• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Riders [M] [IC]

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
Hop6U7p.jpg
Maxwell Tybalt
Princess Sol Laetanas​
Elflepathy​

Max rode onward, with a determined gleam in his eye. If he was ever going to prove that he could excel out on his own, this was his oppourtunity. He felt a surge of releif, of authority, of freedom. Just him and his horse on the high road, and soon he would return as a hero. A grin crept accross his face as the rush of thoughts flushed through his mind.

"Now, young mistress, Khepri understands your frustration-"

Sol repositioned herself on Khepri's back, cursing silently at the thigh cramps the ride was giving her. "Oh, you do?" she replied sourly.

"Quite literally, in fact. Our emotions are interconnected, after all." the dragon said. "But as I was saying... This excusion might prove greatly beneficial to both you and the boy. I am aware of your distaste for cramped and dark places, after the watchtower incident, but is that not the essence of being a rider? Risking life and limb for others, courageously taking on the most perilous quests, enduring great hardships, facing your fears and anxieties? You may dismiss this as untrue, young mistress, but you do indeed relish this sense of adventure, do you not?"

The young elf said nothing, simply looking away. There was nothing she could say anyway - Khepri could tune into her emotions.

"What Khepri means to say is, do not feel angry or anxious. This is a great opportunity to show yourself to the world as a rider, and as a loyal friend to young master Max." Khepri comforted her.

After a while of flying in silence, Sol spoke up. "Did Layla mention how the boy was going to get there?" she asked. "We should make sure not to overtake him, or at least find him before we do."

"I believe horseback would be the only other option, since his dragon has been missing." Khepri replied. "What kind of wretched, selfish coward leaves their rider - and such a young rider, at that - to venture off and perish on their own? It disgraces our name and race as dragons."

"There is likely a reason behind it." Sol said. "The two must still be in contact, from the dreams Layla mentio- oh, down there!" she exclaimed. In the distance, galloping across a path was a lone traveler and their horse. "That could be Max. Swoop down a little lower, Khepri."

"Let us hope it isn't a regular villager." Khepri chuckled. "The sight of a dragon soaring above their head might give them more than a little spook."

Down on the ground, the young boy slowed his horses' gallop. "Rain?" He muttered to himself, confused as to what blocked out the sunlight so suddenly. He glanced up. Much to his frustration, it was impossible to miss the golden dragon that soared in the sky above him. "Why is..." Max began, taking a second to think about why the dragon would be following him. Maybe he was just being paranoid? "Hey!" He called out to the Dragon above. If he was lucky, he'd just coincidentally caught the large reptile on its hunting grounds. If so, he could continue on and complete his mission.

The dragon looked down at him, the crooked grin permanently eteched along its jaw smiling eerily as it flew above his horse. "Would you mind slowing down, young master? I believe you are the one we are looking for."

"Looking for me?" Maxwell questioned, struggling to mask his disapointment and project his voice loud enough for the dragon to hear him. "Why would you be looking for me? Does the old man not have another mission for you?" He continued in a thinly veiled attempt to feign ignorance. He knew that Layla was lying to him. If he could get these two to admit to it, then maybe he could take the moral high ground and convince them to go back to Pharus.

The dragon nodded. "That is precisely the case, young master. Khepri believes th-"

He was interrupted by a gentle pat on his neck by Sol. "Khepri, just land in front of his horse. I can handle the talking." she said, eyeing the boy from above.

"As you please, young mistress." Khepri replied, shifting his weight to overtake the horse. He then proceeded to turn around, before landing onto the path in front of them in a loud crash.

"Ow! I said land, not crash down!" Sol complained, rubbing her head where it had been violently slammed against Khepri's neck.

"Owww." Max groaned, as he clambered up from underneath his grounded horse. His first thought was that he regretted no speeding up. "There are easier ways of getting someones attention, you know." Max lied, knowing that what the dragon did would probably have been the only way to stop him. It worked. He didnt like it, but it worked. "So why are you looking for me? Dont you have your own mission?" He continued to whine.

Khepri bowed down respectfully at the young rider. "My apologies, young master. Khepri will allow mistress Sol to explain." he said, lowering himself and allowing the princess to slip off his back.

"You are Maxwell Tybault, yes?" Sol asked calmly, making her way over to Max's horse and helping him up.

"Y-" Max began, before stopping to think for a second. Maybe if he said lied, they'd go off to find 'the real' Maxwell Tybalt. If they did, he could complete the mission on his own. "No.. My name's...Tarmond. I have no family name." He said tentatively. He made a concious effort to sound as much like a commoner as possible, despite the fact he didnt look the part.

Sol struggled to keep her compsure as a smile crept up on her face. "I see... Well then, Tarmond, what would a young boy such as yourself be doing out here? Do you not have parents? Surely you would like the assistance of the, ah..." Sol tapped her chin pensively. She turned back to her dragon. "Khepri, what did Krotan describe us as again?"

The dragon perked up at the mention of his name. "Glorious saviors of this kingdom, heirs to the power of magic and icons of heroism and honor!"

"...yes, that. Are you not thrilled to meet such a pair?" Sol asked, smirking slightly.

"Oh, uh..." Max gulped. He had a sneaking suspicion that the elf had actually recognised him. Father had told him about Elves and their trickery, but he wasnt expecting her to pull such mind games straight away. As soon as he noticed her pointy ears, he shouldve known she could read into his thoughts. That confirmed it. She knew exactly who he was. He had to follow through though, she had to be the first to admit that she was lying. He'd have to act like he didnt know about the elven ability to read minds. "My father told me that Elves have the ability to project illusions, I wasnt aware you were actually one of the riders." He winced, immidiately regretting such a weak lie.

"Oh, did he now?" Sol asked, amused. "I suppose your father is as bad of a liar as you are." She looked him over, assessing his attire and equipment, before quickly plunging her hand into his satchel. She fished out what appeared to be a parchment - the type that was stuck to the mission board. "Now, Tarmond, this very mission is the one we are going to. I am curious as to how you got this, if you are not Maxwell."

"Khepri recalls seeing a mission about a thief. Maybe he is our thief, young mistress?" Khepri suggested teasingly.

"Ah, yes, most probably. I'm sure we would earn many great favors from master Krotan for completing two missions on the same day. Is that right, Max- oh, pardon me- Tarmond?"

Though she was talking about a fictional father, the elf's 'attack' towards his father still aggrivated him slightly. He took a few seconds to analyse the insult, before responding, being distracted by her reaching for his satchel. He put some semblance of defense, but she was quick in getting what she wanted, leaving Maxwell scrambling in an attempt to stop her reading the page. He turned away pouting, in response to being questioned, but was quickly frightened out if his tantrum at the suggestion that he may be the castle thief. It was obvious at that point that they truely were just messing with him. They knew exactly who he was. "I...ummm...have something to confess." He began, trying to conjure his best 'puppy dog eyes'. While he was certain at this point that the elf could read his mind, she could still be manipulated by cuteness, right? "I am Maxwell Tybalt. You must be Lady Sol, right?" He asked, trying to change the subject from the fact he'd just lied about who he was.

"Ah, good job." Sol said and smiled sweetly. She rolled the paper back up and handed it back to him. "And yes, I am lady Sol indeed. Now, I will ask this again - and I expect an honest answer." she added seriously. "Where is your dragon, and why are you heading on such a perilous mission on your own?"

"I dont know." Max responded with a sigh. "I'm going to prove that I can handle it. Alone." He added solemly. "I dont need Taragon, I dont need father, I dont need Zane..." He stopped, assuming that his point had been made.

"Oh, is that so?" Sol asked, raising an eyebrow. "Well then, Khepri! I suppose our work here is done!" she turned around promptly and marched back to her dragon.

"Ah, Sol..." Khepri began.

"You've heard the boy. We must respect his wishes. He is a rider after all." Sol waved him off, eager to get back to the castle.

"Is that not what madam Layla instructed you against?" Khepri asked, getting up on all fours to stop the elf from climbing on. "We cannot let her down after accepting to help her."

"But you heard what he said! Why must you make this more difficult?" Sol scolded, tapping her foot impatiently.

"I knew it." Max muttered to himself, with an air of resentment in his tone. "So Layla did send you?" He pressed, now taking more of an authorative tone.

The princess and dragon suddenly stopped, realizing they were bickering pointlessly in front of a child. Khepri sighed and lowered himself again.

Sol muttered something to herself, before taking a deep breath. She had to find a way to get the boy to agree with her, or she'd be stuck arguing between a child and an equally hard-headed dragon. "I... okay, Maxwell. Your family friend sent us to protect you on your way to the cave, yes. Just the trip, not the mission. As soon as we reach the place, myself and Khepri will leave. Does that sound fair to you?" she asked.

"Hmmm..." Max stopped, taking a moment to think. He had wanted to take the whole thing on his own, but it wasnt the end of the world if these two wanted to come along for the ride. If they wanted to seem helpful, he could at least give them that. Worst case scenario, he'd just have to sneak away when they weren't expecting it. He glanced up at the dragon, trying to blindly guague if it had the agility to out manuver his horse. "Fine." He sighed. "That works for me, as long as it's just the journey."

"I'm glad you understand." Sol said. "Besides, flying is much faster than riding on horseback. You'll be saving quite some time, too." She hopped onto Khepri's back, leaving some space behind her for Max to sit. "Well, what are you waiting for? You can let your horse go - all royal horses know the way back to their own castles."

"Uh...h-" Max began, attempting to lie again, before remembering that the elf could read his mind. He accepted the invitation on to the the dragon's back, before making a distinctive whistling sound to dismiss the horse and send it on its way back to Pharus. "Thanks." He sighed in defeat.

With that, Khepri nodded to the young rider and leapt up into the air, flashing his large golden wings to thrust his and his two passengers into the sky.

A joint post of Foxrally and Shak

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
NBc9zcR.jpg

Hop6U7p.jpg
Maxwell Tybalt
Princess Sol Laetanas​
Guild Wars​

Max's eyes widened, and his heart raced as the wind pummeled his face again. He'd been clutching on to whatever he could find for dear life. Nothing was working. Only when the dragon decided to do a twirl, did Max finally take to his last resort. He clutched desperately to the elf before him, refusing to let go. "Heyy...ummm..." He shouted, doing his best to get the attention of either the rider or the dragon. "You guys don't mind if we walk do you?"

Sol, despite her annoyance at the situation, couldn't help but feel amused at the young boy's predicament. "Oh, I don't know..." she mused mockingly. "What do you think, Khepri? Should we walk?"

The dragon responded with another graceful twirl, nearly knocking both passengers off his back in the process. Sol turned back to Max, who was gripping her even more tightly now, and slapped his hands away. "Now keep your hands away from me and quit being a crybaby." she scolded. "Besides, we are nearly there."

The boy let out a terrified whimper as he was left to fend for himself, hundreds of feet in the air. He had to conclude at that point, that letting Sol and Khepri join him on his way to the mission was a bad idea. It was made worse by the fact Sol had the advantage of straps holding her in place. Plus he was lighter, so he was much more at risk of flying off the back of the speeding dragon than she was. "How close is 'nearly'?" He gasped, almost shaking with fear.

"Close enough that if you fell off, they would find your body fairly easily." Sol teased, trying her best not to smirk. She did feel a little bad for worrying the boy so much, but she couldn't stop herself - he almost reminded her of her young cousins, in a way.

"Now, young mistress, let us not scare him too much. You should enjoy the ride while you can, young master Max. Khepri can see the campsite from here." Khepri said.

"Thank god..." Max sniffled, wrapping his body tighter around the tail of Khepri.

----------​

The travelling trio had landed right beside the scouting groups' campsite - or at least one them. For once, Khepri's diminutive size had helped them somehow. The campfire was still smoking and none of the tents were occupied, meaning the scouts had probably recently left their base.

A relieved Maxwell dived off the back of the dragon the moment they landed. He could still feel himself shaking at the thought the flight may have been their best mode of transport when returning to Pharus.

"Strange..." Sol mused, frowning. "Did you not say they were here, Khepri?" she asked as she looked around the abandoned camp.

"Khepri only said their camp was here." the dragon corrected. "However, I feel their light coming from this direction. Many individuals." he said, motioning towards the forest.

"Understood, then." Sol hopped off his back. "Myself and Maxwell will go investigate on foot. You stay here until I call for you, in case anything happens." she instructed. "Is that alright with you?" she asked, turning back to Max, who was still shaken by his enlightening first flight.

"Mhm." Max nodded meekly. He stood up clutching his arm, and followed obediently behind the elf, taking only a single glance up at the sky to recall despite knowing it would remind him of the terrifying experience he just faced.

It didn't take long for the two riders to find their 'clients'. One simply had to follow the noticeable crack the sinkhole had made in the surrounding area, and the scouts' footprints.

"There seems to be quite a number of them." Sol said. "Max, does the paper mention how many th-"

She stopped, as she was interrupted by the sharp zipping sound of an arrow whizzing past her head, planting itself into the tree behind her. The shot had been visibly deliberately missed, almost like a warning shot. Before the two riders had time to say anything, a voice called out from a distance in the trees.

"Drop your weapons and renounce your identities at once! This is forbidden hunting ground for travelers!"

Sol looked up to where the voice was coming from. The rather rugged human man was holding a bow, with an arrow notched and pointed straight at them. "For your own sake... You really should drop that bow right about now." Sol commanded sternly.

Branches snapped and trees crashed as Khepri's massive figure came tumbling down onto the bowman's hiding spot, the gust created by the dragon's wings nearly knocking over Max and Sol.

