• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Rewriting

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Have you ever rewritten a work you wrote previously?

I honestly have not, but have changed some things in the first to second draft. I've never thought "I want to rewrite this entire thing" yet, tbh.

Years
  • I have not, and I don't think I ever will. I get annoyed just making large edits to a story during the editing process, I'm not re-writing an entire story from scratch. I'd rather abandon something that needed that much reworking and start something fresh.

Bay

Years
  • I've rewritten a few chapters of a long work, but never entirely. I tried to do that with one of my very first fanfiction but only posted two chapters of the rewrite haha. Pretty much like GP I rather move on to a new story.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I haven't rewritten anything, and I doubt I would rewrite anything I've published and considered to be finished. No one-shots, no RP posts, nothing like that- but I put out the first few chapters of a couple epic multi-chapter fics out long ago, and I think I'd fully rewrite those if I came back to the stories with intent to finish them. Which I can see myself doing eventually :) I like the ideas still~

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • I'm on the fourth drafting of Shattered Crests. The current version on this site is the third since it's the furthest and the one I want to finish so I can have a complete draft of book 1. The fourth is the improved version plot, scene, and edits wise. I plan to do a fifth and final version for grammar and all that.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I rewrite very few times. Try to avoid it at all if possible. Instead, I prefer to do "Updated Releases" or "Director's Cut" to post the complete version as it would have been, since many of the reasons why I need to update or rewrite are tied to stuff like contests / deadlines and stuff.

For example, and I think the only that's the case here in PC, Playfield Redux is literally a 10th Anniversary rewrite, mostly so I could get out of the constraints of the original's writeup (it was a SWC contest entry) and get it up to speed with my setting and worldbuilding.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2024
    As someone who writes practically every day but doesn't post what I write all that often, mostly because coming with intricate plot-ideas character-interactions and lore is much easier than actually writing the story itself, you have no idea how many times I have rewritten my stories.

The plot for my upcoming series of Pokemon fangames have been rewritten 4 or 5 times, my old DBZ-fanfic Fireworks is undergoing a massive rewrite, and some of my plot ideas keeps coming back time and time again with a different name and franchise each time.

What can I say? My head is full of plot-bunnies at all times…

Days
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    I'm on the fourth drafting of Shattered Crests. The current version on this site is the third since it's the furthest and the one I want to finish so I can have a complete draft of book 1. The fourth is the improved version plot, scene, and edits wise. I plan to do a fifth and final version for grammar and all that.

With so many versions I think they should have a certain linking logic.

Back