• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hi there!

I've just started working on a short narrative-focused hack, and I'm looking for feedback on my mapping.

Quick Questions & Answers

Say hello to Route 101, 25 years after an unspecified calamity strikes Hoenn!

There are a few little tile join errors that I've fixed in my most recent version, but I'm more curious to know how I could improve this. Does it feel natural?

Important note: everything is purely for aesthetic purposes. I'm actually toying with the idea of the player not having any battles - I assume that Pokémon cries will still randomly play if I have encounter chance set to 0?

Years
    so.
    hex editor for all of the byte changes
    advancemap for making behavior tile and then the light byte is likely the overworld connection byte, if i am thinking correctly

So I tried, to goto those offsets in HEX Workshop, but they are giving an error.
    What is my mistake?

Years
    Hi there!

I've just started working on a short narrative-focused hack, and I'm looking for feedback on my mapping.

Say hello to Route 101, 25 years after an unspecified calamity strikes Hoenn!

There are a few little tile join errors that I've fixed in my most recent version, but I'm more curious to know how I could improve this. Does it feel natural?

Important note: everything is purely for aesthetic purposes. I'm actually toying with the idea of the player not having any battles - I assume that Pokémon cries will still randomly play if I have encounter chance set to 0?

Looks very cool, bro!
    It looks natural, but it must be larger for my taste.
    You should include some trainer battles and wild Pokemon.

That are only my recommendations, how I would do it.
    Do whatever you like to do. :)

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    So I applied everything.
    The last thing I don't understand are the tiles 0x19 with the Dive behaviour.
    How to apply this behaviour to those tiles?

this is then done in advancemap
    change the tile that you want to be the dive tile to have behaviour byte value 0x19

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Running across a little problem. I'm probably missing something pretty basic.

I need to edit the TMs in an emerald hack manually, because I want them to reflect new moves (which isn't possible using a tool, as far as I can see).

I found the offset at x616040 and have changed them to what moves I want.... but the TM descriptions seem to link to the OLD moves. Any way to change that?

Years
    Looks very cool, bro!
    It looks natural, but it must be larger for my taste.
    You should include some trainer battles and wild Pokemon.

That are only my recommendations, how I would do it.
    Do whatever you like to do. :)

Thanks! I don't have any plans for those things at the moment. I want to explore ways of telling stories in this engine without using battles.

I've fixed a few little tile bugs and here's what it looks like now.

Spoilered so it doesn't take up the whole thread:
    Spoiler:

Years
    Thanks! I don't have any plans for those things at the moment. I want to explore ways of telling stories in this engine without using battles.

I've fixed a few little tile bugs and here's what it looks like now.

Spoilered so it doesn't take up the whole thread:
    Spoiler:

WELCOME TO THE ITERATION STATION:

Spoiler:

I got a bunch of fantastic feedback, and I'm way happier with the state of the map now!

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2021
    i had an idea for an emerald romhack wherein every pokemon is viable to use in battle - even such weaklings as wurmple and magikarp. they would still not as strong as, say, salamence, but strong enough to use in your team, and be unique from their evolutions in some way. i thought it would be fun to have a game where you really can use your favorites! (without resorting to endless grinding). my questions are:

1) has anyone seen an emerald romhack that's done this before? i don't want to step on anyone's toes
    2) does this seem like an interesting enough idea on its own?

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    yep! like every other item, tms have a description. this item description is just the move's description in the case of tms~

I thought the TM description would simply link to the description for the allocated move. Any idea where the TM descriptions are kept?

Thanks!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    I thought the TM description would simply link to the description for the allocated move. Any idea where the TM descriptions are kept?

Thanks!
    that's how fire red does it, even if not automatically, but...

emerald does it a little differently than fire red because of the size of the area allocated for item description. all of the tms instead have their own custom descriptions which describe the moves (i.e. focus punch tm description: "Powerful, but makes the user flinch if hit by the foe." focus punch move description: "A powerful loyalty attack. The user flinches if hit.")
    586b60 has tm01's pointer to the description of its move. 0x28 bytes after that is the next tm's pointer, and so on.
    if you want this done easily/are not a big fan of hex things, you can just use something like G3T and edit the already-existing descriptions for the TMs <3

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    [...]
    586b60 has tm01's pointer to the description of its move. 0x28 bytes after that is the next tm's pointer, and so on.
    if you want this done easily/are not a big fan of hex things, you can just use something like G3T and edit the already-existing descriptions for the TMs <3

Seems simple enough. Thanks a lot!

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Has anyone tried to turn Pure Power from double attack to double sp. attack? Or made an ability that does the same thing on fire red?

PankajBlitz

Taiyoh!
    Years
    Can anyone tell me the palette and image offset for hp boxes in Pokemon Ruby ( UnlZ Gba) and how to enable national dex.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Am I being stupid? I can't find the May/Brendan script for Laveridge Town. After you beat the gym, she usually comes out of the door to one of the houses and gives you the go-goggles..... except on Advance Map she isn't there.

It does have a sprite for some guy, but there's no script attached to him at all so it can't be that.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    For some reason, every time I try to enter a map that was originally from Navel Rock and I resized, the screen goes blank. All of the other maps that I changed but didn't resize work perfectly fine, it's only the ones that I resized that seem to blank out on me. I noticed this issue on a previous hack when resizing and replacing Lost Cave's maps, so is there something I'm missing when resizing maps?

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    Am I being stupid? I can't find the May/Brendan script for Laveridge Town. After you beat the gym, she usually comes out of the door to one of the houses and gives you the go-goggles..... except on Advance Map she isn't there.

It does have a sprite for some guy, but there's no script attached to him at all so it can't be that.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please?
    have you looked at the level scripts? my personal bet, tbh
    and if the guy also happens to be the same as one of them that appear in your bedroom in amap in vanilla, then it likely is him; he would be a dynamic overworld so that either brendan OR may could be loaded depending on gender. game freak likes to do that a few times with them...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back