• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Certainly not luck or guess. The CFRU AI is actually "too good" (yup, it cheats) at times. Like after a double KO, it will choose its next Pokémon after you choose yours. Or when a Pokémon that has Taunt will use Taunt first if it detects that your Pokémon has at least one status move, but won't use it if your Pokémon has only direct damage moves. So it can accurately read and detect certain things that a human brain wouldn't.

It's a small price to pay for a competent AI I guess, and obviously way better than fighting totally dumb trainers.

Ok but in radical red it isn't

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2021
    Will the other special distribution pokemons like Shiny Greninja, Melmetal and Shiny Incineroar be available again??

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Certainly not luck or guess. The CFRU AI is actually "too good" (yup, it cheats) at times. [...]
    It's a small price to pay for a competent AI I guess, and obviously way better than fighting totally dumb trainers.

Oh, right, it's probably the CFRU, so I apologize for wrongfully ranting about it here. It didn't occur to me that it's maybe the underlying mechanics rather than Unbound on top of it.
    So, sorry for that.

I certainly appreciate a competent AI, trying to outplay it with an unexpected gambit. And as you phrased it, it's a price I'm willing to pay, if there's no way around it.

Since I'm more casual than hardcore, it's fine for me. I was just a little annoyed at times, choosing Difficult over Vanilla, fully aware that Expert/Insane would be too much investment for me.
    Regarding the E4, I guess they utilize the same AI class (maybe better?), but they certainly not felt like the "Route Boss" Ace Trainers. Maybe it's because of the NPCs briefing you about the E4 beforehand. In-universe, this wouldn't make sense for a random Ace Trainer with a variety team instead of a themed one, of course.

Anyway, I certainly enjoyed all of the trainer battles, even the totally obvious and ridiculous "Devil Duo". ;)

Also, thanks for the input, things clearly make more sense now.

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
    Years
  • But, as others have already noticed, there is a really frustrating quirk with the battle AI of the advanced trainer classes.
    They outright cheat.
    They choose the right move according to the Pokémon you switch to, mid-turn.
    I play on Difficult (I'm mostly a casual), and others have reported this on Expert or Insane.
    But effectively mind reading you 100% of the time on the casual difficulties makes no sense and is really frustrating.
    This is actually a bug that I've fixed for the next version. The anti-abuse was originally only intended for Insane, but somehow made its way to the other difficulties as well. It's also generally been toned down because I was able to more accurately detect what it was implemented for (eg. swapping back and forth to PP stall the opponent).

Like after a double KO, it will choose its next Pokémon after you choose yours.
    That's actually a bug I never bothered to fix haha

yea i wish i could see all of the enemy pokemon's moves instantly too
    See this doc.

Ok but in radical red it isn't
    Unless those quirks were fixed, they are definitely present in Radical Red.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    Does the battle frontier have different rules that you can select for the facilities like level 100, etc, and what sort of restrictions do they have on pokemon or items you can use?
    Also, a suggestion and personal want that I wish I could see in a single player game is for a post-game battle facility to implement rules for little cup. Little cup is such a fun unique format but your only options are requiring internet and an existing playerbase to play against. It would be incredible to have little cup in a game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    This is actually a bug that I've fixed for the next version. The anti-abuse was originally only intended for Insane, but somehow made its way to the other difficulties as well. It's also generally been toned down because I was able to more accurately detect what it was implemented for (eg. swapping back and forth to PP stall the opponent).

Thanks for the heads-up, I hope my contribution didn't come over as offensive. I didn't mean to blame anyone.
    I'm glad you were able to identify it as the bug it is, and I hope you and/or the team were able to fix it without much trouble.
    You're doing a great job. I'm sure people are grateful, even if it doesn't appear that way sometimes.

And even if the frustration got the better of me, I'll try to stay more collected in the future.

Thanks again.

Years
  • Hi. I'm from Brazil, I play pokemon since Fire and Blue, I signed up here just to say how much I'm enjoying this game (I'm in 2nd gym but already very excited). I'm new to romhack, tried a few but basically it was the same game with different texts or just adding more pokemons, but this is really a whole new game!

I loved the RPG style, the missions, the scenarios, anyway, I coming here just to praise !

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Edit: Solved, see next post.

Hey, sorry to always post with some kind of issue, but here's a weird one, I can't seem to figure out, unless something went really wrong.

Post-game spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Thanks in advance, I hope it's the latter.

Oh, and before I forget, I started my adventure on 1.1.3, but I updated to 1.1.3.1 a while ago.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hey, sorry to always post with some kind of issue, but here's a weird one, I can't seem to figure out, unless something went really wrong.

Post-game spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Thanks in advance, I hope it's the latter.

Oh, and before I forget, I started my adventure on 1.1.3, but I updated to 1.1.3.1 a while ago.
    As for the toxapex, check there at night time

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    As for the toxapex, check there at night time

Edit2: Post obsolete, see below.

