• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
    Hello guys!
    I'm making my first HACK ROM of Pokemon FireRed, and I'm having trouble with some things, anyone with experience on Rom Hacking could help?

These are my doubts:

1- I Added the Fairy-Type. Now, how can I add fairy type moves?

2- My Rom has only fakemon. I replaced caterpie with another bug-type, but it can only learn 2 moves! This is anoying, is there any way to change the number of moves a pokémon can learn?

4- How can I change the sprite of a badge?

3- This is not SO important for my ROM, but anyone knows if there is a way to have 4 starters in the game and not only 3?

For now, that's all.. If anyone knows how to solve any of these, please help :)

Thanks in advance!!

I can only help with number two. It's a simple procedure but I'm not aware if it works on every tool. Movesets rely on offsets and when you add in more you need to repoint. G3HS has this feature built in so all you need to do is click on the button which allows you to choose how many moves you want, then you can add or replace the existing ones with what you want.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    Hello guys!
    I'm making my first HACK ROM of Pokemon FireRed, and I'm having trouble with some things, anyone with experience on Rom Hacking could help?

These are my doubts:

1- I Added the Fairy-Type. Now, how can I add fairy type moves?

2- My Rom has only fakemon. I replaced caterpie with another bug-type, but it can only learn 2 moves! This is anoying, is there any way to change the number of moves a pokémon can learn?

4- How can I change the sprite of a badge?

3- This is not SO important for my ROM, but anyone knows if there is a way to have 4 starters in the game and not only 3?

For now, that's all.. If anyone knows how to solve any of these, please help :)

Thanks in advance!!
    1.) if you added the fairy type according to most tutorials on it, it will be type 0x17 in hexadecimal, or 23 in decimal. if you edit the .ini to have 23 types in it, then it will show up~
    if you replaced the ??? type, then go back and redo it to have it as a new type~

2.) repointing works (seconding zervais)

3.) you can edit the starter script to add in a fourth pokémon. the problem with this, however, is that all of the starters use the same script based off of something i don't quite know, probs position

4.) look for them in unlz.gba/follow this tutorial

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2016
    Hi! I'm a complete rookie, but I'd like to try to make a Psyducklocke using Fire Red. This is the idea:

In every route there will be Psyducks (besides the Pokémon corresponding to the route) that have random moves. For example:

1st encounter with a Psyduck in Route 1: Psyduck with Ember and Toxic.
    2nd encounter with a Psyduck in Route 1: Psyduck with Solar Beam and Tackle.
    3rd encounter with a Psyduck in Route 1: Psyduck with Rock Slide and Ice Punch.
    Etc.

The problem is that I don't know how to make it possible. I haven't found the way of doing that Psyduck appears with random moves. Is there any way?

The only "solution" I've come to think is to transform the Pokémon from Hoenn into Psyduck's clone and change its moves, but that's tedious and it isn't really random.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
    Hi! I'm a complete rookie, but I'd like to try to make a Psyducklocke using Fire Red. This is the idea:

In every route there will be Psyducks (besides the Pokémon corresponding to the route) that have random moves. For example:

Etc.

The problem is that I don't know how to make it possible. I haven't found the way of doing that Psyduck appears with random moves. Is there any way?

The only "solution" I've come to think is to transform the Pokémon from Hoenn into Psyduck's clone and change its moves, but that's tedious and it isn't really random.

As far as I am aware there isn't a way you can set wild Pokemon to have certain moves, so the only way I can see you doing it is by creating multiple psyducks, each with a different moveset and then placing them where you want in advanced map. It's an interesting idea for a challenge and you can get around having multiple psyducks in the pokedex by assigning them all the same dex number (use PGE). There's no quick way, unfortunately, but nothing worth doing is ever easy.

You will only need to create one psyduck from each route; one with the same moveset, then in advanced map you can simply select the correct one and put it into each wild Pokemon slot. I recommend keeping a list of which psyduck has what moves and what place they are in the original dex because there would be no way to tell them apart in advanced map.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018

Etc.

It's not random, but you could modify this:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8509300&postcount=11

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2023
    Hi everyone. I need help with BWTE (1000). The issue I'm having is that I can't get past 843 - Extra, which is Wallace. I don't mind using Normal Mode but I can only edit Challenge Mode trainers up until Wallace. I get an "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Index was outside the bounds of the array."

I have no idea what that means. I've been trying to fix this issue for a while now. Has anyone had this issue as well? Let me know if you guys have a solution to this. Thanks.

Edit: I noticed that on the narc files on the trainer data & poke data go up to 843 but the BWTE 1000 Program reaches up to 1000. The hack that I tried to edit is Blaze Black 2, which should be able to reach up to 1000 right? Or was this hack only edited up to 843 trainers? Because Steven(842) & Wallace(843) are the Normal Mode battles, so their should be an 844 & 845 for those 2 correct?

Last edited:
    Years

Etc.

Yeah, the function is at 08069270 in Emerald. It sets default moves for every pokemon that's being created at a moment. You could hook there and do something like:
    if (poke == psyduck AND not_a_trainer_battle_)
    randomize all moves
    If you hack FR switch to EM and stop being a peasant ask FBI or Touched for the function address.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    Yeah, the function is at 08069270 in Emerald. It sets default moves for every pokemon that's being created at a moment. You could hook there and do something like:
    randomize all moves
    If you hack FR switch to EM and stop being a peasant ask FBI or Touched for the function address.
    0x0803E9E0 for fire red <3

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for the answers, guys!

randomize all moves

0x0803E9E0 for fire red <3

So you are telling me that is possible that every time a wild Psyduck appears, it will have a random moveset, right? But it seems that I have to learn the ASM Tutorials unless you can guide me through some steps for dummies to achieve the function to be modified. And even learning tutorials, I don't know if I will be able to apply that 'if condition' and that 'randomize all moves'.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    Is there any command that allows to save the player's party and another command that would basically retrieve said party to the player?
    EDIT: I basically want to implement Emerald's Battle Tent inside FireRed in my own way.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    hi!
    so, fire red does not natively have a regional pokédex.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9169525&postcount=882
    these assembly routines, however, make it so that it does.
    a table at the very bottom has your regional dex order.
    I tried inserting the routine azurile13 made into the ROM but I got this error. I'm using the thumb editor and assembler karatekid made.
    Quick Questions & Answers

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    I tried inserting the routine azurile13 made into the ROM but I got this error. I'm using the thumb editor and assembler karatekid made.
    take out his comments, karatekid's doesn't recognize "//" as a comment starter
    it does, however, recognize "/*". it must be terminated by "*/", however

Zervais

Island Kahuna
    Years
    Quick question (there's a surprise given the name of the thread), I wanted to know if accented characters can be used in Pokemon names (Flabébé) and NPC names. I never noticed them used in FRLG before so am unsure if they can be. I don't want to go ahead and insert them if they will not show properly.

If I can use accented characters, is there a list of which ones will work? Some of the names I'm using have unusual characters and not just the common acute.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    Quick question (there's a surprise given the name of the thread), I wanted to know if accented characters can be used in Pokemon names (Flabébé) and NPC names. I never noticed them used in FRLG before so am unsure if they can be. I don't want to go ahead and insert them if they will not show properly.

If I can use accented characters, is there a list of which ones will work? Some of the names I'm using have unusual characters and not just the common acute.
    yep! most will work
    https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13825.msg201280.html#msg201280

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    take out his comments, karatekid's doesn't recognize "//" as a comment starter
    it does, however, recognize "/*". it must be terminated by "*/", however

Now that I've fixed the comment starter I get this error now. What should I do?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back