• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokétheories/Headcanons

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
  • Lineages and family-related headcanons are in order!

-Although it seems that there is no ancestor to Roark and Byron in PLA... there is: it's Charm. She is related to both Bertha and Agatha - and Bertha is Byron's mother, the wife of the Underground Man, and Roark's grandmother.
    -Arezu is a direct descendant of the Diamond Clan founder who looks like R/S/E!Maxie. In turn, she will count not only Mars of Team Galactic among her descendants, but also OR/AS!Maxie, Ariana, and Silver. Maxie, Ariana and Mars are all siblings, born in that order, and Ariana is Silver's mother, but we all know that already even though it was never officially confirmed.
    -Iscan and Palina both unofficially adopted the PLA protagonist and had biological kids of their own. Some of their descendants moved to Hoenn and started what would eventually become Team Aqua. (Not sure who would be related by blood to them though - Archie, Shelly, Matt, two of them, or all three.) Marlon also descends from them, which would perfectly explain his "the sea accepts all rivers" approach to life.
    -Cyrus's sh!tty upbringing was a direct, and quite likely unintended, result of the reputation Cyllene built as Commander of the Galaxy Expedition Team. She was known for keeping her cool no matter how much was thrown at her, so her descendants aspired to be like her and then passed on the same philosophy to their own descendants, corrupting it in the process.

And one that will almost certainly be proven wrong when Scarlet/Violet come out, not that it isn't a crack theory already:
    -Geeta is an Inteleon wearing a human disguise, and Chairman Rose's original starter that he, for some reason, abandoned. She took on a similar appearance to that of Rose and Peony's late mother, and her "team" is really a clowder of similarly abandoned or discarded Pokémon who wanted to make it big, like the Town Musicians of Bremen. In short, she is using her mad spy skills to be loved and appreciated despite her off-putting appearance... although she does, deep down, want to humilliate Rose, not knowing that he has already done that to himself.

Last edited:

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    -Guns exist, but using them seems less useful when that ten year old owns god.
    -Mewtwo was asleep before you challenge them, and they were just grumpy. Same reason for why they attacked in game. (Disclaimer: Doesn't work for the anime.)
    -Victini was made to beat things like Giratina. It's the main reason Arceus would make a Pokémon stronger then them.
    -Red secretly has a seventh Pokémon on Mt Silver. A alakazam so he can warm up.
    -Oak is a terrible father figure. It might just be canon.
    -Galar is the weakest region trainer wise. This is because of most, non-player, people failing at Kabu, thus making them give up, and making other never try.
    -The ranking of the Champions from worst to best goes like this.
    Trace
    (Lance, Alder, Wallace, Steven)
    Iris
    Blue
    (Cynthia and Leon)
    If they're in parenthesis I'm not certain on their placement. Player characters are too hard to judge. Not certain on this.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Here are some takes I've accrued across the years that I think I haven't seen on this thread before:

- Gengar is Clefable's shadow
    - The existence of malasadas imply that Pokémon Portugal exists somewhere out there in the word, probably bordering Paldea

And here's the borderline unhinged one that I came up in like five minutes:

- The existence of Unova and Alola (Pokémon America) and the throwaway mention of Pokémon India (via Copperajah, and possibly Gumshoos) implies that Galar was seafaring and encountered many other countries.

This might tie in with "The War" and explain some things like:
    ~ why Unova only has native Pokémon in BW (they were mostly isolated)
    ~ why they started to get more Pokémon in BW2 (relaxed borders after BW, maybe due to PWT or Pokestar Studios and some Pokemon were smuggled in and became invasive species)
    ~ why Surge is an "American Soldier" (Unovan that kinda ended up in Pokemon Japan after the war)

And would tie in with Galar already having some revisionist history.

Here's one that makes a disturbing amount of sense when thinking about it, hence why I don't want to think about it. Koga isn't really a native Kantonian, he's just a non-PokéJapan foreigner appropriating the ninja arts for who knows what purpose. I hope to Arceus he isn't, but the fact he has a fake Japanese accent both in the anime and in the English version of Masters (whereas his daughter doesn't have one in the latter) is... concerning. He also speaks with an odd accent in the Japanese original, probably antiquated linguistics. I'd really like to think this is just a standard "jokingly slander your fave" kind of theory my brain came up with, but the amount of sense it makes after seeing a certain someone in PLA is tearing me apart. ;_;

Very late but since you're still commenting on the thread I though I'd comment on this.

The odd accent is probably the "samurai accent" (and antiquated linguistics, yeah).

Basically there's a very stereotypical way for samurai / ninja to speak in Japanese period dramas and before Naruto happened, it wasn't uncommon to have ninja / samurai characters speak in those antiquated speech "accents".

Plus, every so often Japanese media just has characters that speak weird for no particular reason. Think Naruto's "-ttebayo" which means absolutely nothing and so translators made do with filler sentences like "Believe it." or "ya know" to fill the dead air / add to the vibe that Naruto is a loud and talkative person.

The intended effect to Japanese audiences was probably just making as obvious as possible that Koga's a ninja.

I guess the analogy to international audiences would be something more like "Koga is a Ren Faire Nerd and he speaks in Old English everywhere because he's a cartoon character. Janine is also a Ren Faire Nerd but since she's associated to Koga, who is not subtle at all, she can be more understated."

It wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese accent in Masters was the translation team trying to localize his ninja speak, since Koga doesn't speak like most people and some other character probably commented on his archaic ninja speak.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Oh boy. Headcanons are my heart and soul, and I'm not sure which of my thoughts to include here as "headcanons/theories" as opposed to straight-out fanfiction 😅 But I'll try. First, the shorter headcanons, which I judge as more "interpretation" than "theory" and/or which are not original to me...

Spoiler:

And now, three more "out-there" theories that, as far as I can tell, I'm the first one to come up with:

Eternatus is not the originator of Dynamax
    Spoiler:

Gym Leader Valerie is a Ditto
    Spoiler:

Regigigas is a Pokemon-human hybrid
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I can't wait to make some character headcanons, now that I'm paying attention, but here are a few that came to mind right away.

• Pokerus is caused by an array of Virus Type Pokemon that have been partially named and discovered, but this pokedex was not released to the public.
    • In the depths of Mt. Silver...
      Spoiler:

• Missingno is a genetic experiment similar to Ditto, created by performing a magical ritual *cough* coding script *cough* on the same nucleic mass used to produce Dittos
    • Leon, the Champion from Galos,
      Spoiler:
    • Elsewhere, in Galos:
      Spoiler:

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • The 'woman' who the BW2 protagonist takes their lost phone is actually a gay man who heavilly cross dresses. No really it does look like that and I'll refuse to see otherwise.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I remember having a theory that Erika, the Celadon City Gym Leader that specializes in Grass-type Pokémon, was a lesbian back in the day. In the anime, I recall Erika strongly not wanting males in her gym. In the games, all the trainers in her gym are female as well. When she is defeated, she provides winners with the Rainbow Badge, a well-known symbol of LGBT pride, despite rainbows having nothing to do with plants. Other than that, I don't think I have any other theories that I can recall. If I can, I will be sure to provide an update.

Back