• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PokéSpe] Character personalities

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
This thread is about the characters of the Pokémon Special / Adventures manga.

Do you think the 'dex holders have well developed personalities? Do you find them interesting enough or do you think they should be a bit different?

There are a lot more boys than girls in the group of protagonists. Do you think the girls have well developed and interesting personalities compared to each other and to the boys?​

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Do you think the 'dex holders have well developed personalities? Do you find them interesting enough or do you think they should be a bit different?

I'd say they're all different enough, and I find most of them interesting except Yellow. There's just something about her that I don't appreciate her as much as the other characters. I'd be interested to read any chapter going back to Hoenn - Ruby's so hard to read, and depending on whether he embraces the contest fanatic, the battler, or a mix of both could completely change him, and also decide whether or not him and Sapphire are more than just friends (from what I remember it was certainly implied that they had feelings for one another).

There are a lot more boys than girls in the group of protagonists. Do you think the girls have well developed and interesting personalities compared to each other and to the boys?

It reflects the fact that the rival in the games is always male I guess. And because they don't want to move away from gender stereotypes, when you do get female rivals (Bianca) they're useless compared to the boys. In PokéSpe I certainly think most of them have developed personalities...except perhaps Platinum. She doesn't seem to have much of a personality except stubbornness and battling ability mostly gained by listening to Pearl's advice. And I find Yellow uninteresting. Although if the BW manga eventually stretches to BW2, it'd be interesting to see if all the old pokédex holders turn up at that tournament - now that neither of them are kids anymore, will Yellow still idolise Red? (That's how I remember their relationship being anyway).

Years
As far as I am concerned the Characters of Red, Green, Gold, Crystal were well made. I disliked Silver and Blue... Why because Blue was shown too clever and Silver was a Jughead.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
WALL OF TEXT INCOMING :D:D

Red - I don't think he is well defined, actually. In the beginning, he was like a less sneaky Gold or more civlized Saph. Or a less angsty Ash. Now he's just the plainest character there is. He doesn't have any special traits to describe him other than being the friendliest perhaps. And strongest. Thumbs down

Green (male) - I like him. He is not as silly as Gary or as unreasonable as the game's protagonist. He has a history and he develops over time into someone who can actually be a likeable friend. I love when he trains with Yellow. Thumbs up.

Blue (female) - Just as with Red, I can't really define her anymore. In the R/B, Yellow and C/S/C arcs, she had personality. She was the escaped Rocket girl who knew how to deceive and use strategy, and she was downright funny in the R/B arc. But after FR/LG she's just a plain, kind girl. What happened to all that personality? I don't see it anymore and I'm sad for that because it was interesting. Thumbs down.

Yellow - An original character that I like. I think they gave her an initial adorable personality. She is the most naive and happy go lucky there is, and for long we thought (or were supposed to think) she was a boy. Then, with all her pacifist views and special battlestyle and Viridian powers, she turns into quite a deep character starting with the battle of Lance or maybe even earlier. In the Crystal arc, she shows this further when she tries to help everyone and in FR/LG she is an adorable teenager :D Overall, I think they did well on this character. Thumbs up.

Gold - He's a rascal who cares for gambling and women. I found him awesome in the G/S/C arc for his relentlessness, but in the HG/SS arc it's kind of annoying really, haha. He has got some solid personality traits to lean back on, but I don't really think they have made him that a deep character out of that. Maybe not everyone has to be deep though. He has his principles and he sticks to them no matter what, which makes him uncomplicated. Thumbs middle?

Silver - He's cool. His story and his actions make him cool throughout G/S/C and onwards into FR/LG. He is super serious and a downright counterpart to Gold, which I think Gold needs. I think they took the concept of the game rival and the hint that he is Giovanni's son and turned it into something fascinating with his and Blue's backstory. Thumbs up.

Crystal - One of my favorite characters. She isn't serious as much as she lacks a sense of humor, lol. She has a history too, but I guess she is a bit of a Mary Sue. She is a researcher assistant, she helps children, she is best buddies with a cool team of pokémon, she overcame injury and evil people and became buddies with Suicune, well not really but. Yeah, she's a Mary Sue. It's okay though! For me. But if I'll be a bit less biased, thumbs... uh, Thumbs middlewards.

