• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    You guys are awesome!

I have looked everywhere on the internet for this extremely simple answer and can't find it:

1) Are multiple uses of a status move useful? Ex: Using Growl twice (will this take the enemy to stage 2?)
    2) Is layering different status moves with the same modifier useful? Ex: Using Intimidate then Growl (will this take the enemy to stage 2?)

Mingo

Event hunter!
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2013
    Dusknoir or Drifblim? And why?

i would go with dusknoir it has less types that are super effective against it and its def and sp def are amazing and att is pretty good aswell, it can also learn lots of good tms aswell, the only downfall of it is the HP and the speed of it :S

Years
    You guys are awesome!

I have looked everywhere on the internet for this extremely simple answer and can't find it:

1) Are multiple uses of a status move useful? Ex: Using Growl twice (will this take the enemy to stage 2?)
    2) Is layering different status moves with the same modifier useful? Ex: Using Intimidate then Growl (will this take the enemy to stage 2?)

Usually, using status moves that lower the opponent's stats are not recommended since they can just switch out to nullify the effects (sometimes, this can be useful in forcing a switch though). However, using status moves that boost up your own stats as much as possible is recommended as long as you can pull it off smartly. i.e. If you're in a situation where you can use raise your stats more than once, then go for it.
    Dusknoir or Drifblim? And why?

Dusknoir. Why? It's OU and Drifblim isn't. More technical reason why? It has sturdier defenses and a somewhat reliable way to restore its own health while Drifblim has low defenses and no reliable way to heal itself. Dusknoir does its job as a Tank/Anti-spinner quite nicely. Several other Pokemon can do the jobs Drifblim does much better.

Years
    ...It can't. >_< Well, that's what I get for trying to take the easy way out. OK, here's how you do it. First teach a Male Smeargle Light Screen and Hypnosis and breed it with a Psyduck/Golduck. The result should be a Psyduck that know both moves. Then, breed that Psyduck with Feebas/Milotic and then the Feebas will know both moves.

jolteon.

asdfasdfasdf
    Years
    ffffff. after sitting here for 2 hours searching google how to do it, it happens to be the way I thought it would work out the first time. xD
    Thanks. :)

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    if i used berrys like kelpsy, would i be able to lower a pokemon's atk EVs from 252 to 0, or is there a limit like with vitamins?

jolteon.

asdfasdfasdf
    Years
    if i used berrys like kelpsy, would i be able to lower a pokemon's atk EVs from 252 to 0, or is there a limit like with vitamins?
    The first one brings your EVs down to 100, then it goes by 10s afterwards until you hit 0.

There's no limit, either.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    1) What are some tips on Breeding?

-- a) Does it really matter if you breed with good IV parents?

Parents pass down 2-3 IVs, so yes, it's important to have parents with decent IVs in the stats you desire. For example, get a Timid Ditto with 28-31 IVs in Speed and it has a good chance passing this speed to many Pokemon.

-- b) How hard is it to get a 31 stat across the board?
    Statistically (wild pokemon):
    1 chance in 32 to get a an IV of 31 in one stat
    1 in 1,024 to get a max IV in two stats
    1 chance in 1,073,741,824 to get max IVs in all 6 stats

-- c) How hard is it to get a 20-29 stat across the board?
    Definitely easier. XD

-- d) How long does it take to get a Pokémon with 31 across the board?
    Like I've said, I've been breeding for years, and I have a couple pokemon with 5 stats maxed. I don't have any with 6 stats maxed. Therefore, it's VERY VERY VERY difficult, so if you see a shiny with absurdly good stats, it's most likely hacked. I believe it's been done before, but only on Smogon, the true IV breeders.

