• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I have come into the ownership of a Modest Raikou, HP fighting with a decent Special Attack IV (28). What can I do with him to make him most effective? I was thinking:

Raikou @ ?
    Modest
    252 SpAT/252 Spe/4HP
    -Shockwave
    -Shadow Ball
    -?
    -?

Thanks for any help! I'm a complete newbie at this x.x
    Try this Raikou set, it's honestly better with a Timid nature though.

Raikou @ Leftovers
    Nature : Modest
    EV : 68 HP / 116 SpA / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Calm Mind

Or something like this could work as well

Raikou @ Life Orb
    Nature : Modest
    EV : 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - HP [Ice] / HP [Fighting]

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Its been a long time since I played the Pokemon games I have. And I have 1 main question for breeding-
    How do you IV breed?

And one more question-
    I want to start EV the Regi's. What are good Natures for them?

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
    Oops sorry about that d_a

For MixNite can I use Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor? I don't have the tutor in my game.
    Also, how does SpecsNite compare to MixNite?

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2017
    Koopa-hi everyone. I am thinking of a good 3 way Double Battle Pokemon team for the Battle Frontier and for some Wi-Fi Battles. Surprisingly, I was gonna pick Charizard but the Pokemon and Typhlosion have the exact same stats. So I picked Typhlosion since it's more reliable.

Here they are.

Typhlosion
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
    Held Item: Life Orb

Eruption
    Heat Wave
    Solarbeam
    Protect

Yep, this is the big and bad Typhlosion we all know of. You might be thinking that it's silly to have 2 fire type attacks on my team, right? Well, that's because you don't know how this Pokemon works.

The first and priority move is Eruption, it can hit BOTH Pokemon very hard. It might even OHKO both Pokemon that aren't Water, Rock or Dragon types.

Heat Wave is another move which is good if Typhlosion took some damage. It's almost the same as Eruption, but a bit less power and have a chance of burning the opponent.

Now Solarbeam is an unpredictive move somehow when the sun is shining brightly. You don't need a Power Herb for it and again, really powerful.

Protect is a common move in Doubles to stall for a turn. A good chance for me to set up.

Azelf
    Nature: Jolly
    EV's: 252 HP/186 Sp.Def/66 Speed
    Held Item: Focus Sash

Sunny Day
    Skill Swap
    Taunt
    Explosion

This Azelf is a fall supporter which can help Typhlosion and Slaking in battle.

First one is Sunny Day for Typhlosion and Explosion to do even MORE damage.

Skill Swap is for the Slaking which'll drop off his Traunt ability and put it on his Pokemon. I hope that'll help me in Doubles.

Taunt is for stopping Pokemon setting up Rain Dance or Status problems to shake off problems. Like Togekiss and Umbreon for example.

Explosion is used when Azelf can't hold on any longer. Typhlosion or even Slaking will Protect and Azelf will go off in a BANG to do some colossus damage.

Slaking
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 252 Atk/4 Def/248 Speed
    Held Item: Leftovers

Return
    Fire Punch
    Earthquake
    Protect

This is another huge and dangerous sweeper in this team which'll also do alot of damage. This Pokemon is useful for teaming up with my supporting Azelf. When Traunt's gone, look out world!

Return is used for well, STAB sweeping. It can almost OHKO any Pokemon (excluding the type disadvantadges if it has a chance).

Fire Punch is used when Sunny Day is up and running for more damage.

Earthquake is to break apart Rock, Electric and Steel type Pokemon.

And finally, Protect is used when Azelf is about to explode. It even sits there without a scratch.

Well, that is my trio team for the Double Frontier Battles. Please tell me what you think of it. Is it perfect? Does it need some improvments? Could've thought better? It's all down to you. Please reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Rate these sets, I'm considering using them on a team I'm doing.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
    Timid nature
    Adapability ability
    EVs: 6 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
    -Hyper Beam
    -Dark Pulse
    -Psychic
    -Tri Attack
    Trick Attack for STAB or Hyper Beam if I can afford to commit suicide and want to kill something in one hit.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Timid nature
    -Calm Mind
    -Aura Sphere
    -Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball (which one?)
    -HP Electric

Special Luke sweeper set, HP Electric to stop Gyara in its tracks.