"That was... tactful, Khepri." Sol said, dusting off her dress. She quickly turned to check on Max. "Are you all right?"

"I'll be okay." Max nodded assuringly, the gust seemingly being just what the boy needed to get over his earlier tribulations. He flicked his cape back over his head, revealing the very determined expression on his face

"Ambusher. Despicable." Khepri spat scornfully as he retracted his wings. The tree he was standing on was now snapped in half, with the bowman's unconscious body lying underneath the heavy trunk, encased in a large glowing orb.

"Are you sure these are the guys we should be fighting?" Max asked rather flatly as another group of men came running in, presumably to aid the the man that had just been crushed upon Khepri's arrival. The first of the men looked rather threatening, but his two companions were far from it. The second man looked as though he was barely taller than Max, and the third was...to put it as nicely as possible, quite robust in his frame. The two looked like they could barely keep up with the man they were following behind.

"If you move, this arrow will be planting itself firmly between you eyes." The first man said through gritted teeth, staring directly at the elf. The conviction in his voice made him seem confident, although it was clear from his constant glances at Khepri that he understandably had his reservations. "So the elves sent you to take us out from behind. And with a dragon, no less." He added as his two companions were finally by his side.

"Wait, wait...we aren't with the elves, we-"

"So she's even captured another human prisoner?" The bowman interrupted Maxwell's attempt to intervene before he made the decision to shoot Sol. Realizing that his wording may have caused even more confusion, Max glanced back at his elven companion, in the hope that she could be a better negotiator than he was.

Despite her growing concern at the bowman's abrasiveness, Sol did her best to stay relaxed. Putting on her most genuine calm face, she glanced at the unconscious man. "Calm down. We aren't taking any prisoners here. Your guard here was pointing a weapon at us." she corrected.

She felt Khepri stir angrily in her mind. What sort of a man threatens a woman and a child? Khepri might just...

Khepri, no. The man was simply carrying out his duty. Stay silent. Sol commanded back.

She raised her arms peacefully at the man. "Now if you may lower your own bow, so we may talk under less barbaric circumstances."

"You fools are always talking peace, aren't you. Then you're quick to stab us in the back. So is that what was in your sinkhole? A dragon?" The man growled, tightening his grip on the bow.

"The sinkhole..." Max muttered to himself, pulling out the page with the help request. "You're the guys that requested we help you settle something with the sinkhole, right?" Max smiled, thankful that they could finally come to some sort of understanding.

The man raised a brow, disheartening the excited rider. "They're so determined to trick us, that they called for outside help, and even turned them against us." He looked back to his teammates, who were quick to affirm his suspicions. "How many of our men do you slimy elves intend to take?" The man yelled in an explosion of his retained anger.

Sol sighed, growing increasingly frustrated at the man's comments on her kin. "You men never take kindly to diplomacy, do you?"

In a blinding flash of light from her dragon, the elf sprinted at the man, slapping his hand upwards and causing him to fire his arrow, before snatching the bow out of his hands. As the three scouts reeled back she notched an arrow of her own, pointing it back at the bowman.

"Now will you listen?" she asked, furrowing her brow. "Explain what is happening here."

"Argh...bitch!" The scout yelled in a panic, as the series of events flashed before him. "Alright, alright, I'll explain what's going on. Just lower your damn weapon." He added, aware of the hypocritical nature of his response.

"Good." Sol said, smiling and lowering her bow.

"The elven hunters have been picking off our men." He began with a sigh, annoyed at the fact he was actually standing and explaining himself to someone of the same race as those whom he was cursing. "As soon as a guy goes solo hunting, he disappears. Meanwhile, those bastards seem to be having a field day with all their happy hunting. We made a pact. Humans get one half of the forest, elves get the other, and the prairie on the inside is split the same. Problem is, the elves have made a massive sinkhole in the prairie, and that's where our best hunting site is. Bastards ruined us, and have been picking off our men for weeks now. We only just found out about the sinkhole a few days ago, and all of a sudden, now that we know about it, the elves have started 'losing' men themselves. It's all fishy to me." He ranted, with his two companions nodding along with the story.

Max bit his lip in response to the story, before glancing up at Sol. He had witnessed the elven sadism first hand, so he had no reason not believe the men's story. "Well, isn't it a bit risky to be telling us all this? I don't know where the elves are, but they could be listening right now." He mused, thinking back to when he'd been told that elves have super hearing. "Not to mention...sleeping so close to enemy elves is probably a bad idea too, they can control your dreams, after all." He continued, rubbing in chin in broodingly.

The hunter seemed puzzled for a moment, but took in what the boy had said. "Really?" He asked, with a hint of desperation in his tone. His eyes widened with a mix of realization and panic, as Maxwell responded with an assured nod.

"What on earth- that is a blatant lie!" Sol yelled, stomping her foot. "We elves are just as normal as-" she suddenly stopped as she realized she was breaking her serious facade. "Ahm. I meant to say, that is not true. I assure you myself and other elves do not have any of the powers this child is telling you," she said, glaring at Max, "and I highly doubt they are behind your men's disappearances. If they are, then we will deal with them accordingly."

She returned the bow back to the hunter. "Take us to the sinkhole you speak of. If what you say is true, the elf hunters should be nearby."

With a sigh, the hunter turned, gesturing for Sol to follow behind.

Maxwell followed behind the group, contemplating the information he'd shared with the hunters that Sol had contradicted.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
x35JIBs.png

kTnFvyj.png

Zile And Tamber - Chapter 2:
Rooftop Run​

Shingles on the newly repaired roofs beneath Zile's feet began to shudder and come loose as he dashed forward through the town of Pharus. The sunrise dwindled idly in the far distance as across a street and running along an alternating line of conjoined structures was the target. The young elven thief whom had been robbing the Riders of magical writings and food for the past few days. She was able to keep pace with him, she seemed to have some other form of magic to boost her speed and Zile's newly discovered and imperfect blasts of acceleration were only just enough to put pressure on her. He had been told Rider magic was powerful, some of the best of its type even at lower levels. This woman must have been extremely skilled to match it with such ease and grace.

"Look! I know some guys like playing hard to get... but don't you think this is a bit much?" He cried out through the night air, eliciting a silent but hateful glare backwards from the woman he pursued. "Not talking huh? Well alright then. I'm sure I can fill the void alone!" The woman, becoming visibly more annoyed, reached behind to a quiver upon her back, but the change in position allowed the rushing wind flowing past her as she moved to knock back her hood and Zile's eyes widened at what he saw. Billowing silver hair was caught in the wind, like liquid metal glinting across the pale moonlight. The soft features of a presumably beautiful woman were twisted into a horrid scowl as her moment of shock at being revealed quickly passed, she continued to grab the quiver upon her back and prepare it for... something.

Was she really going to try and knock a bow while running across rooftops such as these? Rooftops, he might have added, that were getting progressively more decayed and unfinished as they went. Only then did he notice something even more confusing.

She didn't carry a bow at all.

"Should we not be helping Zile in tracking down the girl?" Pyra questioned, the dragon soaring around the castle.

Tamber shook her head in response. "I'm sure that for the time being he'll be fine. Zile is a bit faster on his feet than I am... Besides, we need to take the time to make sure that our new friend isn't working in a group. For all we know, she could just be running a distraction for the real thief."

Pyra glanced back at the gypsy riding on her back. "Are you sure? I do not recall Krotan saying anything about more than one thief..."

"I'd like to hope that there isn't, Pyra," Tamber replied. She offered her dragon a soft smile. "You know thieves can be tricky. It's also quite common for them to work in groups as opposed to on their own. Some of the... less than honorable members of the troupe did that as well... Well, before father banished them from the camp."

"If you are certain..." Pyra replied.

Tamber nodded. "I am. Don't worry, once we do a few, quick circles, we'll go find ZIle and our guest. Now, let's go quickly."

ZIle watched with a strange mix of awe and worry as the girl emptied her quiver into the air with a swift motion. The arrows didn't fall behind and to the ground at their heightened velocity as he had imagined them to, however. No, instead they hung around her, poiting forward and spinning rapidly in place. What form of advanced magic was this supposed to be?

The arrows turned and faced him like aggressive hornets and with a wave of the womans hand, one by one they started to dive towards Zile with a tenacity that matched the creatures they resembled in his mind. Zile channeled the magic flowing through him from Alyra to the limit, jumping, sliding and weaving as he struggled to keep his acceleration and pace. Interestingly the arrows didn't seem to be aiming for his vitals. It was as if the girls goal was to delay or cripple him so that he wouldn't be able to follow her further. Well, he supposed it was nice that she wasn't trying to kill him immediately.

He stared forward for a brief moment, trying to focus on their direction and distance from the outer walls, his distraction earned him a nasty gash across his cheek and he cursed before returning his attention to the onslaught being rained down upon him. "Dear one..." Alyra spoke in his mind, she had been watching from the castle rooftops above, but had held back at Zile's discretion, hoping that the girl would act more vulnerably if she faced a rider without his dragon.

"Tamber and Pyra have taken to the sky... they are checking for extra thieves along the perimeter, however so far their efforts and my own have proven fruitless." She was trying to remain calm, though he could sense the worry in her tone. She did not approve of leaving him alone, not at all. "Understood." He thought back, trying to focus on dodging. "I'm at a disadvantage here, are we heading in the right direction?" Alyra launched from the castle roof and flew just above the skyline, behind Zile and the thief as they raced forward across the night covered rooftops of the rebuilding Pharus Township. Alyra sent a brief emotion of confirmation to Zile, assuring him that the plan was working, before focussing her energy into her wings and lighter dragonic form. She envisioned a single petal, floating in a raging vortex, flowing with the wind in the direction that it chose.

Within a few moments she burst in beside Tamber and Pyra, moving with a magical speed that far surpassed her peers. She spoke openly into their minds, informing them of the situation. "Come sister, Tamber as well, we must head them off at the gate."

As the final arrow cracked off the rooftop just in front of Zile's feet as he slid to a momentary stop, only to rush forward once more, he grinned and shouted out to his opponent, only a few cuts on his body aside from the gash on his cheek. "You know... I don't usually accept gifts on the first date! Unless you want to pay for dinner that is..." With a burning glare of hatred the woman turned her head to glare right into his soul. She was not amused and it seemed as if she was regretting holding back in her previous attacks. Zile felt the sudden sickening realization that this woman probably could have killed with a single arrow if she had been trying to.

Not that it mattered much now, the gate stood before them both now, mere meters away. The final hurdle of freedom stood before them and the girl channeled her magical energy in full force for the purposes of getting away. Launching from the rooftop with unprecedented grace she cleared the gate as if it was nothing. Zile cursed loudly and mustered all the magic his body could handle, with one massive attempt he threw himself into the air, attempting to clear the city gate that was at a sizable distance and height, but he just about fell short. Crashing into the edge of the entrance he lets out a grunt as the beginning of a nasty bruise takes shape, slipping downwards he grips the edge with all his might, hanging on for deal life as nothing but death awaits him below. A blazing flash of concern raced into his mind from Alyra, but he shakes it off, instead informing her to focus on the mission.

"There's no way she can do so much magic without weakening, you and the others have to be ready Alyra. She's coming." And with that he felt his fingers slip... and Zile fell.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
Years

dwarf_half.jpg
dragon_half.jpg

Gamvar Ironfist
&
Grom-Duraz
&
Zile
in

Twist of Fate

It was nearly midday as Gamvar and Grom-Duraz touched down inside the gate of Castle Pharus. The pair had left early that morning, on their way to fulfill a request from Krotan to meet with the dwarven king Steelbeard in the city of Yaltan. However, a messenger from the elder rider had intercepted them not too long after, with an urgent request to return at once. After a bit of stubborn hesitance from the dwarf, the two turned back, curious as to what might await them there.

As the dragon and rider entered the main courtyard, a tall, lean elf called out to upon seeing them. "Ah, Masters Gamvar and Grom! Master Krotan is awaiting your presence in the dining hall. Please do make haste."

Gamvar nodded. "Aye, we'll head there now, many thanks Folmar."

Folmar was one of the recently-acquired castle staff Krotan had enlisted to help restore the place to it's former glory. While there were only a handful of these members, the effect of having more living beings in the vast stone expanse made a world of difference. Folmar in particular took care of many jobs around the castle, but was primarily hired as a groundskeeper.

The dwarf and dragon made their way to the dining hall. "Wonder what tha ol' white one wants with us now," Gamvar commented, eyeing the door warily.

Grom craned his stony neck towards his companion. "Whatever it may be, we must not hesitate to find out. Let us enter and meet with Lord Krotan."

The two locked eyes in agreement, and pushed open the massive doors. Standing in the center of the room was the Elder Rider, unmoving and with a grave look upon his face.

"Ah, Krotan, we got yer message!" Gamvar called out as he moved towards the lone figure. "Is everythin' alright?"

Krotan closed his eyes as they entered, he seemed deep in thought and had to take a moment to collect himself. The top of his cane was clenched tightly in his hand, the bottom grinding gently into the wood below. A half-drunk bottle of freshly brewed ale was sat upon the table. "Gamvar, Grom-Duraz." He spoke plainly to the other two, an edge of tension prevalent in his voice. "I am afraid there has been a set of... unexpected circumstances, I apologize for recalling you from your mission so soon, but there are things I must discuss with you. There are things I must discuss with all of you." He gestured to a nearby seat with his cane.

"I ask that you sit, my friends."

