• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    When I said that Game Freak wouldn't change the story, I meant that they would want to keep the same BASIC story intact. I'm well aware that Suicune was not that important to the original Silver story.

However, using Emerald's story shifts the focus from Groudon and Kyogre to Rayquaza. It makes little sense to chase after Groudon or Kyogre first if Rayquaza has awakened to stop them. Rayquaza would be come the focus of the story. I can't find a reason to justify the thought of Rayquaza stopping Groudon and Kyogre and then NOT going after Rayquaza ASAP.

From the sound of it, you guys are actually wanting an Emerald remake, not Ruby and Sapphire. This is why they should only make 1 game. If they remake Emerald, then there are no complaints about story changes because Emerald was basically Ruby and Sapphire combined. All 3 Hoenn Legends will be available in-game and will have the story everyone seems to want. Sure it will disappoint people expecting "Whatever-Ruby" and "Whatever-Sapphire", but at least then the story won't have to change to that degree just to "complete" the saga.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    However, using Emerald's story shifts the focus from Groudon and Kyogre to Rayquaza. It makes little sense to chase after Groudon or Kyogre first if Rayquaza has awakened to stop them. Rayquaza would be come the focus of the story. I can't find a reason to justify the thought of Rayquaza stopping Groudon and Kyogre and then NOT going after Rayquaza ASAP.

Rayquaza is needed to stop fight between Kyogre and Groudon because player wouldn't be able to stop two legendaries at one time. After Rayquaza would fly away, Kyogre or Groudon (depending on version) would turn out to be still active for some reason. Rayquaza wouldn't be needed anymore because player would be able to stop one legendary. It all makes sense.

From the sound of it, you guys are actually wanting an Emerald remake, not Ruby and Sapphire. This is why they should only make 1 game. If they remake Emerald, then there are no complaints about story changes because Emerald was basically Ruby and Sapphire combined. All 3 Hoenn Legends will be available in-game and will have the story everyone seems to want. Sure it will disappoint people expecting "Whatever-Ruby" and "Whatever-Sapphire", but at least then the story won't have to change to that degree just to "complete" the saga.

I actually don't want exact copy of Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald. I want something mixed, that wasn't done before. Just like HG/SS are Crystal mixed with Gold or Silver. And I guess many people want something like that too. This is exactly what studio's president says in HG/SS:

"Old fans would not want us to mess with their good memories... but there is no point in just redoing the same thing, right?"

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    I don't know, I think after playing the original Emerald, it'd ruin gameplay if the graphics were like black and white. Sure, I'd love to play the game on the DS, but Emerald could only be Emerald if it had the original graphics.
    So, pretty much in conclusion, I'm going to say I really just don't care. =)

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014

Simply make a change that Rayquaza be accessible after the E4. It already was awkward to be able to sweep the E4 if you chose to get it before, seeing how powerful it is.

Also, what if they made it so Rayquaza and the 'main 2' fight but it is only able to defeat one of them(the opposite to your version) leaving your version's mascot to be able to somewhat subdue Rayquaza after it's weakened from fighting both*it would still get some attacks in)? It could still have the 'flying to the crime' scene and all that, it just won't be able to finish the job alone. Before it is able to finish it though, that's where you come in(the 'hero') and see that it's up to you to calm down your mascot(by defeating it in a weakened state from battle, later being able to capture it after E4).

That would leave the basic part of it(Rayquaza entering the Colossal battle) yet still leave your mascot the 'dominant one' and the one you'd be up against. I think a little twist would make it all the better anyway.

Does that sound any better?

Just as you think it makes little sense to have Rayquaza jump into the story and somehow become to 'main attraction', I think it'd be little sense to make RS remakes and then scrap the 3rd version's ideas near completely(if they decide to make the former 2).

Just as wombat pointed out, even GF thinks it would be a waste to make the exact same thing. I'm not completely out on 'one' Em remake though, as with BW2, we can't be sure if they are going to be surprising us with how things work from then on; I'm saying that Em would mean just as much to them as the originals, even if they decided to make the latter as the 'brand'.

This is why others and myself see them trying to combine the elements of both. We do not see only one team in both the originals, we see both, just one is the...more 'active' one. That's why some of us have suggested that both play a role like they have been, just one of them having a bigger presence(your version's team). It's why I also suggested what I did further up in this post; we could still have the huge battle scene, but either Groudon or Kyogre(depending on your version obviously) will be the last standing, leaving it for you.

