• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Returning Characters

blue

gucci
    Years
    In almost every new generation we're met with some familiar faces during our adventures. In Pokemon Black & White for example, we were able to meet up and battle with Cynthia from the Sinnoh Region. Looker also made an appearance in these games and had quite an important role in Pokemon X and Y during the post-game storyline. So with all that being said, are there any particular characters from past generations you'd like to see make a cameo in Alola? How much involvement do you think they should have in the main storyline? Discuss!

Personally, I'd love to see Zinnia make a return! She quickly became one of my favourite characters and I feel like she has so much more to offer. Since she only really had a chance to shine in the Delta Episode, I feel like she could really play a crucial role in the S/M storyline and whatever it entails.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Considering that this is supposed to be the big 20th Anniversary game, I hope we get some returning characters, especially from Kanto and Johto. At minimum, I'd like to see Blue and Lance, the latter of whom has gotten very little attention since HGSS.

Cynthia can stuff it for all I care. She's already appeared in countless games and is beyond overexposed. Other characters are more deserving of the spotlight, IMO.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The only characters I particularly care about enough to want them back are also very plot-important, and I would hate to see their characters ruined and delegated to "generic NPC" status just for the sake of seeing them in Alola (for instance, how Looker was handled in ORAS). While I think certain characters could be added, they'd likely need a "sub-plot" of their own to feel like they should be there in the first place, and of course I don't expect that to happen--so in the end, I'd rather not risk it. I would not be against lots of characters making an appearance for the sake of a PWT-esque facility, however.

Years
    Some Kanto characters ought to be around so they can comment on the strange differences between Kanto Pokemon and their Alola counterparts. Have Prof. Oak be on vacation or something and get surprised by a giant Exeggutor.

Years
    Some Kanto characters ought to be around so they can comment on the strange differences between Kanto Pokemon and their Alola counterparts. Have Prof. Oak be on vacation or something and get surprised by a giant Exeggutor.

Solid +1 for bathing suit Professor Oak.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with what Esper said. Would really hope for only 5 characters to make an appearance. Oak, Red, Lance, N, and Jasmine. Would love to be able to battle them all too.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    I would love to see Zinnia making a comeback. As Blue said, she still has much more to offer. I really loved Zinnia , and we only had a glance of her backstory in the Delta Episode, so it's still an unexplored character.
    Besides Zinnia, I would like Cynthia to return (Don't ask me why, I just think she's the best champion and I love her) as well as Alder ( because when I look at Alder, I think I'm seeing a stranger, 'cause I really don't know a lot about him) and maaaaaaaaybe Lance.

blue

gucci
    Years
    X/Y seemed to have several subtle refrences to Kanto, maybe this time we'll actually see some characters pop up from there? We've already got the Alolan forms of a few Kanto Pokemon, perhaps Oak could sail over and explain the difference and reasoning behind these alternate forms as Esper mentioned.

Years
    I think AZ could potentially return because Kalos has a lot of unsolved mysteries and it's been said Kalos and Alola may share a connection with Zygarde. Also, since I'm speculating Mega Evolution won't be available until postgame (since the main plot should focus on the new Z-Moves) I feel AZ could grant the player to use Mega Evolution.

Just my theory though, so take it with a grain of salt.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I would love to see many characters make apperences and even battle you, considering this is the 20th anniversary games after all. Kalos barely had any old characters return (except for Looker) and ORAS didn't put any other gen characters either (except again, Looker). I'd love mostly to see some pre-gen 6 characters return just to see them have cool 3D models, people like Cynthia, Blue, Cheren, Blaine, any Battle Frontier boss, Silver, Alder would be awesome to see again. And I'd love to see Zinnia and AZ again, the two Gen 6 characters that interested me the most yet I feel like I barely know anything about them, and it would be cool to see Lysandre too
    XY spoiler?
    Spoiler:

Actually, just give me the PWT again, it would be perfect in this game, they are the 20th aniversary games after all, and going through that with your own customizable character, Z-Moves, Mega evolutions, 800+ Pokemon and seeing every Gym Leader and Champion in beautiful 3D models? Yes, please. Even throw in Elite 4 members (I really need to see Lorelei again) and even rivals, and it would make this the best Pokemon games.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
    Be honest I wouldn't mind a red moment for sun and moon meaning that the strongest trainer you face in the game is you (character is XY) using what ever Pokemon you have in your xy party , battle box or the last Pokemon you used for the HOF

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Prof. Oak, I like new people, I love it when it's a whole new adventure with totally new people. But there are some I like, I liked Brock but that's unrealistic, I'd like Prof. Oak and maybe, since it's the 20th anniversary to get Ash as the champion in the pokemon league. That would be cool.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I seriously think Caitlin will make a significant return appearance in this game. My current theory on this is, Caitlin owns the huge resort hotel on the big Island and also I'm also pretty sure that Lillie is Caitlin's little sister.
    Caitlin is one of my favorite characters throughout the franchise so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's going to have a pretty large role in Sun and Moon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I honestly think Green will return to the games. It was said that he went to Kalos and he made an appearance in the manga.

I am also really hoping that they finally make an in-game model of Yellow and Blue from the manga and let them return as well.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I honestly think Green will return to the games. It was said that he went to Kalos and he made an appearance in the manga.

I am also really hoping that they finally make an in-game model of Yellow and Blue from the manga and let them return as well.

The people who create the games and the people who create the Manga are different sets of people, the manga is inspired by the games but with their own twists and heavier story, and they have TPCi and Satoshi Tajiri's blessings. Yellow is completely manga original while Blue is based off a concept art from the original games in which Red and Green are seen with an unamed girl (and she later goes on to adopt Leaf's clothes style).

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I seriously think Caitlin will make a significant return appearance in this game. My current theory on this is, Caitlin owns the huge resort hotel on the big Island and also I'm also pretty sure that Lillie is Caitlin's little sister.
    Caitlin is one of my favorite characters throughout the franchise so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's going to have a pretty large role in Sun and Moon.

Yo, I'll vouch for this. This would be nice to see, as a fellow Caitlin fan. Give Caitlin some time in the spotlight and implement Lillie into the story in a way that isn't the most boringly obvious "she's a bad guy / related to a bad guy!" And it totally fits Caitlin, too, owning that resort.

blue

gucci
    Years

Yeah, I definitely have a feeling we will be seeing Caitlin again. Her dialogue from previous games seem to almost foreshadow and support this. Not only that, but as you said, she owns a resort and what better place to have it than right in Alola?

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
    I'm not really sure who I would want to make a cameo appearance in Sun/Moon. I do want a few characters though since it is the big 20th anniversary game and all.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I would not be opposed if Marlon and Brawly make some cameos. Aside from swimming and surfing I don't know what they'd do, but hey. I won't complain.

Back