• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hi guys, did some research on this topic already but haven't found exactly what I needed so thought I would post here! Sorry about the inquisitive barrage, Ive been saving these up =P

I'm using FR and I would like to skip the intro from the title-screen straight to a map, where I could then set the player's gender manually in a script.

... Is this even possible?

PS: Also, is there a way to have more than 6 Trainer back-sprites?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Hi guys, did some research on this topic already but haven't found exactly what I needed so thought I would post here! Sorry about the inquisitive barrage, Ive been saving these up =P

I'm using FR and I would like to skip the intro from the title-screen straight to a map, where I could then set the player's gender manually in a script.

I'm not sure if there is exactly what you want, but there is definitely stuff that has bits and pieces.
    This is about skipping Oak's Intro: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8521318&postcount=155
    This is about setting a static name (not sure if you want that): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8520099&postcount=135
    And this is about setting the player ID if you do skip the intro: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8536952&postcount=333
    There's more but that's what I can remember.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I'm not sure if there is exactly what you want, but there is definitely stuff that has bits and pieces.
    This is about skipping Oak's Intro: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8521318&postcount=155
    This is about setting a static name (not sure if you want that): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8520099&postcount=135
    And this is about setting the player ID if you do skip the intro: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8536952&postcount=333
    There's more but that's what I can remember.

Thank you so much for the info, I already make use of static player names, so I can understand how to use that I think =) my only obstacle now is how to set the boy/girl gender option without the intro =/

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Thank you so much for the info, I already make use of static player names, so I can understand how to use that I think =) my only obstacle now is how to set the boy/girl gender option without the intro =/
    You should be able to find the asm routine which waits for you to press A button for selecting either Boy or Girl if you search for those text strings ('Boy' and 'Girl', unless they're written in the rom totlly in caps instead), and locate the pointer to either one of them (it could be so that only the first one is pointed (which is most likely 'Boy') to from elsewhere).

This asm routine (that waits for you to select Boy or Girl) is probably called from somewhere else which is the routine that handles, which option you chose. And there you go, you have to locate that and use parts of it for gender selection.
    It might even be easier than this and could be done writing a couple of bits (or bytes) here and there too. But this is how you should be able to find what you are looking for. Requires some asm knowledge to understand what is going on there though but at least, you should be able to locate some ram addresses mentioned in the code. It could just write the selected gender in one of those for later usage.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349936
    It would appear that player gender is saved 8 bytes into "SaveBlockC." Whether or not that is the only place you'd have to account for, I have no clue, so cross your fingers. As it is DMA protected, you'll need to asm it if you're writing directly there, though the asm would be pretty simple.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Possibly dumb question from someone completely new to this:
    I've been reading different tutorials on hacking for beginners, and I found something about Pokemon Game Editor.
    The tutorial makes it seem like it comes preloaded with the programs it uses, or at the least, downloads them itself, but my PGE is blank. I've started downloading programs separately and integrating them into PGE, but is it supposed to come preloaded or am I supposed to get the programs myself?
    (or is PGE just something I should shy away from? I haven't heard much about it)

Years
  • Possibly dumb question from someone completely new to this:
    I've been reading different tutorials on hacking for beginners, and I found something about Pokemon Game Editor.
    The tutorial makes it seem like it comes preloaded with the programs it uses, or at the least, downloads them itself, but my PGE is blank. I've started downloading programs separately and integrating them into PGE, but is it supposed to come preloaded or am I supposed to get the programs myself?
    (or is PGE just something I should shy away from? I haven't heard much about it)

Some programs come with it. There are different tabs with programs you've added and the programs that should've came with PGE.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    is there a way to edit the amount of damage critical hits do? in gen 6 critical hits only deal 1.5x dmg compared to 2.0x in pre gen6, thisis compensated by having critical hit ratio much easier to raise.

is the critical hit formula editable?

trainra

just another person
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2018
    Hey there, I'm trying to dig into Pokemon Crystal encounter information for a private project (for now) and I couldn't find a program that allowed me to edit Pokemon encounter data when it came to fishing. I did find one editor but it only allowed for editing data in grass encounters. I also found editors for Gold and Silver, but it didn't work with Crystal.