The weird thing about that is having it take place in Sootopolis(although I think it fits best there, in the center of the crater). It would feel awkward taking out a legendary with many witnesses, haha. Anyone know of a way that they could end up starting in Soot, but taking the battle elsewhere outside of town? :d

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    I think GF should make ?S and ?R focus more on the version mascot and team, like make rayquaza calm down K and G then one of them faints while the other one goes back to the cave of origin for you to catch later, and rayquaza going back to the Sky Pillar. Then the version's team appears and gives you the orb to the Legendary that fainted (k/g) and tells you they sealed it so it only works after you've beat the E5 twice. so that you can still get all 3 legendaries but you have to complete the entire TL (trainer league) twice, just like in HGSS. And you should also be able to access regigas in ?S?R, or atleast allow you to trade with Gen IV, but that would take the point of PokeTransfer away.
    Lati@s should be easier to track also, like make them appear in a certain area every ? hours.
    dat ees all

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think were drawing closer to those all important and inevitable remakes (assuming Hoenn doesn't crop up in B2W2) I think we are likely to hear something later this year after B2W2 has been released, that's what I'm hoping for anyhow.

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
  • I'd hate to see Hoenn in Black2/White2. I don't really know why. I'd just rather have a Ruby/Sapphire remake.

I have the same feeling. If they were to put Hoenn into the remakes, I think it would just ruin the feeling of the whole game. It just wouldn't feel right to me. Having a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remake would be much better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    @C Payne & Wombateiro

Your ideas would make Rayquaza fail and not live up to its own legend. GF wouldn't cripple a Legendary just to "Justify" putting it in there.

I just brainstormed an idea that would give us both stories.

For the Ruby remake, we battle Team Magma and Groudon, just like the originals. BUT, after you become champion, you learn that Team Aqua is reviving Kyogre and you are asked to stop them. When you get there, you'll have to have Groudon in your party, then you face Team Aqua's leader. After beating them, Kyogre awakens from Groudon's presence and the 3d cutscene begins and Rayquaza stops the battle. Afterwards, Rayquaza and possibly Kyogre are now available.

Would that work?

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Your ideas would make Rayquaza fail and not live up to its own legend.

Not really. Rayquaza's job is to stop battle between two mascots and it's done in our ideas. Stopping one still standing mascot would be player's job, not Rayquaza's. That's why in original Ruby or Sapphire Rayquaza doesn't show up because there is only one mascot to be stopped and it's up to player.

For the Ruby remake, we battle Team Magma and Groudon, just like the originals. BUT, after you become champion, you learn that Team Aqua is reviving Kyogre and you are asked to stop them. When you get there, you'll have to have Groudon in your party, then you face Team Aqua's leader. After beating them, Kyogre awakens from Groudon's presence and the 3d cutscene begins and Rayquaza stops the battle. Afterwards, Rayquaza and possibly Kyogre are now available.

Would that work?

There are reasons not to do that:

- In original Ruby or Sapphire, Aqua or Magma is good team, trying to explain the other team that their work is something bad. Keeping story exactly the same like in originals, Aqua or Magma can't try to to revive legendary at any point of game because they are good team. More of that, if Aqua or Magma would try to revive legendary in post-game, that would make them look like completely idiots because they knew and saw that it's bad idea. That's why story in remakes should be based on Emerald's story because both teams are evil.

- How would Aqua or Magma find Kyogre/Groudon in post-game without any preparations and actions? The main point of their actions is to find legendary they want. Making them find their legendary so easily in post-game would make most of opposing team's actions from main storyline look pointless because it would show that those actions can be simply omitted.

I think the best thing in Emerald's storyline is split of events between Aqua and Magma. That made storyline more logical. Imo remakes' storyline should be based on Emerald's just because of logical reasons. It's not appropriate for Aqua to work around volcano, because cooling down crater is less possible than making it erupt, the same like it's not appropriate for Magma to steal submarine and have hideout accessible only from water because they don't have any water Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Not really. Rayquaza's job is to stop battle between two mascots and it's done in our ideas. Stopping one still standing mascot would be player's job, not Rayquaza's. That's why in original Ruby or Sapphire Rayquaza doesn't show up because there is only one mascot to be stopped and it's up to player.

There are reasons not to do that:

- In original Ruby or Sapphire, Aqua or Magma is good team, trying to explain the other team that their work is something bad. Keeping story exactly the same like in originals, Aqua or Magma can't try to to revive legendary at any point of game because they are good team. More of that, if Aqua or Magma would try to revive legendary in post-game, that would make them look like completely idiots because they knew and saw that it's bad idea. That's why story in remakes should be based on Emerald's story because both teams are evil.

