• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    What are the usual or normal city and town sizes? And what tilesets look modern? Something different from the originals. Something like Pokemon Heiwa's.

For the tilesets, the classic BW and HGSS are good choices. Most of the time a fangame uses very specific tilesets they are created by the creator from the game and are most of the time not avaible to public.

I don't know many modern tilesets but you can check deviantart for tons of tilesets and most of them are public.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
    Years
  • I'm still in the planning/design stage of creating a Gen VI-style fan game on RMXP. One difference that I've decided to add to my homebrew region (Thule) is that each Gym will have two specialties -- contrasting types that work well together. Here are the five combinations I've worked out so far:

• A Grass and Bug-type Gym in a town with a botanical garden (this will probably be the first).
    • A Water and Electric-type Gym in a town with a hydro power plant (probably the 7th or 8th; being able to use Waterfall outside of battle should link to this badge).
    • A Steel and Fire-type Gym in an industrial city with a foundry (probably 4th in line).
    • A Psychic and Ghost-type Gym in a small town near an ancient burial site (probably 5th).
    • A Dragon and Fairy-type Gym in a small town with storybook-style architecture and a children's theater (probably 6th).

Has anyone got combo and/or setting suggestions for the other three Thule Gyms? (The region will be based on Scandinavia, if that helps.) Post your ideas here!

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2019
    I'm still in the planning/design stage of creating a Gen VI-style fan game on RMXP. One difference that I've decided to add to my homebrew region (Thule) is that each Gym will have two specialties -- contrasting types that work well together. Here are the five combinations I've worked out so far:

• A Grass and Bug-type Gym in a town with a botanical garden (this will probably be the first).
    • A Water and Electric-type Gym in a town with a hydro power plant (probably the 7th or 8th; being able to use Waterfall outside of battle should link to this badge).
    • A Steel and Fire-type Gym in an industrial city with a foundry (probably 4th in line).
    • A Psychic and Ghost-type Gym in a small town near an ancient burial site (probably 5th).
    • A Dragon and Fairy-type Gym in a small town with storybook-style architecture and a children's theater (probably 6th).

Has anyone got combo and/or setting suggestions for the other three Thule Gyms? (The region will be based on Scandinavia, if that helps.) Post your ideas here!

I love that concept! I had a similar idea awhile ago, except instead of one gym with 2 specialties, each town had two gyms, and you can choose to beat one. If you earn one's badge, you don't need to beat the other, though you can if you want, you just don't get a badge for it.

For dual gym ideas: Fighting and Rock in a mountain. Or Ice and Rock in a snowy mountain. A Ground and Flying gym, perhaps it takes place in a desert with canyons. Poison and Dark for a nasty gym.

As for mine...

I want to make a Fakemon-based game. While I enjoy making the mons themselves and figuring out their environments, and making up the gyms, I'm having some trouble with the evil team. In the regular games, I find fighting the evil team in real games to be boring and tedious, because they always use the same 3-5 Pokemon, and the characters are just really hokey.

An idea someone suggested was to make a luddite cult who don't believe in evolution. Not that they don't think Pokemon can evolve, they think that Pokemon shouldn't evolve. They use varied unevolved Pokemon, perhaps the higher ranked grunts have their Pokemon hold eviolites, and later one they primarily train Pokemon who don't evolve at all. I know this means I need to make sure I have enough non-evolving Pokemon in my fakedex, which isn't the problem.

So I guess their motivation is trying to convince trainers not to evolve their Pokemon (similar to how Plasma preached to trainers to release their Pokemon. They also want to capture legendary Pokemon, not to rule the world or anything, but because they think the legendary is the most pure of all, since it's quite powerful without the need for evolution. Perhaps they see it as a god, even though legendaries aren't.

Is this any good? I think I read on the wiki that there's a global switch to disable evolutions, and perhaps this evil team can do that for a brief time. They're evil, not because they want to rule/destroy the world, but with how overzealous and forceful they are with their beliefs. Perhaps after the big plot climax, they learn that legendaries are no more special than regularly trained Pokemon who bonded with their trained or something cheesy like that.

Last edited:

sharzin

the biggest iranian pokemon fan
    Years
  • i need a name for this fella
    picture.php

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
  • I have a couple of new types... I was wondering if there was a way I could perhaps receive a couple of ideas to balance these.
    Light
    Spoiler:

Space
    Spoiler:

Aside from type balancing, are there any other retypes that could work? Light needs it a lot more than Space probably does, although there aren't too many Pokemon that can definitely stand out as fitting in that category.

Last edited:

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
    Years
  • Hey there, wanted to ask a quick question here...

What do you recommend for types for the starters in my game? I'm tending to go with the typical (you get it? type - typical? ok I'll stop it) grass-fire-water matchup but that gets old quite quickly, especially if you don't have any fakemon to make up for it.