Hmm... I think I already did, but will double check again tomorrow.
    No luck so far today. I went there randomly, but no spawn...

I might have an older save file backed up, maybe I can verify the issue. If it spawns, I'll try to reproduce it and post my findings.

If anyone has a save file after the Elite 4 and wants to check for themselves, here is what I vaguely recall doing before:

Spoiler:

From the given circumstances, one could assume there is a shared property/flag between a regular raid Toxapex, tagging it falsely defeated. As in defeated, but not confirmed at the right location (or rather missing the method), if that makes sense.

Really hoping it's not just me missing something or having a bad patched file; besides this and an issue with Natural Cure, all went smoothly afaict.

Edit: Came back at different times, no such luck in spawning Toxapex.
    I also tried beating the E4 again, which didn't help.
    To be clear, I always checked the rock before and after checking for Toxapex to spawn.

What goes against my previous theory (locking the spawn by battling another Dynamax one), I loaded an older save (earlier post-game, before battling a Toxapex, I think), still no spawn.

Items underwater do respawn, such as the Pokéball next to Toxapex' supposed location.
    Time based events also still work.

This has me stumped.
    Another question, and this might be stupid and obvious, but do I need to
    Spoiler:

It's still on my todo list.

Gladly taking any suggestions. :/

Ugh... Edit2: Yes, yes you need to do the spoiler part above...
    While I do appreciate the progression system utilized, this does however feel a little obscure or arbitrary in this final stretch.
    Don't get me wrong, this is just my very own opinion. But speaking for myself, this I don't like too much. If I haven't spoilt myself by researching some last portal locations (implying time of day), I would have ultimately given up on them. I'm too casual for this kind of investment, even though I enjoyed building a vast team repertoire, partial grinding included.

To anyone who doesn't feel that way, I'm glad this is the case. This is the investment the hack deserves.

Thanks again for your hard work, everyone involved, and sorry, if I ultimately don't seem as appreciative as I am.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2021
    Hey, ive beaten the 5th gym leader in dehara but its not letting me use the rock climb hm to get to seafront town, is there something ive missed?

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I used to say Glazed was my favourite rom hack but my, this one is on another level in my opinion. Thank you so much for this!

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Do I need to beat post-game Aklove first before I can get Waterium Z from Tessy at Magnolia Cafe(wednesdays, noon time) and how do I start protector of the swamp mission? Somehow she isn't at the entrance of Cootes Bog. I already did the Terrorgranbull Mission on Fallshore City I also never adjusted my time for some events if that would be a factor on why I can't start the mission. I really wanted TM120-Nature Power and Waterium Z lol. Luckily in my BT demo the guy that give free TM gave Nature Power, I just traded my camerupt there and taught it Nature Power there and traded it back in the main game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Hey, ive beaten the 5th gym leader in dehara but its not letting me use the rock climb hm to get to seafront town, is there something ive missed?

Rock Climb is after Antisis Gym Leader the 6th gym. After beating the 5th you'll be able to use surf not rock climb. Go to vivill town first. Head to the Desert but get the goggles first from the hiker on one of the houses in Dehara City. Desert is east of dehara. Just keep heading east and you'll reach gurun town then go North after reaching gurun town. There will be a forest then after that it's vivill town. Then after doing the mission there go back to gurun town and head west this time, then south. The area that is blocked by a Keckleon will be unblocked by the antisis gym leader. Continue heading south then you'll reach antisis city.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Do I need to beat post-game Aklove first before I can get Waterium Z from Tessy at Magnolia Cafe(wednesdays, noon time) and how do I start protector of the swamp mission? Somehow she isn't at the entrance of Cootes Bog. I already did the Terrorgranbull Mission on Fallshore City I also never adjusted my time for some events if that would be a factor on why I can't start the mission.[...]

Can't really help you with that, she did spawn for me after the E4 but before the final mission. But I've found two reports on reddit with deleted comments, stating the same issue you are encountering.

Do other Gym Leaders appear at Magnolia Café for you? Other timed event are also working?
    If not, it's an issue with your clock.
    If you save and reload from the main menu (not save states), does it warn you about having tampered with the clock?

(Also, and I'm sorry for asking, did you skip anything by cheating? If so, the progression script might have skipped crucial prerequisites, I'd guess.)

_________

On another note, may I file a feature request?

Could the PC item storage be expanded?

I'm actually using it for things I rarely need, Shards, Evo Stones (ones you can't buy), other things harder to find. But there just isn't enough room and I end up carrying some of it in my bag.
    I actually have sorted the items in my bag in the most convenient fastest way for me (~ consumables at the top, held items at the bottom), but I always need to hold L/R for several seconds every other time I need something, which adds up to be a noticeable inconvenience...

(I even have a Box for the various Vivillons, most of which carrying one of 16 Arceus Plates and some other Mons hold the EV/Power items. lol)

Maybe another bag instead? Maybe an additional vendor you can unlock?
    There's really too much you can collect in these games. :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Can't really help you with that, she did spawn for me after the E4 but before the final mission. But I've found two reports on reddit with deleted comments, stating the same issue you are encountering.

