• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reminder: Free Windows 10 Upgrade ends July 29th...

Years
    Reminder: Free Windows 10 Upgrade ends July 29th...

Just a reminder for those who have not upgraded yet...

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    Eh, I think that by now, everyone who wanted to upgrade already did so.

I don't see the need to upgrade, so I won't now either. At least I'm glad I managed to get rid of the annoying pop-ups/balloons constantly telling me I should upgrade.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
    Years
    I cannot wait until this shit is over. It's been bugging me at work for a year and we are not allowed to upgrade to it. I have it at home and it's fine but you know businesses..

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    O maybe I should do it fast... I sorta like windows 7 though, although I'm sure support will stop someday :/

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    I'm still contemplating on updating. I've got a backup made though if anything were to fail, but I've stayed on 8.1 after my initial experiences with 10. :/

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
    Ooh, I had no idea the offer was ending. I have stuff to grab from my old computer after it fried and the hard drive is only compatible with Windows 10 so I may as well upgrade, perhaps I'll do it tonight if I can while I sleep.

Thanks a ton for the reminder!! ^^

Years
    Ooh, I had no idea the offer was ending. I have stuff to grab from my old computer after it fried and the hard drive is only compatible with Windows 10 so I may as well upgrade, perhaps I'll do it tonight if I can while I sleep.

Thanks a ton for the reminder!! ^^
    How is the hard drive only compatible with Windows 10, if I may ask? If you get an external HDD dock, or dock it alongside your current HDD in your desktop, it should be able to read the files as long as it's formatted to a format that Windows recognizes. (and chances are, it's formatted to NTFS if you have a Windows 10 install on it)

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
    How is the hard drive only compatible with Windows 10, if I may ask? If you get an external HDD dock, or dock it alongside your current HDD in your desktop, it should be able to read the files as long as it's formatted to a format that Windows recognizes. (and chances are, it's formatted to NTFS if you have a Windows 10 install on it)

Hmm, I don't really know, just what my dad told me. ovo' I think he said that it had been formatted so it was only for Windows 10 but if what you said's the case, that's pretty cool. ^^ I'm not actually entirely sure what it's formatted to but it's likely NTFS.
    We've actually had to transfer files from that hard drive twice, there's a cord that we plug into the hard drive and it plugs into a USB slot from there. Not too too sure since it was a really old computer (I believe from like 2000) that I had previously with that hard drive, ahaha. I'll definitely look into it.. though even if we can get stuff transferred I might just end up switching to 10 anyway, looks lots cleaner.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
    Years
    Hmm, I don't really know, just what my dad told me. ovo' I think he said that it had been formatted so it was only for Windows 10 but if what you said's the case, that's pretty cool. ^^ I'm not actually entirely sure what it's formatted to but it's likely NTFS.
    We've actually had to transfer files from that hard drive twice, there's a cord that we plug into the hard drive and it plugs into a USB slot from there. Not too too sure since it was a really old computer (I believe from like 2000) that I had previously with that hard drive, ahaha. I'll definitely look into it.. though even if we can get stuff transferred I might just end up switching to 10 anyway, looks lots cleaner.

Yeah, a hard drive should work with any windows/linux operating system.

Years
    win10 uses NTFS file system but i wouldnt want to use win10 again as i beta tested it when it was only available to win insiders (which im part of that program) and seen it was terrible very buggy and those in the insider program told Microsoft that win10 was not yet ready to be released to the public due to all the bugs but what do they do they release the damned OS anyways with the bugs and nearly a year later the bugs are still present till this very day after 29th comes if i want to "upgrade i could just use my stuff from the win insider program to get me a copy but i doubt i will even do that even some former microsoft employees say you should stay away from win10 and stick on win 8.1 or 7

Years
    Windows betas are often quite buggy. Chances are the release Windows 10 is much more stable than its beta, especially since there are now officially drivers released for it.

I won't be upgrading, myself. 8.1 and 7 are fine on the machines I have them on, and those machines will probably reach EOL before extended support for either OS drops.

