• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Programming languages you use?

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    I was told by someone that i would want to learn C for a pokemon romhack.

Anyone know where i can find some good books on how to do it, or another language i should use?

My only experience with anything of the sort was Python in my high school programming class.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    This is better suited in Computers & Technology since you aren't asking about hacking.

Moved

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
    Years
  • I was told by someone that i would want to learn C for a pokemon romhack.

Anyone know where i can find some good books on how to do it, or another language i should use?

My only experience with anything of the sort was Python in my high school programming class.
    Do you have an idea as to why they told you you would want to learn C?

Are you planning to make any programs that you will use for your ROM hack?

Or are you just going to use existing programs?

My guess is that someone told you that, because its easier to understand scripting if you have programming experience.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I use Python, because it can be compiled on all major operating systems :B

I also know a fair bit of Objective-C, which is primarily used on the Mac OS X operating system.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    There is something i wanna know, I wanna to be a Programer when i grow up, both Video Games and Computers and I wanna learn about the
    langs:

C+, C++, LUA (I heard its a sort-of AI-Programming language), Java, Java Script, MEL, and GOAL

Does anyone have any info on any of them?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    LUA (I heard its a sort-of AI-Programming language)
    It's used by Relic, the RTS developer well-known for making Dawn of War, to program their games' AI and script files.
    I'm told it's 'Turing complete' which means it can handle any programmable function, which makes perfect sense since as a language it was made to handle a wide variety of paradigms without being overly complex.
    Lua is not an abbreviation, mind you, it's a word: Portuguese for moon.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I program in VB6, I know a bit of Javascript, and I know Actionscript, I know Ruby, and I am learning GBA Assembly. I am also pretty good with CSS, really good in fact.

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
  • I prefer Python, mostly because I play a computer game that is built using Python as its program code, and I like to make mods for it and expand upon it

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Python can get really slow if you're using it for an actually...like...intensive game...

But right now I'm focusing on Java in college. Major similarities between C and Java and...it's just fun. Can also be compiled to use on most operating systems with little change.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Java. Its for my secret project im macking right now and well i am thinking about this little project for the computer running it on java for mobile phones.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I'm pretty good with PHP and Python. I also know a decent amount of C (still have a lot to learn, though). Other languages I have used are C++ (very little) and Visual Basic (I took it in high school...it was a prerequisite for Java, which they would not put me in for some reason).

Pokemon Nigh tBlack Version

Death Incarnate.
    Years
  • what program should i use to edit scripts in pokemon roms? i want to make a whole new area for fire red version, like in the metal generation (gold, silver, crystal). to do this, though, im going to need to know what o use to do it with. i have microsoft visual studio with VB6, C++, C#, and i know a bit of CSS and HTML. please help me.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    GUI and HTML? Haha

Anyways...I use the programming language that has most of my interest at some given time. Right now it's JavaScript...

Back