Gamvar took a seat in the closest chair, while Grom set himself down nearby. " 'Unexpected circumstances', ye say? What do ye mean?' "

Krotan approached slowly, his pace slow yet firm, it carried a grave sense of purpose, as did the expression on his face. There was something seriously wrong, something that wasn't supposed to have happened. He took a shaky sip from the bottle once again before resting it gently on the tabletop. "Gamvar. I am certain that you are aware of the dangers of your position. You realize how important you are to this world... and you understand that arising from that may come knives in the dark, forces that wish to see you fall. To plunge you into turmoil. Am I correct?"

The dwarf gave a heartly laugh. "Let them come! As me father used ta say, tha strongest stones are nae the ones that break under heat and pressure, but the ones that harden in tha flames."

He smiled, if only for a brief moment. "Your confidence is powerful... it will serve you well." He placed the ale aside and looked to the table, unable to lift his gaze. "I have failed you, Gamvar. Grom-Duraz. You and all of your fellows. I found what I had waited eons to find, in my haste to take advantage of that boon, I left some of you unprepared, I left some of you unready." He did not rise his gaze, staring at the clotch covered wooden surface before him. "The World already moves to correct my mistakes... but what has been lost is not something that can be reclaimed."

Neither the dwarf nor the stone-laden dragan had seen this mournful side of their mentor before. It was unsettling. The few moments of silence that passed seemed like an eternity, until Grom's gravelly voice broke the silence.

"Lord Krotan, to what mistakes do you refer? And why have you summoned us?"

"Grom-Duraz... I-"

The doors burst open then, Zile stood at them, leaning on his sword. Alyra padded behind him with a worried expression in his eyes. "I'll tell you what mistakes he made." Krotan looked at the younger man and winced, defeat and weariness in his old eyes. "He sent two Riders, with little experience, into a trap. Flynn and Idora walked right into an ambush, dressed in fancy garb and without their dragons to protect them. Whatever about the assassin, she's used to facing the odds. Flynn was just a boy! He wasn't ready!" The evening sun glistened through the stained glass windows that adorned the dining hall walls. Everything was painted in a myriad of hues infused with orange light.

"Zile..." Alyra broadcast her thoughts to everyone in the room, making sure to use her titles moniker over his actual name. "There was no way he could have-" Zile gripped Krotan's shirt, raising him off of his seat with grit teeth from the pain in his injuries and fury in his eyes. "You wait over eight hundred damn years! To what? To send a boy to his death?!"

Gamvar firmly placed a hand on Zile's arm, his gaze growing rigid. "Nae so fast there, lad. Put tha man down, and give him a chance ta speak. Otherwise ye'll have ta go through me first." Grom also took a step forward, as if giving his assurance as well.

Zile glared back at Gamvar, a self contained rage and hurt glowering in his eyes... but he let Krotan go and took a step back regardless. Alyra quickly stepped into the room and let Zile, still injured from his fall the previous night, lean against her leg. "Krotan..." Alyra spoke very gently, quiet as a mouse. "Please forgive us... we do not mean such aggression, but when we heard from a servant in the halls we... we could not..." She trailed off gently.

Krotan furrowed his brow and placed a hand on his cane. "He's right Gamvar... I don't deserve any small mercy offered onto me now..." He clutched the figurehead of the can, slouching a little and for the first time perhaps since the riders had met him, showed his age. The age of a tired and beaten old man.

"Flynn and Idora walked into an ambush. They're gone... as are their dragons."

The room went silent. The terrifying, gut-wrenching wave of grief and shock was palpable. Two of their companions and friends... gone, never to be seen again. And the man that had sent them to their doom was not an enemy, but one they had all trusted.

It wasn't long before the silence was broken by the dwarf. "We must honor tha fallen. Where be they now?"

Kroten pursed his hands together and furrowed his brow a little further, his expression was pensive and filled with regret. "Their bodies were retrieved by an old friend of mine, too late to save them I am afraid." He took a deep breath and began to explain. "You see when a Rider and Dragon die their bodies return to their elements. Nature reclaims the power they took and leaves them as an eternal vassal of what they once were. Flynn and Ferrus have become a grand statue of iron... Idora and Morenth will soon grow and blossom into a beautiful tree at the center of the graveyard here. Their souls joined together for eternity."

"So what now?" Zile asked, arms crossed as he stared dead straight across the table, taking a seat facing away from the windows which still reflected the sun. "What now...?" Zile asked, weariness and confusion seeping into his voice. "Idora and Morenth are to be... planted and grown. Flynn and Ferrus I assume will be stored in our castle in some position of honor... but what do you expect us to do now?!" He turned his head to glare at Krotan from the corner of his eye. "We've already lost two of our own! We do not number in the thousands old man! So what do we tell the people?! What do we show our enemies?! Weakness?! Defeat?! Do we even know who did this?!"

"Nae all tha blame can be put on Krotan, lad. He had nae way of knowin' what would happen ta them. And as much as it hurts us, look how much more it be hurtin' him. We need ta find out who be really responsible for this damn trap rather than sittin' in here pointin' fingers." Gamvar turned to the old man. "Be there anythin' more that ye could tell us about what happened?"

"That... is the true reason I have called you here." He paused momentarily and thought deeply for a moment, before shaking his head gently. "The specifics of what has happened now are too much for you right now, the killers we can find later, for now however there is something of even greater urgency we must contend with." At these words Zile stood up, clearly angry at the way such a sentence had been phrased, however, he paused as Krotan spoke again.

"There is another."

"...another?! Another what?!" Zile shouted, his voice filling with anger. Krotan paused momentarily in response only to reach for a shelf, at the back of the room, from which he pulled a scroll and unfurled it upon the table. It was a map of Nobillis. Top to bottom, with every major location marked. "When one fades..." Krotan began. "The World will alter and shift, time will correct itself and a light will shine anew. I have only sensed it now... but destiny protected the deaths of our friends and has already prepared a new Rider of Iron to take his place... and if our allies were attacked and killed than this new rider is in grave danger."

"Yaltan. This Dwarven city is one of the greatest and it is here you are to meet with the Dwarven King... however, here..." He placed a finger upon Yaltan before drawing it due North some 10 or 15 leagues. "This is the city of Brakmar. The second I learned of young Flynn's death I sensed her here. A new child of iron and her dragon companion. There is a darkness surrounding her, our enemies know she is here as well, there is not much time."

Gamvar took a step forward, glancing at the map. "Then there will be nae delay. I'll head for Brakmar at once." Grom snorted in approval. The dwarf's face bespoke of confidence and determination as he reassured Krotan. "No need to worry. We'll have this new lass back here before ya can blink."

"Wait Gamvar..." Zile spoke and put a hand on the Dwarf's shoulder. "Old man." Krotan gripped his can a little tighter. "Zile." The younger man took a deep breath and calmed his rage. "The others should go... in fact, we all should go." Krotan's eyes widened in bewilderment. "What? But why?" Zile smirked a little and stood up a little straighter despite his injuries. "Because whatever piece of muk killed my friends is hanging around there... Gamvar and I alone, I don't know if we can take on that challenge. This time, we'll learn by doing... from each other. Whatever the hell this is? No way it can stand up to the full might of the Riders of Nobillis. Rookies or not." He stepped forward and placed a hand on Krotan's shoulder. "I don't forgive you for what happened... but I can accept that it wasn't your fault. Keep the seats warm and have a grand meal waiting for us when we get back. Gamvar and I will go on ahead."

Krotan blinked once as Zile released him and walked back over to Gamvar... and he smiled. There was still hope in those two, in all that remained. The mistakes of the past would not be repeated, not with leaders such as they to bring forth a new age. "Then good luck my friends... and may whatever Gods we have left watch over you."

***​

As the two walked down the corridors, Zile glanced towards the rugged dwarf at his side. He hadn't had an absurd amount of interaction with the Dwarven people, but from what he had seen of the stouter being, Gamvar was a man worthy of Zile's respect. "If we do this... we're going to face something far beyond anything either of us have ever faced before. You know that, right?"

"Aye. But Aye. But as me father used ta say, the only boulders ye can never break be the ones ye refuse ta put a pick ta." The dwarf shot an inquisitive look towards the taller man. "Why be ye a rider, Zile?"

Zile grinned. "I found a dragon."

Gamvar ignored the man's sarcasm. "Do ye really believe that's it? Ye don't strike me as someone ta be here because of blind luck."

"I''m here... because someone has to be. Nothing involving any of this is blind luck Gamvar. Flynn and Idora... the way this string of fate has treated them is sick and wrong. It put them forward just to knock them down and replace them with another it's already prepared. We don't choose circumstance, I won't pretend like I came here because I felt like I had some destiny of grandeur and salvation." His expression took on an expression of melancholy, as if thinking a thought that was too far away to bring to speech. "But I'll do the very best I can... and I'll fight with everything I have to make sure my fate and the fate of everyone here is one that we find favorable." He paused and looked back to Alyra, whom smiled as she walked behind him. "I'm a rider... because I found a dragon... what about you? Why are you a rider Gamvar?"

"Ah, well. It's simple, really. I'm a rider because of Grom." Gamvar chuckled heartily. "Legends say that dragons choose their partners, and I sure as stone believe it. Grom chose me, out of all thar were, ta share in his power and his burden. Tis nae one I take lightly, and despite everythin' that happens, I'll be by his side." Looking Zile straight in the eyes, the dwarf continued. "Ye know as well as I do, the bond we share be deeper than any other imaginable. And that, me friend, be why I be a rider. I go where Grom goes, and be honored ta fight and protect by his side."

"I respect that." Zile said plainly with a nod, before placing his hand firmly on the Dwarf's shoulder. "And I should think that as brothers in arms... I am honored to fight by the side of Grom and you as well, Gamvar."

Gamvar laughed jovially, clapping Zile on the back with surprising force. "Aye, they shall sing songs of our victories to come! Now, let us find this new rider, and give any else who may pursue her a taste of wind and stone!"

This post was a JayP . Get it? Ayylmao.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years

latest

Xurik Alminé and Hahdrim
Chapter 3: The land of beards and ale!

Xurik stumbled into Pharus castle late that night, litterally tripping as he entered the banquet hall, falling down the few steps and landing on his ass. Because he was completely intoxicated, this ammused him to no end and he had been giggling for several minutes before the elderly rider Krotan cleared his voice and made himself known.

"I'm afraid we have some bad news." Kroatan began, ignoring the fact that the supposed hero of the world had just fallen on his ass and started giggling like an infant. "Flynn and Idora have fallen. Your comrades have taken flight already, heading for the dwarvern city of Yaltan to search for a new rider of Iron."

Xurik had stopped giggling by the time the man finished speaking. He stood up shakily and snatched a loaf of bred from the table and began chewing it unceremoniously.

"So flim and the prostitute bit it then did they?" Xurik mumbled, either not aware or not caring about the seriousness of what Kroatan had said.

"You're thinking of Tamber, Idora was the moody woman who kept to herself. And she's a gypsie not a prostitute." Hahdrim mentally called from somewhere above.

"Sure." Xurik muttered as he began to chug some water straight from the jug that was on the table. "Wait did you say Yaltan? As in a dwarvern city? When do you want me to leave." Xurik cried suddenly, finally realizing what the old man had been saying.

Xurik groaned as Hahdrim flapped her large wings, propelling them forwards through the clouds. It had been what seemed like an eternity since he had fought the werewolves with Fikras. Since then they had been working together to rebuild the Tavern, well more drinking while talking about rebuilding the tavern, but still.

"I don't care if you're hungover, aren't you even going to acknowledge that two of our comrades are dead?" Hahdrim mentally complained, her voice, or her thoughts were filled with sadness and what could only be described as mental tears.

Xurik had no response to this. It was sad that two people were dead, but he hadn't known these people. They hadn't been his friends, nor his enemies. They were only his comrades in the broadest sense of the term considering that they likely hadn't even met, and if they had then Xurik hadn't payed any attention to it.

"People die all the time. When we get back i'm sure there will be a funeral or something, we can go if you like." Xurik muttered in response.

"I can read your thoughts! You only care about what kind of alchohol might be there!" Hahdrim shouted angrily.

"Why do you think I wanted to fly all the way out to Yaltan? Dwarvern Ale. And possibly to steal some gold, but dwarves aren't known for being to friendly, especially to elves. Unless you count them malformed blob babies you hear ghost stories about." Xurik responded with a mental snort.

Suddenly they broke through the clouds and before them they could see a huge mountain with large stone statues of various dwarvern warriors carved into what seemed to be the gate. Even in his hungover state, Xurik was taken away by how ornate and detailed the statues were, even visible from this height and distance.

As the large dragon landed, several armored dwarves rushed forward. The leader of whom stepped forward and offered a salute of sorts to the dragon, while completely ignoring the dark skinned elf on its back.

"Greetings Dragon and Rider, you're comrades have already informed us of the purpose of your visit and we welcome you to Yaltan with open arms, however we must ask that you abide by our laws as we would with any other traveller." The dwarvern captain or whatever their equivalent of the rank stated.

"Good to hear. Where does one get a good brew around here." Xurik grunted as he hopped off the back of the dragon, his leather boots softening the landing as his cloack toiled down gracefully behind him.

At the mention of ale and drinking several of the dwarvern guards began to shout out different breweries within the kingdom, and when two dwarves had a difference of oppinion a few fists were thrown.

"Aren't the guards supposed to be the ones preventing this?" Hahdrim cried out as she watched in horror.

"Don't you just love their rich cultural traditions!" Xurik chuckled, a huge grin spread across his face.

