• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon Platinum shatters Nintendo DS sales record

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
  • Why am I given the urge to remember Lil Wayne?

Since, it should go at least to 1.5 by the end of the week. =D

Good for them, lol. Wait until it hits US shores, doubt it'll even break 400k first week. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    You're joking right! 1 million in three days? That actually seems impossible. So, Platinum sold for 1 million in 3 days, that's 480 million plus in Us dollars.

Holy mama

Years
  • Wow... 1 million in three days? Bet there's a video somewhere with Japanese people stampeding to the game store.
    When I got D/P there was a huge line at the mall. The kid in front of me was crying. xD

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Wow, nintendo is the Weezy of gaming. Wonder how itll do hitting US shores

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Har har har, looks like all that "I won't buy it because it'll be lame like DP" was completely null. :P That's an incredible accomplishment, should definitely satisfy the money hungry. XD

Last edited:

Parabolic

wutizdisiduneven
    Years
  • You're joking right! 1 million in three days? That actually seems impossible. So, Platinum sold for 1 million in 3 days, that's 480 million plus in Us dollars.

Holy mama

Er... wha? 1 million copies of POKeMON Platinum would be about 40 million dollars...

One copy would be about 4,000 yen, give or take, and you just multiply that by a million and then convert it to dollars. I have no clue how you got 480 million dollars out of it.

Anyway... it's awesome that it sold so much.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Er... wha? 1 million copies of POKeMON Platinum would be about 40 million dollars...

One copy would be about 4,000 yen, give or take, and you just multiply that by a million and then convert it to dollars. I have no clue how you got 480 million dollars out of it.

Anyway... it's awesome that it sold so much.
    He obviously just accidently added an extra zero... Just chill out. xD

I can't believe Platinum gained that much revenue within it's first three days! My god, how did it surpass Diamond and Pearl! Personally, I chalk it all up to hype as I don't actually feel there is too much of a difference between Platinum and D/P. Pretty awesome job on Nintendo's marketing, eh?

Years
  • Pokemon Platinum has sold 967,675 copies in it's first two days in Japanese stores, and broke the 1 million mark on the third day. It may even break the 1.58 million record set by Diamond and Pearl in their first week.

Could Platinum by itself outsell both Diamond and Pearl combined? It may break the first week record, but I doubt that it will surpass 5.5 million total sales set by Diamond and Pearl. But then again, it's a very real possibility.

Source: Famitsu

All hail the pokemon.

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • Well, I'm playing Platinum now and I can see why people wanted it so bad! The sprites are awesome, as well as the Torn World and Battle Frontier! Platinum even has the Regis and the legendary birds!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah, GameFreak/Nintendo is going Weezy with sells!

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Wow... didn't think Plat sold so much seeing how I didn't even need to line up to buy it.
    It's Yodobashi Camera at Shinjuku, so it's not like it's a small store either.

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
  • whoa...it was probably influenced by Diamond and Pearl's popularity, and those shadowy forms...they're forms of Rotom right?

That's still a big number though, I want to get a copy once it arrives in the US

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    I didn't think it would sell so drastically well considering it's essentially the same as DP.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • I didn't think it would sell so drastically well considering it's essentially the same as DP.

You'd be surprised, with Nintendo and Pokemon. Despite:

Har har har, looks like all that "I won't buy it because it'll be lame like DP" was completely null. :P

The emboldened quote, these kinds of Pokemon games surprise everyone with their intense fluctuation of sales. But in saying that, I have no idea if Yellow, Crystal and Emerald shifted more than their respective originals.. XD;

Anyway, yeah. Go figure on that one, huh, BeachBoy? :P Its always fun to see stuff like that said and then face planted due to sales being better than the original two. XD

ジュカイン

No, I'm not Japense. ._.
    Years
  • Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Platinum sold a lot. Its like a 4th Generation Pokemon Emerald. In fact, thats basically what it is. ._.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • The emboldened quote, these kinds of Pokemon games surprise everyone with their intense fluctuation of sales. But in saying that, I have no idea if Yellow, Crystal and Emerald shifted more than their respective originals.. XD;

Anyway, yeah. Go figure on that one, huh, BeachBoy? :P Its always fun to see stuff like that said and then face planted due to sales being better than the original two. XD
    Hehe true, and yeah, I don't think Yellow, Crystal or Emerald compare to all the changes in Pt, but it's arguable I guess? I just remember so many people complaining about it in the early stages about "Eww, just another remake and waste of money" then people actually see the huge amount of changes, the clear insane amount of hype and wham! Million bucks off the shelf in three days.

When you compare sales to Diamond & Pearl, Platinum slaughtered them... really.

"Within forty-six days, the games (Talking about DP) sold three million units, becoming the fastest DS games to do so, and by the end of the year, the number increased to five million units in just under three months."

Platinum sold 1 million in three days, jeez, just shatter that too. o_o

Back