• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PSN Down, How Do You Feel?

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    It hasn't affected my gaming at all, since I only play Nintendo games, but I do feel sorry for the insecurity it must be causing for PSN players as some of their very sensitive information was undoubtedly accessed. I really hope nobody gets defrauded because of this.

If this does happen, they could get their pants sued off of them, and one successful case could blow open a Pandora's Box of lawsuits- or worse, a big ****ing class action suit. The company did say that there was no evidence of any sensitive information being stolen, but how are they to know that unless they find the person that did so?

I also heard that the people that may have been affected by this hack had their information stored in an "outdated" database.

Sony's response thus far has been shaky, but I think it's the least they can do to provide free identity theft protection services. I wonder if they will end up helping those who must get new credit cards?

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Well... That's what you get when you declare war to the hacker community. Sony totally deserved it. Let's hope everybody cancels their credit cards and replaces them in time.
    Hope you know Anonymous didnt want to make gamers feel like this. other hackers hacked in and thought it would be awesome to do this, which it wasnt. Now everyone is pissed at those hackers. Anonymous just hacked them, didnt steal nothing. Just the other hackers got in to do it. Sony and Geohot came down to a decision they both agree on. Sony and Geohot basically closed the "war" on it. >.> It was hackers who are little butthurt about it, and took it out on sony.

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years

Hope you know Anonymous didnt want to make gamers feel like this. other hackers hacked in and thought it would be awesome to do this, which it wasnt. Now everyone is pissed at those hackers. Anonymous just hacked them, didnt steal nothing. Just the other hackers got in to do it. Sony and Geohot came down to a decision they both agree on. Sony and Geohot basically closed the "war" on it. >.> It was hackers who are little butthurt about it, and took it out on sony.
    Geohot declaring didn't had any involvement: https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/geohot-on-psn-hacking-i-am-not-involve.html
    Anonymous denies any involvement towards hacking the PSN:
    https://www.gamefront.com/anonymous-denies-responsibility-for-psn-hack/

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well... That's what you get when you declare war to the hacker community. Sony totally deserved it.
    Oh my god, I know right? How dare Sony try to protect their money and stay afloat as a company! The sheer gall they have!

I mean, it's not like Nintendo or Microsoft are anti-piracy.

ソラ

Years
    Geohot declaring didn't had any involvement: https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/geohot-on-psn-hacking-i-am-not-involve.html
    Anonymous denies any involvement towards hacking the PSN:
    https://www.gamefront.com/anonymous-denies-responsibility-for-psn-hack/
    He did hack the PSN the first time like a couple of weeks before the outage tho.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/04/sonys-response-to-the-u-s-house-of-representatives/ also anonymous did hack sony SOE. cause the hackers planted a file that says "we are legion" with the name Anonymous.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

He did hack the PSN the first time like a couple of weeks before the outage tho.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/04/sonys-response-to-the-u-s-house-of-representatives/ also anonymous did hack sony SOE. cause the hackers planted a file that says "we are legion" with the name Anonymous.
    Geohotz didn't hack the PSN. He broke every PS3 key(except 1) and his PS3 was offline. The only account of his noticed online was his friend's, and I believe him, as spineless as he may act.

Anonymous hacked it not because of the file, but because Anonymous isn't an organization. Anyone is Anonymous as long as they claim to be Anonymous.

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years

I know Geohot hacked but it was jailbreaking due to some features removed from the PS3 when upgrading to (Can't remember right now).
    Anonymous did hack Sony's website but not the PSN. If I can remember right, it was due to Sony filing a sue to Geohot & demanding everyone's IP address who visited his blog or viewed his videos.

ソラ

Years

Geohotz didn't hack the PSN. He broke every PS3 key(except 1) and his PS3 was offline. The only account of his noticed online was his friend's, and I believe him, as spineless as he may act.

Anonymous hacked it not because of the file, but because Anonymous isn't an organization. Anyone is Anonymous as long as they claim to be Anonymous.