Foxrally

Years
KLM7rr2.jpg

Hop6U7p.jpg
Maxwell Tybalt
Princess Sol Laetanas​
Swallowed Hole​

With the human hunters surrounding them, and Khepri following behind, Maxwell and Sol soon found themselves face with a large hole in the ground. Despite the sheer size of the crevasse, it didnt really seem to burrow all that deep, but instead to shape itself more like a tunnel as apposed to a plummeting pit. Standing at the hole was a collection of around seven people: the two female elves, and the four male elves were positioned on one side of the hole, while the single male human stood at the side the riders and their guides were coming from.

"Rohan! We have...unexpected company. They claim to be these things called riders sent on a mission to settle this dispute." The second of the hunters Max and Sol had ran into called out. "They knocked out Brettan, but they say they're impartial." He continued, pointing toward the unconscious man that had been crushed under the tree trunk earlier, that was now being carried on the back of the same dragon that had knocked him out.

"A child and an elf." Rohan stated flatly, not even turning to face the 'prisoners' that were being presented to him. "So you called for reinforcements without informing us?" He called out, now addressing the elves across the sinkhole.

"You've done yourselves no favors earning our trust. We took matters into our own hands." The elven camp leader responded. "Please riders, if you would like to join us, we can gladly explain the situation to you, as I'm sure these barbarians have neglected to do." He continued, switching his attention to Sol, Maxwell and most importantly, Khepri.

"In fact, they have." Sol corrected. "And I expect as much courtesy from yourselves as I do from them when you are addressing another race." she added. Though it was pleasant to finally see another elf, the little race-calling game the two groups had set up for themselves was not going to help solve this dispute at all.

"Mistress Sol... Khepri senses the darkness coming from this pit... an evil light. This isn't good." the dragon warned, peering into the tunnel.

"W-wha?! Did that dragon just call her mistress Sol? From the Reena council?" one of the male elves exclaimed. The other four seemed to reel back in shock at the mention of the latter.

"The Laetanas girl? So the rumors about the dragon are true..." another gasped.

"The Elven princess? You certainly went all out to resolve this issue." Rohan said, doing his best to mask his surprise. "My men apologize for any disrespect they've shown you, ma'am. We still dont trust those fools, but you have our co-operation until this issue is resolved." He gave a small bow to Sol , before rallying his men behind him.

"Apology accepted." Sol nodded before peering into the cavern. "Hmm... From what Khepri has just said, I'm afraid my initial suspicions are beginning to seem more and more likely. I would, however, like to hear your side of the story." Sol said, crossing her arms.

"Of course, your majesty. We're not completely sure where it came from, but this hole appears to have something to do with the disappearance of both our men and those of the human group. At first we suspected that the humans may have had something to do with it, but as their numbers dwindled along with ours, we were smart enough to come to the conclusion that that probably wasn't the case. The humans, on the other hand, weren't so astute. They were quick to blame us, and chose to violate an otherwise peaceful agreement held between the two camps. Now here we are, fighting over something so dangerous, when we should be fighting together." He scowled for a moment, having allowed his attention to drift away passionately explained. "What we ask of you riders, is one of two things. We ask that you act as diplomats, and aid us in resolving this dispute so that we can all find our missing comrades, or, help us defeat the humans and save our missing comrades in the hole." He bowed his head respectfully. He spoke softly and hesitantly, as though he was reluctant to say as much as he had.

"We can never live peacefully with the humans, the riders have to wipe them out if we're ever going to save Tern." One of the female elves blurted out in annoyance. The suggestion that they end their dispute with the humans peacefully seemed to aggravate a few of the elves, but it was her who decided to speak up. Despite her challenging his apparent preferred outcome, the elven leader said nothing.

"We did not come all the way here to resolve whatever petty squabbles you are having over this piece of land. What matters at the moment is rescuing the people who are lost, and do so before whatever took them kills them." Sol glared at the elf, who despite her scowl took a small step back.

"Both of you have lost men to this creature. If anything, this should be a reason for you to work together, not fight over who did what. If we ever hope to see these need to go in at once."

"Creature? The hole has shown no signs of life whatsoever, but if you assume that there's a creature in there, then it would probably be best to go in there and deal with it that way. As you wish. We the elves, will be willing to accompany you into the hole." He glanced hesitantly at Maxwell, before respectfully looking back to Sol. "Will your...human friend be accompanying us?" He asked, with a bitter taste in his mouth.

"I will." Max snapped back sharply, before reeling in response to the glares he received. The leader nodded back to his group, urging them to return to the site at the hole.

"I can only assume so." He sighed, before following behind his group.

---------------------​

"Stay on your guard, men." the elven captain ordered, making sure each of his hunters were guarding one of Sol's sides. "We don't know what we're dealing with here."

"We are dealing with a powerful creature..." Khepri mused, scanning the area around him. "Unlike the monster at the tower, however, mistress Sol. This beast is animalistic. Khepri can feel it now. Yet I cannot pick up its trace..."

Maxwell watched on. What was supposed to be his moment of glory had been stolen from him. He knew in retrospect he couldn't do this alone, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that he'd failed himself. He couldn't appreciate the irony that his limelight had been stolen by the dragon of light and his rider. It frustrated him that he couldn't handle himself in the way that his brother or father would've. In his frustration, he kicked at the ground, knocking a small stone across the cave floor. The stone bounced through the group of elves and fell into a second hole deeper into the tunnel. The sound of it hitting the ground came very quickly and was followed by a sharp hissing sound that reclaimed the attention of the elves. Out of the second sinkhole shot a large black basilisk. It stared fiercely at those below it with its soul sucking red eyes.

Both sets of hunters immediately drew their weapons, taking cover wherever they could find it. The giant snake remained on the surface, quickly pursuing one of the human hunters.

"Sol...Khepri..." Max looked up in fear at his fellow rider and her dragon. It killed him inside, but he knew he wouldn't be much use here. He knew there was no way for him to truly face this thing or save these people. He couldn't be the big hero he wanted to be. He resented himself for it, but it was the truth.

Sol quickly unsheathed her sword and stepped in front of Max. "Stay back! I'll -oof!"

Both riders were suddenly knocked to the ground by a powerful gust of wind from Khepri's wings. "Get to cover! Are you fools, standing in the way of a basilisk's gaze?!" the dragon commanded, urging them towards a pile of tall boulders which the hunters had gone to. The two quickly complied, rolling over to cover and hiding with the rest of the group.

"Whatever you do, do not look into its eyes!" Khepri called out to everyone in the cave. Closing his eyes, the dragon's body suddenly glowing with a faint yellow glow. Even if he couldn't see the serpent, he could sense its light - or lack thereof.

The basilisk wasted no time leaping at the closest target it could find, striking instantly at Khepri's neck, the dragon fiercely keeping it at bay with slashes and tail slams - all of which seemed to prove ineffective to the basilisk's indestructible hide.

"What is he talking about?" one of the humans asked, turning to Sol and Max. "Basilisks don't have anything of that sort!"

Sol winced as she heard Khepri slam into the nearby wall - she could feel every blow echo through her mind. Doing her best to shake off her feeling, she turned to the hunter. "Basilisks are a very unresearched species. Khepri is most likely much more knowledgeable than you on the topic of ancient creatures."

The hunter struggled to argue with Sol's reasoning. While he still had no trust for the elf, nor her allies, he knew he was completely ignorant to the capabilities and wisdom of a dragon. "So what exactly do you plan to do now, rider? It's not as if your dragon is proving much of a match against this basilisk." He spat back, hoping to get under Sol's skin. "And that begs the question...why exactly are you here?" He added, turning his attention to Max. "Maybe if you had a dragon he'd be able to contribute, but as of now, you riders don't seem to be all that useful." As the man continued his terrified ranting, the dragon was again smashed into a cave wall, creating a harsh tremor that unbalanced the majority of the frightened onlookers.

Clusters of stone and dirt fell from the ceiling as a result of the giant crash. One of those stones fell to the feet of a frustrated Maxwell Tybalt. He stood with gritted teeth, listening to the pained roars of Khepri. Not only did it frustrate him to hear his ally going through this, but again he was unable to do anything about it. Even if he couldn't, he would. He'd find a way. He grabbed the large pebble that had fallen at his feet and stepped out from behind the stone pillar he, Sol and a couple of the human hunters had been taking shelter behind.

Sol's eyes grew wide. "Max, what are you doing?!"

"Hey! Stupid snake!" The young boy yelled at the fierce basilisk. Khepri growled, spinning his way out of the snake's grasp and slamming into the wall with his tail.

"Master Max, ret-Gahh!" Khepri began before being slammed back into the wall by the basilisk's powerful own tail. Though it had sounded one sided from behind the boulder, the heavy scratches on the basilisks hide showed that Khepri was admirably holding his own. Though admittedly, his own golden hide was the more severely damaged of the two. What Max could see though, was the near open wounds on the back of the basilisk. If he could hit them with his stone, he could be sure that would do some damage.

Without hesitating, the young rider tossed the pebble across the cave, with the pebble colliding almost inconsequently off of the scales. Though it barely seemed harmed by the attempt at an attack, the basilisk turned its attention to the source of the projectile that had bounced off of its back.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
KLM7rr2.jpg

Hop6U7p.jpg
Maxwell Tybalt
Princess Sol Laetanas​
Swallowed Hole Pt.2

"You idiot! Get ba-" Sol began before getting violently pulled back by one of the hunters.

"Your majesty, no! We must keep you safe from the beast's gaze!" the elf pleaded, standing in the way of Max and Sol. "We cannot risk your safety for the boy."

Before the princess had any time to protest, a deafening, primal roar sounded throughout the cavern. Inches away from Max's face, the basilisk opened its jaw, revealing the poison dripping from its fangs, ready to clasp down on the boy. Suddenly, an audible hiccup was heard as Khepri salmmed into the serpent's neck, sending both creatures rolling along the ground. Taking advantage of the momentum, the golden dragon pinned the snake's head to the ground, momentarily relling his head back before releasing a destructive ray of light from his mouth.

"M-maxwell..." he grunted.

But Max never moved. The boy lay frozen in place, eyes wide open, stuck in the position he had been in when he threw the rock.

"H-he's frozen!" the human hunter gasped.

"Well then, get him!" Rohan ordered, dashing away from cover and sprinting towards Max.

"Khepri!" Sol screamed, tearing away from the elf hunter's grip and unsheathing her bow. She could hear his voice echo in her mind.

Get him to cover, Sol. Khepri has the strength to do this.

"No, no, you can't, you damned idiot!" Sol shrieked out loud, tears streaming down her eyes. She could feel the pain in Khepri's voice - the fading light. "It's too strong for you, GET BACK HERE!" She blindly shot an arrow into the darkness which the pair had rolled to, unaware that to the others, she was just screaming hysterically to herself.

The leader of elves put his hand on her shoulder. "Your majesty, we-"

"WHY ARE YOU NOT ORDERING YOUR MEN TO ATTACK?" Sol screamed, slapping his hand away.

"Princess, we cannot interf-"

She turned to him and stared straight into his eyes. "That's... that's a royal order." she spoke between her teeth.

Both groups of hunters stood there for a moment, unsure of what to do. Both sides turned to their respective leaders. They were no soldiers, but still couldnt help but feel a certain sense of duty at the order they'd been given.

"Understood." the elf leader nodded. He turned to the rest of his hunters. "You heard your princess! Keep the beast pinned down! Do whatever you can to keep it at bay! Do not let the deaths of our brothers and sisters go in vain!"

"Go." Rohan commanded, sending his men to join the formation of the elven platoon. If they were to ever prove to themselves that they could truly protect their families, it would be now.

While his men went to deal with the situation at hand, Rohan turned his attention to the frozen boy laying on the ground. He had heard his men being very critical of the riders earlier, but regardless of the titles that had been thrust upon them, these were still people. Rohan knew a good deal about the history of the riders. It was something he had studied in his hayday, back when he had more free time on his hand. They were mere puppets of destiny. It was no life he wanted to live. Just a boy, and a young woman barely escaping adolescence; in truth, these riders were no more soldiers than he and his men.

Sol winced as she heard another crash coming from the darkness in the cave. She had began hyperventilating severely now, and her hands shook as she notched another arrow. "Everything is fine, everything is fine, everything is f-fine..." the elf repeated to herself, taking a shaky step towards the darkness.

Instantly, she could hear Khepri's voice boom in her mind. Young mistress, what are you doing?! Don't take another step forward! This was followed up by a loud crash accompanied with another deafening roar.

Khepri, you cannot do this alone! Sol pleaded in her mind.

I can handle... Khepri can handle the situation, please! Just, please... do not get in the way of harm, young mistress...

Sol gritted her teeth and tightened her grip on her bow. All she needed was one hit... one shot to illuminate the darkness...

"Just one shot!"

Sol's eyes suddenly burst into blinding yellow light. With all the strength she could muster, the elven princess pulled back a gigantic, illuminated arrow.

"KHEPRI!" she screamed, firing the arrow into the darkness. The dragon knew exactly what was coming. Grabbing the basilisk by the neck, Khepri held up the serpent, just in the right position.

The basilisk shrieked in agony as the massive light arrow shot through its skull, piercing both of its eyes simultaneously. It dropped to the ground, writhing in pain. Sol notched another arrow, aiming this time for the creature's soft underbelly. Any of the doubt the hunters may have had in Sol was gone. Both the humans and the elves, rallied behind the rider, firing a barrage of their own arrows to deal a finishing blow.