Do other Gym Leaders appear at Magnolia Café for you? Other timed event are also working?
    If not, it's an issue with your clock.
    If you save and reload from the main menu (not save states), does it warn you about having tampered with the clock?

(Also, and I'm sorry for asking, did you skip anything by cheating? If so, the progression script might have skipped crucial prerequisites, I'd guess.)

_________

On another note, may I file a feature request?

Could the PC item storage be expanded?

I'm actually using it for things I rarely need, Shards, Evo Stones (ones you can't buy), other things harder to find. But there just isn't enough room and I end up carrying some of it in my bag.
    I actually have sorted the items in my bag in the most convenient fastest way for me (~ consumables at the top, held items at the bottom), but I always need to hold L/R for several seconds every other time I need something, which adds up to be a noticeable inconvenience...

(I even have a Box for the various Vivillons, most of which carrying one of 16 Arceus Plates and some other Mons hold the EV/Power items. lol)

Maybe another bag instead? Maybe an additional vendor you can unlock?
    There's really too much you can collect in these games. :D

I already have all the acquirable Z-crystals in this game except waterium z. I received no warning about tampering with the clock. I did not use cheats either. However, this is already my new game+ playthrough. Maybe it bugged something along the way. Worst case scenario, I can just trade a pokemon holding a waterium z from someone else's save file though. I wish I backed up my save before starting a new game+.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I already have all the acquirable Z-crystals in this game except waterium z. I received no warning about tampering with the clock. I did not use cheats either. However, this is already my new game+ playthrough. Maybe it bugged something along the way. Worst case scenario, I can just trade a pokemon holding a waterium z from someone else's save file though. I wish I backed up my save before starting a new game+.

I see. Well, sorry for not being more of a help, I have no idea then. Maybe you're right and something is bugged. I can imagine a NG+ being especially complicated to implement, given the complex systems within the hack.

Besides, anyone noticed Guard Spec. not working?
    I was trying something out and pumped a lot of X-Items in my Pokémon. After using a Guard Spec. I got hit by Crunch and it lowered my defense with the 20% chance secondary effect (three turns in a row actually, so a 0.8% chance lol). I noticed taking consecutively more damage, so it wasn't just a visual effect either.
    Personally, I don't use these against trainers anyway, however in catching I consider it fair game.
    But since it's a basic item everyone could use, I thought I bring it up.

Idk if this is the right place to report it or the CFRU thread. Maybe the right person stumbles across it anyway.

Allen Ceedos

The Old School PokeFan
    Years
  • Hi there everyone, my name is Allen and I just wanted to share with you my walkthrough for Pokemon Unbound. It took a couple of months but hey, I tried xD:

https://archive.org/details/pokemon-rom-hack-walkthroughs

Documents for previous walkthroughs are there as well. For Unbound you will find the text document on its own as well as a zipped file of the same name. That file contains the text document and screenshots showing solutions to the Regi puzzles if anyone needs them. I messed up the RTC function for my game during my playthrough so it's always a Sunday in-game now and as a result I couldn't cover the events which lead to obtaining Groudon and Kyogre. Please consult the Official Guide for how to obtain them. Also missing from the walkthrough is information for the Great Desert Raid Den, this is also absent from the Official Guide (no idea why). If there are any errors or anything I may have left out in the walkthrough please contact me as soon as you can via message. There are support links in the final section of the document, check them out if the walkthrough was helpful and you've considered supporting. Many thanks to Spectre and everyone who helped out with guides and other information.

My next walkthrough adventure starts in September, look forward to it :) bye for now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    I see. Well, sorry for not being more of a help, I have no idea then. Maybe you're right and something is bugged. I can imagine a NG+ being especially complicated to implement, given the complex systems within the hack.

Besides, anyone noticed Guard Spec. not working?
    I was trying something out and pumped a lot of X-Items in my Pokémon. After using a Guard Spec. I got hit by Crunch and it lowered my defense with the 20% chance secondary effect (three turns in a row actually, so a 0.8% chance lol). I noticed taking consecutively more damage, so it wasn't just a visual effect either.
    Personally, I don't use these against trainers anyway, however in catching I consider it fair game.
    But since it's a basic item everyone could use, I thought I bring it up.

Idk if this is the right place to report it or the CFRU thread. Maybe the right person stumbles across it anyway.

I was able to make Tessy appeared at the entrance of Cootes Bog. It was after I finished that Shark Bait Mission at Seaport. Smh, I was ignoring that mission the whole time because it will just reward me a sharpedonite. I also tried adjusting the time+date to wednesday noon(I backed up my save first) and Tessy is there at the cafe. I got tm120 now and I can finally get my Waterium Z tomorrow. :)

Also, sorry if I can't help or suggest anything about your issue on battle items.

Back