-- e) How can you make one Pokémon have 31 stats when the IVs are split into different parts on different parents?
    Luck of the draw. The baby may get the 31, the other parent's crappy stat, or something random. D:

-- f) Is one of the parents' IV more of an influence (if IV does influence the offspring)?
    Mommy: Everstone to pass nature
    Daddy: Egg moves

Other than that, parents don't have power over another, IVs wise. The order they're dumped in the Daycare influences the RNG. Other than that, you really have no clue.

-- g) How should I be breeding? Focus on one stat and get it really high and then move on to the next one? Or all at once?
    Well, the first step is focus on nature and moves, and then IVs. Umbreon likes Careful/Sassy and Wish. Look here for more info.

Focus on your 2/3 desired stats until you get 25+. You don't need all stats maxed (like Sp Atk).

The male Eevee I'm breeding with is: 27 / 21 / 30 / 31 / 23 / 25

The females I have are:

Foxy: 5 / 13 / 29 / 31 / 12 / 0
    Nature: Naïve
    Char: Mischievous

Iliah: 30 / 13 / 0 / 31 / 10 / 25
    Nature: Bashful

Eliza: 5 / 10 / 2 / 29 / 21 / 21
    Nature: Quirky
    Char: Very Finicky

Layla: 13 / 13 / 20 / 15 / 12 / 0
    Nature: Lonely
    Char: Sturdy Body

Malika: 13 / 21 / 30 / 8 / 23 / 28
    Nature: Hasty
    Char: Sturdy Body

Valerie: 13 / 24 / 31 / 24 / 12 / 0
    Nature: Hardy
    Char: Capable of Taking Hits

As you can see, they specialize in different spots, but they both suck in ATK :\ I'm looking to get something like:

25+ / 31 / 31 / 20+ / 31 / 25+

on an Umbreon. I obviously need a new female lol but of the two, which one should I be looking at breeding with my male? Which one has the most potential to breed Pokémon better than Lenny (male)?

The closest I've gotten to Lenny so far is:

Geoff: 22 / 26 / 20 / 31 / 23 / 15 - 16
    Nature: Brave

I bred him with Malika I think; the SPD is really low, though.

Anyone, so does anyone have any tips overall for me :< Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lenny is good with high HP and Defense. I like Iliah to keep the high HP, but a 0 in Defense is a letdown. Malika is good for Defense and an average Attack.. Hmm, I'm not good with suggesting who to breed with who, as I just shuffle babies with babies and chaos and yeah.

You need a Careful/Sassy female mommy first.. IVs are last on the list, as they only boost up to 31 points at level 100. EV training boosts up to 63, while natures boost 10% overall. Good luck. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    Usually, using status moves that lower the opponent's stats are not recommended since they can just switch out to nullify the effects (sometimes, this can be useful in forcing a switch though).

I'm just battling wild pokemon right now. Would multiple status attacks help against them? The sites I read say that Growl is a "stage 1 status attack" which makes it sound like it can only lower the enemy's attack one time and it will always lower it to 2/3.

Another example is like I'll see that a wild geodude will use defense curl over and over again. If it's a stage 1 status move, then he is raising his defense to 150%. But does it keep raising it by 50% every time he uses it? That would be insane if it were true because it would mean that using a stage 6 status buff 4 times on a 100 defense creature puts it up to 25,6000 defense. So this is kinda confusing to me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    As for the calculation of the stages:
    -6 levels: 25%
    -5 levels: 29%
    -4 levels: 33%
    -3 levels: 40%
    -2 levels: 50%
    -1 level: 66%
    0 levels: 100%
    1 level: 150%
    2 levels: 200%
    3 levels: 250%
    4 levels: 300%
    5 levels: 350%
    6 levels: 400%

If you had read my post you would know that this is the information I already have. What I am trying to figure out is what happens when you do two level 1 attacks in a row (or 2 level 1 defenses). Do they stack? If I do 2 Growls will the enemy then be at -2 levels? Or if I do 1 Intimidate and 1 Growl will the enemy be at -2 levels? Do you understand what I'm asking, does it make sense?

Thanks for trying to help

Back