- How would Aqua or Magma find Kyogre/Groudon in post-game without any preparations and actions? The main point of their actions is to find legendary they want. Making them find their legendary so easily in post-game would make most of opposing team's actions from main storyline look pointless because it would show that those actions can be simply omitted.

I think the best thing in Emerald's storyline is split of events between Aqua and Magma. That made storyline more logical. Imo remakes' storyline should be based on Emerald's just because of logical reasons. It's not appropriate for Aqua to work around volcano, because cooling down crater is less possible than making it erupt, the same like it's not appropriate for Magma to steal submarine and have hideout accessible only from water because they don't have any water Pokemon.

I admit my idea was right off the top of my head, so I didn't think it all the way through. Though, I still see flaws in trying to realistically have Emerald's story split in 2 for 2 remakes. There's just too many differences in the 3 stories to combine them in a way that makes everyone happy. Going with 1 Emerald remake would give everyone the story they want and access to both Groudon and Kyogre.

Emerald was a remake of Ruby and Sapphire anyway and combined those 2 stories. You can't really take the original stories of Ruby and Sapphire, AND combine them with the Emerald combination.

It just seems to me that a new Emerald would be GF's best bet in trying to make everyone happy. Though I personally would prefer a new Ruby, if they were to just make a new Emerald, I wouldn't mind. But that's just my thought on it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I admit my idea was right off the top of my head, so I didn't think it all the way through. Though, I still see flaws in trying to realistically have Emerald's story split in 2 for 2 remakes. There's just too many differences in the 3 stories to combine them in a way that makes everyone happy. Going with 1 Emerald remake would give everyone the story they want and access to both Groudon and Kyogre.

Emerald was a remake of Ruby and Sapphire anyway and combined those 2 stories. You can't really take the original stories of Ruby and Sapphire, AND combine them with the Emerald combination.

It just seems to me that a new Emerald would be GF's best bet in trying to make everyone happy. Though I personally would prefer a new Ruby, if they were to just make a new Emerald, I wouldn't mind. But that's just my thought on it.

Probably there won't be actual Emerald's remake because GF always prefers to make two paired games instead of one, for selling reasons. Also, making only Emerald's remake would mean that story would exactly the same like in original Emerald which is not really a good thing, even GF claims that there is no point in redoing the same game.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Probably there won't be actual Emerald's remake because GF always prefers to make two paired games instead of one, for selling reasons. Also, making only Emerald's remake would mean that story would exactly the same like in original Emerald which is not really a good thing, even GF claims that there is no point in redoing the same game.

Not necessarily. Main story doesn't change. If they do Ruby/Sapphire, it'll be Ruby/Sapphire's story with extra mixed in, so Rayquaza would be supplemented and minor story mix, like how Magma attacks Moss Deep which I don't think was in Ruby. They could even take Emerald's two halves for the individual teams as they each had different conquests different from Ruby/Sapphire if only by a little bit.

Even if they remade Emerald, all they'd do is add small parts to either the main or after story, this would pretty much just include small side quest during the Main quest.

FR/LG it was the forced visit to the Sevii Islands mid story. In HG/SS you have Kimono Girls/Suicune add in. Neither were "important" but still served to change the original story even slightly.

I'm trying to remember all the side characters that appeared, and honestly, I can only really see more explanation of Wally's travels, more Scott interactions, and more in depth involvement with Gabby and her Camera man as I can't recall any other distinguished Side characters....oh there is Briney....They could also add to Hoen with a side trip like they did in FR/LG.

They had a leaf green and fire red!

Doesn't mean that it isn't possible that they won't remake them again. Its just not plausible and unlikely. They have been making us jump hoops like trained dogs through this Generation with all the unexpected turn of events. I'm not putting anything past them and viewing almost everything as possible.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Not necessarily. Main story doesn't change. If they do Ruby/Sapphire, it'll be Ruby/Sapphire's story with extra mixed in, so Rayquaza would be supplemented and minor story mix, like how Magma attacks Moss Deep which I don't think was in Ruby. They could even take Emerald's two halves for the individual teams as they each had different conquests different from Ruby/Sapphire if only by a little bit.

Even if they remade Emerald, all they'd do is add small parts to either the main or after story, this would pretty much just include small side quest during the Main quest.

I meant that having technically only one remake based only on Emerald would make it impossible to add something new to main story about Weather Trio. Everything about Emerald's Weather Crisis would the same. Having remake split into new Ruby and new Sapphire would make some difference in main story with Groudon or Kyogre still being active after Weather Crisis cutscene based from Emerald. Imo having something new in main story is better than having nothing new. And it's also profit for Nintendo to sell two games instead of one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I meant that having technically only one remake based only on Emerald would make it impossible to add something new to main story about Weather Trio. Everything about Emerald's Weather Crisis would the same. Having remake split into new Ruby and new Sapphire would make some difference in main story with Groudon or Kyogre still being active after Weather Crisis cutscene based from Emerald. Imo having something new in main story is better than having nothing new. And it's also profit for Nintendo to sell two games instead of one.

