• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    Okay thanks! I am familiar with alot of the old tm's, but there was a big lapse of time and now im a bit behind the curve on the newer ones. Ive been watching youtube videos to further familiriaze my self with the new stuff.

One question I have is about the whole IV/EV thing. What do they stand, and refer 2? I know its something to do with a pokemon's stats correct? Like the initial stats, and the stats added from carbos, protien, iron, etc.

I'll try to answer most of my own questions through research on psypokes, but expect alot more simplistic questions being posted here:D

Years
    If i import a US version of Platinum to the UK, will the UK events still work, like the Wifi ones and stuff? I know Platinum is out in the UK in like...5 days but if i import i could save some money.

Sorry to repeat question lol, but i need answers :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    If i import a US version of Platinum to the UK, will the UK events still work, like the Wifi ones and stuff? I know Platinum is out in the UK in like...5 days but if i import i could save some money.

Sorry to repeat question lol, but i need answers :)

Local UK events would not work with an imported NTSC-US version of the game, no. European Wi-Fi events are unlikely to work, either, although you would be able to access North American Wi-Fi events instead.

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2009
    GTS Doesn't Work?

I've been trying to go in the GTS for quite some time now, each time failing.

The Wi-Fi information on my DSi is correct, because I can connect to the internet. When I go in the GTS and try to connect, it says that no access point is within range.

I've tried this on both my Diamond and Pearl games, to no avail.

Does anyone know what's wrong/is this happening to anyone else?

Years
    Can you access any other wi-fi related activities such as the wi-fi room or Battle Tower wi-fi? Maybe try configuring your wi-fi settings from D/P's Title screen?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Okay I'ma make a dragon dance, Ice Punch, Waterfall and Earthquake Feraligatyr. I have it for Attack IV's. A.K.A: Adamant Natured Male "Likes to Thrash About". lvl. 1 UT. I need to know how to EV train with these stats or/ What I should kill for this 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe I have Power Items but I am not going to use them because I worked hard to IV breed this one and I want every EV point to count. I will use Vitamins and I do have Pokerus. So any ideas on how many vitamins I should use for the stats and how many /which pokemons I should kill. And show me the equal up to please :D. Thanks!

I already answered this question for you on the last page:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4641802&postcount=1376

Years
    UT stands for UnTouched. It basically describes a Pokemon that hasn't gained any experience and such at all.
    EVs stand for effort values. They help to boost your stats and are gained in increments of 1, 2, or 3 in one or two of the six stats of HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and speed every time experience is gained in battle. You can have a max of 255 in a single stat and 510 total. For additional details, refer to this post: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=3351965&postcount=2
    IVs stand for Individual Values. They work in a way similar to EVs in that they are values that boost your stats. Unlike EVs though, they are determined at the moment the Pokemon is obtained/encountered and CANNOT BE CHANGED. They range on a scale of 0-31 in each of the six stats. The higher the IV in a stat, the higher that stat will be at lv. 100.

Does this help?

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2009
    No I can't, and I have done that. It only doesn't work for my pokemon games, on both my DSi and DS Lite.

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2009
    UT stands for UnTouched. It basically describes a Pokemon that hasn't gained any experience and such at all.
    EVs stand for effort values. They help to boost your stats and are gained in increments of 1, 2, or 3 in one or two of the six stats of HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and speed every time experience is gained in battle. You can have a max of 255 in a single stat and 510 total. For additional details, refer to this post:
    IVs stand for Individual Values. They work in a way similar to EVs in that they are values that boost your stats. Unlike EVs though, they are determined at the moment the Pokemon is obtained/encountered and CANNOT BE CHANGED. They range on a scale of 0-31 in each of the six stats. The higher the IV in a stat, the higher that stat will be at lv. 100.

Does this help?

Yes it does! Thanks a lot!

Years
    On Route 212, the one with the Pokemon Mansion and the Trophy Garden, there are two trainers, a gentleman and a socialite. They have a Chatot and a Roselia respectively. If you beat them enough times in VS. Seeker, they should be lv. 60. Still they're easy to beat and in give
    12000 for each battle. With Amulet Coin, that makes
    24000 a battle.

