• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questioning my Life Choices but Happy to be Here :)

Years
  • Good morning :)

(It's 12:30am here in New Zealand, and yes, that is the first life choice I'm questioning lol!)

I'm here because I've been quietly mulling over making a Pokemon fangame of my very own. For like, an entire year. And now it's apparently time to make that next step.

This is the other Life Choice I'm questioning right this minute. I don't know how to code, I can't art, and my track record for finishing projects is ... poor. Let's just say that, shall we?

(Other descriptors of said track record include "abysmal", "non-existent", and "HAHAHAHAaaa ha ha ... Barnacles".)

Anyway, I'm 23 and a uni student (another life choice questioned - did I think about how much stuffy old-fashioned literature I was going to have to read when I started this degree? No, I did not). I like cats more than dogs, meat more than veges, and staying up late more than getting up early.

I'm eager to meet you all and bug you for questions about RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials ;)

(First question - what? Second question - how? Third question - why?)

Anyway - let me know what time it is where you are lol! I want to know who else makes bad decisions with me :D

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's 11:10 PM here in Sydney at the moment, but hey nice to see someone from my biggest neighbouring country! So yeah, it's great to see you here Mel!

We're the same age as well, so something in common here. And if you are interested in fangames and Pokemon Essentials, the Game Development section has got all that covered for you so I definitely recommend looking over there if you haven't. The resident moderator, Maruno is also there should you ever need to ask him any questions.

But PC doesn't stop there, there's more to us than just hacking and fangames so do take time and explore some other topics around here as well. Best of luck with your project, and have an awesome time here!

Years
  • CATS are the best. yeahhhh. Good choice there. [; Welcome to the forum, MelTC!

Game-making's definitely a popular thing here so there will never be a shortage of tutorials and resources for you to utilize. I don't know anything about Essentials and the like since I don't dabble in this much but I wish you lots of luck learning. Stick around ~

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2016
    Hi I'm from NZ as well :D though its 3:34 p.m now.
    Hope all goes well with your game. We have a great ROM hacking section here. I'm sure you can find people who can help you out there.
    Welcome to PC and i hope to see you around

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Hello. It's nice to meet you. I'm from Japan and it's currently 4:16 pm over here. I like cats and dogs but sadly allergic to both. I don't eat meat and just only vegetables. Hope you enjoy your time here at PC. See you around.

Years
  • It's 11:10 PM here in Sydney at the moment, but hey nice to see someone from my biggest neighbouring country! So yeah, it's great to see you here Mel!

We're the same age as well, so something in common here. And if you are interested in fangames and Pokemon Essentials, the Game Development section has got all that covered for you so I definitely recommend looking over there if you haven't. The resident moderator, Maruno is also there should you ever need to ask him any questions.

Hey! A wild Aussie appears lol. Nice to see someone (especially someone my own age) from my own biggest neighbouring country as well :)

I've been poking around the GD forum a bit and alternating between 'yeah, I think I got this' and 'oh dear, this is a much bigger project than I suspected...' I'm sure it will all work out in the long run :)

CATS are the best. yeahhhh. Good choice there. [; Welcome to the forum, MelTC!

Game-making's definitely a popular thing here so there will never be a shortage of tutorials and resources for you to utilize. I don't know anything about Essentials and the like since I don't dabble in this much but I wish you lots of luck learning. Stick around ~

CATS!

Tutorials are my friend lol! Thank you and will do :)

Hi I'm from NZ as well :D though its 3:34 p.m now.
    Hope all goes well with your game. We have a great ROM hacking section here. I'm sure you can find people who can help you out there.
    Welcome to PC and i hope to see you around

Ooh, a sensible Kiwi :D

Hope to see you around as well!

I like cats and dogs but sadly allergic to both..

Oh no! Pet allergies suck. You'd think science would get on that, right?

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Oh no! Pet allergies suck. You'd think science would get on that, right?

Indeed it does suck. I'm allergic to other things as well. How's your time at PC so far?

Years
  • Indeed it does suck. I'm allergic to other things as well. How's your time at PC so far?

Really good! You guys seem like a great bunch of sociable people, the Game Dev sections are really informative, and I'm loving how active this place is as a whole. So glad I found my way here :)

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Really good! You guys seem like a great bunch of sociable people, the Game Dev sections are really informative, and I'm loving how active this place is as a whole. So glad I found my way here :)

Glad to hear it. =)

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 6, 2016
    Hi there Mel I'm Fiori. It's a pleasure to meet you. How's your time here at PC so far? If you ever want to chat with me about Pokémon or anything else feel free to leave a message on my profile. I usually respond back as soon as I see a notification. Well see you around and have a great day. ^ ^

Years
  • Hey Fiori :)

Excellent to meet you as well! I'm really enjoying my time here so far (when I can get it anyway, I've spent over 30 hours at work since Friday afternoon. Next time someone suggests that, remind me to say no lol!)

Thanks for the hi :)

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Aha, aw, just take things one at a time! Those sounds like really cool things to do; PC will help you out on creating your game, anytime you're in need of any assistance! BTW I have two cats and a bunny at home, but I kinda like dogs too. I mean, just gotta love em' all. :]

I hope you're enjoying your weekend, btw! Lemme know if you have any questions or concerns about PC, and I hope to get back to you as soon as I can! And welcome! Have a grand time, and love it if we get to chat again soon~~

PokeVec40

Pokémon Exile Developer
    Years
  • Hey, just thought I'd say I'm in a similar boat and already down the road of making a fangame. If you look up some of the documentation for Pokémon Essentials, it's very user friendly... or if you are going the ROM hack route, there are tons of resources like AdvanceMap that you can try out. Just keep trying, and you'll get the hang of it and be writing some scripts in no time!

Back