Well Anyone could of done that. the Original Anonymous said he didnt do. But i wasnt talking about Geohot. :| I was talking about anonymous. He released a video after PSN was hacked a couple weeks before the outage saying he did it.

I know Geohot hacked but it was jailbreaking due to some features removed from the PS3 when upgrading to (Can't remember right now).
    Anonymous did hack Sony's website but not the PSN. If I can remember right, it was due to Sony filing a sue to Geohot & demanding everyone's IP address who visited his blog or viewed his videos.

Read what i said above about geohot.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Anonymous is not a person. There is no "Original Anonymous". If you think the moniker "Anonymous" has any real meaning, you obviously haven't visited the board it came from in an exceedingly long time. >_>

ソラ

Years
    Anonymous is not a person. There is no "Original Anonymous". If you think the moniker "Anonymous" has any real meaning, you obviously haven't visited the board it came from in an exceedingly long time. >_>
    I know they are a person. Original Anonymous I was referring to their group or, their "Legion". I might of said he. Probably cause it was a habit that I did thought they were a He like a month ago. Lol I don't talk to much about anonymous.

Years
    Oooookkkkk.
    Sony CEO sorry for PSN hack, offers data theft insurance

"To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely."
    All found HERE.
    This sounds positive, don't you think? And at least they are covering all of their bases to make the customers happy.

Years
    Too bad the data theft insurance is only for people in the US, but it's still not going to make the lawsuit drop :(

It is true.
    I don't know how they will deal with the lawsuit.

What do you think will happen if they lose the lawsuit? Do you think they will be effected greatly?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Funny that you say jailbreak.

For the time being the most accurate explanation is that the PSN was hacked by sub-groups of anonymous to get back at Sony, not the people. Your details are not what they are after.

It all started after a certain update from Sony disabled some features on the PS3 and they could not be restored by any other means then jailbreaking. If you didn't install this update apparently you wouldn't be able to go online again. Someone then released a video of how to jailbreak the PS3 and install the features that were available and advertised prior to the update. He was then sued and Sony won the rights to every IP address that ever visited the man's site or viewed his videos. Which means Sony were the one who broke privacy. Anyone who had visited the website or viewed the video were then able to be sued as well.

Sub-groups of anonymous then attacked PSN and shut it down and are claiming they will continue to keep it down until their demands are met which go something along the lines of this:
    - Sony are to restore the features that were available prior to the update.
    - They are to stop any lawsuits against people who altered a product THEY own.
    - Sony are to leave the people who's IP addresses they have alone.

Sorry if this has been said in the thread.

Though do not claim this as 100% accurate, I am simply stating the most clear answer there is. And to be honest I am very disappointed at the way Sony are treating this and how they and the media have over-exaggerated this as if the people who hacked PSN have everyones information and will take all of their money and bomb their houses.

This is just my opinion.

That "automatic receipt of offenders' IP addresses" is a bit much, in my opinion. :/ And it's Sony's system anyway, they should be able to dictate what features that they want to implement, not what some immature hackers wish for.

Sony is the one whose been battling with hackers to stop it entirely basically. they've taken a very strong stance on the subject and that has angered some of these immature hackers that do things like this. They think its their right to hack or something.

Microsoft didn't do it when they got hacked years ago. Its so easy to hack Microsoft stuff that they don't really bother and only really make their most important stuff (like databases and such) very secure. Without P.O.ed hackers, there's no initiative to try to and break the systems like they did with Sony.

In the end, its the fault of immature hackers.

Well... That's what you get when you declare war to the hacker community. Sony totally deserved it. Let's hope everybody cancels their credit cards and replaces them in time.

Though I'm intrigued by the concept of HomeBrew applications, the hackers aren't entitled to hack anything. Sony perfectly has the right to restrict and permit whatever features they wish on their product, regardless of what the hacker community has to say about it. And the hackers have no right to retaliate in such a way that compromises the security of innocent individuals, no matter how butthurt they may be against Sony's anti-hacking stance.

