• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Hmm, I could use some advice!

I'd like to start working on my own RPGg ame. I'm already gathering notes and (shoddy) art and ironing out story points buttt... how to actually produce it is my issue. I'm not bound to Essentials, as this is non-pokemon and much much more RPG based, what would you recommend?

I currently have RPG XP, which is fine but clunky. I've tried newer versions of RPG maker and found them much more agreeable (although price DX) and there are plenty of EVEN MORE expensive tools on the market.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Was hoping somebody could help me out. Wasn't sure if this belonged in Design Questions, but since it relates to mapping I'm posting it here.

I've been trying to decide which style of top cliff-edges look best. I think the left, because it adds a sense of height, but I know a lot of games do the right, which makes it look a little flat IMO. Thoughts?

Mount_zpsliw7lavb.png

Years
  • Was hoping somebody could help me out. Wasn't sure if this belonged in Design Questions, but since it relates to mapping I'm posting it here.

I've been trying to decide which style of top cliff-edges look best. I think the left, because it adds a sense of height, but I know a lot of games do the right, which makes it look a little flat IMO. Thoughts?

Mount_zpsliw7lavb.png
    I tend to agree with you, the left one looks better. However, you might run into issues with the one on the left if you want the player to be able to go directly behind the mountain.

Diverscope

Pardon me
    Years
  • He could duplicate the tiles, making one version passable. But only from the left/right side, otherwise the Player would be able to walk at the top of the cliff.

I agree with Rot8er_ConeX, the left one looks better. It makes more sense fron the perspective and it looks more realistic.

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Thanks guys! The map I'm working on wouldn't allow the player to walk behind the highest point anyway, so it wouldn't matter in this instance. I'll go with the left, thanks again! :)

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Do people prefer the smaller doors (on the left) or larger doors (on the right)? Bottom images have the player character for reference.

Hoises_zpsdistluzx.png

MandL27

Proud Procrastinator
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2021
    Do people prefer the smaller doors (on the left) or larger doors (on the right)? Bottom images have the player character for reference.

Hoises_zpsdistluzx.png

Personally, I prefer the wider doors. Looks more like the protag could actually fit in them.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • Hi, I would like to ask which program should I use to make maps of towns and cities? Do I need an actual rom for that? Can I use photoshop? I see all the pretty work around here and I truly want to try too...

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • Hi, I would like to ask which program should I use to make maps of towns and cities? Do I need an actual rom for that? Can I use photoshop? I see all the pretty work around here and I truly want to try too...

Well, I know there's a program called Tiled that you can use to make maps, but I think that would work best if you're not trying to make a game with the maps. If you're looking to make a game... then I know that you can edit them in a ROM through some ROM hacking, or through RPG Maker if you choose the Essentials route.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
    Years
  • Custom Megas

Hey I came up with a few new megas for my fan games and wanted some feedback on them.

Mega Arbok
    Spoiler:

Mega Sandslash
    Spoiler:

Mega Farfetchd
    Spoiler:

Mega Hypno
    Spoiler:

Mega Weezing
    Spoiler:

Mega Jynx
    Spoiler:

Mega Girafarig
    Spoiler:

Mega Dunsparce
    Spoiler:

Mega Mightyena
    Spoiler:

Mega Torkal
    Spoiler:

Mega Arceus
    Spoiler:

That's all I have for now and about the height and weight on most of them being the same there not I just haven't fixed that part yet. Let me know what you think of them and if you think I should change them in anyway.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • Well, I know there's a program called Tiled that you can use to make maps, but I think that would work best if you're not trying to make a game with the maps. If you're looking to make a game... then I know that you can edit them in a ROM through some ROM hacking, or through RPG Maker if you choose the Essentials route.

I'm just trying to make the map, no game. So Tiled is the best route right?

Years
  • Mega Arceus
    Spoiler:

Made a minor alteration to your code for Arceus. Forms 1-17 or 18 are used up by the Plates. So Mega Arceus needs to not be one of those forms.

Also, not quite sure what changing the base HP stat mid-battle would do. If I understand correctly, Pokemon Insurgence - who did this for their Mega Eevee - had to do some serious coding to make it work properly.

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I asked about minor alterations to Pokémon designs before, but this is a little different.

I recently stumbled upon a Tumblr blog titled "The New 151", which is a project that essentially redesigns the Gen 1 Pokémon as if they were designed today, given Pokémon have become somewhat more complex over the years. They've also made some pretty major changes - for example, Butterfree now looks wildly different, so as to better match Caterpie & Metapod.
    Spoiler:

Here's a link.

Anyway, to get to the point - how would everyone feel about designs like these being utilised in a fan game? Would you generally avoid redesigning already existing Pokémon, or be willing to give it a look?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • how would everyone feel about designs like these being utilised in a fan game? Would you generally avoid redesigning already existing Pokémon, or be willing to give it a look?
    I think that'd be awesome, actually! If that's something you're thinking about doing then I'd certainly like to see it :) Having looked at the blog post, some of those are pretty interesting, so I'd say go for it!

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
    Years
  • Made a minor alteration to your code for Arceus. Forms 1-17 or 18 are used up by the Plates. So Mega Arceus needs to not be one of those forms.

Also, not quite sure what changing the base HP stat mid-battle would do. If I understand correctly, Pokemon Insurgence - who did this for their Mega Eevee - had to do some serious coding to make it work properly.

His set up is only a base I can't think of a good ability to give him just yet also it should be set to form 19 unless my computer messed up the codding when i copied it from the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    Hey guys. I'm attempting to make all the tiles of my game, so I'm making them little by little in between other development processes. I just wanted to get feedback on the bases of the trees and which looks the best (grass, complete grass, and no grass). Also, any critique on the trees would be nice since they're my first trees, lol.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Hey guys. I'm attempting to make all the tiles of my game, so I'm making them little by little in between other development processes. I just wanted to get feedback on the bases of the trees and which looks the best (grass, complete grass, and no grass). Also, any critique on the trees would be nice since they're my first trees, lol.
    Spoiler:

The trees look nice and I think it would be maybe a little better if they were more like round on the top instead of pointy.

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen May 10, 2022
    So I'm working on creating a game in the Unity engine, but I'm using a lot of sprites and whatnot from Essentials. It's being made for the WebGL platform, so it'll be a browser game.

Originally, we where hellbent on menu navigation being keyboard-based in order to retain a "retro Pokemon game" feel, but anyone who's worked in Unity knows that keyboard-controlled menus are way harder than mouse-controlled menus.

So my question is, do you (personally) prefer retro-style menus or do you like the ease of a mouse? And secondly, what do you think the overall community preference is considering most fan games are either ROM hacks or Essentials-based (which both use retro-style).

Thanks,
    G

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back