So all in all, I'm looking for an editor to look at encounter data for Crystal for fishing (if it includes other info such as Rock Smash and Headbutt, that's great, but mainly just want fishing atm) so if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Years
    Years
  • Some general info before my question:

Hack Name: Pokemon Last Stand (I'm 100% settled on the name! WOO HOO! 1 thing done)
    Rom Base: Emerald 650 (The one with 650 pokemon available)
    Progress: All I've done is renamed a bunch of locations (was asked to repoint, etc.)

When planning for a rom hack, what is the general thought of where you should start; Map or story. I was thinking story and I can edit everything else to revolve around it, but wanted to see your thoughts.
    I am using Advance Map 1.92 and wanted to know how do you properly make a New Map and insert it into the game? I tried with a previous rom hack but it kinda connected with another town. Everytime I changed the name of that map it changed the name of the other location as well. I understand I can modify the current maps... but I'm wanting to have a project to work on that will allow me some free reign of developing more locations and expanding the map to a huge location.

I also know you can replace trainer sprites, however can you add a brand new one without replacing an older one? If so please point me in the direction to do so. I work best via video examples.

I am a youtuber and would love for you guys to check out my page if you would like. Just look up MrAGeezie on youtube. I plan on updating people with my progress via video and would love some help/advice on this project. Thank you for your time!

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • I was testing flags and I (tried) to make a script where a person blocks the way until you get the first badge, but it doesn't do anything other than display the first message, even after you get the Badge.

Spoiler:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024

It was obvious. The checkflag command doesn't need any compare following it because it returns a boolean value already into the if command checker thing in the memory.
    Code:
    #dynamic 0x800700

#org @main
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x820
    if 0x1 goto @okay
    msgbox @1 0x6
    release
    end

#org @okay
    lock
    faceplayer
    msgbox @okay1 0x6
    applymovement 4 @move
    waitmovement 0
    setvar 0x401F 0x1
    release
    end

Years
  • How do you properly make a New Map and insert it into the game? I tried with a previous rom hack but it connected with another town. Everytime I changed the name of that map it changed the name of the other location as well?

I also know you can replace trainer sprites, however can you add a brand new one without replacing an older one? If so please point me in the direction to do so.

Years
  • You guys know that thing where Poison-type Pokémon can't be poisoned?
    They are affected by Poison-type attacks, but they can't get poisoned.
    I'm wondering, 'cause I'd like to make Electric-type Pokémon unable to be paralyzed and if possible, some types may be affected more easily by a status.
    For example, Normal-type Pokémon would be poisoned more easily than other types, or Rock-type Pokémon may be burned easier.
    Is that possible? Like, Rock-type Pokémon have 10% more chance of getting burned or Normal-type Pokémon have 30% of getting poisoned?

Also, how can I change weather effects?
    Which types get hurt by a sandstorm, adding the damage to rain for ground and rock Pokémon... That kind of stuff?

Charles Dupiau

ROM HACKER
    Years
  • I've got a question about the fossils of Mt. Moon.
    I've edited the map and put the fossils somewhere else along with their script but now once the player beats the guy and chooses a fossil, they don't disappear and the events are never ending.
    How do i fix that?

I know the answer probably lays with flags, but I'm not an expert at using them.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    I'm editing the original 151 Pokemon and want to edit different Pokemon over some of the old ones. For example, I'm currently trying to change Bulbasaur to Ralts. Since I already have the data for Ralts at hand (I'm using the G3T tool), is there a way I can just overwrite the data for Bulbasaur instead of changing every little thing?

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • I've got a question about the fossils of Mt. Moon.
    I've edited the map and put the fossils somewhere else along with their script but now once the player beats the guy and chooses a fossil, they don't disappear and the events are never ending.
    How do i fix that?

I know the answer probably lays with flags, but I'm not an expert at using them.

Did you assign the Person ID 002F and 0030 to the fossils? They should look like this.

Left fossil:
    lMiqo9C.png

Right fossil:
    guHGbdz.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back