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    ..I'm knew to the whole ev training thing.. so I've got a Squirtle and I use Protein on it, and it says "It wont have any effect" but when I put it on my Milotic, it works fine.. can anybody please tell me the problem? :(

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    ..I'm knew to the whole ev training thing.. so I've got a Squirtle and I use Protein on it, and it says "It wont have any effect" but when I put it on my Milotic, it works fine.. can anybody please tell me the problem? :(

Like previous games I believe it has to do with maxing out the use of the specific protein item, on one pokemon.

However there is ev training, where you can fight a particular pokemon, and only get "trained" on one stat.

Though I'm not sure how that works, or who to train on, as I have never ev trained before. But the guides for it are quiet detailed, as there are several different ways to ev training, depending on your play style, your pokemon moves, and types.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ..I'm knew to the whole ev training thing.. so I've got a Squirtle and I use Protein on it, and it says "It wont have any effect" but when I put it on my Milotic, it works fine.. can anybody please tell me the problem?
    The medicie items, like Protein, only work if you have gained less than 100 EVs for that stat, or havn't maxed out your EVs. That means that you Squirtle either alsoready has at least 100 EVs in attack, or has been fully EV-trained already (which'd be odd for a Squirtle though, but meh). Milotic must have less, hence it being able to consume the drugs Protein.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2009
    hey guys just got my ds today, as well as also stumbling across this site.

a few questions:
    -I've ordered a R4DS Flashcart, so if i put pokemon D/Pe/Pl, so will the in-game clock work whilst my ds is off? or will i have to actually go and buy myself a copy?
    -I live in Australia, so will i be able to trade and battle and whatnot from people around the would, or just in my region/country?

Thanks in advance :)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    hey guys just got my ds today, as well as also stumbling across this site.

a few questions:
    -I've ordered a R4DS Flashcart, so if i put pokemon D/Pe/Pl, so will the in-game clock work whilst my ds is off? or will i have to actually go and buy myself a copy?
    -I live in Australia, so will i be able to trade and battle and whatnot from people around the would, or just in my region/country?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about in the first question, is it that you plan on having the Pokemon game on the R4DS storage device? But I think I can answer nonetheless, the in game clock, is an internal thing, that is to say, having to do with the DS hardware itself, so either it may update the R4DS when turned on, or there is something internally further involved.

For the 2nd one, you will indeed be able to battle and trade against others around the world. One way to do so, is obtaining and giving out your friend code (obtained in game). This allows you to not only trade live with others, but also battle. Otherwise, you can also trade via the DS, on the internet, with others, but less would be known about the trade (stats etc). When battling someone, there is two ways, the live way (via Friend code), or download way, where you will face a copy of an actual opponent from somewhere else in the world, but it would be played by the computer after the download is complete.

Also depending on your Internet plan, I'm not sure how much mb usage (bandwith) being connected with Pokemon takes. As I know that Aussie internet is capped per month (I was there XD). But I don't imagine it being much. Though I've noticed it go quite slow when I've had a few internet browsers open and the IRC (chat) going.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2009
    I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about in the first question, is it that you plan on having the Pokemon game on the R4DS storage device? But I think I can answer nonetheless, the in game clock, is an internal thing, that is to say, having to do with the DS hardware itself, so either it may update the R4DS when turned on, or there is something internally further involved.

For the 2nd one, you will indeed be able to battle and trade against others around the world. One way to do so, is obtaining and giving out your friend code (obtained in game). This allows you to not only trade live with others, but also battle. Otherwise, you can also trade via the DS, on the internet, with others, but less would be known about the trade (stats etc). When battling someone, there is two ways, the live way (via Friend code), or download way, where you will face a copy of an actual opponent from somewhere else in the world, but it would be played by the computer after the download is complete.

Also depending on your Internet plan, I'm not sure how much mb usage (bandwith) being connected with Pokemon takes. As I know that Aussie internet is capped per month (I was there XD). But I don't imagine it being much. Though I've noticed it go quite slow when I've had a few internet browsers open and the IRC (chat) going.

ok thanks that's very re-assuring.

hopefully my bandwidth isn't a problem, i play TF2 and CoD4 online all the time.

Guess ill see you online then ;)

Back