• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Kaizo

How Kaizo was this?

• Truly Kaizo

Votes: 1,171 71.9%
  • Fairly Challenging

Votes: 266 16.3%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 134 8.2%
  • Needs more Kaizo map edits

Votes: 66 4.1%
  • Unfair

Votes: 176 10.8%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
Have the same problem with my seadra, tried levelling it up to 45 holding dragon scale but that didn't work.

Would like to know how to evolve trade mons in general, if they've all been changed yet.

It evolves at lvl 55

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 12, 2020
Currently playing this game and I have to say even though the game has made me rage more than once (and I haven't even beaten Roxanne yet), I do appreciate the creativity put into this hack. The fact that you can catch all Pokemon from Gen 1-3 definitely adds fun to the challenge and creates a more colorful and lively environment to explore than the vanilla game. It's also nice to see an AI that's actually competent for once forcing you to rely on strategy rather than just spamming medicine items and your most powerful move.

There is one thing that I'm iffy about though, and that's the fact that some of the bosses have legendary Pokemon. I feel like that's just passing the line from "extremely difficult yet fair challenge for what you get" into "just giving the enemies overpowered Pokemon for the sake of making it unfairly hard". It also just looks really bizarre and out-of-place to see NPCs with these canonically rare, mythical, and hard-to-get Pokemon and some of the choices barely make any sense. Why would Steven, a Hoenn trainer who specializes in Steel/Rock-types and more interested in collecting rare rocks than Pokemon, have his hands on a Mewtwo? Also since you can't get legendaries until post-game that just makes this technically cheating on the AI's part. I understand it's supposed to be the hardest challenge in the game but it's just my opinion and frankly it'd nicer to see them with a more creative and varied team than just half of it being overpowered legendaries.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Currently playing this game and I have to say even though the game has made me rage more than once (and I haven't even beaten Roxanne yet), I do appreciate the creativity put into this hack. The fact that you can catch all Pokemon from Gen 1-3 definitely adds fun to the challenge and creates a more colorful and lively environment to explore than the vanilla game. It's also nice to see an AI that's actually competent for once forcing you to rely on strategy rather than just spamming medicine items and your most powerful move.

There is one thing that I'm iffy about though, and that's the fact that some of the bosses have legendary Pokemon. I feel like that's just passing the line from "extremely difficult yet fair challenge for what you get" into "just giving the enemies overpowered Pokemon for the sake of making it unfairly hard". It also just looks really bizarre and out-of-place to see NPCs with these canonically rare, mythical, and hard-to-get Pokemon and some of the choices barely make any sense. Why would Steven, a Hoenn trainer who specializes in Steel/Rock-types and more interested in collecting rare rocks than Pokemon, have his hands on a Mewtwo? Also since you can't get legendaries until post-game that just makes this technically cheating on the AI's part. I understand it's supposed to be the hardest challenge in the game but it's just my opinion and frankly it'd nicer to see them with a more creative and varied team than just half of it being overpowered legendaries.

Oh, trust me, when I first played through Emerald Kaizo, I kept complaining that this game is unfair AF. But now I can go through the game with only Psychic types and make it to Glacia with only Fire types. I appreciate the challenge that vanilla Emerald lacks, but I agree that SHF went a bit too far. Though, you would ideally use Pokémon (in the early game) that you would not normally think are good (like Magcargo and Xatu), and are free to change teams throughout the game once you studied all the major opponents' teams. It is unfair that opponents have legendaries while you can only get the Regis before winning the elite 4, as well as set-up/weather moves while you have access to very few set-up moves before the post-game (Agility, Meteor Mash and Growth). Steven is a trash champion in the canon games, so SHF had a very hard time revamping him so that he's an actually good opponent. Mewtwo, in a way, is a fossil. (And Deoxys gets owned by base 130s and priority lol).

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 25, 2021
Is there a changelog to this hack? I got a prepatched emerald kaizo on my phone and I want to know what patch I'm at so the info i have on the game is more reliable.

Pokechu!123

I know the username sucks...
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Nov 22, 2023
This is truly kaizo level. Even though Roxanne and Brawly are pushovers, Wattson and Flannery are hard, It took me the guts and facade combo to win the fight. Norman literally has a legendary pokemon, Winona is Not that hard, tate and liza are hard, and Juan and Wallace are Intermediate. What really scared me was the elite four. I did not know that the latis in Drake's team had the Soul Dew(One of the most broken items in the game). Really loved it. The post game was rewarding for all the hard work, and I transferred the mythicals and everything to my Fire red game(I was doing pokedex completion). Thanks for such a good experience

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 2, 2020
Maybe I'm an idiot, but on the romhacking dot net page I can only find a download to a .rar file, and not to a .ips file which is required for Lunar IPS. Am I doing something wrong here?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 2, 2020
Hey guys im just wondering if theres a list or any information anyone can give me on pokemon that can evolve that couldnt without trading in the original (onix, gengar, machoke, etc) i know some go by leveling and some with hold items and some with stones but if anyone has which levels they each evolve would be amazing, thanks in advance!

