• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
  • No. Even though Defense are its highest stats, that doesn't mean that they're automatically usable. Compared to many other Pokemon, Medicham's Defense and HP is crappy to say the least, which renders them nearly unusable. Also, Medicham has Pure Power which Doubles its attack anyway, so going for Attack/Speed is the best option.

Years
  • oh ok. thanks. wow you must know your stuff. (:

ok. how about this. some pokemon im training. are these good stat builds for them.

meditite: speed/attack
    Aipom:speed/attack
    Grovyle:Attack/speed
    jolteon:speed/sp. attack
    torkoal:defense/attack
    tailow:speed/Attack

Last edited:

No you fail

l to the o to the l
    Years
  • oh ok. thanks. wow you must know your stuff. (:

ok. how about this. some pokemon im training. are these good stat builds for them.

meditite: speed/attack Yes.
    Aipom:speed/attack Yes.
    Grovyle:Attack/speed 90% of the time Sceptile uses special attack spreads, but I guess attack is usable.
    jolteon:speed/sp. attack Yes.
    torkoal:defense/attack Defense and HP since Torkoal is more of a wall/tank.
    tailow:speed/Attack Yes.

My opinions/changes in bold.
    Good luck training!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    -Is there any sort of cloning glitch in Platinum?
    -Does the trick where you have a female pokemon hold an everstone only work with fully evolved? i'm trying to get a female adamant chikorita w/ counter, either i'm doing something wrong or severely unlucky.
    -Is there any way in Gen. IV to get Blissey to learn Seismic Toss?

1. It was fixed.
    2. Yes. You're just unlucky.
    3. No.
    wait, so for me to get a new feebas with modest nature, i have to use a Milotic with modest nature, NOT a feebas with modest nature?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    i am in the middle of deciding on the moveset for my Smeargle
    so far i have Spore and i want to add either Dream Eater Or Nightmare
    what would be the best move to give it? i know that Dream Eater has a power of 100 and 50% of the damage is given to the user as Health
    but Nightmare doesn't have a set power but does 1/4 damage per a turn

What do you think i should have? here is the moveset i am thinking of :

Spore
    Dream Eater or Nightmare + Recover
    Metonome / Transform
    and trying to think of a powerful move, like Focus Punch or maybe Explosion

what do you all think?

ultimatediamond

Aura Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    In order to alter the nature of a Pokemon that hatches from an egg, do I need to save before I get the egg and then hatch it and when it hatches but doesn't have the designated Nature, I just reset?

(Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyaki Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions
    In order to alter the nature of a Pokemon that hatches from an egg, do I need to save before I get the egg and then hatch it and when it hatches but doesn't have the designated Nature, I just reset?

Save before you get the egg.
    Quote)

im currently trying to breed a shiny vulpix and i saved in front of the daycare man and hatched the egg

it was a female calm vulpix that liked bitter food
    i reset and tried again and got the same thing

that doesnt work

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Hey there, so I need help for moves for my Roselia. She's definitely keeping Petal Dance and Giga Drain, and learning Solar Beam. However I'm stuck between her keeping Grasswhistle or Magic Leaf.

My problem with Grasswhistle is that if she has it, she'll just be like my Diamond Roselia who I loved and lost (still looking for that game!) and Magic Leaf is like a signature move, but I prefer Petal Dance though. I'll be evolving her to a Roserade after she's learnt Petal Dance and will use her in the Battle Tower later on just to add more info. Thanks for your help. Oh she has poison point.

I heard that I need to mix moves so any ideas to replace the conflicting two?

EDIT: I'm thinking of Sludge Bomb, good Poison type move. Or should I try Hyper Beam even though it's only Normal Type? Your replies will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • i am in the middle of deciding on the moveset for my Smeargle
    so far i have Spore and i want to add either Dream Eater Or Nightmare
    what would be the best move to give it? i know that Dream Eater has a power of 100 and 50% of the damage is given to the user as Health
    but Nightmare doesn't have a set power but does 1/4 damage per a turn

What do you think i should have? here is the moveset i am thinking of :

Spore
    Dream Eater or Nightmare + Recover
    Metonome / Transform
    and trying to think of a powerful move, like Focus Punch or maybe Explosion

what do you all think?

Dream Eater sucks. Nightmare too. Besides ingame of course, since they don't switch out ingame. However... competitively, this set won't reach far.
    Metronome is a pretty poor move. It can be fun, but it can be annoying too if you keep getting nub moves like Splash/Tail Whip/Growl/whatever. Only use it ingame. Transform can be great fun, and quite useful at certain times. Not always though.