It's really nice of them to give us free stuff, even though they already allow us to get some minor stuff for free and play with our friends online for free.

I agree; it's nice that PlayStation players are being offered concessions in the wake of such a tragic time for the company of Sony.

lol, ill restate what i said.

PSN asked to be shut down trying to sue someone from hackers anonymous, thus this ordeal happened. it sucks people's credit card info was at risk. Sony even sued PSN. they have some problems to address.
    PS3 sales will go down along with the amount of players in its community.

Uh... no, that barely makes sense, and mostly isn't true.

"PSN asked to be shut down trying to sue someone from hackers anonymous" doesn't make any sense.

Sony suing PSN? Thats just stupid. They're not going to sue themselves. Anyone with common sense can see thats not true.

Uh...this. >_>

To clarify: the only ones being sued are Sony.

https://tinyurl.com/3bqbork

I find it hilarious. Why? Because it clearly states in the terms of service that Sony cannot be held responsible for any data theft or loss. Which essentially means that this lawsuit is pointless, unless they can somehow prove that Sony didn't meet it's part of the agreement.

And for those wondering, a diagram was released that showed how the hacker(s) got into the system.

https://tinyurl.com/3cft5bf

That may not make sense to the average person, but I'll do my best to explain.

The web server is the server that you physically connect to when you sign on to the network. That server is connected to the application server. The application server is where all of the applications are run. The PS Store and various other services are run off of this server. Finally, that server is connected to the database server. The database server simply stores all of the data for the user in a database. It's essentially an electronic record-keeping platform. By finding a vulnerability in the web server, the hacker(s) was/were able to get into the application server. From there, they placed a tool that attacked the database server. Once the tool attacks the database server, they've got all the goods.

Interesting...I wonder whether the lawsuit(s) will actually be upheld if that clause is indeed in the PlayStation Network contract...
    Stupid exploitations...

Ok, as if it cannot get any worse for Sony, THEY GOT HACKED. AGAIN!

Source

0_0 Apparently, it was Sony Online Entertainment this time (I thought they were the same thing... >_>). Honestly, I'd like to thoroughly smack whichever butthurt individual(s) is/are doing this heinous act against Sony.

It is true.
    I don't know how they will deal with the lawsuit.

What do you think will happen if they lose the lawsuit? Do you think they will be effected greatly?

I think this will be a major setback for Sony if their efforts to combat the lawsuit are not fruitful. This occurrence seems to be one of the most notable threats to videogaming in recent memory, and the number of potentially affected accounts is nothing to shy away at - it's in the millions right now. I'm not exactly sure about the methods Sony used to properly encrypt financial data of their customers, but I'm confident that they will be constantly re-evaluating their data safeguards more often in the near future. I'm just hoping that the incident doesn't cause Sony to skim on their hardware/software offerings for the next console generation... Furthermore, the larger amount of people that are afflicted by theft and credit damaging, the more likely that said users may switch to another gaming company and abandon Sony altogether, IMO.

Wait... What? Only for US Customers? That's rather unfair in my eyes, being a Canadian Citizen. Even with what they have, someone else could claim to be me and I could get all the downfall of it.

I think that it will put a big dent in Sony's image if they do. But, the ball is in the consumer's field: They will choose if they still want to keep in Sony's products, or move to another system. But, I think Sony will loose a lot of customers from this. Even a few dollars as well.

The reparations should be given to all countries affected, not just PlayStation players with U.S. citizenship. :\ As Team Fail stated, the fate of Sony is going to be highly dependent on their consumers, especially if any of the said consumers receive downfall from this incident and must weather the processes of resolving online monetary theft and such.

