• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Sun & Moon Officially Announced [Summary of news here!]

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I just hope we can pick the skin, hair and eyes color at least for them. If not make them different than 90% of the trainers who are blue eyed with brown hair and fair-skinned.

I would like a tan or dark skinned female with silver hairs representing the Moon game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Thanks for the name; I was trying to remember it when I making that post.

As for the starters, I'm not entirely sure about the water starter being part dragon, because the starters are supposed to have an advantage against each other, but Water/Dragon is only weak to Dragon and Fairy types, and neither of the other two starters are part fairy.

Years
    We have had imbalances before, such as a pure-typed + 2 dual-typed trio in 1st and 3rd Gen, or a 2 pure-typed + 1 dual-typed in 5th Gen. And that's not counting Kanto and Hoenn starters' Megas.

pkmin3033

I think it's almost a certainty that, if we're getting new starters at all - I still half-expect this to be the second half of Gen VI with no new starters - then at least one of them will wind up being part-Fairy. I expect them to pour it on heavily with Fairies with new Pokemon, and making one of the starters part-Fairy would be a logical move. Maybe something like Water/Fighting, Fire/Fairy, and Grass/Steel or something.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    We have had imbalances before, such as a pure-typed + 2 dual-typed trio in 1st and 3rd Gen, or a 2 pure-typed + 1 dual-typed in 5th Gen. And that's not counting Kanto and Hoenn starters' Megas.

But at least they didn't mess with the Grass > Water > Fire cycle, and in Gen 4's case, Torterra's Ground typing allowed it to dent Empoleon's Steel typing.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

We've had more imbalances than that too.

Empoleon loses it's grass weakness but becomes weak to both secondary types to the other starters, Fighting and Ground.

Greninja is immune to Delphox's secondary. A trait that is a bigger imbalance than losing weakness.

Swampert is x4 weak to the grass starter giving a higher advantage to Sceptile over it.

At this point, having a dragon typed secondary for a final form for a Starter isn't completely unheard of anymore. The base RPG balance only holds for the base forms. Once they evolve anything is game now.

Years
    We've had more imbalances than that too.

Empoleon loses it's grass weakness but becomes weak to both secondary types to the other starters, Fighting and Ground.

Greninja is immune to Delphox's secondary. A trait that is a bigger imbalance than losing weakness.

Swampert is x4 weak to the grass starter giving a higher advantage to Sceptile over it.

At this point, having a dragon typed secondary for a final form for a Starter isn't completely unheard of anymore. The base RPG balance only holds for the base forms. Once they evolve anything is game now.

Pinkie already pointed out Sinnoh's starters, since they do take on a new kind of resistance and weakness thing. The Kalos starters each had a double advantage over another, but as you said Greninja did get a bit far ahead with an immunity. Swampert may be easily killed by Sceptile but it's still got Ice moves to counter.

Seeing these sorts of imbalances with the cycle makes me realize just how interesting they'd pull off starters from here on.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Pinkie already pointed out Sinnoh's starters, since they do take on a new kind of resistance and weakness thing.

Issue here is then it's no longer about the type triangle as Empoleon is not weak to Grass and loses Fire resistance. So the basis for the starter balance was just thrown in the trash. Both other starters also gain a distict advantage over Empoleon making is two are better than one with the two balanced between themselves and making Empoleon only capable of getting lucky if they can fend off Infernape.

They are the most unbalanced starter set with Gen 6's being second with the immunity to a secondary type.

The Kalos starters each had a double advantage over another, but as you said Greninja did get a bit far ahead with an immunity. Swampert may be easily killed by Sceptile but it's still got Ice moves to counter.

Seeing these sorts of imbalances with the cycle makes me realize just how interesting they'd pull off starters from here on.

This only further proves that the balance only exists for the base forms. Swampert doesn't learn any Ice type attacks naturally. Meaning there is no natural counter for them making them naturally weak to Sceptile. Without access to outside methods there is no way a Swampert could compete with Sceptile.

After evolving the base balance of grass < fire < water isn't a thing unless they stay mono typed. Once you add secondary types the RPG matchup no longer matters.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    What I do want to know is which animal warranted a second Grass/Steel type. I know that we have plenty of sea serpents to warrant a second Water/Dragon type and the popular idea of a Fire/Ground elephant.

Years
    I feel like it's mainly only the base forms (and the middle forms to a lesser extent) that have the Fire-Grass-Water weakness/resistance cycle, and then Game Freak decide to mainly deviate it when they reach the final stages, with the notable exception so far being the Johto trio.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    I wouldn't care if we just some light and simple info, but it'd better be more than single fact or design.
    Not just the region name, but also what it's based off of.
    Not just the protag designs, but a few other characters or something about customization).
    Not just the starters, but maybe evolutions (probably too early for that, though) or a few other Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    What I do want to know is which animal warranted a second Grass/Steel type. I know that we have plenty of sea serpents to warrant a second Water/Dragon type and the popular idea of a Fire/Ground elephant.

If I follow the new Grass starter theory that the Grass starters follow the Dinosaur evolutionary timeline, I can tell you a few ideas after today's class since we'll be covering the Cretaceous period today and we'll get more Dinosaurs and mammals. Wish I could find the image that shows the suggested timeline.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I wouldn't care if we just some light and simple info, but it'd better be more than single fact or design.
    Not just the region name, but also what it's based off of.
    Not just the protag designs, but a few other characters or something about customization).
    Not just the starters, but maybe evolutions (probably too early for that, though) or a few other Pokemon.
    They never reveal what the region is based on in corocoro. That usually comes up in interviews or when fans question the creators at conventions, irc the latter was the case for Kalos. They were even surprised that we figured it out... though it's obvious.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I think it's almost a certainty that, if we're getting new starters at all - I still half-expect this to be the second half of Gen VI with no new starters - then at least one of them will wind up being part-Fairy. I expect them to pour it on heavily with Fairies with new Pokemon, and making one of the starters part-Fairy would be a logical move. Maybe something like Water/Fighting, Fire/Fairy, and Grass/Steel or something.

It is Gen 7. They wouldn't do what everyone thought. If it wasn't completely new, they wouldn't be hiding as much.

The closest thing we will get to 6.5 is Gen 7 taking us to Kalos after post game. We will get starters. It is a new generation. It has already been confirmed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Stalking websites and stuff because why not.

Saw this on Pokejungle, what a lazy effort at a fake.

Pokémon Sun & Moon Officially Announced [Summary of news here!]

Years
    Xander's right, they aren't completely new at all. Plus those protagonists look like a cheaply redesigned Hilbert and Hilda from B/W. That artist must have not been trying if you ask me.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    If I follow the new Grass starter theory that the Grass starters follow the Dinosaur evolutionary timeline, I can tell you a few ideas after today's class since we'll be covering the Cretaceous period today and we'll get more Dinosaurs and mammals. Wish I could find the image that shows the suggested timeline.

If the Grass starter is changing dual types based on the Dinosaur evolutionary timeline, then I don't remember the Cretaceous period being associated with Steel types.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    If the Grass starter is changing dual types based on the Dinosaur evolutionary timeline, then I don't remember the Cretaceous period being associated with Steel types.

Secondary type has nothing to do with that theory. If it did then none of the secondary types would make any sense. The theory is to figure out what possible species the grass starter could be. Chespin may have been part of the early Cretaceous since mammals started to appear then. I wish I could find the original image I had seen cause it listed 4 potential species that could become the next grass starter.

Back