• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon just for Kids?

Forgiven

Sleatford champion 07-08
    Years
    I was playing my japanise pearl last week at school and poeple said that pokemon is just for kid. so i went through all the adult parts of the game and stuff like that. i was wounderin what other poeple think becouse i feel its a strong arument. if this is in the wrong catogory please move it

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I was playing my japanise pearl last week at school and poeple said that pokemon is just for kid. so i went through all the adult parts of the game and stuff like that. i was wounderin what other poeple think becouse i feel its a strong arument. if this is in the wrong catogory please move it

Yes pokemon does appeal to the younger part of the fan base, but it's a GAME, it can be played by anyone, so I think a lot of kids play it, but it's a game, and anyone is allowed to have fun and play it.

If you like playing it, play it! Don't worry what other people think in my opinion...

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I think the game is for all ages,

although the show is in the range for about 6-12 I guess.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    My school talks about pokemon few times and there, but no one makes fun of anybody, so it doesn't matter to me, because pokemon is for young kids and adults. the funny thing is that how can a little kid figure out EV training or IV's or other tough stuff to remember in the games. I think its funny, because its almost like an adult game I guess. lol :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    I am gonna turn 20 in two weeks, and My Gilrfriend 18 the day after I turn 20, We both play pokemon quite a bit. Her little brother won't sit long enough to play pokemon. Plus he doesn't like to read.

There is a lot of reading pokemon. I would say that you need to be at least 10 to really enjoy pokemon.

Older than that 14-16 to be competitive.

Years
    I'm 20 years old and thanks to competitive battling I still have a major interest in Pokemon. Thanks to IVs, EVs and other customizable things it has opened up a whole new world for me. I still have that immature side you see =P

It's a game, and one I find particularly entertaining. Yes it is mainly aimed at younger children, but there are aspects of the game that I mentioned like IVs/EVs etc that may appeal to older fans. But if I had to be honest, I love almost everything about the game, not just the battling.

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    I think you should be at least 10, so you know how to read, because if you cant read and understand the word "RELEASE" then well........

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    Those people are fools >.>

Pokemon is for ALL ages.

Acctually, to REALLY enjoy the game, you'd have to be around 10-ish, so you understand more

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2008
    Do I think Pokemon is marketted towards a slightly younger set than that to which I belong?

I do!

Do I care?

HECK NO. Pokemon is wicked sweet.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I read and played pokemon when I was 6. XD

I didn't think there was that much reading to it, I thought if you didn't read it and what people said the game wouldn't be as good.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
    I've like Pokemon since it came out when I was a kid. But guess what. My mom played all the games too. And she still does. How old is she you ask. 52. And I watch the show still, and I'm sure she would if there wasn't anything else on. Don't let a few kids get you down. Do what you like.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Pokemon just for kids? Absolutely not! I know of many adults who are very fond of Pokemon, as am I. I can't say I've lost a single bit of interest in Pokemon since the first day I started playing it. It still rocks and I won't let go of Pokemon until its gone.

And besides, Pokemon is for adults too since you gamble in the Game Corner. XD

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    One of Pokémon's strengths is that it can be simple enough for little kids to play, yet complex enough for even adults to have fun. It's unfortunate, however, that it's marketed towards little kids; if people see you playing what they think is a little kids game then you'll get quite a lot of flak from them.

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    It's a video game. If it brings you enjoyment, who cares if it's aimed at people your age or not? And anyway, the Pokemon franchise is big, and there's at least some aspect of it that could potentially appeal to any age group. I mean, EV training and competetive battling isn't exactly elementry-school level stuff from what I've seen.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    The only reason Pokemon is treated like it's just for kids is because of the anime (which fair play is aimed at kids), however the games are not. The main game (collecting the badges and beating the E4) is something fun that anyone can do and once that's done the games offer so many different things which allot of people don't realize (Shiny Hunting, Ev Training, Collecting, Competitive Battling, Contests, etc...) that really flesh the game out and make it fun for all. (in fact i know allot of people my age and some older that like the games more than allot of kids because they find that it's become too complex), and besides people who do say it's kiddie are just immature kids who try to grow up too fast and end up living very boring life's.

Vexar

Trainer
    Years
    Pokemon is kid safe, but it isn't just for kids..

That's like saying, lets have dogfights.. However.. we'll only let them injure eachother till they pass out...

So it's not for kids.. however, it makes it seem like it should be.

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    I think Nintendo wants to aim the Pokemon franchise at an older group, but they either think they would get less money from that, parents would get mad at them, or someone in charge isn't allowing it.....

....or they don't want to dissapoint the children, though I highly doubt that.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
    Okay, the basics of the game are for kids you know, ultimate object of getting to LV. 100. But then you look deeper, into IV's, and EV's, and then chaining and shinys, building an amazing team with walls, sweepers, tanks! You know, that stuff, little kids can't understand that!

Actualy, just an hour or two ago, this person I hate (Dunno HOW he got my addy) was talking to me on MSN (My PM is 'Pokemon Gotta Catch 'Em All! Oh yeah.') he said
    'You like Pokemon? What are you 5? Grow up' then I said about Iv's and EV's and that lot, he didn't say ANYTHING back, he actually changed topic after a 10 minute silence XD

So yeah, Pokemon is for all ages, just depends on who you look at the game!

Back