• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Are you making sure to press the 'compile' button, rather than save? The compile button is the grey gear.

Be careful when editing and recompiling scripts as the likelihood is you'll overwrite something if you don't repoint.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Okay, one more question. How do I add more spaces for pokemon? I've used up all the blank spots that appear after Celebi. I'm trying to add pokemon from gen 4 and 5, as well as some fakemon.

Don't use the slots after celebi. Instead, you can download G3HS, open your ROM with it and click on the expand Pokemon button. That way you can add as many slots as you like, and the Pokemon are actually fully working (they have Pokedex entries, cries, etc).

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    I have done that and when I edit the scripting, it doesn't save in the actual ROM :/ I'll try again and see what happens but as it stands...

You have to compile the script after you edit it to a new offset and type in that offset, tht should do it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    Don't use the slots after celebi. Instead, you can download G3HS, open your ROM with it and click on the expand Pokemon button. That way you can add as many slots as you like, and the Pokemon are actually fully working (they have Pokedex entries, cries, etc).

If you're trying to insert new Pokémon, you can use The sprite editor From Advance Sprite, Icon, and Position editor. All you need to do is load your ROM, find the Pokémon you want to replace, go to edit>import all, and select your 256x64 indexted image of the new Pokémon, then click 'synchronize palettes'. Click OK and write to ROM, simple as that. No need to manually replace the palettes, it does everything for you.

Now I have another issue. I used G3HS to add pokemon, but now I can't us ASE because it says my rom file isn't LZ77 compressed. What do I do to fix these issues?

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    Everything.

Not really helpful :/

I have a question of my own. Does anyone know where the palette for the FireRed titlescreen flames are located in, of course, FireRed? Trying to replace the palette only using APE. And aparentally they are different from the offset used to completely replace FireRed's background.

Thanks,
    PokéMew

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    Not really helpful :/

I have a question of my own. Does anyone know where the palette for the FireRed titlescreen flames are located in, of course, FireRed? Trying to replace the palette only using APE. And aparentally they are different from the offset used to completely replace FireRed's background.

Thanks,
    PokéMew

it should be at at 0x3BF77C

jToTheAvacola

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Is there a working way to add a brand new region map into firered? Without replacing any of the maps already in the game. As in a new region that will have it's own fly screen and map screen.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Does anyone know what the flags from 0x700 to 0x7FF control, if anything? There's nothing on them in this thread, I couldn't find what they do anywhere. :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    If you're planning on using existing moves, then there's less hex expansion needed. You will not be able to avoid some ASM though (particularly to get the BRM working). I did some documentation about how the current HMs work, but I haven't done anything about adding HMs. I'll release my field moves routines in the near future (maybe). The only reason that's a maybe is because I'm getting super lazy when it comes to instructions/explanations, new things just require a lot of explanation to be useful.

Also, I don't understand why you are assuming the ASM solution is harder than potentially repointing X amount of tables, finding limiting bytes, and fixing everything too. People are too intimidated I find. If you take the time to read some tutorials, maybe in more than 1 sitting, I think anyone can wrap their heads around the concept. It's a low level programming language, where most of the complicating concepts aren't even widely used. (Well, actually in this case it is harder). Though, if your new HM is to even do anything in the overworld, you would need ASM.

Anyways, I think you're right. This probably isn't the right section for your question, but in hindsight I was able to address the source of some of my laziness. :)
    Late reply because I didn't realize you responded, but thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the reason I didn't want an ASM method wasn't perceived difficulty. It was actually that I don't (yet) have a way to use ASM whether I learn it or not. I'm on a Mac and I haven't been able to find an assembler that even opens for me. I have Wine. That manages to open most tools like Advance Map (weirdly the mac version of MEH doesn't even work for me), Unnamed Trainer, various Hex Editors, and PKSV (I haven't gotten XSE to work). For whatever reason, I've been unable to find a compatible assembler.

I also didn't think I'd need assembly for the overworld because the HMs I planned to use were similar to existing scripts like Whirlpool being similar to Cut. Regardless, I've decided that a ton of HMs (requiring HM slaves) is annoying, so I'll probably try to pack most of them into key items (even if the items don't actually *do* anything and are just there for show).

Last edited:

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    Does anyone happen to know the offset for IMG#426 in UNLZ, trying to replace its palette in APE. Btw, IMG#426 is this Image (nest ball):

Quick Questions & Answers

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
    Does anyone happen to know the offset for IMG#426 in UNLZ, trying to replace its palette in APE. Btw, IMG#426 is this Image (nest ball):

Quick Questions & Answers

If you want to get the image offset and the pallet offset just log sci in vba and do a pallet view then search for what you see in ape. Cause just giving us a unlz number is reletively useless since its different per rom.

Edit: just relized you gave the image too.:P
    Just open the bitmap in infranview and look at the pallet that way and search for it in ape.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    If you want to get the image offset and the pallet offset just log sci in vba and do a pallet view then search for what you see in ape. Cause just giving us a unlz number is reletively useless since its different per rom.

Edit: just relized you gave the image too.:P
    Just open the bitmap in infranview and look at the pallet that way and search for it in ape.

Wow, I have no idea why but I wasn't aware that APE had a search function *facepalm*

00D01E65 :)

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Would anyone happen to know if there is a tool to edit the species names of Pokémon in BW (e.g. changing "Bulbasaur" to "BULBASAUR")? I've tried downloading several different tools, but none of them seem to be capable of doing this.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong thread/section/something; I looked through this thread and it seems to all be Gen III hacking questions :s

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    Wow, I have no idea why but I wasn't aware that APE had a search function *facepalm*

00D01E65 :)

Thanks.
    If you can see the image in unlz, then why wouldn't you simply get the pal from there?
    The 'Pokéballs' link in my sig contains information on the graphics and palette tables by the way.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    If you can see the image in unlz, then why wouldn't you simply get the pal from there?
    The 'Pokéballs' link in my sig contains information on the graphics and palette tables by the way.

Because UNLZ gives the wrong offsets.. I've tried it for various images and they all lead me to a different offset.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back