• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you never thought you would use but ended up using.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
  • My entire team actually I only expected to use alolan Raichu and and the rowlet line. But I ended up getting a popplio very early. I bred it for a female that I got in like three eggs and that primanera was pretty powerful. And like everybody can agree midnight lycanroc Is beast. My last two has been in rotation with snorlax , kommo o , greninja and salander( which has been very reliable to me too).

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Bruxish might not be the prettiest looking thing, and I just added it to my party since it was pretty late game and I needed a water-type. But saying that, it's actually pretty fun to use despite it's shallow movepool, and it's probably now my favorite second favorite water-type introduced this gen (Primarina being first)

LuQi

Wooloo Shepherd
    Years
  • A Pokémon that I considered not using was Wimpod. Based on what I heard about it's evos paltry Speed stat, I thought it sounded kind of gimmicky and overall disappointing. Hell, was I wrong.
    •Want Lusamine and Nihilego to pipe down with their angry wiggling? Honestly, if you don't run Poison Jab, just switch. You're wasting valuable time to beat the game in a day.
    •Want to power through an area because you're too impatient to sit through several more turns of recovery and outspeeds? First Impression that shit.
    •Some Team Skull numskulls crampin' your style? First Impression and Liquidation that shit.
    •Literally about to get stomped by Kukui and lose your first attempt at the League? First Impression that man.

All in all, I'd say Golisopod's a pretty good 'mon.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Definitely have to go with Alolan Muk, Crabrawler and Mimikyu. When they were first introduced, I immediately thought there was no way I'd use them but now, I can't imagine having gone on the journey without them, Crabominable and Muk are in the Hall of Fame and Mimikyu was a key cog of my team until I got Kommo-o.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2018
    Mimikyu. I liked the design but felt it over-saturated conversations and such. Then when I fought it during the trial and experience it's disguise I decided to catch one. Named it Pikachu and never looked back. He and Araquanid(Who I knew I'd be using) are my two powerhouses. I'm not super impressed with any of my other team members, actually.

Funny story, when I showed my girlfriend Mimikyu, and explained it's back-story she legit started crying.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    Snorlax.
    Got mine as the mystery gift Munchlax. At first his horrendous speed annoyed me to no ends, as my play style is high Attack, high speed, low defence. But as my game went on, this fatso ended up being the plan b to just about everything. Oh, Magnemite is getting destroyed by the Totem Wishiwashi. Send in the fat one. I don't have any good counters to fire. Send in the fat one. I don't have an anti-electric. Give the fat one Bulldoze. His greatest moment was against Red at the Battle Tree. I was not ready for a battle as soon as I entered the Battle Tree and had 2 fainted and one at 1/3 hp. So, send in the fat one to stall while I use a few revives.

Best part: when I unlocked judging I learned his IVs are crap. I'm saving my gold bottle cap for him. People will soon fear the fat one.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I never thought I would use Wishiwashi. The rest of my team was more or less planned.

And Wishiwashi was a great choice. Super strong and just what I needed! Its ability didnt hamper me too much either.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • Shiinotic was something I thought I didn't like at first, yet it somehow became one of my favorites for being such a cute fluffy mushroom. She was also good at enduring ground type moves.
    Toucannon and Pelipper also weren't exactly expected for me to use yet they still were great additions to my team.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Snorlax.
    Got mine as the mystery gift Munchlax. At first his horrendous speed annoyed me to no ends, as my play style is high Attack, high speed, low defence. But as my game went on, this fatso ended up being the plan b to just about everything. Oh, Magnemite is getting destroyed by the Totem Wishiwashi. Send in the fat one. I don't have any good counters to fire. Send in the fat one. I don't have an anti-electric. Give the fat one Bulldoze. His greatest moment was against Red at the Battle Tree. I was not ready for a battle as soon as I entered the Battle Tree and had 2 fainted and one at 1/3 hp. So, send in the fat one to stall while I use a few revives.

Best part: when I unlocked judging I learned his IVs are crap. I'm saving my gold bottle cap for him. People will soon fear the fat one.

i'v played my snorlax snugglebear more than any other poke so far. I too used him as plan b for anything my other pokes struggled with. Those special snorlax learn high horsepower btw, which is boss. Mine had perfect hp/def ev's. Almost perfect sp def/sp attack evs....and then 0 evs in attack and speed. He's the tankiest snorlax i've ever had. I have to get the thing to 100 so i can put caps in to his attack stat, so he can be uber viable in competition. I just have no desire to grind out the final 15 levels as it will suck...

