• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

jaipr

PkMn Breeder
Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    Evolving Togepi - Urgent!

Hi all,

I know I have made a thread or two in the Trade Center remotely relating to this, but...

I have been trying to get my Togepi's Happiness up to the max (to evolve into Togetic for my chain breeding) for hours. Any tips? Ive tried:

Massages
    Contests
    Lemonade / Moomoo Milk
    Vitamins (Carbos, Zinc, Protein, etc)
    Stat reducing berries
    Leveling up
    Walking with a Soothe Bell

If you have a Togetic, could I please have it? I could trade you an Infernape or maybe (a big maybe) an Eevee?

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
  • Hi all,

I know I have made a thread or two in the Trade Center remotely relating to this, but...

I have been trying to get my Togepi's Happiness up to the max (to evolve into Togetic for my chain breeding) for hours. Any tips? Ive tried:

Massages
    Contests
    Lemonade / Moomoo Milk
    Vitamins (Carbos, Zinc, Protein, etc)
    Stat reducing berries
    Leveling up
    Walking with a Soothe Bell

If you have a Togetic, could I please have it? I could trade you an Infernape or maybe (a big maybe) an Eevee?

Well first of all, entering contests and giving it milk and lemonade doesn't actually effect its happiness. What does are:

- Walking 256 steps
    - Levelling Up
    - Taking part in important battles such as gyms
    - Massages
    - Happy Berries
    - Giving it Vitamins

It goes down if:

- You give it any herbal items
    - Trade it
    - Let it faint

Togepi starts at happiness value 70 and will evolve once it reaches 220 and levels up. If it holds a Soothe Bell the points it gets get a 50% boost. The amount of points it gets each time you fulfil a requirment depends on how many points it has:

- Walk 256 steps (+1 for all happiness values)
    - Give the Pokemon Vitamins (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254)
    - Usage in Important Battle (+3 0-99, +2 100-199, +1 200-254)
    - Level Up the Pokemon (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254 per level)
    - Massage (+2 for all happiness values)
    - Berries (+2 for all happiness values)

You will need to count these as you go along. Also if you get the happiness meter from the girl in the Eterna Pokecenter then you can check it; if Togepi has two hearts that grow big then it is ready/nearly ready to evolve.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • With the soothe bell, just go to a long route and ride your bike untill you've reached 15,000-25,000 steps (and maybe a little leveling). You should have enough happiness to get him to evolve by then.

jaipr

PkMn Breeder
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2015
    Thanks all, really good tips, just mentioning that if you go to the Fuego Ironworks there is a tile that you can step on, clamp your D-Pad down, and you will walk 13 steps up and down. Leave your DS on charge, and voila!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Some trainers are set while others upgrade after a combination of completed events and successive battles. You'll just have to learn who's who. D:

I suggest you use this or this to find rematch trainers. ^_^

The levels usually hit level 60 once you complete the Stark Mountain side quest (battle Heatran). If you don't do this, some don't top level 40.

Druid

she's not anyone...
    Years
  • Well, hacked pokemon aren't what people are looking for. A hacked pokemon wasn't obtained by a proper method. For example, if I had an Action Replay and put in a code of a level 100 shiny mew with maxed out stats, that would be hacked. Even if you did something reasonable, like a level 3 bidoof because you couln't find one, (just an example) it would still be hacked and therefore worth very little. Also, if you trade somebody a hacked pokemon or item that they thought was legit, you will have a horrible reputation, so nobody will trade with you. Nobody likes a liar, especially a cheating liar.

A legit pokemon is the exact opposite. The reason people want something that was obtained in-game without any cheating device is because, if you get to the very source of the problem, hacking devalues the pokemon. It's like monety, if somebody pumped 900 000 000 dollars into the economy, the value of money would go down, because everybody would have more. If somebody can just put a code into a game and out comes a deoxys or a celebi, how is that deoxys or celebi worth anything more than a starly?

So yeah, that's the completely over-written response.

Arceus10000

Radical Battical
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    Oh ok thanks
    I was jw cuz i dont want to get hacked pokemon given to me
    So theres no way of telling them apart cuz i got one off a website and i want to know if it was worth a level 100 salamance

Druid

she's not anyone...
    Years
  • Oh, there are ways to tell them apart, but it's not always easy.