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Sep 28, 2020
hi, i was wondering if its posible to catch dragonair or tauros, i am trying to catch both of them but every time they escape from the ultra balls(safari balls in tauros case) i was wondering how low was the catch rate for this two pokemons
Edit:i finally catch a tauros in route 123, the only pokemon left that i want to catch its dragonair
Edit 2:OH GOD i finally catch a dragonair, it took sooo long to catch one, his catch rate seems to be lower than a beldum, it took nearly 30 ultra balls to catch one

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Who successfully completed an advanced nuzlocke of Emerald Kaizo? (They must've used set mode.) You don't have to send video links, just the name of the people that did win.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 21, 2020
i have a question because i have 6 badges and can't get on the top of mt pyre (stairs are blocked) and i have no idea why and i can't progress idk if i can ask here but any ideas why?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 21, 2020
oh and i could use fly to LILYCOVE CITY even tho 2 aqua grunts are blocking it not sure if it's intentional

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 18, 2020
I've completed the game except for one little thing. I can't get a baltoy. Pokedex says Area Unknown and Mirage Tower already disappeared. Any ideas??

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
i have a question because i have 6 badges and can't get on the top of mt pyre (stairs are blocked) and i have no idea why and i can't progress idk if i can ask here but any ideas why?
You need Fly for this. Make sure you get the Mach bike.
I've completed the game except for one little thing. I can't get a baltoy. Pokedex says Area Unknown and Mirage Tower already disappeared. Any ideas??
Catch Claydol in Route 111 (sandstorm), and breed it. Edit: With a Ditto

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
Ever since the intro said it was pretty much impossible to Nuzlocke the elite four, I have been tinkering with ways to get through it without losing any party members and minimal hax on set mode. I think I finally found one. I also tried not to use pseudo-legendaries in this team, to make it a bit more of a challenge, but ultimately having a good steel type, is critical, and none do the job nearly as well as Metagross

The team is
Metagross - attack boosting nature/high attack iv
Slaking
Charizard
Hariyama
Ludicolo - rain dish
Milotic

Other pokemon that seemed viable/worked well: Swampert, Slowking, Arcanine, Bellossom, Claydol, Gardevoir, Glalie

Sidney: It is just a matter of timing your switches right. For me, he will always use his Machamp after his Sabeleye. If you start with Metagross, he will try to EQ it. So you switch to Charizard, then he will try to rock slide, so you switch to Hariyama, then you fake out and cross chop/superpower. A similar switch is required on Tauros, but otherwise, the battle is pretty simple.

Phoebe: This battle you can even get some hax against you and still win without losing Pokemon. I was hit by hypnosis and missed some attacks due to double team but still managed it with ease. Having a heightened attack stat on your Metagross is important because then you can 2 shot Sabeleye, which is helpful to prevent Sabeleye from setting up more double teams.

The Glacia battle becomes ridiculously easy with this team, the only problem is making sure you don't get hit by the explosions and self-destruct. Even if you do, you can still win. For example, if you switch in Metagross, when Wailword self-destructs it will survive. It never happened to me with Regice, but I am assuming it could take that too. Ludicolo is an absolute gem in this matchup. The combination of rain dish and giga drain, makes it recovery extremely strong. Using this strategy, dewgong, swampert, and lapras are KO'd incredibly easily. Then between, Hariyama and Metagross, the rest of the battle is pretty straightforward.

Lance: His Latios is really really annoying. I think I spent most of my runs trying to figure out a strategy to work around its draco meteor. It will one-shot pretty much anything you throw at it. Ultimately, Milotic is bulky enough to tank a hit and hit back with an ice beam. But, that still won't KO! Instead, use mirror coat. Another strategy is to just soft-reset till you freeze with ice beam. Metagross doesn't work as a lead because it's meteor mash can't 1 HKO without a crit. Outside of his Latios, the rest of Lance's team is fairly straightforward tho. Having an ice punch on your Ludicolo is helpful.

Steven: Personally, I found Lance to be harder than Steven because of that over-powered Latios. Though, this battle is incredibly difficult without a fire-type because Jirachi and Metagross are so bulky. But Charizard can OHKO both of them with ease. From there, you just should have a good amount of priority moves on your team as Deoxys will usually weaken itself into range, for one priority move to KO it. Arcanine's extremespeed is extremely useful for that, but since it provides less value in switching in on earthquakes, I still think Charizard is better.

The last thing I'll note is that Slaking is incredibly powerful. On almost all my runs, Slaking picked up the most amount of KOs. Since it has great speed, after the turn it switches in, it usually moves first. Moreover, it is so powerful, that it can often OHKO a lot of foes. Even when it doesn't, just by smarty cycling switches, pretty much no pokemon can take two attacks by Slaking.