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I still have my alola Raichu and this i sa surprise. One of the alola form I liked less at first.

rawcomrade91

Check out my reviews at SwitchJoy.net
    Years
  • Definitely Shiinotic. I'll admit, to this day I'm still not a huge fan of it, but its Fairy typing has certainly helped in a pinch or two, and it's served as one of the more tankier Pokémon on my team. One of the few Pokémon I've encountered which I truly which was able to have more than 4 moveslots. It has a great number of recovery options (Giga Drain, Moonlight, Ingrain, Strength Sap) and some decent attacking moves to boot.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I didn't think I'd use Carbink during my Moon run, but it turned out to be a solid player. Very defensive with interesting resistances. I'll definitely be using it again.

Years
  • Honestly, I didn't think I would ever use Cottonee, but she actually came in handy.
    I also used Cutiefly for a little while, but eventually stopped because I didn't need it anymore.
    Lastly, surprisingly, I really enjoyed having the Pikipek evolution chain on my team. At first, I thought it was some lame bird type, just like what I thought about Starly in generation 4, but man, I really liked it.

jeon74

Adventure is out there!
    Years
  • tumblr_inline_o8s8021tGT1ro6863_500.gif

Grubbin. At first, I thought he would be like a weedle or caterpie type Pokemon, who would evolve into a somewhat lame Pokemon. HOnestly, I had no clue that it evolved into that beast, Vikavolt, until I actually got the game. Vikavolt is pretty much the result of a Beedrill and a Galvantula having a kid.

Years
  • I was at a loss as to who I would get to fill the sixth slot of my party. During my play through, I wanted to get all new Pokemon, so after some research I settled on Alolan Golem. I wasn't too sure about him at first, but now that I've used him for a while, let me tell you, I do not regret this pickup. Golem is bulky and packs a punch, and his unique Electric/Rock type makes him quite unique. I'd say the only downside to Alolan Golem is that he isn't too great to use against Water types despite being part Electric.

rawcomrade91

Check out my reviews at SwitchJoy.net
    Years
  • tumblr_inline_o8s8021tGT1ro6863_500.gif

Grubbin. At first, I thought he would be like a weedle or caterpie type Pokemon, who would evolve into a somewhat lame Pokemon. HOnestly, I had no clue that it evolved into that beast, Vikavolt, until I actually got the game. Vikavolt is pretty much the result of a Beedrill and a Galvantula having a kid.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I just looked up Vikavolt's stats, and I'm pretty impressed. They're mostly inconsequential, but I was surprised by its high Special Attack stat. Plus it can learn an interesting mix of moves. Perhaps it could make a good Baton Pass candidate...pass it an Agility or something (since its defenses are too weak to set up on its own and last long).

Interesting find! Thanks again :)

colter519

Youngster
    Years
  • I decided to do a grass monotype run using only new pokemon, and Shiinotic, Tsareena, and Decidueye were my favorites! Tsareena surprised me with all her kicks, and queenly majesty came in very handy, and shiinotic is a much bulkier plant than I expected. The other pokemon on my team paled in comparison to those 3 (Lurantis, Dhelmise, and Exeggcutor)

jeon74

Adventure is out there!
    Years
  • Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I just looked up Vikavolt's stats, and I'm pretty impressed. They're mostly inconsequential, but I was surprised by its high Special Attack stat. Plus it can learn an interesting mix of moves. Perhaps it could make a good Baton Pass candidate...pass it an Agility or something (since its defenses are too weak to set up on its own and last long).

Interesting find! Thanks again :)

No problem! I guess lots of people underestimated Grubbin! Even Charjabug can be a great Pokemon if you really let it have a good moveset along with stats,

Owlet

Look for hope, it's searching for you.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 12, 2017
    Fomantis/Lurantis - I had Fomantis in my party purely to evolve it, but after using it for a while, I found it was actually a really good grass type. As Lurantis, it's surprisingly strong (and I like the design).

Back