So are there any suggestions for types that are relatively balanced and you would like to see in a fangame?

Years
  • Hey there, wanted to ask a quick question here...

What do you recommend for types for the starters in my game? I'm tending to go with the typical (you get it? type - typical? ok I'll stop it) grass-fire-water matchup but that gets old quite quickly, especially if you don't have any fakemon to make up for it.

So are there any suggestions for types that are relatively balanced and you would like to see in a fangame?

Psychic/Fighting/Dark is a good trio
    Electric/Ground/Flying is another.

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
    Years
  • Psychic/Fighting/Dark is a good trio
    Electric/Ground/Flying is another.

Psychic/Fighting/Dark sounded good to me, went on to search some Pokémon and didn't get too good results. Best I could come up with was Alakazam/Machamp/Krookodile, but this would basically eliminate Mega Alakazam from the game due to it being the only starter with a mega evo.

Then I went on and searched for some Electric/Flying/Ground 'mon. I came up with Eelektross/Unfezant/Seismitoad. I thought this fitted pretty well as they were all from Unova, and while Pidove was easier to raise it had a lower BST. Tympole would be slightly harder to raise, but would have a significant BST increase (488 -> 509). Then Tynamo would be even harder, but would slightly increase BST again. However, came to mind that Tympole itself is not part Ground-type, although its evo's are. Also, Tynamo would need a Thunder Stone to reach its final form. These things are of course very easy to change though.

So personally I would go with Tynamo, Pidove and Tympole. They seem fairly balanced in my opinion, with Tympole also having an interesting second typing. Do you think this is a good choice of starters?

EDIT: Just realized this would also require a huge change of Eelektross' movepool.

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
    Years
  • So are there any suggestions for types that are relatively balanced and you would like to see in a fangame?

I'll suggest these matchups, with possible starter mons based on base stat total:

• Flying/Fighting/Ice (Zubat/Chespin/Vanillite)
    ○ Chespin does get the short end of the stick, but maybe it's the hard mode option until the player gets a decent Fighting TM. (Maybe data could be modified to give the Chespin line Karate Chop or something?)

• Fairy/Fighting/Steel (Togepi/Chespin/Magnemite)
    ○ Magnemite may be a bit strong, especially since Togekiss is Fairy/Flying, but there aren't many other options. As above, the Chespin line might need to be tweaked to give it some moves by level-up that ensure it's a good Fighting-type contender.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • but this would basically eliminate Mega Alakazam from the game due to it being the only starter with a mega evo.
    That only matters if you're using Mega Evolution in your game, and only if you choose to use all available Mega Evolution forms.

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    I have a question:
    I want to play a (pokemon) game with character creation like in XY.
    Are there any projects in development that support changing skin colors, hair styles, shirts, and pants? I would like skin characters.

If there aren't would it be wise to DL unity and attempt to build a pokemon game from the ground up just to further the immersion.

(I also want to create a card game which is why I'm tempted to DL unity, and build from the ground up.)

Years
  • Essentials already has code in place allowing you to customize the player. Each customization is an "outfit". The sprite sheets for each outfit are then named "trainer01_(outfit number).png"

How you set this up within Essentials, however, is your own choice.

Years
  • I recently figured out how to add in the "more than 255 abilities" code into my game without doing a complete update, so I've been coding in obvious variations of abilities that exist, now that I have no (reasonable) limit on the number of abilities that can be in my game (there's no way anyone is going to make a game with 65,535 abilities). Most of them are able to be applied to Delta Pokemon - for example, Sticky Freeze, something that may freeze on contact, is good for an Ice type Delta version of a Pokemon that normally has Flame Body.

But one of them that I coded don't have homes yet, and I was hoping to obtain suggestions. Likely, these would be the second HAs for the Pokemon suggested.

Tanooki Tail - when the Pokemon is frozen, they are immune to damage from moves. They can still be hit with status moves, or damaged by the weather.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2016
    I'm currently working on my own fangame where the people are living in clans.
    There will probably be eight clan and each will have their own type.

As for the clan names I thought of something simple that still indicates what type of Pokemon the clan uses.

Most of the ones I thought of are basically just copied from a book but I think they would fit:
    Spoiler:

If you have any suggestions for clan names please let me know,
    I would really appreciate :)

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I'm currently working on my own fangame where the people are living in clans.
    There will probably be eight clan and each will have their own type.

As for the clan names I thought of something simple that still indicates what type of Pokemon the clan uses.

Most of the ones I thought of are basically just copied from a book but I think they would fit:
    Spoiler:

If you have any suggestions for clan names please let me know,
    I would really appreciate :)
    Dream Clan - fairy
    Muscle clan - fighting
    Metal clan - steel
    Forest clan - grass
    Mountain clan - rock
    Desert clan - ground
    Hive clan - bug
    Tundra clan - ice

Hopeful there are some names there you like!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back