I cannot wait until this shit is over. It's been bugging me at work for a year and we are not allowed to upgrade to it. I have it at home and it's fine but you know businesses..

IT time lost due to repairing user-installed Windows 10 upgrades, time that could have been spent on other problems that should be much higher on the priority list, is a big reason not to allow end-users to upgrade.

Application compatibility is another big reason not to upgrade. And then the time needed to devote to retraining end-users to use Windows 10. From a business IT department's perspective, it's simpler and easier to either clean install through mass image deployment or just move to it with a new hardware rollout.

Years
    Windows betas are often quite buggy. Chances are the release Windows 10 is much more stable than its beta, especially since there are now officially drivers released for it.

I won't be upgrading, myself. 8.1 and 7 are fine on the machines I have them on, and those machines will probably reach EOL before extended support for either OS drops.

IT time lost due to repairing user-installed Windows 10 upgrades, time that could have been spent on other problems that should be much higher on the priority list, is a big reason not to allow end-users to upgrade.

Application compatibility is another big reason not to upgrade. And then the time needed to devote to retraining end-users to use Windows 10. From a business IT department's perspective, it's simpler and easier to either clean install through mass image deployment or just move to it with a new hardware rollout.

acutally the sound driver and start menu bugs that where in win10 are still present in regular builds i cant remember what other bugs as well

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
    As a linux user watching from the sidelines, this whole win10 thing sucks, and I kinda wish M$ would start rolling releases.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
    Years

Oh I understand completely. I just wish it was easier to disable the notice completely. Its been annoying me for a year D;

Years
    As a linux user watching from the sidelines, this whole win10 thing sucks, and I kinda wish M$ would start rolling releases.
    im a win 7 user also some mac but not that much though but another thing that sucks that i am not sure if it has been said in here but win10 does not care what other operating systems u have it will overwrite the mbr where only win10 boots and if the computer has uefi it will block any other os from being installed unless you have uefi disabled

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
    I upgraded a few weeks ago and to my disbelief, I'm actually really enjoying Windows 10.

Windows 8 just feels stupid now that I've used 10 for a while.

Last edited:
    Years
    Not necessarily, many Linux distros are becoming EFI-friendly. I have a triboot on my laptop that has EFI, not legacy BIOS, and all three of my OSes work - 10, which was preinstalled, 7, and Ubuntu 16.04. If it does overwrite the MBR, it's probably just adding a new entry, just head into your BIOS settings and you should be able to correct that quickly.

When I upgraded my version of Windows 10 in the last major update, it re-prioritized the Windows 10 bootloader and locked me out of GRUB so I couldn't boot into Linux, but a quick reboot into the BIOS settings allowed me to take the Windows Bootloader and move it down so that GRUB had priority and allowed me to use GRUB to select the Windows Bootloader and start Windows that way.
    i only had one laptop that supported UEFI but that one got shelved when the graphics chip started to fail and the processor sucked as well (AMD e-series)(got laptop for free)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    Oh, it's still available? I thought it was expired since the end of June? Hmmm. To update my other laptop or not.....Nah, I'll stick with Windows 7 on it. I don't go online with it anyway, so it's all the one.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm not too hugh on Windows 10. I have it, but only boot to my Linux install, because it's just so much faster. Win10 also likes to act weird at times and let's not forget the nonexistence of a good updating tool.
    Problem is, as a Linux user, using a Rolling Release model doesn't bother you as much, because you're aware that you have to fix problems yourself. Now, imagine MS pulls a RR on its entire userbase, which is hugh and consists of people who don't know anything about computers. As soon as something comes up, hell'll break lose, because those people don't know how to fix stuff.

Sir Codin

Every attempt I've made towards upgrading from 8.1 has resulting in my computer getting so fucked up that I bounce back to an 8.1 restore point. And no, my computer doesn't suck, so obviously W10 is a terrible operating system. I don't want to live through Vista ever again.

Back