• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
Years
  • -ANOTHER fire/fighting >.>
    -Those roaming? legendary thingies that are just a recolor and slight edit of each other >.>
    -No VS seeker? >:O (Meh, like i fight trainers end game anyways. Action replay ftw xD)
    -Why is there a desert in the middle of New York...?
    -The trainer classes you pick for your avatar. They arent my style...Atleast for the male character (But I wanna be a guy this time :O)
    -Triple battles/rotation battles. Meh I just thought that 2 vs 2 was good and as far as they were gonna go. Don't hate em though.
    -No pokemon following you. POOOORRRRQUUUUUE????? T^T

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • 3v3 battles and unbreakable TMs really.

Are you expressing a con? In that case, you must not use Earthquake that much. Or did you like having to rack up 80 Battle Points just to buy it in the Battle Frontier...? :\

-Why is there a desert in the middle of New York...?

-No pokemon following you. POOOORRRRQUUUUUE????? T^T

I...don't know, actually. Because Game Freak can? :cer_confused:

POOOORRRR QUUUUUÉ?, indeed. T_T 'Tis a shame.

Whoa...4 different "porques" in Spanish...I mainly used 2 in Spanish class! O_o

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Are you expressing a con? In that case, you must not use Earthquake that much. Or did you like having to rack up 80 Battle Points just to buy it in the Battle Frontier...? :\
    Omigosh yes <3 Goodbye disposable TM's, you will not be missed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    I'm sorry, I have nothing against Cheren or Bianca (in fact, I quite like them), but I've just arrived at the Pinwheel forest and am already SICK of them both.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I actually quite like the fact that they actually have a point in the games instead of showing up 3-4 times with drastically under-leveled Pokemon.

Phototoxin

Lord of Darkness
    Years
  • Not too keen on : lack of following pokemon, new pokemon are a bit 'the same' only uglier and with worse names, it seems to be a lot more 'grindy' than previous versions, no classic pokemon until after the game is finished, the pixelated battle sprites. Music isn't as catchy.

I do like the 'world' graphics though.

PS - I like the reuseable TMs! Best thing about it!

PS - I like the reuseable TMs! Best thing about it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    this game.....

So I beat pokemon White with only 12 hours of gameplay.12.On top of that,this game feels very unorganized.The pokemon are stupid and the story tried to be deep.How deep can you get with a pokemon game?I caught the main legendary with one ultra ball (not sure if its suppose to happen) and was amazed.Victory road took like 10 minutes and the pokemon league was very easy.(Yes I know you can go back and fight them at higher levels)

The thing that really ticked me off was the incompatibility with the 3rd generation games.I cant pop in my Ruby or Sapphire and simply use PalPark.I have to transfer to 4th gen.What a waste of time.

Ive been a pokemon fan for years and Im so disappointed.Diamond and Pearl got it right,Black and white did not.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So I beat pokemon White with only 12 hours of gameplay.12.On top of that,this game feels very unorganized.The pokemon are stupid and the story tried to be deep.How deep can you get with a pokemon game?I caught the main legendary with one ultra ball (not sure if its suppose to happen) and was amazed.Victory road took like 10 minutes and the pokemon league was very easy.(Yes I know you can go back and fight them at higher levels)

The thing that really ticked me off was the incompatibility with the 3rd generation games.I cant pop in my Ruby or Sapphire and simply use PalPark.I have to transfer to 4th gen.What a waste of time.

Ive been a pokemon fan for years and Im so disappointed.Diamond and Pearl got it right,Black and white did not.

You have a lot of complaints there :(
    Merged with pros and cons anyway, since you're mentioning the cons you've found.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    So much hate. D:

Okay, one thing I really love is the fact that all of the little problems and inconveniences have been cleaned up.

-Faster Battles.
    -Eyes closed during sleep status.
    -Easier leveling.
    -A lot of moves fixed, like Tackle and Giga Drain.
    -Smarter AI.
    -Moving Pokemon.
    -Faster battles.

And the big stuff like...

-Much better plot.
    -Fantastic Pokemon Design.
    -Better characters.

Cons.
    -Palpitoad. He scares me D:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Okay so I was reading that you do not receive any poison damage outside of battle... that is a bit of a con imo, what good reason was there to take out that logical feature? That makes poison rather useless now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay so I was reading that you do not receive any poison damage outside of battle... that is a bit of a con imo, what good reason was there to take out that logical feature? That makes poison rather useless now.
    I didn't know that. But it's more of a pro to me because it's annoying to have your Pokemon lose health as you walk aorund.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I didn't know that. But it's more of a pro to me because it's annoying to have your Pokemon lose health as you walk aorund.

Yeah I was reading about it on Serebii Forums. I think even though it can be annoying, it was really unnecessary XD I will miss it a little even though it caused many problems.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    1. No new eevee evos... that disappoints me but I understand that you'd need to be able to get an eevee to get them and there's no pokemon from others gens int he beginning

2. Too many psychic pokemon

3. Only one region

That's all so far

Yukimi

Nautical Star
    Years
  • The distribution of Pokemon is perfect this gen. Reoccurring Pokemon in each and every area was something that really annoyed me about DPPT.
    New Pokemon are slowly introduced through out the game this time. It makes things very exciting. :)

Years
  • Con, is no option of L = A.... I always find myself tapping the Left button....

As well, I was reading about fishing in the region. I saw that you can start fishing only after you defeat the elite four? Hopefully that is not true..

Years
  • Some minor things I noticed that I really love are that the Pokemon's names are no longer in all caps, and when you use items, like potions/rare candies, etc, it's a lot faster. ^___^

U mad, bro?

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    So I beat pokemon White with only 12 hours of gameplay.12.

Sounds like you rushed through the game.
    For comparison, I've clocked 34 hours and I've only just gotten my 6th badge!

3. Only one region
    Someone obviously got spoilt by HGSS.

i just wishes i had people beside the elite four and rivals to rebattle

You can rebattle the trainers in the Nimbasa sports dome as well as the ferris whell.
    After you beat the game, you can battle Cynthia every few months.

Back