• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Thank you for bringing this up. I was about to post this myself. But yeah, everything you just said is exactly what I've been thinking. Amazing story, but yet it really seems like some things were cut out. Apparently the Shadow Triad are dark beings if I remember correctly. Ok...dark beings from where and how? Deep story, nicely put together but yet it left me feeling empty not to know where they came from. Even N's past would've been nice to know in full. I like the fact that N used Zoroark in the battle, but when did he meet Zorua as it showed in the opening? What impact did it have? Obviously Zorua and Zoroark being really rare Pokemon must've contributed something important to the story and N himself. There had to have been more to this story because those characters are not random. That said, this explains why the game is as short as it is.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    This is a rather simple and cliche answer to this, but I honestly believe a lot of this stuff was kept secretive or unanswered for the third game. Even if it wasn't planned like so, I'm sure we'll see more answers to this stuff in the next game.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Seems like we're listing a con about the games.

I have yet to complete the game and absorb everything it has for me, so I don't have an opinion on what they've left out and how it makes a bad impact for the games. :(

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
    This is a rather simple and cliche answer to this, but I honestly believe a lot of this stuff was kept secretive or unanswered for the third game. Even if it wasn't planned like so, I'm sure we'll see more answers to this stuff in the next game.

I thought about this too, and I really hope so. :c
    I really don't see much a of a reason to leave out bits and pieces of a story just for the third game, even though the third game of a Pokemon game usually does implement small changes to the storyline.
    But I would be very impressed if they did manage to answer most of the untouched plot-bunnies they just left floating around in B/W.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    Basically what the previous posters said.

Removing the VS. Seeker had both pros and cons, though I'm too lazy to list them.

Too bad it's far more difficult to train pokemon after you defeated all of the trainers.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    OMG BEST FEATURE EVER.

Okay so I was planning to take on Opelucid gym when I decided to go off exploring. In that time, I went to the road leading up to Victory road if you have the badges. When I got to Mistralton Badge's Gate... well, YOU CAN FLOAT. OMG. I'm sorry but I find that really amazing. IT'S ALMOST LIKE BEING ABLE TO FLY YOURSELF IN A POKEMON GAME. ADFSUHASIFDJ. Most amazing thing ever. Even if it is for only a small thing. XD

Lots more pros, they'll be posted in a list eventually but I needed to obsess over this somewhere. XDD;;

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    The only con I have is that the game somehow bugs if both of your active pokemon faints in a double battle D: hnng

I thought this too, but here's a comment on a Youtube video:
    I was slightly confused when I first saw it, but it's not a glitch. It's a new style where, if both of your Pokemon faints in a double battle, you have to choose the slot where you want to replace the fainted Pokemon. In order to do that, just choose your Pokemon and the fainted Pokemon you want to switch it for.

Anyway, I hate the big level gap after beating the Elite Four. My Pokemon keep dying. T_T

Pikachu-dance!

Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott :)
    Years
    after a quick look through this thread i havent seen one person mention the musicals...

I LOVE THEM!!! :)

its like a dream come true to me because i love dancing and i love doing the alternatives to battling in the games, it is so cute dressing up your pokemon and letting them dance to music :) and the variety of pokemon to do it with :) its just so amazing!:)

And of course the reast of the game is amazing too :)

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    Skyarrow Bridge

I love Black and White, but am i the only one who HATES the quirky camera angles on Skyarrow Bridge. They annoyed me because i kept on accidentally kept hitting the wall when it switched angles, i even mentioned it on my blog!

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    lawl their names are actually relevant so apparently they were thinking when they came up with them.

Hilbert means "magnificent in battle" and Hilda means "battle maiden." Just like how Cheren and Bianca both have meaningful names which respectively mean "Black" and "White" in Slavic.

So while Hilbert and Hilda do have the Dukes of Hazard Pokemon Style feel to it, it's actually pretty cool to see how much thought they put into the names.

/the things TVtropes has taught me.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    lawl their names are actually relevant so apparently they were thinking when they came up with them.

Hilbert means "magnificent in battle" and Hilda means "battle maiden." Just like how Cheren and Bianca both have meaningful names which respectively mean "Black" and "White" in Slavic.

So while Hilbert and Hilda do have the Dukes of Hazard Pokemon Style feel to it, it's actually pretty cool to see how much thought they put into the names.

/the things TVtropes has taught me.

Cheren and Bianca are oki names, and perhaps the meaning behind it is there, but they could've found a different name with a similar meaning that doesn't sound so bad.

Spoiler:

Hilbert and Hilda are some of the worst names ever, so ugly, why not something nice like... uh...