First off, what pokemon was it? If it was an event pokemon, check the OT. (it's in the summary) It should say a specific thing, just put those two things on here.

I don't know all the ways to tell them apart. I think I read somewhere about a group called Pokemon Secure who checks if pokemon are legit. They would definitely know better than me.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Oh ok thanks
    I was jw cuz i dont want to get hacked pokemon given to me
    So theres no way of telling them apart cuz i got one off a website and i want to know if it was worth a level 100 salamance

There are many ways to tell hacked Pokemon apart from the legit ones; you just have to look at its information very closely and analyze every point including stats, location, moves, OT, ID, and other things. Then you need to take that information and cross-reference with the data available about that species of Pokemon. ID and OT is mainly for event Pokemon which have a set ID and OT. Sometimes the hacker may incorrectly edit these fields, i.e. a typo or unmatched formatting.

After that, it's also good to look into the source of the Pokemon; if a Pokemon's IV spread doesn't match its nature, then you know it's hacked; if the hidden values are awkward, then it is hacked, etc.

Some ways to determine hacked / legit:

-- Cherish Balls: Cherish Balls are reserved for event Pokemon ONLY. If a Pokemon which is NOT an event Pokemon has it, then it is hacked. Likewise, if an event Pokemon (which isn't caught in-game) does not have one when it is supposed to (some event Pokemon do not come with a Cherish Ball; you need to check a list to see what they have), then it is also hacked.
    -- Safari / Park Balls: Safari Balls / Park Balls or whatever they are called can only be used on certain Pokemon and some Pokemon can ONLY be captured by these. For example, in Pokemon Platinum, Tropius can only be found in the Great Marsh (though, a Tropius may also have any Ball from R/S/E on it since it was captured in the wild in those games). If a Tropius was captured in the Great Marsh with a Master Ball, it means the person 1) hacked the Pokemon or 2) hacked their game to enter the Great Marsh without playing the Safari game.
    -- OT / ID: Certain Pokemon have set OT and IDs; check these to verify if the Pokemon is legit. In addition, if the ID is something like 00000, then it's possible a hacker forgot to reset the ID field.
    -- Pokemon Name: Some hacking implements leave erroneous spaces after a Pokemon's name.
    -- EVs / IVs: A Pokemon may only have 255 EVs in a single stat and 510 EVs total; any number greater than these values signals that the Pokemon has been hacked. IVs may only go up to 31. Each set of IVs is linked to a hidden string of data which is also linked to the Pokemon's nature. You can only access these values (EVs, IVs, etc.) through a hacking implement.
    -- Stats: Pokemon have different base stats and minimum / maximum stats according to their species. In addition, every 4 EVs will contribute 1 point to the stat it is allotted in. If any of the stat values does not match up with what it is supposed to be, based on the Pokemon's base stat, nature, IV, and EV, then it is hacked.
    -- Hidden Values: I yet to figure this one out. They are two-character long strings that you can only see in a hacking implement.
    -- Location / Origin: If a Pokemon was obtained in an area it cannot normally be found at, or outside the level constraints of that area, then the Pokemon was hacked. This is often one of the most common ways to figure out if a Pokemon is hacked.
    -- Moveset: If a Pokemon has moves it can't learn, then it is hacked.
    -- EXP: Different Pokemon have different growth rates. If a Pokemon has less EXP than it should to reach a certain level, then it is hacked.
    -- Steps to Hatch: Different Pokemon require a different amount of steps to hatch. If the value is higher than the maximum, then it is hacked. Since the # decreases as you move, there's no way to tell if the Pokemon is hacked after it drops below the maximum... Although, presumably, since you get the egg from an NPC in-game, most traded eggs will never have their max required steps. There are about 20 steps between the NPC and the nearest PC and then you have to withdraw the egg and take it to the trade area, which can be a couple more steps.

There are more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head atm.

Last edited:

Dark Nero

Feel The Darkness
    Years
  • Quick question.
    I was wondering if someone got a Legendery using an AR,
    then traded the legendery to someone would it bobo up the NDS ROM?