Oh, and Recover is bleehh on Smeargle. It doesen't need it. Since Smeargle has those amazing defenses (55 HP/35 def/45 spdef, we're talking srs Luvdisc business here) it won't live any hit anyway (besides something stupid like Body Slam Blissey -_- but you won't exactly see a lot of those :p)

Oh, and no "powerful" moves please. An Explosion coming off 139 attack (max attack for Jolly Smeargle, min with no EVs is like 76 xD) isn't going to do anything, even with STAB. If you want Smeargle to blow up (not what it should be used for) you should pair Explosion with Swords Dance/Belly Drum. Focus Punch is also lol.

DON'T use Belly Drum-Explosion though, since Lickylicky is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better at that. xD It still sucks, since Belly Drum + Lickylicky's noob speed gets you killed before you can go wtfboom.
    Swords Dance is better for an explosive finish ;D

For a competitive Smeargle, you should use one of these sets. They're the only viable sets for Smeargle, since it's got laughable defenses. Spore is fine - DON'T use those other moves besides from ingame play.

https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/smeargle

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Does slathering more honey on a tree do anything extra, or is there no difference between one and 10 honies used on one tree?

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • Hey there, so I need help for moves for my Roselia. She's definitely keeping Petal Dance and Giga Drain, and learning Solar Beam. However I'm stuck between her keeping Grasswhistle or Magic Leaf.

My problem with Grasswhistle is that if she has it, she'll just be like my Diamond Roselia who I loved and lost (still looking for that game!) and Magic Leaf is like a signature move, but I prefer Petal Dance though. I'll be evolving her to a Roserade after she's learnt Petal Dance and will use her in the Battle Tower later on just to add more info. Thanks for your help. Oh she has poison point.

I heard that I need to mix moves so any ideas to replace the conflicting two?

EDIT: I'm thinking of Sludge Bomb, good Poison type move. Or should I try Hyper Beam even though it's only Normal Type? Your replies will be greatly appreciated.

well, if you really want to have solar beam maybe you can teach Roselia (or Roserade) Sunny day, that way you can attack faster with the Solar beam, Sludge Bomb it's also a good idea, but believe me, you gonna beat for sure the grass pkmn (weak to Poison) with your Fire type pkmn than with your Roselia's Sludge Bomb XD, i can recommend you look if she/he's have a good Sp. Atk. and teach TM Psychic...

Working on Platinum, Breeding, hatching and trading on Diamond
    Diamond:
    my FC is 3867 6992 6638 and TN is Edward

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    I was wondering, if i have a Smeargle with Nightmare could i breed that with a pokemon and pass it it on? like with Egg moves to be able to give Pokemon that doesnt normally get that move to be able to have it like Gengar or Umbreon?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Hii,
    quick question, could someone explain the battle clauses to me??
    Thank youu : )

Competitive Clauses

In competitive Pokémon, there are several standard rules used in every match. These rules are called clauses, and they serve to stop some over-powerful strategies, reduce the role that luck can play in a match, and overall just make the game more enjoyable. If you are playing on a simulator, these rules will be enforced automatically; in wi-fi play, activating any one of these clauses will usually result in disqualification.

Evasion Clause
    Moves that boost evasion (i.e. Double Team and Minimize) are not allowed.
    Freeze Clause
    Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be frozen at the same time.
    Sleep Clause
    Two or more Pokémon on a team cannot be asleep at the same time. Self-induce sleep via rest does not activate Sleep Clause.
    OHKO Clause
    One-Hit KO moves are not allowed.
    Species Clause
    Two or more of the same Pokémon may not be used on the same team.
    Self KO Clause
    If both players have only one Pokémon left, moves which KO both the user and the opponent are not allowed (e.g. Explosion, Destiny Bond). If recoil damage would cause a tie, Self KO Clause does not activate, and the player who last attacked is the winner.
    Item Clause
    All Pokémon on a team must hold different items. This is not a standard clause in competitive play, but it is used in Nintendo tournaments.

I was wondering, if i have a Smeargle with Nightmare could i breed that with a pokemon and pass it it on? like with Egg moves to be able to give Pokemon that doesnt normally get that move to be able to have it like Gengar or Umbreon?
    Perhaps, but Nightmare is not an egg move for any Pokemon. Eevee would not learn it, and if both Gengar parents know it, the Gastly should know it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    where can i find a list of all egg moves?
    also with Volt Tackle - the damage that gets done to the user is that normal damage or is it Electric damage?

Back