• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pre-order or wait for the release?

Years
    A shopping center near me has at least 4 different stores which sell video games. I'm sure I'll get the chance to grab one so I won't pre-order. A pre-order bonus would probably change my mind though.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I always pre-order Pokémon titles, but I also always wait to see which store has the best deal. If my local store has a midnight release, I will likely pre-order there just to attend.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Pre-ordering as an institution is a really iffy idea. You're basically paying for a game and hoping it will be good and finished by the promised time. While that's not necessarily an issue when it comes to Pokemon, it still seems silly to give them any more money then what the game's going to cost.

But yeah I'm pre-ordering. Both of them.
    I would tend to disagree.
    Preordering is useful for the stores because it gives them a good idea of how much stock they need. It also insures you will get the game at release.
    I've also heard, though it's not from my own experience, that some stores don't charge extra for preordering. Probably because it's as much for their benefit as it is for you.
    I'd imagine it's also useful for the company because shareholders can get an estimate of their return.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Preordering is useful for the stores because it gives them a good idea of how much stock they need. It also insures you will get the game at release.
    I've also heard, though it's not from my own experience, that some stores don't charge extra for preordering. Probably because it's as much for their benefit as it is for you.
    I'd imagine it's also useful for the company because shareholders can get an estimate of their return.

I agree with you, it helps the store(s) get a rough number of how many copies they should stock on. If pre-orders are low likely sales will be low, if high likely sales (outside of pre-order) will be high.

I know that some stores just have you pay five dollars upfront when you pre-order and when you pick up the game you pick pay the remaining balance. Well that's how it works in in person pre-orders. Online pre-orders don't tend to cost extra (that I've seen).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, you're totally right. Overall it's a good way for stores/developers to get a relatively good projection for demand. Statistically speaking it's advantageous. I'm just tentative about paying even a small amount of money for a game so early on when there's no guarantee it'll be good. (Battle Field 4 comes to mind).

But I digress. Pokemon is definitely a game worth pre-ordering, especially ORAS in my opinion. I'm not sure about certain stores not charging though, but where ever that's happening I want in haha! :)

int

Banned
    Years
    I won't pre-order it, because I've always waited until a Pokémon game was released, it's much more fun to buy it directly in the shop then :3

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Wait, there are stores that charge extra for pre-ordering? @_@ Never had that happen to me, and if I encountered it I would just go to another story. In my experience, it's just go to the store, make a deposit, and pay the rest the day I pick it up (and with the closest store to me I can price-match them with other stores as well). Only do that with games I feel will be good as well.

Maybe it's a country thing?

I will likely preorder with ORAS (getting Sapphire most likely). However I may be only able to pick it up the day after release here due to a short trip interstate.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I don't usually pre-order games, but for Pokemon I make an exception. Too exciting to have the receipt in my hand.

Sapphire Dragon

Let go of the scars that define you.
    Years
    I'm similar to bzsm, but quite literally every Pokemon game I've ever had was bought for me. I believe the only one I had someone pre-order was Mystery Dungeon Red, or something. Even then it was just for the awesome gifts you got if you did.

Even though Johto is my favorite region, Alpha Sapphire is giving me so much hype that it'll be the first one I pre order entirely on my own.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I'm going to order both at Game, hopefully they'll do midnight launch night same as they do for Fifa.

Sapphire Dragon

Let go of the scars that define you.
    Years
    I'm ordering mine from BestBuy. I will forever patronize them, at least for games, due to the fact that I was able to get X for $19 during that Walmart pricing hack.

It was on reddit, but only briefly. I had printed out a screenshot of my checkout page and they didn't even question it.

They'll make all their money back from me, I can pretty much guarantee that. :p

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2018
    I'll likely preorder, but I'm waiting to see what stores are offering preorder bonuses. I can technically preorder right now at some places, but I'm waiting to see what comes out first. The best store with the best preorder prize gets my business! B)

Years
    I'm planning on getting both eventually, but I think I'll pre-order one of them. Not sure which though yet. Probably Alpha Sapphire since Sapphire was my first Hoenn game way back.

Years
    I'll definitely just wait for the release :) I don't think the demand where I live is high enough to warrant having to pre-order so hopefully I'll be able to do what I've done since Black/White which is to waltz in to Game on the morning of release day and pick up my desired copy, which in this case will be Omega Ruby :)

Back