My lead:
    Ambipom @ Focus Sash
    Jolly nature
    Technician ability
    EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
    -Fake Out
    -Double Hit
    -Agility
    -Baton Pass

Why did I use Double Hit > Return? To break Subs of course! Fake Out+STAB+Technician = Perfect Sash nulifier.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    would this be a good moveset for Porygon Z?

nasty plot
    substitute
    Tri Attack
    Recover/Psychic

i already know that Modest is the best nature, but just checking the moveset

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    would this be a good moveset for Porygon Z?

nasty plot
    substitute
    Tri Attack
    Recover/Psychic

i already know that Modest is the best nature, but just checking the moveset

Timid is actually the preferred nature. Only use Modest on a Choice Scarf set.

For that set use Dark Pulse > Psychic for hitting Ghosts who are immune to Tri Attack.

A better set would be:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Tri Attack
    -Dark Pulse
    -Psychic / Hyper Beam

Psyhic for hitting enemy Fightings or Hyper Beam for a deadly suicide move.

If you must use Modest try:
    Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
    Adapdability
    -Hyper Beam
    -Tri Attack
    -Dark Pulse
    -Psyhic / Focus Blast / HP Fighting

Focus Blast may be good for hitting Steels or HP Fighting if you're willing to sacrafice power for accuracy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    Timid is actually the preferred nature. Only use Modest on a Choice Scarf set.

For that set use Dark Pulse > Psychic for hitting Ghosts who are immune to Tri Attack.

A better set would be:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Tri Attack
    -Dark Pulse
    -Psychic / Hyper Beam

Psyhic for hitting enemy Fightings or Hyper Beam for a deadly suicide move.

If you must use Modest try:
    Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
    Adapdability
    -Hyper Beam
    -Tri Attack
    -Dark Pulse
    -Psyhic / Focus Blast / HP Fighting

Focus Blast may be good for hitting Steels or HP Fighting if you're willing to sacrafice power for accuracy.
    i only have a regular porygon, its modest so im sticking with that. I think hyper beam would be a bad move if i have Tri Attack since their both Normal Type moves. the modest moveset i kinda like apart from the hyper beam
    What item does the Porygon-z hold? and what are it's EV's?
    i want to give it Full EV's in Special Attack, and EV's in HP and Speed

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    i only have a regular porygon, its modest so im sticking with that. I think hyper beam would be a bad move if i have Tri Attack since their both Normal Type moves. the modest moveset i kinda like apart from the hyper beam

i want to give it Full EV's in Special Attack, and EV's in HP and Speed

Modest pretty much limits you to a Choice Scarf set.

Hyper Beam is a great move if you can afford to sacrafice Porygon-Z (please evolve it).
    Hyper Beam is a 150 BP Special move off the highest non-Uber Special Attack stat in the game and Adapdability increases the STAB multiplier from 1.5x to 2.0x, meaning Hyper Beam instantly kills anything not Ghost type or named Aggron, Bastiodon, or Blissey.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    Modest pretty much limits you to a Choice Scarf set.

Hyper Beam is a great move if you can afford to sacrafice Porygon-Z (please evolve it).
    Hyper Beam is a 150 BP Special move off the highest non-Uber Special Attack stat in the game and Adapdability increases the STAB multiplier from 1.5x to 2.0x, meaning Hyper Beam instantly kills anything not Ghost type or named Aggron, Bastiodon, or Blissey.
    but the only bad thing is that it would be a 1 for 1, take down one pokemon just to get hit by Close Combat or something, but if i do live, then i can take another. i might go with it

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    but the only bad thing is that it would be a 1 for 1, take down one pokemon just to get hit by Close Combat or something, but if i do live, then i can take another. i might go with it

It's best to use when Pory isn't useful anymore and you just want to go out in style.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    Is this good for a bulky Salamence?
    Jolly nature
    EV: 252 HP 112 Spd 156 Spe
    Leftovers

Dragon claw
    Roost
    Earthquake
    Dragon dance

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    Rate these sets, I'm considering using them on a team I'm doing.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
    Timid nature
    Adapability ability
    -Hyper Beam
    -Dark Pulse
    -Psychic
    -Tri Attack
    Trick Attack for STAB or Hyper Beam if I can afford to commit suicide and want to kill something in one hit.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Timid nature
    -Calm Mind
    -Aura Sphere
    -Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball (which one?)
    -HP Electric

Special Luke sweeper set, HP Electric to stop Gyara in its tracks.

My lead:
    Ambipom @ Focus Sash
    Jolly nature
    Technician ability
    EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
    -Fake Out
    -Double Hit
    -Agility
    -Baton Pass

Why did I use Double Hit > Return? To break Subs of course! Fake Out+STAB+Technician = Perfect Sash nulifier.

