• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeball or Ultra Ball?

Aquerex

A New Beggining
Years
  • Ultra Balls are better for catching legendaries.
    Personally, I like to try and use Premier Balls, but those work the least for me. I can't even catch a Magikarp with a Premier Ball even after it's asleep and weakened.

But, yeah, Ultra Balls.

Years
  • I use Ultra Balls when catching legendaries, I actually never tried with a regular Pokeball before.

pokemonloverXD

I love Ash!
    Years
  • Ultra balls>Pokeballs, I've never caught any legendaries with Pokeballs b4 in my life, which is sad...
    Premier balls are just like Pokeball, they just have better design

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • it actually doesnt matter. I've done the math and unless you use a false swipe/Sleep combo so that the math is maxed out, UltraBalls are just as effective as Pokeballs because any higher than 2 hp and not being Asleep/Frozen, the catch equation will default to the secondary equation where the ball type doesnt matter. So quite literally, catching legendaries is mostly up to luck.

Definitely this. I isially have quite a variety of poek balls on hand, so sometimes, I'll try using Ultra Balls, Poke Balls, luxury balls, net balls, or anything else I have, mainly because, as stated above, they all will usually work the same for me.

Volumknappen

Legendary Pokenoob
    Years
  • I see what you guys are talking about here. But how can i see what a Pokeball do?
    It stands that the Greatball is better than the Pokeball, and the Ultraball is better than the Greatball. Shouldn't the Ultraball be best then?

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I use Great Balls to catch virtually anything. I never checked the catch rate of Ultras, but it doesn't seem high enough to bother. :\

CptnSmonge

Pineapple Pirate
    Years
  • I've always had more luck with a standard pokeball than an Ultra Ball. And I love Premiere Balls even though they have a catch rate of -1. I caught Azelf and Uxie in Premiere Balls, but I had to break down and go Ultra Ball on Mesprit. I wish there was a feature to change the Pokeball--not with capsules but a completely different ball.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    GREAT BALL. I use Great Balls when catching most legends (especially in Colosseum) and it seems to work well so far. Also, I prefer Premier Balls to Poke Balls 'cuz they look cooler. Especially with a Shiny in them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2011
    y now atrick that makes ultra work like master no action replay hold b hear pepul b when it open,s then release when it closes it,s hard to pull of but it works but only whit ultra

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Wait! If you use AR then you can get Cherish Ball, which I used to capture a few Pokemon. It makes them illegit, but who cares? It looks cool!

Also last fighter 36, you need to learn proper grammar as I barely understood you, but from what I get- you said that you have to press B when the ball opens. It doesn't work- the chances are altered by 0.000%!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Ultra Balls are better, technically.

However, I use Premier Balls where possible, i.e. post-game captures, as they're so costly.

They just look cooler

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Ahh... The age old argument. :) For me my preference has always been the Ultra Ball, not just for legendaries but for more or less everything. I remember over 10 years ago I caught Mewtwo on the original Red with an Ultra Ball (back then Balls could still 'miss' a Pokémon), and I've used them on legendaries ever since.

Though that being said, I don't exclusivly use them. In fact I try to use Dusk Balls a lot because everything looks reeeeeaaaallly cool when they're sent out. Kinda badass :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    I like the look of when a Pokemon is released from a regular pokeball, but I must say, considering the supposedly "higher catch rate", most of my legendaries are caught in Ultra Balls.
    ...soooooo many ultra balls wasted T-T

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2010
    My dream is catching a legit Shiny Ho-Oh in a Premier Ball. That thing would be so badass :D

But in terms of this argument, Pokeballs definately. They just... seem like the right ball to use. Now, I usually catch things in Dusks, Greats, Poke/Premiers.

My friend catches all legendaries in Pokeballs. So, why can't everyone? ;)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    y now atrick that makes ultra work like master no action replay hold b hear pepul b when it open,s then release when it closes it,s hard to pull of but it works but only whit ultra
    Up and B, Down and B, Left and B, Right and B, Up and A, Down and A...

That kind of trick has be around since R/B/Y. People have tried various button combinations for years to make the catch rate higher. None of them make a difference.

To answer the question, I use whatever is handy. I try Ultra Balls first, because they're supposedly better, but it makes no difference to me. I've had Ultra Balls fail, Poke Balls fail, whatever sphere I'm using fail. Whatever works when it works works.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2011
    no throw ball press and hold b really fast and right when it closes stop that,s the trick y hear it only works for emerald ruby sapphire firered leafgreen it hard but it works release at right moment

Hybrid Theory

Who needs friends? hehe..HAHA
    Years
  • I just use Great balls because i think they look coolest xD and to me, no matter what type of pokeball i use, the catch rate isn't any better. xP

Back