• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokecommunity Game Jam!

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
A quick update for those of you still on the fence about participating in the game jam: Early registration has now ended. However, you can register at any point during the game jam and I'll give you a randomized type for your entry as soon as I see your post.

Also, if you still want to turn in an entry but can't make the midnight on Sunday deadline, feel free to turn in a non-competitive entry by midnight on Monday. All entries are going to be placed into a gallery for everyone to enjoy at the end, competitive or not.

And it is happening now!

First of all, thanks so much to our early sign-up participants for expressing their interest in this game jam! I'm sure that I speak for myself and the other three judges when I say that we're really excited to see what each of you comes up with for your respective gyms. With some luck, I plan to be checking in frequently tomorrow and Sunday to make sure that everyone's on-track with their respective games, as well as assigning types to any last-minute entries.

The types assigned to each of you is as follows:

• Saving Raven - Dark Type
  • Whitney's Shaymin - Psychic Type
  • Ephraim225 - Normal Type
  • Nathan - Dragon Type
  • Badhaas - Fighting Type
Remember, I need your submissions by this time on Sunday night in order to judge them competitively. If that deadline doesn't work for you, feel free to submit as late as midnight on Monday night, but be warned: often in a game jam, it's not worth it to opt for the extra time. Use whatever hosting you're comfortable with, just make sure that the other judges and I can get to it without having to register an account somewhere other than Pokecommunity! :P

If any of you find this helpful, here are a few quick tips that I've found helpful in game jams:

• Plan a little bit before jumping into your editor cold - the gym map, the power level of a player at this stage of their Pokemon adventure, or the overall theme of the gym. RPG Maker in particular is a bit of a slow tool, and it's easier to manipulate ideas on paper than when you've built a map in your engine.
  • If you get stuck in the design process, try thinking about it from a different angle. Where is the Gym? What sort of building is it? Did the Leader inherit the gym, or build it themselves? Is it outdoors? Indoors? What sort of environment would they train their Pokemon in?
  • Bend and BREAK your resources - if you've got an idea for a gym with multiple levels on the same screen(Crasher Wake or Byron's gyms for instance), then make some elevated tiles in paint and do it! If you want to use windows to represent magical mirrors that do something when interacted with, do it! We can use our imagination, and crude placeholder graphics are fine if you can get your idea across.
  • If your choices are between refining what you have and expanding into new territory, try to refine what you have. A game jam is a severely limited timeframe, and while a longer experience can be fun, the goal is something relatively short and sweet, considering it's only one gym.
  • The above said, don't focus solely on presentation. Make the gameplay and player experience the best it can be without stressing over art assets. We can use our imagination if the Scientist dude is supposed to represent a secret agent type character.
  • Above all else, have fun with this. While there is pressure with the deadline, it's no big deal if you decide at the end that you don't want to ever mess with this gym again. This isn't meant to stress anyone out.

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Hey, one of the judges here. I'd just like to say good luck to everyone and Java's Missingno. has some good tips. :)

I look forward to seeing everyone's submissions!

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
"Oh man, if I got Normal type I could try out that thing I always wanted to...YOU MEAN I GOT NORMAL TYPE?!"

^My reaction XD The types we all got are pretty interesting, I have to say. Looking forward to how everyone else does :3

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I'm so glad you're okay with the normal type! I was especially worried about that because I knew that some folks would find it boring and others would find it interesting to work with.

I'm pretty happy with the types that have shown up - some types are a little bland to work with - for instance, how many times can a Fire gym be in an active volcano before it gets boring? How many garden-based Grass gyms can there possibly be? :P

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
I had a few ideas in mind for some of the other types, so I was prepared. I could go into detail, but if I did, I may as well start planning a full game :P

Actually, thinking about it now when the gym's already in progress I am a little worried that there isn't a strong connection between my gym and its type. But, I'm happy with my idea.

Also, active volcanoes are NEVER boring.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
In the back of my mind I always knew I'd get dark, iunno why, but I thought I would - It's harder to make a dark type since there hasn't been one, but at least it'll be easier to make it original :P
Good luck guys

Years
There may not be a Dark Gym (yet) but it's quite simple to make one as there are a good amount of possibilities for you to choose from. (such as the the 4th gym in G/S/C or 2nd gym in R/S/E even though they aren't dark type gyms, they would still work well.)

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
Years
^ Why AREN'T those two Dark-type gyms anyways? I mean, in Gen 2 there are only four ghosts, and in Gen 3 fighting in total darkness doesn't exactly constitute Fighting-types.

Years
^ Why AREN'T those two Dark-type gyms anyways? I mean, in Gen 2 there are only four ghosts, and in Gen 3 fighting in total darkness doesn't exactly constitute Fighting-types.

The ghost type gym is okay because ghosts can fade through objects (supposedly) hence why you can fall through the floor in the gym (even if it's just a weird teleportation to the front of the gym)

You also may want to edit my judging slot from "hansiec" to "Umbreon".

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Hey everyone, as we approach the final 24 hours of the game jam for competitive entries, I felt I should remind everyone that the submission deadline for the competitive entries is tomorrow at midnight (pacific time)!

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I come bearing gifts! Firstly, for all participants, here is the code for a handsome little badge* for your signature:

HTML:
[url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326924][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zSNTkuy.png[/IMG][/url]
And for our awesome judges, as a thanks for your hard work, here's the code for a unique, judges-only one:

HTML:
[url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326924][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VRirCgU.png[/IMG][/url]
Winners of the jam in each category will also receive a unique one, and first, second and third prizes will receive one with a Master Ball, Ultra Ball, and Great Ball respectively.

*badge not applicable towards challenges to your local Pokemon League :P

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years

Well, I guess I'm the first one done, but here is my Contest Entry!

Good luck to everyone else! I hope everything is coming together in the final hours.

A side note, if you play it, try and play it not just to bang out the gym badge, but to enjoy the town and NPC's, there's more than just the Leader~

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years

Well, I guess I'm the first one done, but here is my Contest Entry!

Good luck to everyone else! I hope everything is coming together in the final hours.

A side note, if you play it, try and play it not just to bang out the gym badge, but to enjoy the town and NPC's, there's more than just the Leader~

Alrighty, received and downloaded! Be warned that while I will explore the game to its entirety, the judging will be focused more on the gym experience than on the overall game.

I was done a little earlier :P

Oh uh did we need a screenshot or two? Ah well. I want it to be a surprise anyways.

Ephraim's Normal Gym

The timestamp on your post would disagree. ;P

Screenshots weren't necessary; Saving Raven asked me before submitting if I'd like them, and since I was planning on putting some in the gallery, I was more than happy to receive them. :P

Received and downloaded!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I was done a little earlier :P

Just throwing it out there, but you can activate debug mode in your game, but I'm sure you didn't know about it.

I like your balloons by the way.

Alrighty, received and downloaded! Be warned that while I will explore the game to its entirety, the judging will be focused more on the gym experience than on the overall game.
Oh yes I understand that, I'm just mentioning it for your own benefit :) As well as enjoyment!

Back