Also, this link was posted earlier: apparently sensitive data was not stored in cleartext form, nor was there a deal posed to Sony that required them to pay a certain sum to purchase the "list" back from the hackers.... https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/sony-sheds-more-light-on-psn-credit-card-info-security.html

ソラ

Years
    Also, did anyone hear that Hackers have another plan to hack Sony again.
    https://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html#ixzz1LbobTMSK
    Man these hackers should stop, like forreal :o

Also; https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/06/important-step-for-service-restoration/ at the european blog site of PS.
    Nick Caplin – Head of Communications said:
    Today our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services.
    As previously mentioned, we've been working around the clock to rebuild the network and enhance protections of your personal data. It's our top priority to ensure your data is safe when you begin using the services again.
    We understand that many of you are eager to again enjoy the PlayStation Network and Qriocity entertainment services that you love, so we wanted you to be aware of this milestone and our progress. We will provide additional updates as soon as we can.

Looks like we might see it soon since they said it began their final stages of testing :D

Last edited:

gameplayer56

Loving Latias Forever
    Years
    Also, did anyone hear that Hackers have another plan to hack Sony again.
    https://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html#ixzz1LbobTMSK
    Man these hackers should stop, like forreal :o

Also; https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/06/important-step-for-service-restoration/ at the european blog site of PS.

Looks like we might see it soon since they said it began their final stages of testing :D
    Yeah, I've heard it, just a minute ago.
    Link: https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/rumor-sony-to-be-hit-by-third-cyber-attack.html
    This time, they might release user's information.
    Anonymous still denies responsibility:
    https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/psn-hack-anonymous-once-again-denies-responsibility.html
    I still support Anonymous.
    Not sure if this still means anything.
    Link: https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/sony-responds-to-congress-over-psn-breach.html

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Explain to me exactly how installing homebrew software is piracy.

It's not, but to say that most people break PS3 keys for homebrew is laughable. R4 cards can also run homebrew. if I were a betting man though, I'd say that the vast majority use it for piracy.

This is ignoring that Geohotz didn't have the right to distribute PS3 security information, but that's beside the point.

Too bad the data theft insurance is only for people in the US, but it's still not going to make the lawsuit drop :(

The Playstation EU blog was updated recently.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/06/scee-identity-theft-protection-offering/

You get identity theft protection and you get two games for free for your PSP and/or PS3. America will probably have similar deals.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    Though I'm intrigued by the concept of HomeBrew applications, the hackers aren't entitled to hack anything. Sony perfectly has the right to restrict and permit whatever features they wish on their product, regardless of what the hacker community has to say about it. And the hackers have no right to retaliate in such a way that compromises the security of innocent individuals, no matter how butthurt they may be against Sony's anti-hacking stance.https://www.qj.net/ps3/news/sony-sheds-more-light-on-psn-credit-card-info-security.html
    No. Once you purchase something, you have every right to do anything you want with it as long as it does not hurt others. The law might say otherwise, but common sense and ethics say so, and I will fight for my right to use my property, even if my enemy is the law itself. Restricting homebrew software is a fascist control measure and should be dealt with like one.

I really doubt that attack was a retaliation. The ones who did it are unrelated to Geohot, and obviously did it to earn money. I am against identity theft. What I am saying is sony deserved an attack, not a user-threatening one. I am glad for sony's damages in this case.
    It's not, but to say that most people break PS3 keys for homebrew is laughable. R4 cards can also run homebrew. if I were a betting man though, I'd say that the vast majority use it for piracy.
    Sony removed OtherOS, an advertised feature. Geohot decided to re-enable something he had paid money for. I will bring up my ethics point again. The law may give Sony the right to take your stuff back without returning your money, but I will instantly support everybody who goes vigilante to claim it back. Geohot did not break PS3 keys to conduct piracy, and suing him for letting other people use his work for piracy is the same as banning knifes from the market because they can be used as murderous weapons.
    This is ignoring that Geohotz didn't have the right to distribute PS3 security information, but that's beside the point.
    Reminds me of Scientology. If people expose you, fair game instantly applies, right?

Back