Ruby - He is a Gary Stu, if anything. He has a "tragic" past, angsty relations to his father, he is good at one thing (contests) and struggles to keep himself from doing the other thing (battles) even though he is really good at it. He is overpowered :p To top it off, he is a gentleman who knows how to dress and behave, and he is quite adorable as well. He's too much for my taste, even though I do like him. They shouldn't have let him steal Saph's battling spotlight so much. So I'm not really sure but I'll just say thumbs middle :P

Saph - she's amazing. Very unique, with her wild life. Her backstory isn't quite as suspenseful as Ruby's, since she can actually talk to her father lol. I think it's adorable how she loves Ruby and want to be girly for him (somewhat). She isn't overly deep, perhaps, not like Ruby. But her concept is better executed than his is. Thumbs up.

Emerald - sadly, I'm one of those people who just can't get past his terrible design. Not even the backstory is enough to justify that. And also, his personality is annoying at best and I really think they should have just gone with Wally instead - Wally was an interesting character! Emerald gets thumbs down.

Dia - He's alright, but there's a hint of Gary Stu in him actually. They centered his personality around some traits that were very definite. Such as him being somewhat slow, a glutton and very righteous and loyal. That's pretty much what he is. He can doze off and be silly and then suddenly act a very smart and brave hero. It doesn't all add up in my mind, and I'm not sure how I'd have wanted them to portray him if otherwise either. Wow that was a strange sentence :x Thumbs down.

Pearl - Okay, I love pearl. He is my favorite character alongside Crys, possibly even more so. He has a history even though we don't get to see much more of it than a bit of Palmer. He is very alike the game rival but smarter I'd say. I love that he is kind of the one who won Platina's first battles by coaching her xD And also his relationship with his pokémon is deeper than between the other Sinnoh dex holders and theirs. I think he is a well defined and developed character. Thumbs up.

Platina - I don't find her bland, actually. Her not showing facial expressions in the first chapters is hilarious and cute, and her helplessness when it comes to doing things in the real world is adorable. Her history explains it, which is what matters the most for me. Later on, in Platinum arc, she turns into a very serious and strong battler which is a biiiit too much of Ruby for me, but I still think she has more personality than Blue. Thumbs up.

As for Black and White, I can't really say much as I've only read some chapters and haven't got a good feel for the characters yet. But White seems like a mix of Blue and Crystal while Black seems like a mix of Red and Gold. Not too interesting characters imo, but I'll read on and we'll see what I think then ^^

I understand that the characters are based on the game ones, where the rival always is a male (even in Unova, there was Cheren too, they just couldn't have let Bianca be cool and actually good!). And I'm not going to argue about that there should be more female dex holders. The authors have a good mix of female and male characters in the supporting cast, with gym leaders and other original or game based characters, so that's good enough for me! A favorite is Marge or whatever she was really called, the Team Magma woman in Hoenn who talked with Ruby on occasions.

tl;dr Overall, I think they have made the characters pretty deep considering it's a pokémon thing. The anime doesn't go anywhere near this, really. And the games don't let us see as much as the manga does, doesn't give as much exposition.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I like all the characters. (OK, maybe except Emerald, he was a bit too annoying and his appearance really does stink)

Red is cool though a little baseless, Green is a badass, Blue was cool at first but kinda drifted away from her original personality in FR/LG, Gold is my favourite by afar, Silver is a not-so-close second, Crystal is ok; don't really know much about her, Ruby is pretty awesome and so is Sapphire (I think they are the only 'Dex holders with any kind of developed relationship?), Dia is pretty much like me so I can relate to him haha, Pearl is what I expected him to be like (though that's alright too) and I find Platina's personality hilariously cute.

There you go, me opinions.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think Dia, Pearl and Platina have a great relationship as well, even though it doesn't run as deep as for Ruby and Saph perhaps.

I think maybe in the beginning, they made Red a typical carefree hero, Green the annoyingly cool antagonist and Blue was just "the girl" which might be why she is difficult to define compared with the other girls.

Back