• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    Hello, I'm working on an idea of a remake of Diamond/Pearl and I was wondering whether hacking or RMXP is better for it.

My requirements:
    -Super Easy to use/learn
    -Easily add 10 to 20 Pokemon (evolutions of previously existing Pokemon)
    -Change paths slightly
    -Ability to change music
    -Ability to change UI during battles
    -Ability to implement minor new features

I'm pretty new so the idea is in the beginning stages for now.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Two questions, which may or may not be as simple as I suspect.
    First off: how do I change the effect of the Pomeg berry so as to match the effect it had in later generations (preventing the HP bug present in Emerald)?
    Secondly: Does anybody have any idea how I'd go about changing the priority of Focus Punch's charging turn?

1: My hex helper tool does that for you. But its not a hard thing to do your self.
    2: Use a move editor like PGE or G3T

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    1: My hex helper tool does that for you. But its not a hard thing to do your self.
    2: Use a move editor like PGE or G3T
    I had no idea this tool existed, good work on that and thanks for the help!

As for the other part, I have attempted using a move editor but it seems that this has to be done through hex as well. My issue is that the priority seems to be set as a single entity (value 253). I've located the move's data (Address 31D4F8-31D4FF), but I'm not really sure where to go from here - I suspect that I'm looking in completely the wrong place for this, though.

Hello, I'm working on an idea of a remake of Diamond/Pearl and I was wondering whether hacking or RMXP is better for it.

My requirements:
    -Super Easy to use/learn
    -Easily add 10 to 20 Pokemon (evolutions of previously existing Pokemon)
    -Change paths slightly
    -Ability to change music
    -Ability to change UI during battles
    -Ability to implement minor new features

I'm pretty new so the idea is in the beginning stages for now.
    Both are capable of doing all of the above - but the ease of use and extent to which these are possible are the dividing factor. ROM Hacks will run considerably quicker, compared with RMXP's slow maps. However, RMXP will be considerably easier - with the only real difficulty coming from learning the new commands. The main downside to ROM Hacking is that you'll likely have a less stable end product, in addition to being harder to do. The main downside of RMXP is being slower, only running on Windows (without some amount of tweaking) and not running on Windows 8 (without running a different OS in a virtual machine).
    Hope that helps.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2015
    Q1: How to add script for move tutor and how to set which pokemon can learn it?
    Q2: How to increase the amount of available moves in emerald? :)

Joexv

Years
    I had no idea this tool existed, good work on that and thanks for the help!

As for the other part, I have attempted using a move editor but it seems that this has to be done through hex as well. My issue is that the priority seems to be set as a single entity (value 253). I've located the move's data (Address 31D4F8-31D4FF), but I'm not really sure where to go from here - I suspect that I'm looking in completely the wrong place for this, though.
    Did you try useing G3T's move editor? It has exactly what you want.

I cant remember atm how to add new tutors but heres a tut on adding more attacks
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=337152

Does anyone know how to change text here:
    Quick Questions & Answers

The 'Prof. Birch is in trouble' part.
    btw, I'm using Emerald.
    A-text my friend. Or use XSE and edit the string. Offset is 0x5e8c53

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Did you try useing G3T's move editor? It has exactly what you want.
    G3T was precisey how I got this information in the first place but, like I said, the charging turn and attack phase seem to be treated as a single entity. Unless the two are listed separately, I can't really think how to approach this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2015
    I got a question about flags, What flags are unused in emerald rom and which flags can be used (please mention whether in hex or simple decimal :) ) I am working on hack and I think these flags will come in handy xD

Joexv

Years

I got a question about flags, What flags are unused in emerald rom and which flags can be used (please mention whether in hex or simple decimal :) ) I am working on hack and I think these flags will come in handy xD
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=330008

Also does anyone have the offset for the script of your mother healing you after you faint?
    For Fire Red btw.

Nevermind found it. its at 0x1A8DE0 for anyone who needs it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    In some ASMs of FireRed, they use 6E455... but then what is for Emerald? What is the FireRed's "6e455" for Emerald? Well, I'm now trying to port FireRed goodies to Emerald and going to test them with right offsets and routines. For those who are good in Emerald ASM, please answer this if you know something about this.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    In some ASMs of FireRed, they use 6E455... but then what is for Emerald? What is the FireRed's "6e455" for Emerald? Well, I'm now trying to port FireRed goodies to Emerald and going to test them with right offsets and routines. For those who are good in Emerald ASM, please answer this if you know something about this.

Might wanna say what that offset does in the first place... in FR

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Might wanna say what that offset does in the first place... in FR

It's the routine used to get the address of a given variable. Which ends up being useful for vars that aren't statically addressed (though it's mainly used as a helper routine for setting a var and loading a var's value).

Alright, I'm gonna stop there before I start ranting again. :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I see thanks are there any major tools that i cant use in particular or are they all working fine? would i need to use compatibility mode with some of them?

I haven't had any problems with any tools I've used so far. There might be some that don't work, but Advance Map, XSE and other major tools work fine.

Years
    All right this is bugging me... I've been hunting through the boards for a couple of hours now hunting for what to use to change the trainer sprites in Emerald, I keep seeing people say NSE but it doesn't support most of the games. At not in 2.X, I'm going to have a glance at Classic now my patience has run out but not even sure that'll work so.... What tools are there that support Emerald?

Got a little bored and I'm tweaking moemon emerald for a nuzlocke, giving it a custom front end and I want to start changing some of the trainers as well.

EDIT: Found the trainer file via navigation and this, except it's missing a back pose for Brendan and I have no idea how long that file actually is so I replace it correctly.

Last edited:

Neko Mizu

Kawaii
    Years
    Is it possible to add a new method of wild Pokemon encounter? If so, how would one go about doing this? What would you use to make it? How would you to add it to Advance Map to use it?
    I could not find a thread about this, or anything. So there is my question.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Is it possible to add a new method of wild Pokemon encounter? If so, how would one go about doing this? What would you use to make it? How would you to add it to Advance Map to use it?
    I could not find a thread about this, or anything. So there is my question.

It is possible, and it's not easy if it's a completely different set of Pokemon. Map editors wouldn't support it either, and you'd probably write some of your own custom code for the encounter Pokemon selection. Overall it's a little bit of work if you know what you're doing, else it's quite hard :D

I've been successful at over-riding the encounter to become another Pokemon, this would be similar, except you'd read a tile behaviour byte or something depending on how you plan on doing it. But no, there aren't any guides for this kinda thing :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back