Then, limping out of the darkness, the sorry sight which was Khepri's figure reemerged. Battered and bloody, the dragon limped a few meters forward before collapsing onto the ground before the group.

"Khepri!" Sol exclaimed, dropping her weapons to the ground and running towardshim. She knew he was okay, but nevertheless felt a twinge of worry at the sight of him.

The golden dragon turned his head slightly to the huntsmen leaders. "Your men are... within this crevasse. Khepri can sense their light now that the darkness has... perished."

Sol suddenly crumbled to her knees, a feeling of unexpected exhaustion sweeping through her. What had just happened? How had she even managed to fire that arrow? Her mind raced with thoughts of what Krotan had told them about magic.

"Heh..." the dragon chuckled. "Do not worry, young mistress. It takes more than a spiked worm to defeat the mighty Khepri."

Panting, Sol managed to raise herself to one knee. glaring at him.

"And his darling rider, of course."

Another large crash followed the defeat of the monstrous black serpent. The crowd of hunters took stance, expecting the basilisk to re-emerge from the darkness, but instead, a purple dragon crashed in from the hole. As the familiar form stepped closer to the group, it was clear he wasn't the same as he was before. What was once a slender, sleek and jagged dragon, was now a bulky, bulging and muscular figure. This beast made the old Taragon seem like a skeleton of what now stood before Sol and Khepri.

"Brother." Taragon nodded to Khepri, before walking past the duo, and looking down at the frozen body of his rider. "It's pathetic. As if the rider of poison and toxicity is defeated by the venom of a basilisk." He groaned, as he stabbed a claw into the boys leg. While the large and poisonous dragon claw stabbing into his leg would normally have been a near fatal wound for the boy, the paralyzed body of Maxwell barely flinched upon being impaled. "Where is the basilisk?" Taragon asked flatly, to those behind him. While he had been aware of the event that had taken place, Maxwell's incapacitation had been something of an inconvenience to him in monitoring the situation.

Grunting, Khepri hoisted himself up, aiding Sol to get back up as well. "Well, if it isn't the gecko coming back to save our hides." he chuckled.

Sol pointed to where she had fired the arrow. In any other situation, she would have been thankful for the dragon's appearance - whoever the dragon was. But to her, it was finished. All they had come for were the lost hunters, all they had to do was take them out and escape. "The beast... is in the crevasse over there. But we cannot continue fighting it, we-"

"I dont think you have much of a choice. You invaded the basilisks home, and these creatures are far from forgiving. You honestly think you weakened it enough to escape with your lives." Taragon glared into the darkness, aware that the gargantuan could strike at any time. As he expected, the creatures head came at him like a bullet, despite the fact that Sol and Khepri were much closer. He quickly spread his wings, jumping over the incoming snake head and grabbing its neck, before slamming it back into the ground. "Maxwell, finish it!" He commanded to the boy, frantically trying to hold the struggling beast in place.

"I-uhhh..." Max began in a panic. He was faced with the massive fangs of a basilisk.

"DO IT!" Taragon shouted again, now losing his grip on the powerful serpents neck. Max stepped back, far from prepared for what was before him. The boy barely dodged the snakes attack. As it did so, it hit Taragon with a powerful slap of its tail. It quickly turned it's attention back to Maxwell, seemingly realising the connection between the boy and the dragon it had just sent flying into the wall. Maxwell stuck out his hands to protect himself, grabbing onto the fangs in the process.

Instead of using his far superior strength to crush the young rider, the snake reeled back, seemingly pained by making contact with Maxwell's hands, which were now engulfed in a murky purple toxin.

Taragon stumbled out of the thick cave wall, shooting a glare at his rider as he did so. The boy was far too preoccupied with his hands to even notice the message his dragon was sending him. Taragon looked around the room, trying to gauge who would be strong enough to aid him in finishing the basilisk off. "Khepri, how much more do you think you'll be capable off? The quicker we finish this abomination off, the better."

"A knight always finishes the battles he starts." the golden dragon grunted, spreading his wings threateningly. The tussle with the snake weakened him greatly - but a dragon's pride was worth far more than its safety. He snorted, his eyes bursting into light.

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his head. "Khepri, no! You're too weak, you can't go on like this!" Sol begged.

"You are correct, young mistress." Khepri nodded, the permanent smile etched along his jaw making him look almost calm. "But with the two riders at our side, we can."

"I have a plan, but I need you to hit it with everything you have." Taragon said flatly, to no one in particular. He was beginning to grow frustrated with the debating over whether Khepri would help or not. "If I can get a hold of his head again, I'll try to drag him out of the hole. If I manage to get him, I'll need Khepri's help in holding him still. We don't know how big or strong this thing is with its full body. If I don't manage to get the full thing out, I'll need everyone down here to hit it with everything they have." He shot another glare back to Maxwell, knowing the boy was going to attempt to rally with the group as if he had any right to.

Despite them watching aptly for the basilisk's attack, the monster was nowhere to be seen. Again it had hid itself in the shadows, but this time it didnt seem nearly as eager to shoot out of the darkness.

"I think it's gone!" Max cheered in triumph. The group remained unphased by the boys hasty cheer.

Burrowing from beneath the smaller of the two dragons, the basilisk attempted to clamp it's fangs into Khepri, but his Jaws were quickly prised open by Taragon. Despite carrying three passengers, the powerful snake continued, forcing Sol, Khepri and Taragon through the cave ceiling, with the latter taking the brunt of the impact.

Having to act fast to keep his brother and his brother's elven rider alive, Taragon clutched onto the basilisk's head and spread his wings. Using the momentum the snake had given him, Taragon was able to carry all three into the sky, leaving amazed onlookers down below. The snake's long and muscular body stretched for at least 30 feet.

"ELF, GET A SHOT INTO HIS MOUTH! QUICKLY!" Taragon yelled as his momentum began to slow. His original plan was to drop the snake there and then, but with Sol and Khepri perched comfortably between its massive jaws, that wouldn't have been his best move. Taragon began to feel the excess weight become a strain. Even if Sol did kill this thing, Khepri certainly wasnt light. Getting back to the ground was something he'd have to worry about after. Pulling back the last arrow she had in her Quiver, Sol gathered the very last bit of strength she could muster, and fired it into the basilisk's maw.

The arrow shot through its body, illuminating its entire path down the snake's digestive system before shortly exploding into a massive burst of light.

With the weight of the snake gone, Taragon felt a huge weight lifted off of his own shoulders. Not that his job was done however. Khepri could be carried, but he wasn't holding Khepri. He used the last of his strength, hoisting the snake into the hair, and quickly catching the dragon before he fell again. The sudden shifting of weight did him no favours, but he was able to regain himself.

"I would suggest you hold on tight." He said to Sol, before practically nosediving until he stopped at a decent level to drop his dragon brother. As he himself hit the floor, Taragon felt the sharp pain of being shoved through so much rock finally hit him, finding himself falling to rest on his side.

"You did it!" One of the human hunters cried in celebration as he and his companions clambered out of the hole. A handful of unfamiliar faces resurfaced alongside them, presumably the ones that had been lost in the sinkhole. Both groups ran over to their new heroes. Maxwell stayed behind. Having seen his fellow rider and the two dragons pull off such a heroic feat was everything he'd imagined when he was told he was now a rider. What he didnt imagine, was standing aside. Watching from the sideline. He gritted his teeth, again considering how peripheral he'd been during the whole thing.

Almost pinned between the two dragons at her side, Sol gingerely pushed herself up. "Y-yes... it's dead now..." was all she could manage to mumble before collapsing onto Taragon's side.

----------​

"You three have done us a great favour kid. It's been a long time since these two camps have been able to sit together and share our spoils." Rohan smiled to Max as he watched his and the elven camps laughing and breaking bread together.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I didnt do anything. That's why I'm the only one awake right now." Maxwell grumbled with a sigh. He had expected Rohan to rubbish his claims immediately, but the man didnt. Instead, he looked up, noticing that the elven leader was walking over to them.

"My men have apologised, I assume." Rohan said with a sense of obligation in his tone and demeanour.

"Of course." The elf responded.

"So what, you just return to being friends now, as if nothing happened?" Max asked skeptically.

Rohan furrowed his brows. "Of course there will still be tensions. Words were said, camps were raided. There are a lot of things we did that wont be forgiven so easily. You've done us a great favour in that regard." Rohan looked to the elven leader for approval, to which the elf obliged. Noticing Maxwell's disregard for his compliment, Rohan stood up, looking up at the stars as he did so. "You may not have killed the basilisk Maxwell, but what you did do is bring us hope. Many of us haven't seen our wives and children in weeks. They may not have treated you with the respect you deserved. Heck, they may not have even realised it themselves, but you were a reminder to them of their own families back home. You reminded them that those that they were fighting had families just like their own. You gave them hope." He sighed a sigh of relief, sitting back on his stump as he did so.

"It seems ironic that a rider that represents poison can be our idea of hope, but it was certainly the case here." The elven leader nodded reassuringly. Despite the certainty both men showed, Max seemed unsure. He was left no time to dwell on the matter, as the triad of heroes all emerged from the campsite. "Ah, it appears our heroes are rested up. What say you, stay and celebrate with us? We dont normally eat so much of our catch, but today is a special occasion."

"I'm never averse to free food, but we have more...urgent matters to attend to." Taragon responded to the elf, with a strage mix of remorse and excitement in his tone.

"Mmmh... what?" Sol mumbled, still groggy from just waking up. Khepri, who was now in much better shape, stood calmly by her side.

"Your fellow riders have fallen. Krotan wants you to head for Yaltan, where their replacements await. Or at least Ferrus' does. He hasn't said much for the replacement of the the nature dragon. Sometimes I wonder where that man's loyalties lie." He added, reluctantly showing some form of care for his sister dragon.

"Wh-what?!" Sol blurted out, her thoughts instantly racing to Tamber and Pyra for a second, before realizing Taragon had spoken of the nature rider and Ferrus. But then that meant...

"NO!" Khepri roared, slamming his front feet down angrily. "YOU ARE LYING! OUR BROTHER AND SISTER WERE SOME OF THE STRONGEST IN OUR-"

"It was their riders that were killed, they perished alongside them. As we all will." Taragon explained, hesitant to look at his flustered brother. He glanced over to Maxwell, suprised that the boy hadn't been flushed with emotion in the way that he had expected.

The golden dragon lah silent for a moment. "I..."

Sol put a hand on his shoulder. Though she had never gone on a mission with either Flynn or Idora, they had become close friends - almost family, in a way. Doing her best to control her shaky breath, she looked at Taragon. "Then w-we have to move to Pharus at once." She glanced at Max. If anything, she had to stay composed for him - she couldn't even begin to imagine how the young boy was taking the news.

"No. As I said, their replacements have been decided and are in just as much danger as their predecessors. If we are to avoid another incident like this one, we must become stronger together." Taragon stated assertively. "Both riders...and dragons." He ended, exchanging an assured glance with Sol and Khepri.

Jay

Years
x35JIBs.png

kTnFvyj.png

Chapter 3: Heart of Stone​

Zile and Gamvar had decided to take different route on their way to the city of Yaltan in the hopes that they might spot some hint as to what Krotan had warned them about on the way... however in reality Zile had desired time for himself. A few moments to think amidst the chaos of that morning and afternoon. It shocked him still... to think that Flynn and Idora were... dead.

"Dear one... your heart is in more turmoil than I have ever seen it... please, share your burden with me somewhat. I am here to carry your weights and share with you my own." Alyra spoke with a certain tenderness he had grown unaccustomed to from any bar her. Rising a hand from his saddle he dragged it over his face and thought over everything that had happened thus far. The goblins at Redford, the chasing of the thief, the confrontation with Krotan. There was something offputting about it all. Something eerily familiar... and in a way almost, pre-orchestrated? Like this had all been planned out from the start. He relayed these fears to Alyra with a mental sigh at the end.

"It is clear to me, as dragon, that even we are bound by fate Tyron..." She began. "However... I also believe dearly that any chains that bind us can be broken. We are as one with the wind, there is nothing that might hold us down... and let any that try fall before us, even so called fate." She was wise, especially for her age. Zile never ceased to be amazed by the intuition and knowledge of the dragons... something that seemed to come naturally to them, muscle memory of past lives.

Past lives...

"Do you think..." Zile broached the topic carefully. "That perhaps Riders too... are reincarnated?" Alyra let out a deep hum from her chest as she contemplated his words. "There is nothing in the records to suggest as much and I cannot seem to... recall... wait a moment..." She trailed off, growing suddenly silent in the middle of her point, which was unlike her. "Alyra?" Zile asked cautiously, the Dragons mind became flooded with confusion and wonder. "As I attempt to remember information pertaining to that topic I feel a... blockade of sorts. As if my very memory contains some sort of truth, but it hides it from me. Could it be I am not ready? I am young still, so am I not yet worthy enough to remember...?"

Zile pat her neck gently and she jumped a little, startled out of her thoughts. "We shall ask the old man when we return to Pharus. For now the Dwarven Mountains, I believe, are in plain sight... from the maps I believe Yaltan should be-"

"There." Alyra gazed in the direction of a rising smoke stack puffing upwards out of a mountain crevice, she shared her eyes with Zile for a moment... and using her vision he rested his own eyes upon their destination.

"Then let us land... and see this Dwarven city for ourselves."

