• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religious beliefs?

Religious affiliations/beliefs?

• Total voters

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I'm an atheist but I respect everyones religious views. Its not like I tell people "there is no god" or anything like that. People are free to worship what they want.

That is all...

Years
    Somewhere between evangelical christian and atheist. I have started to doubt things in recent years, but when thinking about death... It just can't be that you just cease to exist, there must be something...

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Islam, though I am not that religious, I'll admit. My parents are big on it, though. xD

I believe in Muhammad, Jesus, Moses, etc. I pray usually 2 times a day out of 5. =/ Eh... embarrassing. ;;

Years
    I don't even know what I believe in anymore. Religion isn't something I typically think about these days, so yeah... .___.;

For the longest time, I attended Christian church. Baptized Catholic, eventually converted over to Protestantism when my mom re-married. When we were overseas, we just went to a general Protestant service; when we lived in the States, we'd attend the United Methodist Church, the church my stepdad belongs to.

I've nothing against Christianity, it's just... I don't like going to church, and I'm not 100% sure it's for me anymore.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    I don't believe in any god, so I'm simply not religious.
    There are many religious stories of million types of gods, why chose one.
    Simply, there is not a single proven story about which one is real.
    And the whole sinning system is asinine. God is suppose to treat his children equally. So why send one to Hell and one to Heaven when he should send them both to heaven.
    My only belief is when you die, your afterlife is to wander the Earth as a spirit.

I could get in a giant, million word post about how religion is a sham.
    But I won't, as this is my belief.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I identify with atheism but, really, I'm more apathetic than everything.

It's not that I don't believe in a higher power, it's just... I really don't care if there is one or not. :/ That and I personally feel that if there is a higher power, they really don't care or pay enough attention to humans anyway, so I doubt he/she/it would notice if people were praying to him/her/it. *shrug*

I respect when people are religious so long as it isn't forced on me. But I've no interest in any of it myself. Maybe that'll change in the future but for now, I've no religious affiliation.

Except Lightningism. 8)

That sums up my thoughts on it entirely.

Except the religion I do follow wasn't listed :( Why the heck isn't Lightningism listed there? Gosh you noobs get with it!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    I've always grown up in a very religious household, my mother being a proud Roman Catholic.
    I was christened at a young age in the Church of England as this was what my father wanted, [even though he was Roman Catholic himself].
    I made Holy Communion/was confirmed at the age of eight. [Younger than usual]

For most of my early years I followed the Christian religion. I was taught about it in school, my mother would talk about it to me and I would go to church regularly every Sunday.
    I even sought solace in the faith after something went wrong in my life.

However, as years went on I started to doubt the teachings and what I was doing. It made little sense to me anymore and I just couldn't believe as I used to.
    I decided that as I wasn't following the faith and that my heart wasn't really in it, I shouldn't go to church anymore seeing as what I would be saying there would not be what I really believed.

But, apparently I'm not allowed to have a choice in my religion until I'm sixteen. So I continue/am forced to go to church although it means nothing to me at all.
    The house I live in now is heavily religious. There are icons in most rooms and the music is often played. I am given religious presents by people from the church. I recently received a rosary from my mother. Instead of praying with it, I just wear it for the way it looks.

I try to distance myself from the religion as much as I can but it's pretty much smothering me here.

I have nothing against other religions, and sometimes I believe there is something up there other than clouds but I've yet to find a religion that has truly made sense to me. I don't need to look for one, I mean, if it's meant to be I'll find it later in life at the right time. I would like to belong to something, even if it's atheism instead of a God following religion.

tl;dr: Used to believe, now don't but has it forced on me anyway.

blaze_the_cat

Entire team is babies!
    Years
    Pastafarian must be added!

In all serious, i have no idea.

I dont think there is a god, but i dont want to be wrong and be sentenced to Hell for all time.

I want to believe that we will go to a dimension of our choice. Wouldnt it be great if after you died you could go into the dimension of your favourite tv show, make friends with the characters, romance the one your like.

Or even to the world of pokemon, to live your dreams for all eternity.

Sad, isnt it, that we will most likely just be sucked into oblivion.