Like if i traded off my friend his AR cheeted Legendary would it bobo (screw up) my NDS ROM?

and sort of other question (that l kind of answer myself)

would using AR's on Pokémon games screw it up?
    Like i remember l used an AR on my Pokemon Leaf Green and for some resion l could not
    1 Battle Elte Four as Loreal had wondered off and
    2 I could no longer trade pokemon to Ruby Saphire anymore therefore making me restart and l soon sold the AR because never wanted to do it again

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    are lucky eggs really all that rare?

i heard lucky eggs are extremely rare...but i went and chained chansey a few times today and i've got 9 eggs so far

although finding another chansey to start another chain seems to be very annoying (can't seem to find 1 to try and get my 10th egg)

Pekachoo

LOLCATS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    are lucky eggs really all that rare?

i heard lucky eggs are extremely rare...but i went and chained chansey a few times today and i've got 9 eggs so far

although finding another chansey to start another chain seems to be very annoying (can't seem to find 1 to try and get my 10th egg)

lol well you WERE chaining the chansey therefore making them appear a way lot more.
    the hard part is finding the chansey if they are not swarmed

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Quick question.
    I was wondering if someone got a Legendery using an AR,
    then traded the legendery to someone would it bobo up the NDS ROM?

Like if i traded off my friend his AR cheeted Legendary would it bobo (screw up) my NDS ROM?

and sort of other question (that l kind of answer myself)

would using AR's on Pokémon games screw it up?
    Like i remember l used an AR on my Pokemon Leaf Green and for some resion l could not
    1 Battle Elte Four as Loreal had wondered off and
    2 I could no longer trade pokemon to Ruby Saphire anymore therefore making me restart and l soon sold the AR because never wanted to do it again

AR can mess up any game (the .nds file itself) when you use it.

However, since you are using a ROM Cart, you can just delete the old .nds file and get a new one. The .sav data will still be preserved. If the AR damaged the .sav file, then you're out of luck.

Trading an AR'd Pokemon will usually be completely safe.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    lol well you WERE chaining the chansey therefore making them appear a way lot more.
    the hard part is finding the chansey if they are not swarmed

i think i just got lucky...i just chained em a couple more times (about 25 on each chain)
    and all i got was a bunch of oval stones =/

oh well...9 is already more than i need =D

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Well first of all, entering contests and giving it milk and lemonade doesn't actually effect its happiness. What does are:

- Walking 256 steps
    - Levelling Up
    - Taking part in important battles such as gyms
    - Massages
    - Happy Berries
    - Giving it Vitamins

It goes down if:

- You give it any herbal items
    - Trade it
    - Let it faint

Togepi starts at happiness value 70 and will evolve once it reaches 220 and levels up. If it holds a Soothe Bell the points it gets get a 50% boost. The amount of points it gets each time you fulfil a requirment depends on how many points it has:

- Walk 256 steps (+1 for all happiness values)
    - Give the Pokemon Vitamins (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254)
    - Usage in Important Battle (+3 0-99, +2 100-199, +1 200-254)
    - Level Up the Pokemon (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254 per level)
    - Massage (+2 for all happiness values)
    - Berries (+2 for all happiness values)

You will need to count these as you go along. Also if you get the happiness meter from the girl in the Eterna Pokecenter then you can check it; if Togepi has two hearts that grow big then it is ready/nearly ready to evolve.

Late reply, buuuut...

I am pretty sure that the deprecation of happiness gained as the Pokemon grows more loyal was removed with DPPt; all actions should give the same amount of happiness no matter how close the Pokemon already is.

Though, I may be fibbing.

You also posted information for Generation III. Some amendments:
    -- Moo Moo Milk, Lemonade, and Soda Pop will increase happiness. Not sure by what factor.
    -- ONLY Kelpsy, Hondew, Grepa, Tamato, Qualot, and Pomeg berries raise happiness by 2 (+6 if in a Luxury Ball).
    -- Using a vitamin will raise happiness by 2 only (+6 if in a Luxury Ball).
    -- Walking in Amity Square provides more happiness than normal walking.
    -- Poffins raise happiness too.
    -- Veilstone massage gives +3 happiness (+5 if in Luxury Ball)
    -- Syndicate massage gives +5 happiness (+6 if in Luxury Ball)

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    are there any other rare items that wild pokemon hold, like lucky eggs?

Back