I understand that a lot of these pokemon are rare encounters, so it is hard to get them on your first encounter. But the Elite Four's teams are all so punishing and broken, that you do need the perfect team, in my experience. Put together, this was a really fun exercise, and I hope this helps anyone trying to beat the Elite Four without losing any party members. If any of you have tried something similar or have built a team from more common encounters that can beat the Elite Four without losing a member or lots of haxs, I'd be really interested to see it!

I know you tried to highlight that it's a hard team to put together...but the fact of the matter is that you can't nuzlocke the E4 if you can't nuzlocke the rest of the game before it.
How are you "nuzlocke"-ing anything with that team? Do you know what a nuzlocke is? While there are general additives someone can put on their own nuzlocke (a notable one being leaving battles in 'set' mode and calling it an 'advanced nuzlocke'), a universal rule is that you get 1 chance per route to catch a pokemon. The pokemon listed on your nuzlocke team have ludicrous odds of being the spawns you get 1 chance of for your route. Generally it's a " LOL WUT" when anyone wants to slot a NUZLOCKE team in this game with a pseudo legendary since the 1% encounter rate is just 1 of the problems in catching them. But when you add in the spawn rates of the rest of your "nuzlocke" team it's obscene to think you'd roll up to the E4 with this as a nuzlocke squad. If you're using metagross you might as well have a whole legendary squad lol. If you're interpreting "Nuzlocke the E4" to mean "make it through E4 with no deaths" ... that's not what nuzlocking the E4 is. You can't nuzlocke the E4 unless you nuzlocke the 8th gym, and the aqua hideout, and the magma hideout, and the 7th gym and so on and so on. You also note that your metagross has attack nature and high attack IVs. ..... so it's a farmed mon? Last I checked there's only 1 instance where it's sometimes accepted to farm out a mon's stats and it's doing resets to manipulate your starter...and again that's a very hard "sometimes" when it comes to a nuzlocke. Some people are ok with it, some aren't and it depends on difficulty of certain things etc... You can't farm out some wild encounter for it's nature/IV's.

The reason it's so hard to nuzlocke the game is because of your odds of getting a good team for E4 playing it as a nuzlocke game. I'll be honest I haven't tried it with set mode, because the idea of getting the right pokemon to accomplish this without hax is aids. I see a lot of people trying to accomplish a set "advanced" mode nuzlocke that don't fundamentally understand how to regular nuzlocke the game.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
Who successfully completed an advanced nuzlocke of Emerald Kaizo? (They must've used set mode.) You don't have to send video links, just the name of the people that did win.

Isn't the community waiting for a regular nuzlocke to be shopped?....you here being like "who's nuzlocke with set rules" is kinda lolwut. There aren't any of the youtubers that showcase this game with a successful nuzlocke either.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 25, 2021
How do you get Intimidate on Houndoom? Some lets plays indicated that Houndoom gets it, but all I'm getting are Early Bird Houndours...

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 25, 2021
Double post here, but this is wrt to completion of the game itself, rather than a question.
(I've posted this on reddit as well, but might give it a shoutout here as well)

My final team consisted of Sceptile, Houndoom, Dewong, Scizor, Espeon and Salamence.

Finally completed this exhausting game and am glad to have done it. Also extremely proud of myself for having done it in set mode, which gives the game a whole new layer of difficulty and complexity. Gives me a new perspective on Pokemon entirely and have a better idea of what synergies and Pokemon counters work best.

The MVP of this run was Phantom, my Sceptile. Grovyle has always been my favorite Pokemon thanks to its design so I refused to not use it despite people telling me it was terrible. Although it was lackluster for a long time, it is absolutely monstrous lategame. Outspeeds everything and has fantastic coverage with Leaf Blade, Giga Drain, ThunderPunch, Dragon Claw and Crunch. In fact, the highlight of the run was it 1v1ing Steven's Mewtwo, surviving a Flamethrower from it and subsequently oneshotting his Deoxys as well. Makes me love it all the more and am glad for EK for giving my favorite (kinda, since Grovyle is technically my favorite) so much love.

Scizor and Poliwrath were also great, the latter I swapped out in favor of Dewgong which handled Drake better and had access to good utility with Icy Wind and priority Ice Shards.

All in all, great game. Major props to SHF for knowing what a "difficulty mod" is.

I am a little annoyed with some aspects like having to have face Archie in the Seafloor Cavern with permanent rain with an HM slave (since you need Surf, Strength, Dive and even fucking Rock Smash) and also no access to setup moves. My primary concern is that the whole game revolved around outmuscling your opponents over strategy itself. Probably why I prefer Drayano hacks over these. Regardless, it was a new experience and am have glad to have played it. I give it a 7.5/10 overall

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
Do you plan on ever putting together a comprehensive guide/wiki on the game? Been trying to HC nuzlocke this, but it seems to just not really be viable. Tons of evolutions are changed, there's random coverage everywhere, TMs are changed, item locations, etc. And this would all be fine if there was proper documentation on it, but idk how you expect people to bother attempting a nuzlocke when they don't know their oddish evolves at level 16, that bullet seed is locked to two turns, etc.

Difficulty is fun, but never having any idea what you're up against definitely isn't.

Back