into Venomoth. Is this intentional? I suppose Venonat evolves into Butterfree, then?
    2 - I used the TM I won by beating the Gym and it disappeared (I though it was infinite, like other hacks do). Can I obtain it again later somehow or it is gone for ever?

Thanks!

Days
    • she/her
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi! First of all, congrats! This is a really fun game, a fresh new approach to Crystal and makes me play it non-stop lol. I just beat Violet City Gym and I'm loving so far.
    I have a few questions I couldn't find answers for in the Changelog, so I thought I could ask them here:

1 - My metapod evolved into Venomoth. Is this intentional? I suppose Venonat evolves into Butterfree, then?
    2 - I used the TM I won by beating the Gym and it disappeared (I though it was infinite, like other hacks do). Can I obtain it again later somehow or it is gone for ever?

Thanks!
    Hi, happy to hear you're enjoying!

1 - This was a mistake 😭 while playing myself I was considering swapping Venomoth and Butterfree to see how that played, but it seems I forgot to change them back. This was not intentional and will be fixed.
    2 - The TMs are NOT infinite, so there's no way to get them back, with the exceptions of the purchasable ones. I'm sorry for not having that be noted down somewhere, but I'll write it down tomorrow

Days
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hey! Really excited to try this. Two questions:
    1) Do Fairy type moves count as physical or special?
    2) Is there any official documentation showing the base stats of all Pokémon in the hack?

Days
    • she/her
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey! Really excited to try this. Two questions:
    1) Do Fairy type moves count as physical or special?
    2) Is there any official documentation showing the base stats of all Pokémon in the hack?
    Hope, you'll enjoy your playthrough!!
    1 - Fairy counts as special, which made way more sense to me
    2 - If you click "Full Changelog" there should be a section with the changed stats. All Pokemon not listed under that section have remained the same

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Hi, thanks for your interest! Yes, the shiny odds have been increased, but due to my lack of deep coding and math skills, I don't know how high the odds truly are. It's probably 1/100 or less, but I can't say specifically.
    Wow, that's amazing, I wanted to say two things, in Sprout Tower, I found a glitch where I could not recive Natu since I had a full team, I went to put some pokemon on the box and the sage only talked about taking good care of Natu.
    And secondly a question about gift pokemon, (Like Natu or the egg Togepi) can they be shiny?

Days
    • she/her
    • Seen yesterday
    Wow, that's amazing, I wanted to say two things, in Sprout Tower, I found a glitch where I could not recive Natu since I had a full team, I went to put some pokemon on the box and the sage only talked about taking good care of Natu.
    And secondly a question about gift pokemon, (Like Natu or the egg Togepi) can they be shiny?
    Thank you for letting me know, will be fixed in the next update 🫡
    As far as I know, the gift Pokemon CAN be shiny but I'm not sure if the rate is the same as wild encounters

Mariohammer

Pokemon Collector
    Years
  • I'm about to face the Elite Four. Did you add water stones pre-E4? I'd love my Poliwhirl to evolve. I saw some mention about in the dept. store, but couldn't find any in Goldenrod. Thanks!

Days
    • she/her
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm about to face the Elite Four. Did you add water stones pre-E4? I'd love my Poliwhirl to evolve. I saw some mention about in the dept. store, but couldn't find any in Goldenrod. Thanks!
    You can get stones on the third floor of the Dept. Store. There should be 2 clerks next to eachother, and the one on the right is the one that sells the stones

Mariohammer

Pokemon Collector
    Years
  • You can get stones on the third floor of the Dept. Store. There should be 2 clerks next to eachother, and the one on the right is the one that sells the stones
    Weird. I swear I talked to every NPC in the building a couple times, but just missed this guy for some reason? Oh well. I just beat the Kanto gym leaders and Poliwhirl managed well enough against Brock.

I really enjoyed the hack overall. The custom sprite work was mostly gorgeous, and even the designs I didn't like were well made. Two weird minor things I found both around Mt. Moon. I entered it from Cerulean, and as soon as I did I looked to the right which is a wall and rival dialogue played and then I fought them. No actual issues, was just kind of strange seeing the wall battle me.

Then after getting through Mt. Moon on the Pewter side, there's a patch of cliff you can walk on past the Pokemon-grass. I don't know if you were going for like an overlook kind of thing, but it looked like it wasn't meant to be walkable. If it was maybe turning the regular grass tiles above it to dirt? I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not.

