• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discord Feedback: RE: Audio Channel + Fan Game Category

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • RE: Audio Channel + Fan Game Category

This isn't so much my feedback as much as this was originally a suggestion in #server-suggestions:
    Kumquat 04/13/2020
    Ok so basically I think there should be a music chat , as a music hacker Ik there's romhacking but what about those who do it casually or remix? There's way too much activity in rom-hacking to even keep track of your song (assuming anybody sees it at all). Another potential is just for music fans in general to talk music they like or bring up a song they think others will like too. I rest my case

brickblock369 04/13/2020
    ^^^

Cube Croissant 04/13/2020
    I'm pretty sure that music stuff you do casually can be placed in #artist-studio

Kumquat 04/14/2020
    Idk man, the same issue i mentioned about music being ignored can easily be applied there too

Kumquat 04/14/2020
    And as I said, it would be easier if all discussion related to music can be in one channel rather than just saying to "put that in general" since that can really apply to any channel and yet again, can easily get lost in between the multiple conversations that tend to happen at the same time. So it would be easier if anything for those who care about music ,or just those who wanna mention music to just make a single music channel which in itself, makes things at the very least more organized when it comes to this subject rather than having to discuss music, post music hacking projects, and post casual music in different channels

Brom 04/14/2020
    I mean, Cube, I feel like that same logic can be applied to #writers-desk, but it's still a separate channel. (Also couldn't the sprites part of #mapping-and-sprites theoretically be made into the same channel with that logic? I mean sprites are closer than music are to illustrative/sketch art :thonk~2:)

Kumquat 04/14/2020
    ^

Brom 04/14/2020
    idk, I just feel like auditory arts and visual arts are in their own separate realms. I mean, I don't see the harm in having a dedicated place specifically for audio stuff. Also I feel in the fan game scene in general, you generally have more visual artists than musicians, so I feel it'd be more likely to have visual art oversaturate the channel compared to auditory art. I mean, I don't think it'd hurt to just try having one then getting rid of it if it just doesn't get used, but I feel like musicians in the fan game scene kinda get the shaft sometimes ig?
    At the moment, Moderoids are considering either:
    A) create an audio channel
    B) rebrand the mapping-and-sprites channel to #graphics-and-audio​
    but we of course - it's important to have the member base's input. what do y'all think? would y'all like a separate audio channel? (feel free to drop any other 2 cents y'all might have re: the fan game category as well)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I dropped my opinion on Discord, but since you made this thread I may as well post it here.
    In my opinion, mapping and sound are 2 very different categories when it comes to the creation of a ROM Hack or a FanGame, so it wouldn't feel okay to have a single channel for them. I think music/sound stuff should go in its own channel, so that's where my vote goes.

Years
  • People respect each others work enough to not overwhelm someone in the middle of giving/receiving feedback and people use pings liberally. If people wind up arguing and fighting over tunes/art and what would be discussed when, then keep them separate. I don't think there is enough music activity to justify its own channel.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    if they are combined in the same channel, then the audio discussion will easily get drowned out by the graphics discussion then, and little audio discussion will end up actually happening. i don't think it's an issue of respect, but it's just the way discord works.

also, we can't possibly know how much music activity there will be based on current info because there was never an audio channel to begin with, so there was never a space for audio in the first place.

i just don't really find the args against a separate audio channel that persuasive

unrelated feedback: the line between fangame-hub and rom-hacking is not very clear. people pop into rom-hacking asking about hacks rather than help for hacking. there's a bit of confusion here, and some clarity is needed

Brom

Partially Obstructed Egg
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I'm kinda under the impression that if there's a dedicated audio channel that there will naturally be more discussion about audio stuff now that there's a proper place for it. That's not to guarantee that there will be new discussion, but I don't see the harm in making a separate channel for audio, especially since there's not much overlap between visual arts and audio arts aside from them both being art.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    separate audio channel.

mapping and sprites have worked together well because they can both be viewed by people and iterated on quickly, but audio requires more time for both of these and won't be able to keep up.

prominent arguments against a separate audio channel have been that it'd be a slow channel, or that the server doesn't need more 'clutter'.

I don't see the first as a problem, like I said above it's actually what it needs. and I feel people are just saying this because they think slow = bad without any solid reasoning behind that.

and fraaaankly the second argument is dumb too, lol. The people saying it are directly equating more channels to clutter and are more concerned with how their sidebar looks than functionality, so again no solid reasoning. Something is only clutter when it doesn't serve a purpose, or doesn't serve it as well as something else you already/could have.

peace out ✌

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I agree with Lunos the audio ppl (i was writing b4 reading their posts), music for fan-games should have its own channel in the fan-games section because they have a different process than mapping and spriting when it comes to game design. Not to mention that most of the activity in #mapping-and-sprites goes to mapping itself which will lead to musicians going ignored because there aren't many musicians in PC either.

I don't agree with putting them in #artist-studio when it's fan-game related for the same reason sprites don't go there, they are part of the game design after all. Also when ppl show their stuff in the fan-game section they usually expect feedback, thing that rarely happens in the art channel because people just post there to showcase their stuff.

Last edited:
    Years
  • how would we feel about rebranding #mapping-and-sprites to #mapping-and-tilesets (as it originally was), and then adding #audio and #sprites (or #graphics)?

Years
  • how would we feel about rebranding #mapping-and-sprites to #mapping-and-tilesets (as it originally was), and then adding #audio and #sprites (or #graphics)?

i like this as a trial period of sorts. If it grows to dominate we can separate the sections.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    that could work, or another idea is to group tilesets and graphics together, making the setup #graphics-and-tilesets (with a more elegant name hopefully), #audio, and #mapping

i'm fine with either, though i'm kinda leaning towards making mapping its own thing because the process of creating maps is different from creating tilesets, at least from my limited knowledge

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    how would we feel about rebranding #mapping-and-sprites to #mapping-and-tilesets (as it originally was), and then adding #audio and #sprites (or #graphics)?

This seems like the best option imo; you're still gonna lose music discussion if you just combine it with an already fairly busy channel.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I only access PC Discord to see game-dev (to help and ask help about Essentials stuffs) and mapping channel to share my work and help other ppl. So I think it is a good idea:
    mapping-and-tilesets;
    audio-fan-games (also audio-ROM-Hack, IDK if they can be the same);
    sprites.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back