• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSN Down, How Do You Feel?

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    I do not have a PS3. I feel sorry for the ones who do, and I hope your information stays safe, but I can't say I am not glad about Sony being damaged. I hate Sony.
    Just because you hate a company doesn't mean that you shouldn't care. It affects everyone that owns a PS3, and everyone that works at Sony too.

When do you guys think PSN will be back up? I think around Thursday-Friday, since it's close to the weekend. Also, this is the real reason PSN is down.

Last edited:

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    I'm hoping it's up by wednesday.

It's my 18th, and I'll be picking up MK9.
    I'll be abit dissapointed if I cant pwn some noobs online >_>.

Zet

Years
    Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Well since this is more video games related it's probably best suited for Video Gaming and not Other Chat but if Fabio or any other staff member thinks otherwise then they can move it to Other Chat.

While it doesn't say much about what exactly happened, a new update to the PlayStation Network disaster reveals that somebody, somewhere, managed to break into the system and get hold of your private information - all of it.

If you're reading this, then you're almost certainly aware that over the past week, Sony's PlayStation Network has been suffering some rather severe technical difficulties. Sony is apparently still trying to figure out what's going on, or at the very least isn't yet ready to disclose all the facts, and there's still no ETA for a resumption of services. But in a new status update, Sony revealed that PlayStation Network and Qriocity user data has in fact been compromised. And not just your PSN ID.

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID," Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote in a message being sent to all registered PSN account holders. "It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

"If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," he continued. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

In other words, not to put too fine a point on it, whoever broke into Sony's systems got everything - everything. At this point, the situation appears to have shifted from a dispassionately amusing debacle to an absolute balls-out train wreck, certainly not helped by the fact that Sony may have sat on this information for nearly a full week before letting the public know just how badly it was compromised.

Sony advised PSN members to pay special attention to their credit card account statements and other related information, be alert for email, telephone and postal scams and change all passwords as soon as possible, which is to say, whenever Sony gets the PSN working again. It also regrets any inconvenience.

And it ain't over yet, folks. We'll keep you posted.
    Source

I'm quite disappointed that Sony didn't tell this early but I'm glad they have told people this so they can change their passwords and be on the look out for scams and such. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Moderators Note: Merged into existing PSN topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    I personally think it won't be long before the metaphorical camel's back is broken and Sony goes out of the Console business.

Years
    Christ, it doesn't get much worse than that, does it.
    I will change all my info, but I want to know how they so easily got in. :/​

I personally think it won't be long before the metaphorical camel's back is broken and Sony goes out of the Console business.

I can't see Sony going out of the console wars anytime soon, if I am honest.​

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    That is actually pretty wierd as psn went down on wed/thursday and my email was hacked on thursday night... sounds dodgy to me. If that is the case Sony will have major problems with me as it was the account I used for bo live that I can no longer use as my account is gone that i signed up with.

Zet

Years
    I don't know why people are ranting on YT, it's showing how much of a fanboy there are but if it's just to play Infamous 2 beta, I could understand their pain a little.

Also Sony is keeping PSN shutdown indefinitely until the problem has been fixed.

Christ, it doesn't get much worse than that, does it.
    I will change all my info, but I want to know how they so easily got in. :/​

I also want to know how they got in and why people's information isn't encrypted to prevent that sort of stuff from happening.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Worried about my credit card info right now but my own personal info aside, I'm not too worried about all this. :/ I don't think Sony will suffer much of a hit console wars-wise over all this.

I was really surprised to hear that it's been down for so long though. I was out of town and away from the internet for a while so I had no idea until I got back that the mere outage was a lot bigger than I thought. I'm still surprised that it's down. Kinda sucks since I wanted to co-op Portal 2 with my brother without resorting to split-screen.

Ces soirees-la

Hello, Hello
    Years
    I think that I was lucky, I wiped all my PSN data about a week earlier as I was trading it in for an Xbox.
    I don't know why people bother doing this, if they get caught, then they're going to be doing some serious time.
    And I wonder whats going to happen to Sony if the hacker gets people Credit Card details and begins using them?
    I'm predicting some hefty law suits.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

Just because you hate a company doesn't mean that you shouldn't care. It affects everyone that owns a PS3, and everyone that works at Sony too.

When do you guys think PSN will be back up? I think around Thursday-Friday, since it's close to the weekend. Also, this is the real reason PSN is down.

