• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2022
    I have a problem with the new version. When I click generate nothing happens at all. But if I go back to 1.2.2 everything works. It seems like the versions stopped working for me when 1.2.3 came out.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Did you remove the OpenJDK first, or just install both? Maybe it could still be trying to use it? The "Rectangle" class is not something I wrote, it's built in to the Oracle JDK. I honestly cannot fathom what else it could be, if you are still getting the same error. I think I will try to find any JDK-dependent classes and swap them out in the future to hopefully get ahead of that particular issue.

1 month later, and I finally found the solution for me. Turns out that I had multiple instances of the same Java installed(both reg and SDK), but on different updates. After I uninstalled the older versions, the generator worked without any complaints! If anyone else has this same problem, try going to 'Add or remove programs' in your system settings, and scroll through your apps to see how many Java installations you have(should have 1 regular and 1 dev kit at the most I believe)

Years
  • It should take under 30 seconds. However, there are memory usage issues with the PNG generation for some people, if you hit the limit it won't generate. If you know how to set the memory Java can use, you can do that from the command line like others have and increase it - otherwise you may have to wait until I get the version with better memory use completed.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2021
    Having a hard time trying to make a region. Says I'm missing pokemon.txt and trainertypes.txt as well as getting confused with merging stuff together

Years
  • Those are both PBS files included with Pokemon Essentials, so I don't provide them with the download. You need to run the tool from an Essentials project folder which has those files.

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
    Years
  • So I get an error that reads the following when trying to generate a map using v1.2.4.:
    Spoiler:

It seems this error prevents the map preview from generating. --- is always a number, and it seems to generally be on the lower side of the level spectrum (below 20) It doesn't appear to be a memory problem either, I don't think. I'll attach the log.

Attachments

• log.txt
      4.3 KB · Views: 1
    Years
  • I know I chatted with you already but I'm putting the solution here in case anyone else needs it.

The error is caused by the trainer generation, it is trying to create a trainer at a certain level but the config files don't have any pokemon available at that level for the trainer type it's trying to use. Since most people don't want/need trainers generated and only want maps, the easiest thing to do is delete or rename the CartographerOutput/trainertypesconfig.txt. When this file is missing or empty, it will no longer attempt to generate trainers.

If you DO want trainers and are getting a similar error, you would need to go through all of the files in CartographerOutput/trainerpokemon folder to find out which one doesn't have any pokemon for that level or level range, and add a pokemon for that level or extend the level range of an existing pokemon to cover the gap.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2021
    Hey there! I truly appreciate all your hard work on this! I am getting the following error though when I attempt to Unpack it from the cartographer and I'm unsure how to fix this error. May I ask for assistance? Thank you

10: from C:/Ruby27-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `<main>'
    9: from C:/Ruby27-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `load'
    8: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/bin/rvpacker:27:in `<top (required)>'
    7: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:314:in `serialize'
    6: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:314:in `each'
    5: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:315:in `block in serialize'
    4: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/2.7.0/fileutils.rb:185:in `mkdir'
    3: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/2.7.0/fileutils.rb:185:in `each'
    2: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/2.7.0/fileutils.rb:186:in `block in mkdir'
    1: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/2.7.0/fileutils.rb:250:in `fu_mkdir'
    C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/2.7.0/fileutils.rb:250:in `mkdir': Permission denied @ dir_s_mkdir - C:/WINDOWS/system32/Data (Errno::EACCES)

Years
  • Hey there! I truly appreciate all your hard work on this! I am getting the following error though when I attempt to Unpack it from the cartographer and I'm unsure how to fix this error. May I ask for assistance? Thank you

Hey Treecko, it looks like Ruby is saying it doesn't have permission to create a file or folder, although I don't know why it would be trying to do so in C:/WINDOWS/system32/Data, unless that's just something the rvpacker Gem uses. From where are you running Cartographer? My only thought would be to try running the program as administrator. You might have to do this by running Command Prompt as admin, and then launching it from there:

Run command prompt as administrator first:

Start > cmd > right click > run as administrator.
    Run the jar file using

java -jar c:\<your folder path to the jar>\CartographerAlpha1.2.4.jar

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2021
    Thank you very much for the help! That cleared my first error, but now I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    4: from C:/Ruby27-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `<main>'
    3: from C:/Ruby27-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `load'
    2: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/bin/rvpacker:27:in `<top (required)>'
    1: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:374:in `serialize'
    C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:175:in `scripts_to_text': Missing Scripts.rxdata (RuntimeError)

When I check the filepath, serialize.rb exists, but I'm not sure what's going on here. I have installed rvpacker and scanf, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Years
  • Hi Treecko,

Scripta.rxdata isn't one of the RMXP files that actually needs to be unpacked. The rvpacker gem just tries all of them, but it's no big deal if it can't convert Scripts since you don't need to edit that file or convert it to YAML. Can you check in your project and see if the other files unpacked successfully into YAML? If I remember, I think it always spits out that error even when it's otherwise successful with the other files.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2021
    I have the same error message as Treecko above; I first figured out to run it as an administrator, and now I have gotten the exact error message that they are experiencing. I can confirm that no YAML folder has been produced, nor have any files appeared in the output folder. I have installed RVPacker, and I tried to unpack before generating a region in order to create the YAML folder and then once again after generating a region; both have the same result. I also get the exact same error if I try to pack project, though I know that wouldn't work with the current state anyways. I copy/pasted all the files from the most recent version of your generator into a fresh unzip of the most recent essentials version, for reference.

Thanks for taking the time to help! This seems like an incredible tool, so I look forward to getting it to work.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2021
    Huh, well, I tried it again not running it as an administrator...and it seems like it worked? At least all the output files are there as well as the YAML files. I needed to run as an admin to get the install RVPacker to work but it looks like otherwise running it as an admin screws with something. Either way, I'll report back after I actually pack the project and let you (and Treecko!) know if it worked.

Years
  • For those of you having errors related to permissions, I have some news to share.

I also randomly started having these kinds of errors (Access Denied, etc) when Cartographer tries to create files of any kind, even on previously tested & working versions. I was able to track down the issue in my case - it is an AntiVirus feature that protects folders from being modified by ransomware, which was probably added or enabled by a recent update. Even if you don't use an antivirus program such as AVG, Symantec, Kaspersky, etc. the default Windows Defender in Windows 10 also has this feature, and it's possible a recent Windows update might have enabled it for some people, since there seem to be several of us getting similar errors around the same time.

I am not offering advice on whether you should disable the feature, as it probably depends on what kind of security risk your network & files are, but here is information about how to configure the feature:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...rs-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-a.html

The main thing is, the "Documents" folder is usually one of the folders which is protected by this feature by default (and in Windows Defender CANNOT be removed, unless the entire feature is turned off), and I'm betting many of you (like me) have your RMXP projects in there. So if you do not want to disable this security feature, I recommend moving your project to a different folder such as "C:/Users/<userprofile>/RMXP Projects" or something similar outside of Documents, so your other files can still be protected but Cartographer will be able to run successfully. For me, I just decided to disable it for Documents folder (I have AVG, which has an almost identical setting but allows disabling only the Documents folder) since it apparently prevents most programs from doing anything there, which is not really ideal for me. Hopefully this will help some people.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've also just released the first update in a while, 1.2.5! Sadly it's not a huge update despite the 5 months or so since the last one, but there are some QoL items and a few small improvements. Check out the details in the main post!

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2021
    Any way to have the program export the images it composites into the big png? I'd love a clean region map and the separate maps as 1:1 images

Last edited:
    Back