• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Prism League Discussion (Previously "Our own Pokemon X/Y League")

Leaders/E4 using Pokemon whose Megas change to a different type, yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
Years
  • I think pokemon simulators are the way to go. Even though I prefer to play in my 3ds and I hate simulators but its just preference.Everyone in the forum has a PC(I assume) but not everyone has a 3DS. Just my humble opinion :). Oh and i'm active most of the time but i'm not a good battler. So yeah, looking foward to "tryhard" the league

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm thinking that, initially at least, we should do the split Showdown/3DS thing, since it seems we can't really get a consensus on this, and some of the challengers may have a preference for how they do the battles as well. Yeah, you'll only have to get 4 badges to challenge the E4 (or E2, rather), but that's the way its gonna have to go. Especially since we still don't have enough people for all the positions, and so to get enough people for all the spots, we need to have both options available (what with Polar's laptop dying and sri not having a 3DS, etc)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    You know what? I like the idea of simulators for this. If there are 25 challengers, that's 25 people to add to a 3DS for every leader - and some might not have room for all of these friends or want the hassle of deleting everyone afterwards.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • It seems like everyone has really good reasons both ways - sooo, maybe both is the answer :1 If we do, maybe we just trim down the number of gyms for each section? At least until there's a strong need to increase it. :x Let's say we split it right down the middle, 4 gyms on cartridge, 4 gyms on sims - then 2 elite four on cartridge; 2 on sims - with one champion for each? And I'm not suggesting that you have to play both in order to go through the league; by keeping the numbers smaller at first - we run a lower risk of too much to do or too many people to coordinate battles with deterring people from participating. Whaddyou guys think?

Mmm, two things - one, how would we decide the most well respected / top 5? xD Nobody here knows for example if I'm sh*t or legit at pokemon, I think we should do it by tournament amongst volunteers. That way whomever wins; we at least know they're willing and interested to uphold the position. Secondly - I wholeheartedly agree with you on the facing the gym feel on cartridge. You just can't get more authentic than the original source material. And there's no denying the battles are more personal, cinematic, and intense. (opinionsopinionsopinioins)

While I don't sympathize with you not wanting to breed (it's so easy now mate! :P ) I do feel where you're coming from. And you're definitely not the only one. We should have a league set up for sim battles too. It pains me to admit, but the sim players might just be the majority in fact.

Anywho yeah - anybody else feelin' the splitting the league between the two mediums idea? I think it could work; if things get too busy or it turns out to be a success, we could move up to a full 2 separate leagues, one completely independent on sims, and one completely independent on cartridge. Starting off right now though, 4 gyms, 2 elite members and a champion battle seems like a nice pace to start on for me. ^^ I can volunteer to handle the cartridge half (IF - we go down this path) but someone more personally invested and experienced than myself should prrrobably be the sim league commissioner.

Showdown IS easier to hold tournaments and such because you don't have to trade FC's and stuff. But, it may not be fair for something like this because some people don't play emulators. However, it takes like a minute to set up an account (you don't even need an email). A tournament is a great idea. But, what about the other spots? The next top 4 in the tourney get the elite spots? Or do we have a single champion, 2 elites, and 4 gym leaders. That would make it a lot easier, but to make up for the lack of battles, we have the league "reset" with new people every 2 months or so.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I'm thinking that, initially at least, we should do the split Showdown/3DS thing, since it seems we can't really get a consensus on this, and some of the challengers may have a preference for how they do the battles as well. Yeah, you'll only have to get 4 badges to challenge the E4 (or E2, rather), but that's the way its gonna have to go. Especially since we still don't have enough people for all the positions, and so to get enough people for all the spots, we need to have both options available (what with Polar's laptop dying and sri not having a 3DS, etc)

Thank you, and I agree. I'm really thinking that will work best based on the fact that we won't have to exclude anybody, we don't know how many people we'll have to fill roles within the league, or how many challengers it will recieve and how often. For a trial run, I can't see a better way to test the water than this.

Moving on - I would be terrible at working with the showdown half of this for obvious reasons hahah. Anyone want to volunteer to, handle- that half the league?

Showdown IS easier to hold tournaments and such because you don't have to trade FC's and stuff. But, it may not be fair for something like this because some people don't play emulators. However, it takes like a minute to set up an account (you don't even need an email). A tournament is a great idea. But, what about the other spots? The next top 4 in the tourney get the elite spots? Or do we have a single champion, 2 elites, and 4 gym leaders. That would make it a lot easier, but to make up for the lack of battles, we have the league "reset" with new people every 2 months or so.

Those are both great ideas Bad :3 (sounds silly with your name in there lel) hopefully keeping the positions volatile would mean the more active players would he kept in the seats of the leaders and elites.

And yes; I was suggesting at least to start off, showdown have 4 dedicated leaders, 2 elites, and 1 champion - and X/Y have the same.