The reason not using Hyper Beam is that anything can set up on you while you're recharging ( you wont like it when NPMixape sets up on you freely and sweeps ).

Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball have the same coverage but different effect, since Lucario isnt really fast, it needs Shadow ball more than Dark pulse as the SpD drop is better than the flinch rate for most of the time on this Lucario. HP Electric wont be helpful really and you cant afford losing Lucario's special priority ; Vacuum Wave =(

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Registeel in OU?! What?!

This idea was actually kinda stolen after I battled Ooka's ice team :P

Registeel@Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    252 HP/126 DEF/ 126 SpD
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

Yes. I use this set in OU. Needless to say, it's working wonders for me. With SR+Spikes support along with Sandstorm in play the whole time, Steel becomes the best wall. The HP of the sub is pretty high up and with protect, it stays a turn longer then it would. This may seem like a turn wasted but keep in mind that all the while, the opponent is being hit by SS while Steel is recovering with Leftovers. Steel's offense is really bad though. However, with Ice Punch and Earthquake, it has pretty good coverage over most pokemon. Earthquake with its huge base power will typically 2HKO pokes, if not OHKO with all the help going on. Ice Punch will be able to OHKO Flying/Dragon types, i.e. Salamence, after SR/Spikes/SS damage. With these two moves, Steel will be hitting most for at least neutral damage. Though Steel can be used decently on offense, its main use is to stall, stall, and stall again so the opponent picks up residual damage. Your opponent will most likely try to switch in a fire type. All you can do here is pray to Arceus that it isn't Heatran as you will must likely be dead within two turns. Unless you can stall long enough, but Heatran's typing prevents SS's effect on it so... Switch out :P

So you can kinda understand Steel's role more I have:
    Hippowdon < Lead/Sandstorm/Stealth Rock
    Forretress < Spikes/Rapid Spinner
    Gligar < Pure Baton Passer
    Metagross < Baton Pass Receiver/Wall/Tank
    Magnezone < Steel Killer

Hippowdon will set up the whole game for me. With Ice Fang and Slack Off, you can bet it'll be annoying the opponent. Don't forget it's huge Def and HP(both have EVs invested in). Forretress will add even more to the residual damage. If I have the chance to set up 3 Spikes, then Salamence will KO upon the switch in :D Gligar will find some random poke to switch in on. It has Sand Veil along with Yache Beryy :D :D Anyways, it'll Rock Polish and SD up and then... PASS TO METAGROSS. Now you have to deal with a huge Wall and Tank. Metagross also has a moveset which I will not reveal... however, let me say it will take down those annoying Gyarados, Starmie, and even Scizor. Magnezone can deal with Gyarados, etc. should I not have the chance to BP to Metagross. Either way, this team is pretty buff if I say so ^^,

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011

Registeel@Leftovers
    252 HP/126 DEF/ 126 SpD
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

Yes. I use this set in OU. Needless to say, it's working wonders for me. With SR+Spikes support along with Sandstorm in play the whole time, Steel becomes the best wall. The HP of the sub is pretty high up and with protect, it stays a turn longer then it would. This may seem like a turn wasted but keep in mind that all the while, the opponent is being hit by SS while Steel is recovering with Leftovers. Steel's offense is really bad though. However, with Ice Punch and Earthquake, it has pretty good coverage over most pokemon. Earthquake with its huge base power will typically 2HKO pokes, if not OHKO with all the help going on. Ice Punch will be able to OHKO Flying/Dragon types, i.e. Salamence, after SR/Spikes/SS damage. With these two moves, Steel will be hitting most for at least neutral damage. Though Steel can be used decently on offense, its main use is to stall, stall, and stall again so the opponent picks up residual damage. Your opponent will most likely try to switch in a fire type. All you can do here is pray to Arceus that it isn't Heatran as you will must likely be dead within two turns. Unless you can stall long enough, but Heatran's typing prevents SS's effect on it so... Switch out :P

Magnezone < Steel Killer

Hippowdon will set up the whole game for me. With Ice Fang and Slack Off, you can bet it'll be annoying the opponent. Don't forget it's huge Def and HP(both have EVs invested in). Forretress will add even more to the residual damage. If I have the chance to set up 3 Spikes, then Salamence will KO upon the switch in :D Gligar will find some random poke to switch in on. It has Sand Veil along with Yache Beryy :D :D Anyways, it'll Rock Polish and SD up and then... PASS TO METAGROSS. Now you have to deal with a huge Wall and Tank. Metagross also has a moveset which I will not reveal... however, let me say it will take down those annoying Gyarados, Starmie, and even Scizor. Magnezone can deal with Gyarados, etc. should I not have the chance to BP to Metagross. Either way, this team is pretty buff if I say so ^^,