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
    Well, I guess I'd better start with my parents. My dad grew up in a Mormon family, and although not being overly religious, he still maintains many of the values and stuff. My mum was raised in an athiest family with hints of spiritualism and the usual Christian values of the time (they didn't believe, but they still did everything Christians did in terms of Christmas, not working on Sundays... all that stuff). My first stepdad was from a Moravian (a branch of Protestant Christian that is much stricter than usual) family and upbringing, though he was completely athiest himself, and very much looked down on those of religions. My current stepfather comes from a strict Catholic upbringing, and his family are all still involved in that, and at one point I think he was going to go into the Church himself, but I'm not totally sure. Now he is closer to Taoist, with hints of spiritualism and new age things in there as well, the same with my mum though she leans towards Buddhism instead of Taoism. I don't know about my exstepmum, but my current stepmum is a devout Christian, and verges on patronising with it.

So as you can tell, I have a fair mix of influences... plus the history of my country (Northern Ireland) which basically pushed me as far from religion as possible as a child - I didn't see how people could commit such awful acts for religion. Now I know that religion is more of an excuse as such, but still, it turned me away from ever wanting to become like that.

I'm not sure what I would call my beliefs to be honest (I selected Other in the poll). I don't believe in a specific god, nor do I even believe in a Being outside of what we know. I believe that each of us has the power to control the world - obviously not like 'Oh hey, let's make an earthquake in Asia' or 'Let's cure AIDS', it's pretty obvious that we can't do that. But I think that we have so much control over how we percieve things that we are controlling the world. One person may see on the news that there's a devestating earthquake and stuff and say 'Oh no, it's a sign that 2012 is going to happen, the world is going to end, I may as well just die now' (a bit extreme, but you get my point), whereas another person may see it as a reminder to be grateful and to help others and stuff.

So yeah, basically I don't believe in God or any other deity. As for the whole death thing, I believe our souls move into a new form - reincarnation.
    That's a very brief summary of my beliefs, but if anyone has questions, I'd love to answer them :3 So yeah... 'Other' religion ftw.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm a Baptist. Totally wasn't listed, but it falls under Protestant so wuteva. I'll admit, I ain't the best. I also don't think I have to sit here and force it down everyone's throats. It's like being a salesman or something. I just don't like that. However, I do love mission trips and I'm going on my third one this June. Gonna shut up now mkay.

Ayselipera

As of now I have no religious affiliation. I don't follow any of them, but I don't knock out the idea that any of them aren't possible. That being said I'm not against any of them and I think it's fine if you follow a religion. I just don't like when others force them on me.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    It's funny how many people are the opposite of the situation they were raised in. Many people were raised religious but ended up or nearly ended up atheist, and then some people like myself are raised in areas with little religious devotion and end up very religious (I didn't grow up in Utah, mind you). Just goes to show the parents might not have so much influence after all.

PuNkSter

Typhlosion is on fire!
    Years
    I'm Christian. I go to church and all. I do believe in God. But sometimes I don't. I have lot's of questions about religion that I don't really consider myself as a true Christian. I'm kind of in between. It's better to believe in something than nothing.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Raised Roman Catholic. I'm certainly not well-read in the theology by any means. I dunno, I think I keep it simple; I believe most of the Apostles' Creed. And I like tradition. I like all the unnecessary specialness of the sacraments. lol Large meals are usually involved.

So, I believe in God. Got no problems if others believe in other gods, or multiple, or same god but in a different religion, or no god at all. Whatever you want. Just seems simpler for me to believe that there is a greater being, than not. XD

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I am a pantheist, which I'm assuming no one here has heard of, but it essentially means I believe in a God without a face/personality/intentions.
    Do you feel a deep sense of peace and belonging and wonder in the midst of Nature, in a forest, by the ocean, or on a mountain top? Are you speechless with awe when you look up at the sky on a clear moonless night and see the Milky Way strewn with stars as thick as sand on a beach? When you see breakers crashing on a rocky shore, or hear wind rustling in a poplar's leaves, are you uplifted by the energy and creativity of existence?
    ^Basically that's "God" to me, although the site explains it in a different/more strict way than I really identify by. To me it seems like a sort of spiritual unorganised atheism, but I could be thinking too simply. I like it though. =]

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I'm an agnostic-atheist.

I just never understood how people could believe things like religion.

Back