Last edited:

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Thank you, and I agree. I'm really thinking that will work best based on the fact that we won't have to exclude anybody, we don't know how many people we'll have to fill roles within the league, or how many challengers it will recieve and how often. For a trial run, I can't see a better way to test the water than this.

Moving on - I would be terrible at working with the showdown half of this for obvious reasons hahah. Anyone want to volunteer to, handle- that half the league?

Those are both great ideas Bad :3 (sounds silly with your name in there lel) hopefully keeping the positions volatile would mean the more active players would he kept in the seats of the leaders and elites.

And yes; I was suggesting at least to start off, showdown have 4 dedicated leaders, 2 elites, and 1 champion - and X/Y have the same.

Thanks! I usually use "Bad" in my usernames. I figured, this is a pokemon forum, so I'll be BadPokemon. I actually like it a lot. I think this league would be a great way to hone our battling skills. Making the positions volatile lets the not as good players get better and have a goal of being gym leader or something. Maybe, the battles could be held on both emulators and game cartridges for convenience (I would use cartridge).

I think it would be fun, a great learning experience, and we can make friends. We could have prizes for being the champion such as iv bred pokemon and items.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Whatever everyone decides i think the best thing you can do for the league is recruit other people.

True. I suppose when I get home from work I'll go recruit hunting.

Thanks! I usually use "Bad" in my usernames. I figured, this is a pokemon forum, so I'll be BadPokemon. I actually like it a lot. I think this league would be a great way to hone our battling skills. Making the positions volatile lets the not as good players get better and have a goal of being gym leader or something. Maybe, the battles could be held on both emulators and game cartridges for convenience (I would use cartridge).

I think it would be fun, a great learning experience, and we can make friends. We could have prizes for being the champion such as iv bred pokemon and items.

I concur. I'm hoping that while we have tournaments and other mediums around here for 100% competitive play (what an oxymoronical statement that is- 'competitive play') I'm hoping the league will maybe be 55/45 on "for fun/competitive."

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • True. I suppose when I get home from work I'll go recruit hunting.

I concur. I'm hoping that while we have tournaments and other mediums around here for 100% competitive play (what an oxymoronical statement that is- 'competitive play') I'm hoping the league will maybe be 55/45 on "for fun/competitive."

I like the idea because it is fun. Would you say it is more casual? I look forward to (assuming it succeeds) talking about how so and so's gym and hard. "How can I beat him/her?" It sparks up conversation- almost like the real game.

AdamEternal

Vanished, poof, gone!
    Years
  • Holy Arceus, I'm gone for the rest of the day (have no choice), and I come back to this. THIS is why Polar Spectrum should be taking charge! I'll chat with Polar to get information. This is too much to handle. 0.0

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • I like the idea because it is fun. Would you say it is more casual? I look forward to (assuming it succeeds) talking about how so and so's gym and hard. "How can I beat him/her?" It sparks up conversation- almost like the real game.

All my yes. ^^ I don't mean 100% casual as in you can beat it with your first playthrough team - because the gym leaders will be challenging, and the champion will be the best amongst us, with a competitive team at his / her disposal. But I personally, don't want it to be 30 turns of switching Azumarills and Garchomps in and out of stealth rocks. Because seriously. There is NO instance of that, anywhere in any of the games, between gym leaders or elite 4, without going against other human opponents. I think if we just get the right spirt amongst the gym leaders, and keep sportsmanship and communication in our focus we should be alright. (not saying those pokemon, or things like entry hazards shouldn't be allowed. Just that we should be mindful about keeping a smidge of authenticity wedged between our pokeballs with this.)

Also - on what you said about the authentic gym leader / league feel- I think it's a great idea to discuss both challenger and leader teams openly. Helping each other out, suggesting tweaks to pokemon and team builds could really help some people step up their game. Maybe even get someone through the league who wouldn't have on their own, or had attempted to previously. And as long as the gym leaders are locked into one typing, their teams should be somewhat possible to document and share amongst challengers.

Holy Arceus, I'm gone for the rest of the day (have no choice), and I come back to this. THIS is why Polar Spectrum should be taking charge! I'll chat with Polar to get information. This is too much to handle. 0.0

Hah - I wouldn't say I should be 'in charge'. I'm eager to help push this, since I love the idea and wanna participate though. :P And you haven't missed that much, only 3 pages or so. : , Primary issue right now is discussing logistics. Sim vs Games and all that.

Anywhoooo.

This weekend may be a good chance to spearhead getting this started. I'm gonna send out some PM and VM's right now, to hopefully get someone to involve themselves heavily with the Showdown half of the league. Volunteers would be great too though : , I know a lot of people in the thread already said they're backing the idea, but is anyone willing to take a spot helping to organize dat sim half?