Woah. That's one of the best teams I've seen in a while. Nothing else said. :D

Anti

return of the king
    Years

Registeel@Leftovers
    252 HP/126 DEF/ 126 SpD
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

Magnezone < Steel Killer

Well first of all, basically every special attacker in existence forces you to sacrifice something lol. Gyarados easily can get in a Dragon Dance and sweep you. Since you were in denial on the server I'd be happy to explain how it does this. Adamant max Speed Gyarados (the slowest DDer you're going to find that carries Earthquake) gets 391 Speed after a Dragon Dance. Timid 252 Speed Choice Scarf Magnezone gets 360 Speed. In other words, you're going to get outsped, and I'm pretty sure your set isn't even the Scarfer since you lectured me on Magnet Rise, even though Gyarados is faster and will KO with Earthquake anyway lol. The best part is that this "great wall" Registeel is the perfect set-up fodder for Gyarados to sweep your team. And yes, it blows through Metagross.

Back to special attackers, Starmie goes completely unchecked, and you basically have to hope that Mag is still alive to take a Surf or Hydro Pump so it can KO with Thunderbolt, but any Starmie user is smart enough to switch and just bring Starmie in later to crush you. Heatran, particularly those with Substitute, easily run over your team. SpecsTran's biggest counter literally is Fire Blast's accuracy and PP. And yes, it's faster than everything bar Gligar (don't you mean GLISCOR lol ?_?), so you can't do a whole lot to it unless Metagross is in with Speed passed, in which case *Metagross counter* will come in and wall you to hell anyway.

But as for the same itself, it's insane set-up fodder. And truthfully, you could run that with any SS-immune Pokemon in the game. Actually, Metagross is a much better choice since its Earthquakes and Ice Punches do more than 2 damage. Speaking of which, it's some obvious insane theorymon to suggest that Earthquake will 2HKO most things around...are you serious? Swampert's Earthquakes (which have STAB and come off of 110 base Attack) hardly do any damage. Ice Punch isn't even going to OHKO Salamence and other Dragons, and bulky Pokemon weak to it like Celebi take basically nothing.

tl;dr: Registeel versus common team types:

Against offensive teams, this won't be able to set up and you will be overwhelmed quite quickly.

Against stall teams, they will just send in Skarmory or Forretress, Spike the field, block your Rapid Spin once Registeel flees, and wall your entire team with Rotom-A or even Spiritomb or Sucknoir if it's WiFi. And since you have no offense or no Spin blocker of your own, stall will quite easily wear you down. And yes, Skarmory does carry Shed Shell a lot.

Against balanced, Registeel is just going to be stalled out. Even Earthquake doesn't hurt even Blissey much at all. In fact, it does this --> [186 Atk vs 130 Def & 714 HP (100 Base Power): 103 - 122 (14.43% - 17.09%)]. 17% max damage...oh no! The best part is that Blissey is faster. So you have basically no chance to beat it lol. And that's not even the physical wall.

Against rain, SS goes out the window and Hippowdon dies the second it tries to do something about it. Registeel is easily 2HKOed by STAB Rain boosted Surfs and Earthquake does nothing to Rain Dance sweepers not named Kabutops. So yes, they can set up on Regisetupfodder.

So no, your set won't work. Normally I don't go into so much detail and elaboration but since most of the stuff you said on the server was ridiculous/not true (Gyarados takes 50% from Stealth Rock? yeah okay), I figured I'd explain why this is pretty terrible. Since virtually every type of team mows it down, there isn't any point in using it.

PS: Salamence is immune to Spikes, so getting 3 layers won't mean it is knocked out coming in, lol. In fact, even if it was hit by Spikes, it would only lose 25% of its health, 50% with Stealth Rock.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010

Registeel@Leftovers
    252 HP/126 DEF/ 126 SpD
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

Magnezone < Steel Killer

Well Registeel isnt only a good pokemon in UU, it can function well in OU.

why Gligar ? its an Inferior Gliscor and loses faster than Gliscor does, and Gliscor can gurrantee you to pass its boosts to Metagross . or are you trying to let people lol at your gligar =P ?

Back