• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reading physical volumes or online?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Do you prefer reading your pokémon manga online, or do you buy the real volumes and magazines? Or maybe you do a bit of both with different manga titles?

Do you think everyone should buy the series or do you think it is okay and a decent thing to read online?

Please do not post links to online manga sites or sites that sell manga in this thread, just discuss the phenomena.

Sir Codin

I usually read PokeSpe and other Pokemon manga online because I'm a poor college student and I have no money.

I do have a few physical copies of PokeSpe, though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Me too, read online :< I guess I could buy volumes online, if I had that kind of money yeah. I would buy PokéSpe. But I think it's okay to read a bit online when just checking out a new manga, like when I wanted to see what RéBurst was about. It's kind of like just reading a teaser and getting more eager to buy the real thing.

Years
I prefer the physical volumes, but as I've got limited spending money and varied interests, I've only recently managed to collect 12 of the 14 volumes of the RBGY and GSC sagas, yet from that point I only have a pair of volumes from the middle of the DPPt arcs. Seeing as Viz only recently started releasing RSE, I suppose that lack of volumes after the end of GSC does make sense. It's also difficult to find the exact next volume I need for my collection, so I tend to have to skip around and buy the volumes out of order.

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
I have read all my Pokemon manga either online or at the library. But currently I have been reading the latest releases online since they are being translated faster on the website than they will be stocked in the library or stores.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
If it's a Pokémon manga I like and it has been published in English, I buy it. If it has not been officially translated and there's a scanlation, I read the scanlation. If the Pokémon manga has no official translation and I really like it I might even import the Japanese volume(s) / magazine(s).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I have read all my Pokemon manga either online or at the library. But currently I have been reading the latest releases online since they are being translated faster on the website than they will be stocked in the library or stores.
Oh, I really wish my local library had pokémon manga but I really don't think they do. If it gets translated into my language, I would be so very surprised.

Years
Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
As always the info on Bulba Rocks... Thanx so much by the way....
It's the least I can do since I raged at you about a week ago. Sorry about that by the way.

Back on topic:
A while ago VIZ released an iPad app named sticky DOT comic. So far they have released some Pokémon mangas via the app. Nothing exclusive though, just stuff that's already in print.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
I forgot to mention above that I actually will read online to fill in the gaps, but I eventually go out and buy the physical volumes so I can re-read them.

If you read online, it's all fine and dandy, but I do think you should probably buy the physical or digital volumes if they are available in your country and you actually like the series quite a bit.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Back on topic:
A while ago VIZ released an iPad app named sticky DOT comic. So far they have released some Pokémon mangas via the app. Nothing exclusive though, just stuff that's already in print.

That is simply awesome and I can only hope that they make the app for iPhones too. If they did, I would buy it.

Years
That is simply awesome and I can only hope that they make the app for iPhones too. If they did, I would buy it.

Not having an iPhone to verify this with, I do think that they did put out a Viz Comics app out for iOS that works on both devices, at least here in the US.

What I'm waiting on is a version of any of Viz's apps that's released for the Android platform.

If it only works for the iPad, Viz has made a dumb decision with their restriction of its usage.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I searched it on app store in my iPhone but didn't find any Viz things.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I read them physically, I buy them from Indigo. Money isn't a problem for me so I buy them. I also prefer reading physical copies than online. Online just seems meh, it just doesn't feel as enjoyable as it would be physically.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Physical for me. A long time ago, I ordered some Chuang Yi translations, and I eventually got the first 24 volumes. I haven't read further than those though (so I'm wayyy behind), but I plan to in the future.

Back