• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Kaizo

How Kaizo was this?

• Truly Kaizo

Votes: 1,171 71.9%
  • Fairly Challenging

Votes: 266 16.3%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 134 8.2%
  • Needs more Kaizo map edits

Votes: 66 4.1%
  • Unfair

Votes: 176 10.8%

• Total voters

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
Years
  • Do you plan on ever putting together a comprehensive guide/wiki on the game? Been trying to HC nuzlocke this, but it seems to just not really be viable. Tons of evolutions are changed, there's random coverage everywhere, TMs are changed, item locations, etc. And this would all be fine if there was proper documentation on it, but idk how you expect people to bother attempting a nuzlocke when they don't know their oddish evolves at level 16, that bullet seed is locked to two turns, etc.

Difficulty is fun, but never having any idea what you're up against definitely isn't.

Someone named Questionable Specimen posted a guide here several months ago. I'll repost the link assuming you can find use for it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EEYQ_eoRntlWUOKokVflq-HfiAcL5cnFlU0THtiXb_k/edit

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2020
    Is this hack just gonna be more of what you see in early routes?

I'm all for a more difficult pokemon play through, but so far this game has only been any more difficult than regular games because of the advantage that cpu players get in getting berries and consumables on everything, and getting better movesets than you're allowed to have access to. And from what I've read looking through this forum, it unfortunately seems like that trend continues.

I like having access to a wider variety, and higher quality of pokemon early. And i like that enemy CPUs are the same. But if this "hard mode" hack is going to consist of every pokemon being essentially immune to status due to lum berry, while as a trainer you have access to a very limited supply of berries at all, let alone good ones, then I don't want to invest hours into it.

So are there actually trainer AI changes that make better decisions? Or do AI trainers instead just seem harder bc they get unfair advantages due to item access and strictly better movesets than you can reasonably have?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Aug 12, 2022
    Yeah I did notice during my playthrough that a majority of trainers had lum berry (I know this since I used a confuse ray toxic stall umbreon on my team). You can't get lum berries until postgame but you can get items like King's Rock, Quick Claw, Smoke Ball, Sitrus Berries, and Chesto Berries from wild pokemon holding those items. My guide has a list of those wild held items and where to get them. The King's Rock especially saved me a few times during some late game battles.

There are some trainers that use certain unique strategies (mainly doubles battles like Norman and a few ghost type explosion users)

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2023
    Someone named Questionable Specimen posted a guide here several months ago. I'll repost the link assuming you can find use for it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EEYQ_eoRntlWUOKokVflq-HfiAcL5cnFlU0THtiXb_k/edit

Thank you! Though I notice, this is mainlly for just miscellaneous hack changes. Is there a document anywhere featuring exact movesets, items, etc. for major fights as well as random trainers? Would be nice to just look over at my other monitor before every battle, since honestly literally all of them require good prep if nuzlocking

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Ummm does trace work differently in this one since i found out the hard way that pikachu was able to hit me with thunderbolt even though i traced his lightning rod

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2020
    Lightning Rod in Gen 3 only guarantees that Electric Moves target the pokemon. It also bypasses accuracy checks, so the moves don't miss. It doesn't provide immunity or the Special Attack boost until Gen 5.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2021
    DecaPod on Twitch made a complete walkthrough guide with everything one might like to know about NPC Trainers. I copy/pasted it to Google Docs and made the headers to navigate easier but obviously all the credit has to go to him. https://docs.google.com/document/d/...X-wRu9oPJgRXu-Dtw/edit#heading=h.v3d6uzr10u1j

Follow his stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/decapod

If you want to have a look at more of his Emerald Kaizo resources, check here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xrjmpp9Dyb73T_cuSiat06sggZdTzlHK

All credit to DecaPod for the above resources. Clearly a lot of effort went into it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    this more than anything before it made me appreciate sharpedo as a pokemon. it can get a fantastic moveset of surf, crunch, ancientpower and poison fang, gets bite and i forget if its water gun or bubblebeam for early on, practically starts with the other 2, and is consistently powerful throughout the entire game. the only point it felt underpowered was the elite four, and by that point you have access to unlimited rare candies for replacing it. even then, doing so isnt neccessary to win, as it can put in work on glacia with ancient power and water resist, drake with ancient power and luck for a stat boost, and phoebe throughout. it can even help with the champion's final pokemon due to self damage. in addition, a second copy of it can learn all the hms required for archie and maxie, and if leveled enough, the surf hm is all it needs to still be helpful against them. i always knew it was the best hm slave in the region, but the moveset changes were all it needed to be one of the best for a playthrough, even with the higher difficulties. 8/10 would spam shark again.

edit: pic related, team i used for playthrough, not a nuzlocke, covered pokemon are salamence and flygon

Attachments

• Pokemon Emerald Kaizo
      kaizo emerald winning team.png
      182.2 KB · Views: 13
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    I'm loving the hack so far but I have one question. Why can't the bulbasaur line not learn leech seed/ingrain or any healing moves in general? I feel like those moves are one of the reasons why you would like to have the bulbasaur line in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2020
    I downloaded the 3 Movepool.txt files and ordered the Pokemon to look through.
    Pokemon missing besides the Poli line:
    Magmar, Tyrogue, Wynaut
    I also fixed some misspellings (like writing LV. instead of Lv.), if you want I can dm you the ordered txt files.

If its not too much, i would apprexiate a copy of the text file.

Thank you for your work.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2023
    Does anyone know if the milotic evolution method was changed in this game? I'm debating getting one but if the method didn't change from the beauty one, then I don't know if it is worth it to me. Have a feebas but want to breed for nature/ivs.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2023
    Plizzzzzz HELP! I need info about the EVs. I wanna train my pokemons EVs. The question: is everything normal about the EVs or it have changed ? Thankz Yooh! , I want my Swampert with 252 HP and 252 SDEF.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2021
    Would it be possible to share a patches which (1) remove EV gain and (2) prevent using items in battle?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Aug 12, 2022
    So I'm on the Emerald Kaizo chat on PokemonChallenge's discord and we just discovered something about the Champion's team that I want to mention in this forum.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2021
    Finally, I've beaten the final 4 only took me 244 hours xD
    Great game, this was probably the best pokemon game that I have ever played.
    I have to say, that there was a lot of grind in some places, and some locations were a bit unfair, but that just made the feeling of beating the final 4, like you actually accomplished something hard and challenging.
    Thanks to the creator for this awesome rom hack ☺️

Back