• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

REAL Punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    Wow, I just checked that punk rock club and it was pure pop. GC,SP,GD, they are all most deffentally pop.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    Punk rock got its name from the slang word punk meaning rotten and worthless. It was originally used to describe simple guitar based rock of bands like The Seeds, and later on Detroit bands like The Stooges and MC5. The anti-establishment ethic of punk hit a fevered pitch in 1976 through 1980, started partially as a backlash to the hippie movement of the late 60's. Many of these bands also intended to shock mainstream society, rejecting the "peace and love" image of the prior musical rebellion of the 1960s which had degenerated, punks thought, into mellow disco culture. The fashion Punk rock, gothic rock, industrial, hardcore punk, grunge, nu metal, thrash metal, gothic metal, new waveof the time included mohawks, body piercing with safety pins and conversion of unusual items into clothing and was very shocking to outsiders at the time. Punk rock embodied the ideals that anyone could start a punk rock band. Punk was stripped-down, three-chord music that could be played fairly easily. The lyrics introduced a new honesty of expression in matters both political and sexual freeing the artist to write in a more personal and honest way. Using cover songs as a ironic form of social commentary was a common theme among many artists. The emphasis in punk rock was placed on emotion and energy and not strictly musicianship. It's best known bands are the punk rock holy trinity of the Sex Pistols, The d?mned, and The Clash who many feel are the defining bands of the genre. The roots of punk rock were dark psychedelic and garage rock, glam rock, new wave music and the unusual and sporadic style of the immortal Velvet Underground, long thought to be the originators of punk rock. Later bands incorporated punk and ska elements which were largely unknown in the rock genre.
    Source

Punk... Meh.
    It's all about Metal! Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, & *coughMetallicacough*!

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Everytime I see:
    Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Avril Lavigne, Ashley Simpson

in a profile, I die a little inside.

You want real punk?!

Green Day
    The Ramones
    SEX PISTOLS
    Dropkick Murphies
    dead kennedies
    the misfits
    bad religin

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Your all getting confused with your music now, theres alot of diffrent styles of music, its just people get confused with what they actually are, I listen to proper Punk/SKA music, Like as Deathbyalive said, the Misfits ,Anti-Flag
    SEX Pistols, THE CLASH, SKA is bands like Dropkick Murphies with trumpets and cool stuff like that!

Bands like Thursday, MCR, Taking back sunday are EMO,
    and bands like, Green Day, Good charlotte, and blink 182s new stuff are soft rock,

Avril whats her name is just pop!

Now common guys, get that C.D player on and wack on some Pure Punk & SKA!

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    jasonresno said:
    Everytime I see:
    Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Avril Lavigne, Ashley Simpson

in a profile, I die a little inside.

You want real punk?!

Green Day
    The Ramones
    SEX PISTOLS
    Dropkick Murphies
    dead kennedies
    the misfits
    bad religin

Green Day is NOT punk! How many times do I have to tell you, it's alternative!

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    What, i'm getting along with them. I just stated that Green Day is not punk. This was not ment to start an arguement. If it does, then it's not my fault.

Ryuki

Master Of Water & Ice
    Years
    deathbyalice said:
    Okay you guys. Many of you have been posting stuff:

Sorry to tell you this, but NONE of that stuff is punk. Thursday is NOT punk, stuff like that is pop music that are tryying to emulate punk without actually getting into the detail of it all.

REAL punk bands are:
    The Misfits
    The Exploted
    Anti-Flag
    SEX Pistols

And I doubt any of you actually listen to stuff like that, if you do, then tell me, that would be cool.

I completely agree with you. I love the sex pistols! And why didn't you put bad religion!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    THANK YOU deathbyalice! All his crap about Good Charlotte being punk, and GREEN DAY? O_o I mean come on! They really are soft rock at best to be honset. Sex Pistols, The Clash, any anarchic band who develops their anarchy in their music with heavy guitar rhythms is punk. Green Day aren't anarchic, not by a long shot compared to the Sex Pistols *Listens to Anarchy in the UK*

[Technya]

Chick in riot gear!
    Years
    Dang about time someone had a list of real punk bands. deathbyalice is right GC, GD and all those other bands are ALTERNATIVE real punk sounds nothing like what those bands sound like. I don't listen to punk but I can certainly say I have heard some punk bands and those mentioned by deathbyalice are punk.

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    Ryuki said:
    I completely agree with you. I love the sex pistols! And why didn't you put bad religion!
    I just listed some examples of real punk band, I know that there are lots of other punk bands out there. lol, those were just the first ones that came to my head.

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    Ok, lets get this straight. I hate GC blink 182 and bands like that, but they are not soft rock. Soft rock is stuff like Maroon 5 and John Meyer.

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    Scyther5 said:
    Ok, lets get this straight. I hate GC blink 182 and bands like that, but they are not soft rock. Soft rock is stuff like Maroon 5 and John Meyer.
    lol, I don't like them either...I just normally classify them as "bad music"

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
    Mr Cat Dog said:
    THANK YOU deathbyalice! All his crap about Good Charlotte being punk, and GREEN DAY? O_o I mean come on! They really are soft rock at best to be honset. Sex Pistols, The Clash, any anarchic band who develops their anarchy in their music with heavy guitar rhythms is punk. Green Day aren't anarchic, not by a long shot compared to the Sex Pistols *Listens to Anarchy in the UK*

Dear god, I love how people hate when they are wrong. Check back three or four years, listen to 1039/smoothed out slappy hours. These guys are the best PUNK BAND coming out of the Nirvana era. They are gods among men. They are real punk.

You guys need to get off of the MTV/fads and listen to real music. And yes Green Day did have a song on MTV (blvd of broken dreams) and that is very unfortunate. It totally blinds people of how punk they really are. so stop watching MTV, listen to dookie, kerplunk, 1039 and than realize how wrong you are.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    That is it...we are taking a vote...Now lets actually talk about the punk bands instead of having a fight thread.

Now alice, NICK is right you better go add the clash to you list cause they are the best british punk band ever! Of course it is the only british punk band i have heard of but still..they rock.

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
    As I said earlier, those are just SOME punk bands. I never said the Clash wasn't a punk band, and they are. I just listed the first couple that came to my head. I know there are many other punk bands.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back