The only other major issue I had was the Cianwood gym, I understand why the ladders work how they did but if you end up entering and leaving the gym to heal the ladders are weird. And having to re-solve the Phanphy puzzle (cool puzzle btw) was torturous.

Thanks for all your work! Seriously some of your sprites looked like really high quality of the time official sprites. Did you make custom sprites for every Pokemon or just most? I've played too many different games recently to mentally keep track.

Days
    • she/her
    • Seen yesterday
    Weird. I swear I talked to every NPC in the building a couple times, but just missed this guy for some reason? Oh well. I just beat the Kanto gym leaders and Poliwhirl managed well enough against Brock.

I really enjoyed the hack overall. The custom sprite work was mostly gorgeous, and even the designs I didn't like were well made. Two weird minor things I found both around Mt. Moon. I entered it from Cerulean, and as soon as I did I looked to the right which is a wall and rival dialogue played and then I fought them. No actual issues, was just kind of strange seeing the wall battle me.

Then after getting through Mt. Moon on the Pewter side, there's a patch of cliff you can walk on past the Pokemon-grass. I don't know if you were going for like an overlook kind of thing, but it looked like it wasn't meant to be walkable. If it was maybe turning the regular grass tiles above it to dirt? I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not.

The only other major issue I had was the Cianwood gym, I understand why the ladders work how they did but if you end up entering and leaving the gym to heal the ladders are weird. And having to re-solve the Phanphy puzzle (cool puzzle btw) was torturous.

Thanks for all your work! Seriously some of your sprites looked like really high quality of the time official sprites. Did you make custom sprites for every Pokemon or just most? I've played too many different games recently to mentally keep track.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this! I didn't make every Pokemon sprite myself. All the new Pokemon from Gen 3+, the new regional forms, and then Raichu, Crobat, Butterfree, Igglybuff, Clefable, Togepi, Flaaffy, Bellossom, Jumpluff, Politoed, Ditto, Azumarill, Miltank, Blissey and Tyranitar have also been done by me. Crobat and Politoed with heavy inspiration from Substitute.

The issue with the Mt. Mortar entrance is known and I'm currently investigating what causes it, but if I can't find a solution, I'll just block it off and make it a one-way entrance you can only exit if you go through Pewter City.
    I wasn't aware of the cliffwalking but I didn't alter much of Kanto so I assume that's just what was intended(?)

I think I'll be changing the way the ladders work if that's the case, or just come up with something new entirely. Unfortunately, GSC doesn't have a tile for ladders that go down, so i may have to just use stairs to convey the idea better. I am still actively looking for ways to make the Phanpy puzzle only a one-time thing.

I will try my best to fix all of these issues, once again thank you for taking the time to write this and bring this to light.

Last edited:

Mariohammer

Pokemon Collector
    Years
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this! I didn't make every Pokemon sprite myself. All the new Pokemon from Gen 3+, the new regional forms, and then Raichu, Crobat, Butterfree, Igglybuff, Clefable, Togepi, Flaaffy, Bellossom, Jumpluff, Politoed, Ditto, Azumarill, Miltank, Blissey and Tyranitar have also been done by me. Crobat and Politoed with heavy inspiration from Substiture.

The issue with the Mt. Mortar entrance is known and I'm currently investigating what causes it, but if I can't find a solution, I'll just block it off and make it a one-way entrance you can only exit if you go through Pewter City.
    I wasn't aware of the cliffwalking but I didn't alter much of Kanto so I assume that's just what was intended(?)

I think I'll be changing the way the latters work if that's the case. Unfortunately, GSC doesn't have a tile for ladders that go down, so i may have to just use stairs to convey the idea better. I am still actively looking for ways to make the Phanpy puzzle only a one-time thing.

I will try my best to fix all of these issues, once again thank you for taking the time to write this and bring this to light.
    No problem, least I can do for some free entertainment is give feedback.

Here's a screenshot of the cliff on whatever route is between Pewter and Mt Moon. I don't remember the cliff looking like this or being traversable? If those two rows of grass above it were swapped to dirt I think it'd make a pretty effective cliff overlook kind of thing, but with the stark switch between grass and cliff it felt off to me. Or just close it off like the game usually does. And if I'm just overthinking something unintentional.... oh well!

Attachments

• Pokémon Serene Crystal (V1.5.3)
      Screenshot_20240306-025105~2.png
      23.8 KB · Views: 1
    Back