• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Posting peeves.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
  • It bugs me when people use a format that makes a post hard to read. And with the various styles here, it's almost guaranteed that colors like yellow, cyan, or white are going to be hard to read in at least one style.

When it comes to grammar and spelling, if I can easily discern what the post means, it doesn't bother me too much. When people use the wrong "your/you're" or "to/too/two" it irks me a little, considering we've been taught how to use those since 2nd grade, but I generally won't call someone out on it.

I usually forgive people when they word things in a strange way or let sentences run on for longer than they should, because I'm extremely guilty of both of those. Sometimes I feel like I worded things well, and then read it again and realize it made no sense. Same with run on sentences. I'll type it out, thinking it wouldn't make sense to break up the sentence, read it, and realize I could have split it at 2 or 3 different points. :P Once I start typing, I just sort of go with my train of thought and don't really think about how well I'm presenting the message I want to present.

Years
  • I don't usually like inserting bright colors or unreadable fonts in my posts, but hashtags add a nice touch when you need them, and also some emoticons here and there. I don't use all caps or all lower case too often unless if I'm visitor messaging someone and I want to add something funny.

I mostly try and use correct grammar too.

Years
  • Bad grammar does irritate me, like when people talk to me and say 'hey i seen you today!', even though I live in a rural boganish town, it still annoys me.

Although I know my grammar isn't the best either, so I guess I can't really talk.. I used to annoy the hell out of my ex-girlfriend apparently how I typed and pronounced certain words.. Now she's just corrects me rudely and tries to be a **** just to annoy me and make me feel stupid.. Eh.

Oh and word colouring/highlighting abusing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It irks me when people don't use correct grammar and overuse punctuation marks (especially exclamation points; to me, they make it as if they're overreacting.)

Years
  • When i know people have spell check and auto correct and they still spell stuff incorrectly every single time... I just or the classic You're and your.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    When people capitalise every word of every sentence, it just gets to me. I mean are you typing on a phone that automatically capitalizes every new word and you can't be bothered to turn it off or is this some sort of new trend? I'm not even sure but its just so hard to make out what they're saying. People who use yellow text. Just please. Don't for god's sake. I've already damaged my eyesight by leaning into things too close and I certainly don't need to see obnoxious yellow text on a forum. Or bright blue for that matter.

Also I get kinda irked when people make their text absolutely huge all the time. I mean I don't mind if you use it just to emphasise a point but if you start typing all of your sentences in like god knows what size, I get pretty annoyed. While its easier to read, I just don't like it. I guess that's just me though. When people use !!!!!!! or ?????? in posts. One is enough, come on. ?! is okay but 78,917 question marks in one post, is definitely not. We get your point. No need to over do it. Plus it just makes people seem rude and unfriendly, in all honesty. :x

I hate all caps. It just seems like shouting. Lower caps in chatrooms and stuff like that is okay but I'm pretty fussy when it comes to punctuation. I don't mind the occassional spelling mistake, because hey no one's perfect. Bad grammar is definitely not though. At least make an attempt to correct it! Oh and when people use u and liek and add z to the end of everything since they think that's what the cool kids do, I hate it. They're all so unnecessary and why is it so hard to type out a three-lettered word? I think those are all of my peeves but I'll probably think of a few more later.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    When people use all caps, and too many exclamation points. It's just unnessesary, there's no need to yell. Also Im not a huge fan of people using this symbol all the time: ~ I don't know why I just don't get it.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • When people emphasise with bold, italic, underline, red text, -and- in all caps. Emphasising is one thing, but it's both ugly, and unnecessary to go to that extreme. It looks like they just stacked every method of emphasis in the book on top of each other and created this glaring monstrosity:

I AM A GLARING MONSTROSITY.

Add in size 7 for extra emphasis.

Moreover, simply using caps as a way to emphasise anything gets me really bothered now. It's odd, since that's the way I preferred to emphasise myself too. However, now, it really comes off to me like you're more getting angry than putting extra stress on the word. I use hyphens or italics nowadays to create emphasis and it's far more pleasing to the eye, I think.

And yes, blatantly terrible spelling, chatspeak, horrible/absent/excessive punctuation, or capitalising every single word in a sentence -- because people apparently can't be arsed to spellcheck -nor- check which words are proper nouns and require capitalisation -- is up that list as well. Thankfully, I rarely see that around outside of the most uneducated parts of the internet, like omegle.

As has also been mentioned, using an illegible font colour in every single post gets me rather ticked off. The light colours are, of course, the main culprits here, yellow especially, since I use Ampharos' starry night. It becomes a pain to look at and highlight. I understand some people feel the need to personalise their posts by changing their colour from the standard black, but please, consider the themes other people may be using.

Another one is more of a style error than a formatting or spelling error, but people who make excessive use of adverbs really get to me. I am talking about the blatant mistakes like "he ran quickly", or, god forbid, they whack "a little" or "slightly" after every single verb. They really weigh down on you when you read them, and it doesn't help that all of the -ly's get really singy songy if you stack them. If you can avoid adverbs by using a more precise verb, then please don't use the adverb. I know we aren't all Stephen King, but come on, people!

second to last, and I am sometimes guilty of this too, excessive use of parentheses. This -really- gets to me sometimes: people who drag on an entire story within parentheses, people who use parentheses inside of parentheses (and then some). The point of parentheses is for clarification if a reader doesn't know what the hell a watchamadoozit is. If a sentence that has been parenthesised is important to read in order to fully grip the whole text, then it should not be in between parentheses.

And finally, this is a little bit of a cheat, because it's not actually a pet peeve, but it really gets glaringly obvious to me when people use American spelling. I don't think it is wrong or anything, and I believe it's a legitimate way to spell things, but for some reason, I just can't let it go. Everytime I see -ize, or color, or dialog, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Not like that should bother me.

So, if you do any of these things, do not be distraught. I still love you, even if you do bring fume out of my mouth.

Edit: People who constantly edit their posts, like me, are also a pet peeve of mine.
    Edit2: I can taste the irony.

Last edited:
    Back