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • I'd be interested in participating. Definitely prefer Showdown, though, don't have a great ingame team.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • All my yes. ^^ I don't mean 100% casual as in you can beat it with your first playthrough team - because the gym leaders will be challenging, and the champion will be the best amongst us, with a competitive team at his / her disposal. But I personally, don't want it to be 30 turns of switching Azumarills and Garchomps in and out of stealth rocks. Because seriously. There is NO instance of that, anywhere in any of the games, between gym leaders or elite 4, without going against other human opponents. I think if we just get the right spirt amongst the gym leaders, and keep sportsmanship and communication in our focus we should be alright. (not saying those pokemon, or things like entry hazards shouldn't be allowed. Just that we should be mindful about keeping a smidge of authenticity wedged between our pokeballs with this.)

Also - on what you said about the authentic gym leader / league feel- I think it's a great idea to discuss both challenger and leader teams openly. Helping each other out, suggesting tweaks to pokemon and team builds could really help some people step up their game. Maybe even get someone through the league who wouldn't have on their own, or had attempted to previously. And as long as the gym leaders are locked into one typing, their teams should be somewhat possible to document and share amongst challengers.

Hah - I wouldn't say I should be 'in charge'. I'm eager to help push this, since I love the idea and wanna participate though. :P And you haven't missed that much, only 3 pages or so. : , Primary issue right now is discussing logistics. Sim vs Games and all that.

Anywhoooo.

This weekend may be a good chance to spearhead getting this started. I'm gonna send out some PM and VM's right now, to hopefully get someone to involve themselves heavily with the Showdown half of the league. Volunteers would be great too though : , I know a lot of people in the thread already said they're backing the idea, but is anyone willing to take a spot helping to organize dat sim half?

We should also establish some rules. I'm just brainstorming here.

No legendaries bar the trios.
    Pokebank is allowed.
    No smogon bans or complex bans (example: swag play and shell smash+ baton pass is allowed)
    Illegal/hacked/unrealeased HA is not allowed.
    No pokemon of the same pokedex number is allowed.

Again, just some ideas. I'll think of more later.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • This is a neat idea :) I just wish I knew more about competitive battling XD I'd be the Normal-Type Gym Leader Irène, and as Irène means peace, I'd pick Pokemon like:

Blissey
    Audino
    Wigglytuff
    Cincinno
    Delcatty

Cuteee <3 and they would all have Sing, as I'd put people to peaceful sleeps :P

Horrible accuracy, though.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • I'd be interested in participating. Definitely prefer Showdown, though, don't have a great ingame team.

Noooo problem :D We're gonna have everyone covered, with a bi-partisan league that supports X/Y and Showdown. Glad to have ya ~ probably set up a tourney or something to set places here in the next few days to a week.

We should also establish some rules. I'm just brainstorming here.

No legendaries bar the trios.
    Pokebank is allowed.
    No smogon bans or complex bans (example: swag play and shell smash+ baton pass is allowed)
    Illegal/hacked/unrealeased HA is not allowed.
    No pokemon of the same pokedex number is allowed.

Again, just some ideas. I'll think of more later.

I concur on the first one - I think I mentioned that in the semi-op about suggesting rules, glad to hear someone's with me hahah.
    Pokebank too, yes - seconded.
    Smogon bans, I withhold my opinion - I can't really say since I'm not even aware of all their numerous bans on movesets, abilities, items, and pokemon. I will read up on it though-
    Agree that no hacks should be allowed. Why ever would theyyyy-
    And concur on the no 2 same pokedex pokemon. Erm wait - do we wanna enforce that last one for Gym Leaders too? Some gym leaders and Elite 4 members have used 2 of the same pokemon, a lot actually. LANCE. With his 2 illegal Dragonite. lol.

This is a neat idea :) I just wish I knew more about competitive battling XD I'd be the Normal-Type Gym Leader Irène, and as Irène means peace, I'd pick Pokemon like:

Blissey
    Audino
    Wigglytuff
    Cincinno
    Delcatty

Cuteee <3 and they would all have Sing, as I'd put people to peaceful sleeps :P

Horrible accuracy, though.

xD I'm so hoping the actual leaders, whomever gets the roles - actually use teams like this. It'd be so much fun hahaah.

Also Wigglytuff is a monster, it's not at all about peace. I hear it's committed terrible crimes.

Years
  • I think 3:3 [3 wild cards] monotype would be best. If youre going to have strategy discussion on gym leaders, well they should at least be somewhat challenging. If im the grass gym and i have to pick all 6 grass types then all my opponent has to do is bring talonflame.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • xD I'm so hoping the actual leaders, whomever gets the roles - actually use teams like this. It'd be so much fun hahaah.

Also Wigglytuff is a monster, it's not at all about peace. I hear it's committed terrible crimes.

Harley_Wigglytuff.png

But yeah, I like themed teams, too, not just based on typing :)

TGM

Lunar Silhouette
    Years
  • I think 3:3 [3 wild cards] monotype would be best. If youre going to have strategy discussion on gym leaders, well they should at least be somewhat challenging. If im the grass gym and i have to pick all 6 grass types then all my opponent has to do is bring talonflame.

I believe we talked about this, but challengers can only use one team for the whole league.

So someone who brings a Talonflame for your grass gym would have a harder time if I were to have a water gym.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back