The massive statues of past Dwarven kings that stood before the Gate of Yaltan were more than a little impressive. Zile knew that such fine craftsmanship could never be replicated in Regalia, nor Luxolis he assumed. None could truly match the Dwarves in stonework and masonry. Alyra could see several Dwarven guards lounging by the gates, but upon seeing her massive wings grow closer, battering the sky aside to accomodate their landing they rushed to attention, with one whom appeared to be a Captain rushing forward with a short javelin in his hand and a large Greatshield in the other. A pikeman, it seemed. It was clear that he was physically resisting the urge to take a battle ready stance.

The evening sky was dull and dark grey with snow clouds as Alyra touched down. Zile stood and vaulted from her shoulder, using a little trick he had worked out with his magic... his sudden wind ability fought against his momentum, thus allowing him to float slowly to the ground. (He had thought about this quite a bit in his bedroom after falling from Pharus castle gate.) The Dwarf captain rose an eyebrow as Zile gently touched down on the ground, his jacket flaring gently in the wind behind him. The dress shirt he wore was in rather nice condition, as were his guardsman's grieves. He had done his best to clean up and polish before meeting the king... though despite himself he had forgotten to shave.

"State yer name... and... business 'ere sir." The Dwarf asked shakily. Zile would have to use some diplomatic advantage here, though he did not relish the life of a noble, living it had given him some reasonable advantages in situations such as these.

"Good evening sir, I am Zile, Rider of the Wind. This is my dragon partner, Alyra." Alyra stepped forward and gave a very gentle bow of her head, to which the astonished Dwarf quickly bowed in turn. "I have come to seek an audience with your king, as was requested prior by my adviser, Master Krotan.

The Dwarf nodded quickly and shook Zile's hand appreciatively when he offered it. "Sorry fer my abruptness ser... I was a bit astonished y'see. Ma grandpappy would tell me about the Riders when I was a youn'un... ne'er did I expect ta meet one in t'flesh." The Dwarf captain bowed low, a hand across his stout stomach to Alyra in particular.

"'Tis the greatest honor of ma life to meet you, Mistress Alyra." He spoke very formally, as if addressing a queen. Zile felt a flood of embarrassment fill Alyra's mind and she fidgeted with her claws a little, unused to such treatment. "O-Oh, ehm... yes... you may, ehm, rise?"

The dwarf was immediately taken aback and took another, deeper bow. "I am honored t'here your voice Mistress Dragon." Zile, growing impatient with the pleasantries tapped the Dwarf on the shoulder and he rose rather swiftly. "Sir Dwarf-"

"Ahh, Reznak sir, Reznak Faultbreaker." As the dwarf introduced himself, Zile nodded recognition and continued. "Reznak... perhaps you might show us into the city, introduce us to your king?" Zile asked rather plainly, though Reznak ran a hand through his grubby brown beard with a pensive expression. "Ahh, I'm afraid Sir Zile, that the King cannot meet you immediately. He has business ta be attending to... but in the meanwhile, 'ere I've been instructed ta give you this." Reznak produced a scroll from his brown and gold doublet and upon opening it up, Zile saw it to be a map of the Dwarven City of Yaltan.

Nt2b8hL.jpg

"I've not been to Yaltan before..." Zile asked pensively. "Is there anything you can tell me about the city?"

Reznak nodded seriously in response. "I've lived here all my life sir... so I can tell ya everythin' ya need to know..."

"From that North gate you'll enter into the city from this 'ere spot. Down South of that upon the lower level you'll see a bridge leading into the Deep Caverns, those being the bowels of the Earth filled with nasty creatures, ancient dwarven mistakes an' even some machinations of the golem age. The city used to go deeper into the Earth, but one day lava was struck and Mt. Yaltan, where our city is clearly based, was awoken as an active volcano. Thankfully few lives were lost and usin' magic the volcano is kept from eruptin'. The place is generally very warm as a result of that, but few residents complain an' we find it comfortable enough. The lava gives off a lot of light as well, which is more than enough for those who spend time underground. Might be a bit harder to see for surface dwellers though.

Halls should be wide enough for Dragons ta fit through and there are plenty of rocky outcropping in the cavern for them to find ample space for rest.

As for ye Riders, you'll see a white number one marked on the map. That's the royal embassy, very large place with as luxurious a room as you'll find in Yaltan. Upon hearing ye were coming the King emptied out a guest wing on the West fer the male riders and one on t'East for the women. The steward there Darson Cliffreach, 'e'll take care of ye. The King has assigned me to look out for ye as well, so I might pop in every once in a while. Speakin' of which, that white number two there mark t'location of the guard barracks. Ask fer me there and I'll help ye or yer companions with whatever ya need.

There's also the red numbers... I thought it might interest ye if ya feel the need for diversions. At the red one, you'll find a notice board full o' request for the guards. We've agreed ta give ya full access to them if you desire, they pay well and it might get you some repute with the Dwarven people as well. All the area South o' t'red number two is a market place forguards. Weapons, armor, supplies... might suit ye well on your business."

"Very good." Zile said, rolling up the map and sticking it into his jacket. "I assume, Reznak, you'll have similar maps and explanations for each of my fellow Riders upon arrival?" The dwarf nodded in response. "Then we shall proceed inside."

"A'ight lads! Open t'gate!" At Reznak's command, six dwarves, three on each door, pried open the massive, carved stone doors that served as the entrance to the city. Zile and Alyra stepped forward, a long corridor of bronze and orange tinted stone gave a welcoming warm glow as they stepped through the gate, which was swiftly closed behind them. With an affirming nod shared, they walked forward... into the Dwarven city of Yaltan.

Chapter 3
Player objectives: (Objectives with * are mandatory)
- Arrive at the Dwarven City of Yaltan. *
- Take a job from the Dwarven Message Board.
- Explore the city.
- Encounter a monster or beast along the way.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
ArnOngK.gif
KQN6aeV.png
Tamber & Pyra
Moving On

Tamber sat quietly inside the dining hall of Pharus Castle, gently sipping on a hot cup of tea. The castle had been quite quietly lately. Most of her fellow Riders were all absent, most of them going on various tasks that Krotan had posted for them. At least, that was what the gypsy had determined to be true. Truth be told, she had not readily been to the board to accept a new job since her adventure with Sol to the former Rider stronghold. Nor had she really taken another task from Krotan in general since she and Zile failed to apprehend the thief that had been trying to steal from the castle. In a sense, she figured that she and Zile managed to succeed in the very least by chasing the mysterious thief away. The ancient Rider had not made any approaches to either of them with word of her return, anyways.

So, rather than take another potentially life-ending task, Tamber had been spending most of her time in the town itself. While she really was not skilled in the form of carpentry, she did her part attempting to aid those who were slowly starting to gather into the rebuilding Pharus township. Some of those who gathered were with children after all. And while she was not capable of reading, Tamber was able to help keep them entertained by recounting various stories that had been passed down to her by the storykeeper from her troupe, occasionally performing dances and songs for them as well. All in all, it seemed to be a rather quiet, yet enjoyable way to help perform her duties as one of the new Riders. It was delightful that sometimes it did not require violence to lend a hand. There was just one problem that really seemed to trouble the white-haired woman, and that came in the form of her dragon.

Pyra had been a bit... distant, recently. Tamber always knew that the fire dragon was a bit more reserved than others, but Pyra had never been that way with her. Whenever Tamber would try and speak with the dragon, doing her best to try and determine what bothered Pyra so... all she received was a quick (yet not exactly believable) reassurance that everything was alright. It was natural that this only concerned Tamber more, but no matter what she did Pyra did not seem to be too keen on revealing what had her so bothered.

"Perhaps it has to do with more dreams...?" Tamber thought, taking another small sip of her tea. "When she started to have the dream about Pharus, she was sort of off... But not in this manner..."

Before she could really dwell on what possibly could be bothering her dragon so, the familiar clearing of throat snapped the gypsy from her thoughts. Tamber looked up to see that Krotan had entered the dining hall. The old man had made himself at home already, going as far as to pour himself a cup of tea before taking a place across the table from Tamber. He was quiet as usual, yet Tamber could sense a change in the air as Krotan took his place across from her. The sounds of the gentle, flickering of the fire echoed through the dining hall, Tamber watching as Krotan stared into the tea he had poured himself before taking a sip of it.

"...Sir Krotan? Is everything alright?" Tamber inquired, not really sure what could have Krotan so bothered.

Krotan glanced up at the girl, nodding. "I suppose I'll get straight to the point... Two of your fellow Riders have passed on." Tamber's eyes widened, the gypsy hastily setting down her tea cup. Immediately, thoughts of Zile and Sol began to rush through her mind. Krotan must have somehow picked up on this, as he took a moment to reassure her. "Flynn and Idora were struck down. Of course, their dragons have passed on as well."

Tamber remained silent, taking in what Krotan had just told her. While the gyspsy was not too familiar with either of the Riders who had been killed, it was still more than enough to fill her with slight concern. The white-haired woman had simply come to expect that being Riders made them more... powerful, as if being on a whole different level than that of the common mortal. In a sense, Tamber figured that one of them dying was just... something that could not happen. Yet, here she was... getting the information that not only one, but two of their numbers had been slain.

"So... Only seven or so of us remain?" Tamber inquired.

"...Not exactly," Krotan replied. "It is this reason that I have come to see you... Most of your fellow Riders have recently departed to meet up with a new Rider."

"A new Rider?" Tamber asked. "I thought all our numbers were already present when we first arrived?"

"Well... As I'm sure you are aware, that turned out not to be the case when Xuric arrived," Krotan explained.

"I suppose that is true," Tamber responded. "So, how can I be of assistance?"

"I would like you to join them enroute to the dwarven city, Yaltan. It was Zile's suggestion, actually," Krotan explained. "Strength in numbers, one might say."

He paused for a moment, handing Tamber a map. It was marked with the direction that she and Pyra would need to take in order to reach the Dwarven city. Tamber accepted the task, and was quick to excuse herself so she could prepare for the journey at hand. She did not have to travel far to find Pyra. The dragon of fire was already waiting for her outside of the castle.

"So, you heard...?" Tamber inquired.

Pyra nodded. "Indeed... As I suggest you must have figured it out by now..."

Tamber nodded in response, giving her dragon a loving pat gently on the side of her face, before climbing up onto the saddle that adorned her back. "I wish you would have told me. I can imagine how painful it must be, losing two of your fellow brothern like that. I'm sure I could have offered you some solace... I also suspect you were not telling me of Flynn and Idora as a way to protect me?"

Pyra nodded. "I apologize... I merely thought it was the right thing to do at the time, Tamber. I... understand your anger with me for it."

Tamber smiled sadly, reassuring Pyra as the dragon stretched her wings before taking off to the sky. "Nonsense. But... we need to be open with each other. I love you, Pyra, and we need to be there to comfort each other in times of pain, not only there for times of joy and victory. All of us Riders and dragons must come together, or else..."

Tamber trailed off, feeling no further need for words. As Pyra soared through the air to their destination of Yaltan, both the Rider and her dragon carried the same thought, hoping that no more losses would come to their kind.

Jay

Years

[/SIZE]
Q7M50eX.png

Tyron Algray
Maxwell Tybalt​
Choices and Intent​

The ride had been quiet, with only the off comment or half-hearted joke being shared between the Riders and their dragons. The silence was telling, no doubt each of them had their reservations, with news of their comrades deaths seeming to affect each of the four in different ways. Thus, there was no time for rest, and the journey to Yaltan was the only thing that could follow such news.

Maxwell on the other hand, had a different agenda. Of course fear was one of the obvious emotions, but the boy was now riddled with uncertainty and curiosity. Who was this new rider Taragon had said was replacing Flynn? How did the duo die? What would happen to Matthew now that things hadnt gone according to plan, and most importantly, could it have been him who suffered that fate had he taken on that mission instead? It worried him that he was so close to being in that position.

Alongside all those conflicting emotions, he felt burdened by a foreign sense of anguish, guilt and sorrow. In the thick of his thought process he hadnt remembered that he was airborne, much less that the dragon beneath him was breathing unusually heavily. He placed his hand on Taragon's side. "You seem shaken." He stated plainly, with a pinch of concern in his voice.

Taragon's gaze returned straight, having glanced back in the corner of his eye when he felt the small hand press against his side. "As you would expect from someone who has just lost their brethren." The dragon responded, with the same lack of emotive content as his rider's prior statement.

The boy paused, unsure of the best way to respond. "Did you even know them?" He asked, rather hesitantly.

Taragon glanced back, seemingly unprepared the such a nonchalant response. He felt the need to give the child some sort of explanation, but couldnt bring himself to say anything more.

Upon arriving, the group were amazed by the stoney architecture of the dwarven stronghold. Maxwell had heard tales of dwarf cities, but he had imagined them to be smaller than this. He'd always thought that dwarves lived underground, and rode on moles in order to dig their way to the surface. He'd read stories about the great dwarf Bordak, who was able to turn things to stone as long as he kept his head clean shaven. This town certainly resembled the one described in the stories of Bordak.

---

Having waved off Sol and Khepri after a short briefing on the local affairs, Maxwell's first thoughts were rest. The basilisk situation had worn him out, and he was honestly not sure how his bandaged wounds were holding up. Strangely, his thoughts turned to his other riders. He considered the fact that he barely knew them. Any one of them could be the next Flynn or the next...he didnt even know the name of the other one. Taragon had said that they were all being gathered here to meet this new rider. He'd have to appreciate moments like those more.

Zile was walking out of the embassy at a steady pace, Alyra glancing down at the town from above, upon a rocky outcropping she had claimed as her own for the visit, provided him with a birds eye view of the crater every time he closed his eyes and peered through hers. The city was a little bit larger than the Pharus township, which was highly impressive considering its location, at least Zile thought so.