There was very little "new" added to HG/SS. The only big difference was that they made Lugia and Ho-oh seem a tad more important than they did in the originals. Suicune's story was added because it did not interfere with the story of Gold and Silver and was easily simply added to it. Nothing was changed.

Adding something new to the Weather Crisis implies that the original story was flawed and inaccurate. You can't really add anything to the Weather Crisis. Your idea, in theory, serves as a way to make everyone happy, but lacks a decent build for a story. I'm trying to imagine playing the games the way you described them, but the logic of the story just seems off.

I've tried to come up with an idea that could satisfy everyone, but all the ideas I've read here including my own just seem to take away important aspects of each of the original games and have some sort of flaw in them. (My own idea had several.)

These remakes leave GF with a problem. And like I said, this might be why Game Freak doesn't seem interested in R/S/E remakes. But, if they decide they want the Emerald story, they should just release 1 Emerald remake. Game Freak has already proven there is no true pattern to their releases, so 1 remake isn't out of the question. However, if they decide to go with the Ruby and Sapphire remakes, I see them using those separate stories and leaving Emerald out, which would leave out the Weather Crisis. For R/S/E, 1 remake is definitely the best choice as it covers all 3 Legendary Pokemon already and they really wouldn't have to add anything to make up for something missing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    There was very little "new" added to HG/SS. The only big difference was that they made Lugia and Ho-oh seem a tad more important than they did in the originals. Suicune's story was added because it did not interfere with the story of Gold and Silver and was easily simply added to it. Nothing was changed.

Adding something new to the Weather Crisis implies that the original story was flawed and inaccurate. You can't really add anything to the Weather Crisis. Your idea, in theory, serves as a way to make everyone happy, but lacks a decent build for a story. I'm trying to imagine playing the games the way you described them, but the logic of the story just seems off.

I've tried to come up with an idea that could satisfy everyone, but all the ideas I've read here including my own just seem to take away important aspects of each of the original games and have some sort of flaw in them. (My own idea had several.)

These remakes leave GF with a problem. And like I said, this might be why Game Freak doesn't seem interested in R/S/E remakes. But, if they decide they want the Emerald story, they should just release 1 Emerald remake. Game Freak has already proven there is no true pattern to their releases, so 1 remake isn't out of the question. However, if they decide to go with the Ruby and Sapphire remakes, I see them using those separate stories and leaving Emerald out, which would leave out the Weather Crisis. For R/S/E, 1 remake is definitely the best choice as it covers all 3 Legendary Pokemon already and they really wouldn't have to add anything to make up for something missing.

I believe GF will add Groudon/Kyogre encounter after Weather Crisis because Emerald's story doesn't have any obligatory battle with any legendary. Rayquaza is available but there is no any obligation to battle with it. That could mean GF planned Groudon/Kyogre encounter after Weather Crisis in R/S remakes already during Emerald's development. R/S/E look like the last Pokemon games capable of having their stories fused with each other and having two remakes because their differences doesn't really rule out each other. It's totally different than D/P/Pt because Platinum's story seems to be impossible to be fused with Diamond or Pearl because there is obligatory battle with Giratina. That's why it seems very unlikely to have Diamond and Pearl remakes because it doesn't make any sense to ignore battle with Giratina and move to Dialga or Palkia.

And I don't agree with saying that adding Kyogre/Groudon encounter after Emerald's Weather Crisis would make Emerald's story flawed and inaccurate. Rayquaza would do it's job to stop battle between Kyogre and Groudon, just like in Emerald. Rayquaza's legend would be fulfilled, just like in Emerald. Stopping one Kyogre or Groudon after Weather Crisis is not part of Rayquaza's legend, so I don't see any good reason against idea of mixing Emerald's story with Ruby or Sapphire, especially when there is actual possibility to make it happen in contrast to not being possible for Platinum to be mixed with Diamond or Pearl and probably for B2/W2 to be mixed with B/W.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think these remakes are the most anticipated actually and are certainly the ones on my list. You didn't hear much about Gold & Silver remakes, there was speculation but not as much as there is for Ruby & Sapphire which is kind of ironic considering they got a much lower reputation in comparison. This is good however as the more fans that demand it the more likely it's going to happen, not to mention the money which Nintendo love.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back