• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen R/B/Y or G/S/C?

KeyRogue

No theme for now...
Years
  • We all know that these two generations was one of the most nostalgic moments in our childhood, witch one of these games do you really love and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • G/S/C for the reason johto was my most favourite region of all, cause i liked it three seasons of anime, i wish all the anime cities would have appeared in the original games

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    If FR/LG didn't exist, I would choose Red/Blue (can't stand Yellow). Since they do, I'd choose G/S/C.

Years
  • Second Generation.

First off, even today, Johto has always been my favorite region. Everything about it from the towns and other such places, as well as the lore has always interested me.

Second, look at all that the second gen gave the series; Pokemon had actual genders. They could hold items. You could breed them. The game had a day and night system. It brought a new evolutionary system based on friendship. You could call trainers you had fought before and even fight them AGAIN. All good stuff, many of which are still in the series today.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    GSC is like an update of RBY, almost like an "expansion pack". Everything has been improved, more Pokèmon added, sharper backsprites, D/N system, two regions, 16 gyms, Red, rematches through phone, more extended side-quests, and in Crystal; The Battle Tower and Move Tutor. Move Deleter in Blackthorn.

The only disadvantage of GSC are the shorter routes and a scaled-down Kanto. The Leveling curve is also a bit flawed, due to the fact that two regions were fitted into the game. Also, no S.S. Anne, even though S.S Aqua does a terrific job of replacing it. But Anne was the bigger and more detailed ship. Some might miss it.

Another reason to chose RBY in front of GSC is the atmosphere. Both games have a fantastic atmosphere, but sometimes you do prefer the RBY-"feeling" in front of the GSC one.

Crystal is the most complete game.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • GSC is where I'm at. It's undeniably one of the best and most nostalgic games for me to date which offers my favourite starter (Cyndaquil) and rival (Silver), amazing soundtracks, amazing storyline and just basically amazing everything overall. Gold was also the very first Pokemon game I've ever played, making it deserving of this special place in my heart. I don't think I could have asked for more.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • I love them both for different reasons. I remember the day I opened up my copy of Pokemon Blue and plugged it into my Game Boy Pocket for the first time. Generation I represents the ultimate nostalgia and trip down memory lane for me.

However, I also remember borrowing one of my friends' copies of Silver, and being amazed at how expansive it was, not only in comparison with Blue, but for a Game Boy game in general.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Gold and Silver, despite my age and mentality of my peers, hold the closest spot in my heart out of any video game
    I will never forget the feeling of awe when I started playing Pokemon Gold
    Gen II and G/S for me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2014
    I have yet to complete a Gen 2 game :S I got over a Pokemon game phase after I played the Gen 1 games & started back up at Hoenn so I never got around to the Johto games.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Ok so i liked kanto the storyline and everything the only thing that shifts me to g/s/c is dark type i like it its needed its better plus u could go to kanto afterword and everything so reall theyre better in my eyes and have more legends and much better graphics plus they had animation
    R/B/Y or G/S/C?

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • Even though I did start off with R/B/Y, out of the two generations I would have to go with G/S/C. The reason being is that this is the first generation that I really got my start of playing the series and I knew what I was doing. The previous generation, I was super, super young and I would just play through the game with like one, Pokemon. This was the first generation that I really got a taste of being a Pokemon Trainer. :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I liked RBY, but I loved GSC. Gold was and still is my favorite Pokemon game, probably heavily due to nostalgia. I enjoyed playing Red, and many of my favorite Pokemon come from gen I, but I didn't like the glitchiness. Unlike Red, which I got later than most of my friends, I was the first person I knew to get Gold, and it was really neat to discover Johto (and then, surprisingly, to rediscover Kanto) with my Totodile. Gold also fixed many of Red's flaws, and just seemed to much more expansive than Red.

I really grew as a Pokemon player through Gold. I came to the game as a Blastoise solo runner (like many kids; at least mine knew Bite, rather than only water moves). I began Gold as a Totodile soloist (never evolved it because I didn't like the way Croconaw and Feraligatr looked). I finished my experience with a team, a completed Pokedex, completed Stadium games, and a rudimentary understanding of competitive battling. Sure, my team was the antithesis of balanced, and isn't the sort of thing I would use competitively today (Totodile, Blastoise, Quagsire, Pikachu, and Noctowl, plus an extra rotating slot for whatever I needed to train in-game), but I loved it, and it helped me move beyond my Red play style. Overall, even though I became much more involved in making competitive teams and such later, Gold marked the biggest leap in my playing ability, attitude towards the Pokemon games, and general Pokemon experience.

Without RBY, the start of my Pokemon journey would have been different, and I might never have gotten into the franchise at all. But without GSC, I would probably have been trapped in my gen I mindset, and I might never have become as obsessed with Pokemon as I ultimately have. On the whole, I think Pokemon has played a positive role in my life over the past fifteen years, so I'm glad I got started with Red when I did, and I'm glad I had the chance to play and enjoy Gold. Even though my original file lasted less than six years before the battery died, I created lifelong memories during that time, for which I am extremely grateful.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    GSC! Mostly Gold and Crystal as I don't believe I ever really played Silver. I like Silver's sprites more though 8)

The Johto games took everything that was great about RBY and made it even better. Day/night and weekdays, eggs, hold items, COLOR, better sprites... the list goes on and on. Even though the plot with TR in Johto might be the weakest of any evil team plots in the main series of games, everything else about these games made me fall completely in love and I still am today. RBY is enjoyable, but too simple once you've tried GSC. In contrast, I can still go back to GSC and enjoy them just as much as any later game.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I absolutely loved Gold and Crystal, the 2 Gen 2 games I got to play. It was kind of like DLC for R/B/Y, providing us improved mechanics with an extra area to explore - the Johto region! Goddesses above, was this place amazing~ Too bad I haven't even bought HG/SS to relive the area yet, but the Johto region and its people caused me to fall in love with the second generation.

Also, Morty.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2014
    While Gen 2 was great, there is nothing better than starting fresh with your choice of a bulbasaur, squirtle or charmander. All great starters, I would go through and play a campaign with each of them

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Hard to choose one of them, since I really like them both... But I pick G/S/C, also because Pokemon Gold was my very first Pokemon game :) I got Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow a few months later though, but when I was a kid I really wanted to play Pokemon Gold because some of my friends had this game as well :P

I loved the story, Johto and Kanto Pokemon you could catch in there, stuff you could do in this game and even going to the Kanto region at one point, I have had some great times and memories with these games! :D At some point I also got Pokemon Crystal, and still one of my favourite games!! :D

Back