>>

well, not those names. They could've thought of better >:|

Examples:

Boy

Blanchard (White - French)
    Candid (White - Latin)
    Corvin / Corwin (White Castle - English)
    Gavin (White Hawk of Battle - Welsh)
    Gwynn (White - Welsh)
    Irwyn (Fresh White - Welsh)
    Rajat (Silvery White - Sanskrit)
    Whitaker (White Land - English)
    Whitby (White Farm - English)
    White (White - English - duh)

Aswad (Black - Arabic)
    Doug (Black Water - Gaelic)
    Jet[t] (Black Gemstone - English)

Girl

Anwen (White - Welsh)
    Blanche (White - French)
    Blanchflor (White Flower - French)
    Candie (Fire-White - Greek)
    Fiona (White - Gaelic)
    Gwen (White - Welsh)
    Guinevere (White - Welsh)
    Gweneth (White - Welsh)
    Jen (White - Cornish)
    Jennifer (White - Cornish)
    Kandace / Candice (Fire-White - Greek)
    Rim[a] / Reema (White Antelope - Arabic)
    Whitney (White Island - English)

Jedda (Jet-Black Gemstone - English)
    Mela (Black - Greek)
    Melanie (Black - Greek)

I'd have preferred the duo of Cheren and Bianca vs. Jett and Candice myself :< or Jett and Rima.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    Before the game came out i did look at all the pokemon and let me tell i hated all of them i think i found about 13 i liked. I was really disappointed and started doubting Pokemon and thinking this will be my final year. But soon enough March 10th rolled around i brought White for myself and Black for my sister, and i really have to admit almost every single pokemon has grown on me i only really hate one of them (Sewaddle's middle stage). So i really have to say to people who have no purchased Black/White please buy the game has relight the fire i have for pokemon that will continue for a while.

But there is for me 1 major, major con with Black/White the whole bag setting and layout. But even still that is just a cosmetic con so really i agree with the 40/40 rating.

Lightias

-_-
    Years
    Con: Gone is the VS Seeker. The lack of new PokéBalls.

Pro: Amazing aesthetics. More comfortable difficulty. Anti-grinding system, both ways.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Cons: the item we had in D/P/Platinum that let us chain shiny pokemon
    White forest SUCKS i never get anything i want :/ and all i get are a bunch of worthless pokemon that need to be trade evolved
    A bunch of useless TMs and the lack of dragon pulse& dark pulse...
    and Sevipers lack of dark pulse in its moveset making it IMPOSSIBLE to breed a deino with dark pulse without HG or SS.

Pros: finally got a place i cant figure out: the abyssal ruins, bloody hell i cant figure it out at all, i tried lookin it up, but still nothing.

Years
    The best bit about Black and White: The graphics, characters and Unova Region based off America. Top notch! Unfezant, Frillish and Jellicent's gender differences, Bianca and Cheren are cool, Reshiram and Zekrom rock!!!

The worst bit about Black and White: Getting rid of some of my fave Gen IV TMs and replacing them with new Gen V moves instead. Trubbish and Garbodor have the worst look of the new Pokemon, 2 starters being pure-typed throughout evolution and Tepig's evos given Fighting-type, we've already had 2 Fire starter families with Fighting-type. Still no Dark-type Gym yet just another Elite Four member. And also, no Gen I, Gen II, Gen III or Gen IV Pokemon until National Dex, just to show everyone that Unova is distant from other lands.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Klinklang? Well...

Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Just a spin, to the left.

Pretty much there are those things within the games that we all like and love, such as the Pokemon animations, or Clay the gym leader, and there are those things we don't really like, such as Ghetsis' personality, Lenora's Watchog and Skyla. This is a simple question for the latter. :)

What don't you like in Pokemon Black/White (What grinds your Klinklang?)

Audino, for obvious reasons Probably the first thing I notice when I play this game that I don't like, is the fact that the game starts off like something, which is fresh, and new but then later on appears to be some sort of just a repeat of something else, like it just starts to get the old feel of Pokemon. I sometimes feel like I'm repeating myself lots. For me, this usually kick in around the time I get to Driftveil City or something. Another thing I don't like, is the fact that some Pokemon take forever to evolve. I mean, you want to train a Braviary, so most chances are that it won't evolve until you're well into the final Battle with Ghetsis. Want a Hydreigon? Gonna have to wait for level 64 for that. One more thing, is that Tepig evolution line. Why does it have to be another fire/fighting type Pokemon? Granted it's more like Hariyama, which is cool, but still. </3

Just note: This thread is more for personal dislikes. Please leave anything along the lines of general dislikes to their appropriate threads.

Back