• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Racism - your thoughts about it.

Years
    Everyone is racist to some extent. There's this online test that tests your reflexes when it comes to white people and black people, but I can't be bothered to find it right now, since I'm kinda plastered.

I am racist, to a certain extent. I like joking around about Indians with my Indian friend, just like he likes to joke around with me. "Korean History Channel" on Youtube is one of my favorites. A friend of a friend of mine told me that they always make fun of the Lebanese of his school. In his school, they have routine fire drills, and whenever that happens, they like to go "oh no, the Lebanese planted a bomb!" I do find things like that funny. But I don't think Whites are superior to Blacks, nor Blacks to Asians, nor Asians to Whites.

Am I racist? I dunno. But I'd like to think I'm not.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    racism can be great fun! everyone's racist and discrimination is a natural aspect of humanity, but people who deny their racism and pretend to see the world in black and white kinda ruin the potential for societal harmony. stereotypes are based on truth, and racist jokes are all in good fun. while hate crimes are irrational and holding an over-simplified negative generalization against an individual or a group of people is unnecessary, being able to draw amusement from discrimination instead of letting jibes (bitter or otherwise) get to you and stooping down to the irrational level of people who are really full of hate is (in my opinion) essential to the individual.

Commander-Charon

Pastafarian
    Years
    People should not be punished by the government for being racist, and buisnesses should not be punished for discrmination when it comes to employment. I do belive that this kind of racism is wrong and unjust. That does not mean that the goverment should tell me who I should hire.

Years
    People should not be punished by the government for being racist, and buisnesses should not be punished for discrmination when it comes to employment. I do belive that this kind of racism is wrong and unjust. That does not mean that the goverment should tell me who I should hire.
    How do you decide when it is discrimination and when it's meeting quotas?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Wow, reading this thread is certainly very eye-opening. It's good to see many people on PokéCommunity against racism.

Oh, and before you read on, keep in mine that I am black myself.

Racism isn't a new subject to me. If someone asks me if I'm racist, my answer is always 'no'. I truly believe that I'm not racist. I've always had a simple, easygoing personality and I've never judged anyone due to the fact that they are White, Black, Asian or whatever.

However, being a teenager in secondary - high for you Americans - school, I've opened my eyes to the world and what I've noticed is that racism is too vague of a word to describe hate towards other races. I have a group of friends where there is a Chinese, Turkish, Black and a White kid. We constantly make racist jokes towards each other and we don't take it badly. We don't hate each other, we just like to have a laugh. Even outside, a lot of people make racist jokes to me but I know they are my friends and I know they don't mean it maliciously. So, yeah, all of my friends are racist but at the same time, they're not.

So, having a laugh with your friends and using each other's race is fine in my eyes. Every race has a flaw and its human nature to point those out and have fun laughing about it. Obviously, when there is malice meant in the racist joke, then there is a problem. Even then, I don't hate racist people - as in, the kind that use malice to discriminate other races. I don't hate them because of reasons I shall not post due to not wanting to offend or annoy anyone in this thread.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Have a laugh with your friends and, if they are truly your friends, picking on the flaws of your or even their race just means that you're all adults and are able to have fun without being childish and taking offence to everything everyone says.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    There should be no thoughts on racism. We should be far enough by now to know that it is wrong. In 10 years people would see starting this thread as racist.

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    It's really awkward, because as humans we will never completely get rid of racism.

But I'm similar to Serene Grace. My friend group is quite multi cutural, and we do occasionally joke, and that's all it is, just a joke. And it's funny. But it's mostly just English/Scottish jokes :)

Livinitup17

Pokemon Dealer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    i think racist are people who are ignorant for many reasons some for lack of knowledge some being brainwash by others some rely on racist for there faults in life and etc
    racist arent always to be blame for there actions many are raise by parents or peers and kids tend to rely on the information there given to base judgement on stuff
    as for the others they have much anger towards other nationalities for many reasons they usually base there idea due to bad experience or lack of experience with those group of people well atleast this is my opinon well here are my 2 cents =]

Commander-Charon

Pastafarian
    Years
    There should be no thoughts on racism. We should be far enough by now to know that it is wrong. In 10 years people would see starting this thread as racist.

Thats actually a harmful veiw. Pretending that your colorblind dosent help at all. In 10 years people will still feel the same about this issue.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    So you're telling me that it's harmful to not see a difference between people with different skin colours? That's racist.
    Noticing differences between people, whether it's because of their skin colour, place of birth, accent, or anything at all, is not racist. Racism is hate and discrimination, not just acknowleding a difference.
    And Charon is right, pretending differences don't exist is silly.

I agree with poopnoodle's and Serene Grace's posts. "Racist jokes" that aren't to be taken seriously are good and help tell the difference between people that actually have some sense of maturity. I see very little true racist hate around where I am.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
    I do go strongly against racism, as people just brand others because of a different colour of skin. The colour of someone's skin should not in anyway affect the way others judge people.

Years
    Regardless of colour, origin or lifestyle, if they are an idiot, I can't stand them.

The one thing I hate about society is that if I say I don't like a white person, that is all fine. If I don't like a black person for the same reason, I am racist. Why?

How about the government stops concentrating on being politically correct and concentrate on more important issues.

And my thoughts on racism? Does it really matter? I ain't racist, but I don't like foren people coming into my home country, milking it for all it has with benefits and contributing NOTHING to the country.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    How do you decide when it is discrimination and when it's meeting quotas?
    How is there a difference?

Quotas WOULD be racist...

If minorities COULD be racist.

Because racism has been twisted to mean "The white majority oppressing X minority", there is really no way a minority can be racist.

Also...

Isn't the West awesome? Minorities can cry "RACISM!" over every little thing, but Koreans, who used to be told (By everything from the news to their textbooks) that they were inferior crap who should bow to the Japanese...

Gah, this is the shortcoming of Western society. We're too pampered.

Today, I was called racist because I burst out into a Temptations song.

...what? Isn't it more "racist" to NOT like the Temptations?

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I think most racism comes from anger being directed elsewhere. Maybe racists are so full of anger from something else, and they have nothing to take it out on, so they just hate whole races instead. It's like a coping mechanism.

Back