Whoa...I'm not much of an expert in that field, but it seems like a plausible reason... Though I'll take it with a grain of salt, as I don't think Sony has acknowledged that officially as well.

Well since this is more video games related it's probably best suited for Video Gaming and not Other Chat but if Fabio or any other staff member thinks otherwise then they can move it to Other Chat.

Source

I'm quite disappointed that Sony didn't tell this early but I'm glad they have told people this so they can change their passwords and be on the look out for scams and such. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Moderators Note: Merged into existing PSN topic.

It does not do Sony good for them postponing the release of such information...but that's just horrible. I mean, I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart, but even Sony shouldn't have to go through something this bad. This is worsening into something far beyond the scope of what I originally thought it was...it would've been helpful if all that financial information was better encrypted beforehand... This is one reason I prefer in-person transactions as opposed to online ones...and regarding videogames, I've only purchased products from physical store locations, and will likely continue doing so to avoid such a complication...

I don't know why people bother doing this, if they get caught, then they're going to be doing some serious time.
    And I wonder whats going to happen to Sony if the hacker gets people Credit Card details and begins using them?
    I'm predicting some hefty law suits.

I really hope that whichever party is responsible for this far-reaching issue is caught so that justice could be upheld...though it would suck if Sony was unable to catch them and had to be subject to all of those potential lawsuits. :< I FREAKING HATE HACKERS; I cannot say that enough. >:[ It's so annoying how malicious people take advantage of exploits like this...

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It does not do Sony good for them postponing the release of such information...but that's just horrible. I mean, I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart, but even Sony shouldn't have to go through something this bad. This is worsening into something far beyond the scope of what I originally thought it was...it would've been helpful if all that financial information was better encrypted beforehand... This is one reason I prefer in-person transactions as opposed to online ones...and regarding videogames, I've only purchased products from physical store locations, and will likely continue doing so to avoid such a complication...

"There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down."
    -Patrick Seybold

It should be noted that they did immediately shut down the PSN after they learned that the network was being intruded.

Zet

Years
    Just so you know credit card information might have been gotten so there's a chance the person didn't get it, but if they did the information would be useless since they don't have the 3 digit security code for them.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    Psn's been down? what?.... woah where have I been....Obviousally not on psn.
    As for how I feel? I have portal 2 on Pc so I'm Grrrraaannnddd.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They're handling this well, it's just a shame that the average PSN user feels the need to fling crap at Sony as though the company itself did anything untoward — no system is unhackable, so it's said. People who put their card details on the Inernet, knowing full well that they could be compromised... the ignorance on display is astounding.
    I don't especially like Sony, but I don't dislike them, so I hope the PR hit from this isn't too bad.

Last edited:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    I am lucky, the last transaction I made was with an old card. I haven't really been using my PS3 much recently (bit of a waste). I love how the hack was supposed to be a protest about OtherOS, and now credit card details are being stolen.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Just so you know credit card information might have been gotten so there's a chance the person didn't get it, but if they did the information would be useless since they don't have the 3 digit security code for them.
    There are transaction methods which do not require user input of the CVV (Card verification) code. Just having your CC#, Expiry date and name on the card is oftentimes enough to run fraudulent charges against your account.

They're handling this well, it's just a shame that the average PSN user feels the need to fling crap at Sony as though the company itself did anything untoward — no system is unhackable, so it's said. People who put their card details on the Inernet, knowing full well that they could be compromised... the ignorance on display is astounding.
    I don't especially like Sony, but I don't dislike them, so I hope the PR hit from this isn't too bad.

This is true. Part of the reason why I use "Throw-away" prepaid cards, or my PayPal Debit card for things online typically...so that I can guard against this type of intrusion. Of course I also assess the risk. If a site is high-risk for hacking, I'll ensure that I use the Paypal card, which can be disconnected in a hurry from other payment sources in case of fraud.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Well that just spells out worse case situation, doesn't it?

Fine for me. I'm not an online player anyways, so i didn't have a bunch of relevant information there. My e-mail was an old one I use for mainly spam type stuff, I don't leave credit card information in the system (don't know if they had access to records that may have had the info), and I even never updated my Facebook password.

Slacking ftw.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't have a PS3, and even if I did, I don't have the means to play online anyway, so this wouldn't affect me either way. I do hope everyone's information is safe though. :/ If I did have PSN I'd be pretty worried.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    It makes me angry! today was the first day I was getting on in like 2months and just to find out that its down? BULL!

Back