A smaller, rather portly dwarf trod along beside him, one Darson Clifreach, steward at Yaltan's royal embassy. He was a rather flush fellow, with combed over black hair and a similar trimmed goatee speckled with white. "So, ehm, yes Master Zile, I assume the lodging was to your liking?" He spoke with the natural stutter yet surprising efficiency of a true busybody. "Yes Mr. Cliffreach, I do believe that the rooms should suffice nicely for the Riders, many of us are not beasts of luxury to begin with, so do not stress so much for the details." Zile was growing rather tired of the Dwarf's obsessive attitude, but he said nothing to the contrary.

"Do you have any idea when your fellows are to arrive My Lord? You mentioned the entourage will be arriving? The King will be most pleased by this tribute." Cliffreach spoke quickly as Zile struggled to get away with a quicker pace.

"Any time now, I expect you to deal with such when they arrive- Ah! Speak of the devil." Spotting Max in the crowd, whom easily stood out compared to the shorter, beardier fellows around him, Zile made a beeline for the other Rider, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and quickly walking away from the embassy... and the dwarf steward whom was struggling to keep up.

"Maaaax! Buddy... come on, let's get out of here and do that thing I said we'd do. Official rider business, all that stuff, you know what I mean, come on now." With that said, Zile began to drag Maxwell away and down some stairs, out of sight of their pursuer.

Max jumped a little as he was dragged away by the older rider. He had no idea what was going on or what 'rider business' was exactly, but he could only assume that for whatever reason, Zile wanted to get out of there and was heroically saving him from whatever torture he himself had just endured. It was a strange feeling, but he was somewhat happy to see his fellow rider, and he was certain Taragon would feel the same after reuniting with his fellow dragons.

***​

Taragon flapped his wings, ensuring the safest softest possible landing onto the cliffside. "Sister." He nodded, acknowledging Alyra, was sitting absent mindedly, looking over the city of Yaltan.

"Brother..." She spoke calmly, quietly, watching Zile and Maxwell from above with great care. "I had wondered where you were when young Maxwell was training and departing for missions."

Taragon glanced over the city himself, taking notes as to the whereabouts of their riders as well as searching for others. "I was attending to some issues I'd left unfinished. Myself and the boy hadn't interacted much between the time I first left his home town and the time Krotan called to us. I was well aware that he was left isolated for that time, but I was also aware that he was far from ready to take on anything that may have threatened his life. That was until the idiot chose to take on a basilisk." He scraped his claws across the stone, leaving large indents on the rocky ledge.

"It is so strange... you and that boy, the way you two behave." She closed her eyes a moment and thought pensively. "We choose whom we spend our lives bound to, Taragon, yet you resent and reject the boy... Maxwell, is his name, in case you have forgotten." She rose from the ground, stretching her wings and turning gentle yet stern eyes to gaze into those of her kin. "It is not my place to judge you, brother... but if the boy is such a fool in your eyes then why did you choose him as your Rider?"

Taragon humbled himself, sitting as he was scolded by Alyra. He knew full well that everything she said was true and he knew the answers to her question. He had already accepted all of it. What he couldn't accept was that he may be wrong. Alyra's words made him fearful. It was his decision. It was a decision he would have to stick with. "What that boy can do..." He paused, rethinking how he worded his explanation. "What Maxwell will be capable of..." He paused again. He glanced down at Max and Zile with an air of curiosity. "Tell me first. Why did you pick yours?"

Alyra smiled gently and gazed down at the two once more, they were walking away from the embassy and down the lower streets. Zile was laughing and pointing some of the more interesting pieces of archetecture to Maxwell, whom he practically dragged along. "Why I chose Zile...?" She snorted a little puff of air from her snout, as if laughing. "Because Zile is a flawed crystal... that reflects the light in a way that spreads it farthest. He is strong willed and capable of great things, he has the potential to do so much more than he understands..." She trailed off and let out a gentle sigh. "But he is broken... he has been mistreated to no end and alone he was set on a path to self destruction. I offered him another path, I am the honing forge to his tempered blade. I chose him because the instant I noticed him I knew I had to... and I knew that together we could do things that might change the very fabric of this world."

She closed her eyes again, before continuing with a softer tone. "That is why brother, I do not understand why you are so distant from Maxwell... do you not think that together, side by side, you could both become capable of so much more? Is that not why you chose him?"

Taragon again scraped his claws the stone wall beneath him and watched as the dust fell onto the town below. "I chose Maxwell for exactly the same reason, sister. The only difference is..." He paused again reluctant to admit the truth. "I'm beginning to have my reservations. He hasnt become what I thought he would become at this stage. As an unhatched, I felt he would be powerful. That he would become, far greater than anyone else. Though I feel I may have overestimated not only him, but myself, and that's the truth of the situation. That is why I am reluctant to allow myself to be weak." His claw was now fully dug into the mountain side, almost tearing a chunk of stone straight out of the wall.

Alyra's eyes softened greatly at her kin's words. she felt a tinge of sympathy seep into her mind as her brothers reasoning became clear in her mind. He was afraid that Max would not become strong enough to live up to his position, so he sought to better himself beyond his limits to make up for what was lost. "Dear brother..." Her voice had softened considerably. "Your fear is something I understand, you do not wish for Maxwell nor yourself to come to harm... but isolation does not a strong one make. Zile taught me as much, when secluded and alone we do not grow stronger only weaker and more distant." She paused momentarily. "Maxwell... he needs-"

Suddenly Alyra froze. A strange sense of dread washed over her form, sending a shiver down her wings and a snarl to her lip. "Taragon... do you feel that?" She thought quitetly as a thought can be. "Something... is coming. We have to get to our riders, now."

Bottling away his vulnerable state, Taragon took to his feet, feeling the same sense of urgency that had alerted his sister. "Of course." He responded, tearing away the chunk of stone he had clasped in his hand.

***​

"...so yes, he means well, but the little steward is rather annoying and pompous for my tastes. Sorry I had to make use of your presence like that to escape, but trust me it was for the best." Zile stretched his arms up Skyward, the warmth from the heated city making him somewhat drowsy. "Was the flight here alright for you, Maxwell?"

They had been walking for a good five minutes or so before Zile deemed it appropriate to explain what had happened. At that point the two Riders were just North of the bridge stretching over the lava filled crater the city was based upon.

"Uhhh...I guess okay works. I flew in here with Sol and Khepri, but neither seemed all that talkative. Taragon was as quiet as he always is, too." Max sighed, glad to finally have someone responsive to talk to.

"Princess too good to talk to you, huh? Ha! Figures..." He shrugged gently and looked down into the embers below. "Then again... the loss is probably hitting her hard too. Though I guess that's why we're here right? To make up for that... somehow. Did you two talk to the Old Man before setting off?"

"We came straight here. Taragon filled us in. Though he seems shaken up over the whole thing. He's not the same..." Max looked away pensively, regretting having mentioned it, but realising it was too late for him to leave a tale half told. "All three of them seemed pretty hard hit by the news." He sighed.

"As they should be kiddo." Zile said, exhaustion seeping into his otherwise energetic voice. "It could have been any of us... if for no other reason than that, it'll wear them down." Zile took the boys self neglect in the passive declaration of care for the fallen as a sort of stoic bravade common among boys his age. Even if he really didn't care about his dead comrades, he was certain that deep down the fear of his own death at least would affect Max. "You hungry? I'm sure the Dwarves make some decent grub in this city. We should grab a bite, my treat."

"Hey, before we do...how much do you know about this replacement Rider that Taragon mentioned. Can they really just have a new riders just like that?" Max asked rather pressingly. It was something he himself had been pondering ever since he heard the news.

"I'm not gonna pretend like I got all the details kid... but from what the old man told me..." He sighed gently and scratched his stubble covered chin. "The World takes precautions. It has... back-ups kind of. Other Riders, ready to take our place if we fall... something like that." He takes a deep breath and looks skybound to the rocky roof above. "It's not the most encouraging thing to hear... and I'm a little sour about the whole, immediate replacement thing but..."

After trailing off again, Zile stared forward for a few moments, lost in thought, before grinning and giving a resolute nod. "Look at it this way, whoever this new person is? They're gettin' exactly what we got. A forced new life and little time to change it... not only that but they've got something dangerous on their tail, ready to take them down at a moments notice if we don't get there first." He pat Max's shoulder lightly and started to walk past him towards the nearest smell of good food. "Way I see it? We Riders gotta stick together or fall apart. So we should do all we can regardless of who this person is, got it?"

"R-right." Max nodded, before following behind.

***​

They had been walking for a good fifteen minutes more when Zile decided it would probably be for the best if he asked the locals for help regarding where to get food. They had found their way to the bridge that connected Yaltan to the lower reached of Nobillis. Reznak had told him how the lava beneath this bridge now concealed what was once a much larger city and Zile found himself wondering just how many buildings lay beneath the molten rock. "Something to remember Max, working folk know where to find the heartiest food in their cities," In response to which the boy looked across the line of intimidating and miniscule workmen. "... excuse me, madame!"

Zile hailed a passing Dwarf covered in grime and oil. There were many balistas, catapults and other siege engines set up along the bridge perimeter and Zile could only assume that this dwarf worked maintenance on one of them, her black hair was tied in a slicked back ponytail and her stern expression was one of tiredness and authority. "Sorry to bother you, my young companion and I are new to town and we were wondering-"

THOOM.

"What on Earth was-"

THOOM

A massive, repetitive beating noise began to resound around the city crater. Small pebbles shook on the ground... and gravel and dust began to float down from the cave top above. All went silent for a few moments, what had once been a bustling street of busy dwarves became a single part of a city of silence. Nobody said a word.

THOOM

Mass hysteria. Dwarven women grabbed their children and began to sprint to the upper levels, people were screaming left and right. Zile turned to Max an expression of confusion and worry on his face before looking back to the Dwarven woman in front of him. "What's going on here?!"

"Ach! I've no time to explain to you fancy pants humans, out of me way!" Shoving Zile aside quickly she moved to a large horn like object made of brass, screaming inside her voice was amplified to a greater volume and Zile found himself envious of Maxwell, whom covered his ears, as he was almost deafened by the noise. "BAR'KANDAL!" She screamed and in response. Dwarves all around moved to the siege engines and began to work them tirelessly, massive spears of Dwarven Iron were loaded into clockwork launchers and steam propellors and tubes whirred and whistled with the familiar sounds of working machinery... but then all went quiet.

"Did we do som..." Max began before being cut off.

"WHAT'S GOING ON OVER THERE?!" The female dwarf, clearly someone of importance, screamed down the pipe again. A group of armor clad dwarven warriors, at this moment charged down the staircases from the upper levels, thirty or so fully equipped men, trained to fight began rushing across the bridge... and that's when Zile saw it.

A massive lizard like creature, covered in crimson scales and with two eyes, black and empty like coal. It's huge fanged jaw was pulled into a monstrous grin. It's huge tail swung around menacingly, tossing stray rocks into the molten abyss below. It had no arms... but its legs were huge, muscular and taloned. Was this what the woman mentioned? Was this a Bar'Kandal?

A JP by Jay and Shak

Jay

Years
tdrSOq1.png

ring-of-kerry.regular.png

ring-of-kerry.regular.png

Coming up to the faint sight of a craggy mountainside, Khazeid sighed as he found the warmth of the mountain more pleasant than the harsh desert heat that he was accustomed to. The source of the heat, the glow of magma down below, illuminated a scene of an impressive looking stone bridge. Khazeid hadn't really seen these types of constucts before. He mentally pointed out the bridge to his dragon partner, who had been taking him on land across many various lands. Zahra took notice, and said to her Rider, "Kaz, we are getting quite close. I can feel it...

With a glint in his eyes, Khazeid responded in his mind, eyeing the incoming scenery, "Then all the more reason to rush on, my dear."

They continued on with a sense of determination, Khazeid looking visibly more and more excited with each passing minute. He was eager to get to the bottom of the dreams that Zahra shared with him, having something stoked within him to pick up an adventure, especially for such a momentous occasion. It was this passion, one that he found himself harnessing to carry on a meager but fulfilling life in the desert, that drew him to the promise of fulfillment that this carried. With such a majestic and beautiful creature and the ever appealing aspect of adventure, he was filled with encouragment.

***​

As he drew closer, he could see a long bridge with a chaotic scene. Both dragon and Rider alike were put on high alert, both tensing in conjunction at what they saw. A giant, horrific creature, an indescribable draconic abomination straight out of Insul Finem. He urged Zahra onwards, for once taking a note of haste and excitement at what this sight was supposed to mean.

"Foreman! Foreman the machines aren't working! They're still overheating from last time, we need a few minutes to cool them off!" A younger dwarf sprinted up, covered in sweat and wearing a pair of working trousers and a white vest. The female dwarf stepped away from the device that made her voice boom so intensely and gripped the man by the shirt. "Those boys are going to get torn up out there! They can't last that long alone so unless you want the lives of an entire Dwarven platoon on your hands I'd suggest you work faster!" The Dwarf's eyes widened in fear and horror at those words. "We can't do anything, foreman! We're working as fast as we're able! The machines won't cool any faster! We don't have the time we need!"

Zile turned to Max with a stern expression on his face. The Dwarven platoon was already half way across the bridge. In the sky, Zile heard the familiar flapping of wings, however it was too cramped for Alyra to use her magic for speed. "Max. Quickly, how much do you weigh?"

"Wha-huh? Why?" Max's eyes widened in response to the rather strange question proposed to him. Having seen the huge approaching lizard, he wasnt exactly keen on the idea of being thrown or launched anywhere, especially not at that thing.

"No time to explain kiddo. We need to help out and we don't have much time before people start dying." With that Zile dashed up to Maxwell and hoisted him up over his shoulder. With a quiet "oof" he managed to carry the younger rider relatively well despite his armoring, weaponry and the resistance from the boy himself. "Christ kid... what's the old man feeding out? Well whatever, try to keep your lunch down."

"Wait..what are you..." Max began in a panic as he was hoisted up against his will.

Opening his mind, Zile connected mentally with Alyra. There were no words that needed to be said and as they connected Zile called upon the magic swelling inside him for a Sudden Gale. With an impossible underground wind at their backs Zile sprinted forward across the bridge at breakneck speeds impossible for a regular man to reach. Within a minute they passed the Dwarven Guards whom looked on in great confusion as Zile slowed briefly to roll Maxwell back onto the ground amidst their rank. Almost immediately he picked up the pace and in the air nearby he heard an aggressive roar.

The dwarves gazed up in shock and awe as the two dragons arrived, Alyra rushed forward and darted under the bridge as Zile threw himself off the edge to land on her back mid-air. A unanimous roar of confidence and strength echoed from the Dwarven warriors and workers both at the sight of Dragon Riders appearing. As Alyra approached it, the Bar'Kandal grit its fangs and produced and unholy howl of anger, before charging down the bridge with renewed vigor.

The beast was knocked out of its stride by a big kick from Taragon, sending it skidding on it's side, before quickly regaining it's balance. "I'd hoped I'd never see one of these things again. Have you ever encountered one yourself, Alyra?" Taragon snarled, before turning to Alyra and Zile for help.

Before Alyra could respond, the Bar'Kandal charged in again, the time directing its anger towards its newest assailant.

With a sudden burst of speed, Alyra dashed forward close enough for Zile to hit his mark. Rising from the saddle, he quickly ran up her shoulder and leapt towards the aggressive behemoth once it's head was turned. Activating Sudden Gale once again, he propelled himself through the air and drew back his gauntlet before connecting a mighty blow to the Bar'Kandal's temple. A large collection of scales became dislodged and the monstrous thing roared another ungodly scream before shifting its body weight, attempting to kick Zile out of the air as he fell lower to the ground. Reacting just in time the Rider tossed himself wayward with another gust of wind, falling off the bridge once again and prompting Alyra to swoop low once again and catch him out of the air.

"Again?! You've fought such a thing before, brother?" Alyra called out to Taragon, Zile also broadcasted his thoughts to both in that instant, not much in the mood for idle conversation. "If you've fought these things before then kudos to you, but unless it helps us right now it might not be the time for idle reminiscence, yeah?!" Enraged by the attacks on its person, the Bar'Kandal dug his massive jaws into the rock wall of the cavern and ripped away a massive boulder sized piece of basalt. Spinning in place for momentum, it waited for exactly the right moment before releasing the lump of stone and hurling it towards Taragon.

While he had improved his own physical strength immeasurably, this monster made Taragon's self improvement all seem futile. Taragon scowled, as he watched the creature effortlessly tear a boulder from the wall. He attempted to dodge, but his body seemed to remember that it hadnt fully recovered after the encounter with the basilisk, alongside a number of longstanding injuries that battle had aggrivated. He could only bring himself to block the boulder with his wing.

Taragon let out a spine shivering roar, as he was knocked over by the hurtling boulder, collapsing onto an island that sat in the western patch of the lava below. His rider watched on in horror, as he was crushed under the heavy weight of the big stone. Taragon was left immobile. His gaze was locked onto Maxwell, and he was unable to look away due to the strain on his neck. His wing was visibly contorted, as it was no doubt broken, or at the very least sprained. Max could nothing, but he had to do something.

"BROTHER!" Alyra howled in her mind, she could sense Taragon's pain and begged Zile to allow her help. With a quick thought of affirmation Zile looked to the bridge. The dwarves had nary faltered despite Taragon's injury and still the Dwarven troop charged forward with renewed vigor. All they had to do was keep the Bar'Kandal busy until the siege engines were ready, that was it.

Once again Zile took position on Alyra's neck, never having tied the straps for flight in the first place. Using his control of the winds gusts, he kept himself balanced upon the flying Dragon's shifting form, somehow managing to remain steady and not fall into the deadly liquid below. Once he was close enough Zile jumped onto the bridge, his boots dragging across the smooth stone as he altered paths and charged forward, his gauntlet clenched into a fist as he drew his hand and a half sword from its sheathe.

Alyra landed beside Taragon, whom had crashed down on a nearby mound of rock, boulder pinning him to the ground. "Do not move Brother... I shall free you of this prison." With a powerful roar Alyra opened her maw, a jet stream of impenetrable wind flowing from her jaws like a thousand blades. Slowly and carefully she drew her jaws across the length of the boulder. Angling herself to tear through the massive boulder without harming her kin.

Zile continued charging forward, the Dwarves at his back cheering wildly as he kept pace with them. "The Riders come! Together we shall slay the beast! Together!" The Bar'Kandal paid them no heed, using its jaws to rip loose another chunk of rock, it hurled it forward, aiming to hit Alyra and Taragon once more. Zile however, would not allow it, hurtling through the air with a massive leap he punched the boulder as hard as he could with the wind at his back. The gauntlet protected his knuckles, but the impact still caused him to wince as new bruises began to form... thankfully it had been worthwhile, as the boulder veered just far enough off course to skim past the dragons and land harmlessly in the lava.

Unfortunately for Zile however, the massive opponent before did not take long to recognize the Rider as the one whom has injured it so severely. It had already dug it's large jaws into the rocks beside it, and tore yet another chunk from the wall. This time, rather than hurtling it at it's assailant, it launched the rocks towards the seige engines. There was an a audible gasp from a number of dwarves as they watched the boulder fly over their heads and crash into the weapons, sending those attempting to fix them, in all directions.

Maxwell knew he had no choice but to intervene. With Taragon down, and Alyra tending to his situation, it was up to him and Zile to take on the monstrous lizard. Easily pushing through the crowd of considerably shorter dwarves, Maxwell found his way to the front of the group and now in front of Zile and the two dragons. "Hey! Stupid Lizard!" He yelled, in a similar fashion to his confrontation with the basilisk.

"You idi-ahh..." Taragon began, before feeling the strain of the giant boulder crushing him again. The dragon did his best to escape, wriggling and struggling frantically beneath the boulder. His efforts only caused him more pain as the boulder's weight shifted on top of him.

"Be still Brother, you must be patient and believe in our charges if you wish to be freed." Carving her breath through the rock inch by inch, Alyra managed to carve off a large portion of the stone and claw it away into the lava flow below... but the boulder was truly immense. It wasn't enough to cut it in half, she had to break it even more, she had to break it even smaller. How could one creature so readily throw something so vast? Rearing up onto her hind legs, Alyra allowed the wind around her to flow faster, amplifying her speed as she sliced at the remaining rock with her claws, chipping away piece after piece in an effort to reach her kin.

Meanwhile, Maxwell ignored Taragon. He charged at the Bar'Kandal, gripping his training sword, ready to do any damage he could with the bluntened blade. Despite the fiersome new attacker, the Bar'Kandal seemed unphased by Max's attack, and simply stamped on the ground, the force of which, caused the boy to bounce and lose his balance.

Having crunched and chewed so many chunks of rock, the Bar'Kandal used the rocky resedues in its mouth to fire pebble pellets at Max. The boy almost managed to dodge, but was knocked back by the force of the rocks, and sent twirling off the side of the bridge.

"Gahhhhh-" He began to scream before a dark-skinned figure grabbed the boy's arm, laying on the bridge and hollered, "Hold on!" Khazeid pulled him up with his one arm fairly easily and plopped him on the bridge sitting down. The much bigger man said to the smaller boy, "I saw you get seperated from your dragon. You must be a Rider like me. I am so glad we were able to get here in time."

Max stared up at the man. This was no dwarf. He wasnt human, and didnt even look like your average elf. He had a strange complexion, and his skin didnt seem as smooth as the likes of Tamber, Lyra or Sol. Then again, he certainly didnt look like royalty of any kind. It took Max moment to fully take in what the man had said. A rider? Was this who they came for? This giant reptile was probably what they were supposed to be saving him from? He thought for a moment. This was the ideal situation to be in. They didnt even need the others. "Your dragon looks a lot less metal than your original, but if you can help us take this thing down, I suppose that shouldnt matter much." He nodded, trying his best to seem as official as possible. It occured to him that if he was to represent the riders, he'd have to do a better job than what he'd been doing until now. He turned to face the Bar'Kandal again. "Thanks for saving me, by the way."

Khazeid nodded, adding, "Glad to be of service. Now, let us vanquish this beast, shall we?" He turned to Zahra, about twenty feet away, who had just seen others of her kin. Her first reaction was awe, that she was reunited with some of her kin, albeit in great peril. Between the beast and her kin, Zahra's more aloof nature was set aside for a more passionate mindset not unlike his Rider.

She turned to her Rider, and chided to him, Come now, we must help out our brethren. We don't have time to waste. Take the boy and let us go. Khazeid turned his focus back to Max, and said to him, "Come, ride on my dragon. We're going to help you get back to yours. We understand that--" Zahra snorted, indicating that time was ticking, and the much taller man got up on the dragon, and gestured to Max to do the same.

"If either of you two can find a way to help Taragon, I'll do my best to hold off this thing." Max nodded to the new arrival. He wasnt sure that he could take this thing, and was honestly fearing for his life, but he wouldnt let himself waver. "Zile, I might need your help again!"

Zile slid forward, lowering himself to the ground as his opponent stomped the space he had just stood. The bridge was smooth stone and with the propulsion of the wind he easily slipped between the Bar'Kandal's legs. Drawing his sword once more he drove the tip of the weapon into the ground to halt his momentum and spin around back onto his feet. Unfortunately, the beast refused to turn to follow him deeper into the cavern from wence it came... it was smarter than he had given it credit for.

He heard Max cry out... the kid wanted to help, but what could he do? The Dwarven platton began building makeshift barricades further down the bridge, preparing for the beast to move past Zile and Max and try to get past them as well. Zile knew it was a fruitless effort. As the beast was, it was near unstoppable to them, it had to be impaired somehow... lest it proceed and destroy all of Yaltan. "Alyra, we need to do something, immediately... or everyone in this city is going to be crushed!" Zile let loose the message as a shout through his mental link, desperate to get the emotional Alyra's attention. "And what is it we are to do Dear One?! The creature is too powerful even at a disadvantage!" Zile grit his teeth. "We do what any good fighter does, we follow a process and remove any advantages our opponent has... we weaken a stronger foe and drive them back! Do you understand what I mean?!"

Zile channeled his thoughts and Alyra received his ideas and plans. With a quick response of affirmation she rose her claw once more and tore into the rock harder than she had previously, unleashing as large a chunk as she could carry, hoping it was enough, but not too much for Zile to handle. Tossing the rock into the air she took off at precisely the right moment, channeling the wind forward to propel the boulder towards the bridge. The Bar'Kandal instinctively ducked, easily dodging the rock... but it realized too late that he had not been Alyra's target. Zile, fueled by the wind coursing behind him, ran up a slope of basalt and launched into the air towards the course of the flying boulder. Through the synchronity of their bond, dragon and Rider timed the strike perfectly and Zile activated Sudden Gale in mid-air to propel quickly downward, his fist colliding with the rock and sending both it and himself hurtling towards the Bar'Kandal. The beast roared in shock as the boulder crushed into its skull and caused it to lose its balance. It stumbled forward, its chest dragging along the smooth stone ridge and it's massive skull resting against the floor momentarily.

The boulder, shattering, sent Zile flying backwards, in the brief moment he had however, Zile saw Max and.... another Rider he didn't recognize? It didn't matter now, whoever he was, he was surely there to help. "Max, whoever you are.... strike now! Quickly! The eyes-" Before he could get another word out he bounced off the ground and found himself winded, as he slid back down the bridge away from the Bar'Kandal.

Unfortunately, for as much as Khazeid and Zahra wanted to help out their fellow dragon, it appeared that the far off location meant that Zahra could not glide over to where her brother lay. She grunted in frustrations as she realized her own shortcomings at not being mature enough yet to fly. "Damn, I can't get up there!" Reluctantly, the duo retreated from where they stood, and went back to where the boy was earlier. Khazeid looked back at Taragon one last time, hating to have to leave Zahra's brother in arms, but instead opted to rejoin the company with the boy and another approaching Rider.

Maxwell had frozen. He was watching on in awe, as Zile and Alyra put together an effective attack on the creature. Now it lay prone, and the oppoutunity was there for him. While his effectiveness previously could've been questioned, he saw an oppourtunity now that would undoubtedly change that. Without even thinking, Maxwell began to charge for the beast. If he wasted a moment longer, his life could've been at risk.

Upon arriving to the, still groggy and prone body of the Bar'Kandal, Maxwell made short work of climbing huge head of the beast. He found himself at the eyes - seemingly the only soft part of this things body. He glanced over to Zile, making sure his fellow rider was out of range of any kind of danger that may have came following what Maxwell was about to do. The boy drew his training sword, which was varnished with a subtle purple gleam, and drove it down into the squinted eye of the Bar'Kandal.

The creature's breaths began to get quicker and deeper. Maxwell wasted no time in climbing back off the beast. Though he barely landed back down on his feet, Max was able to scurry out of danger. He could hear the stone behind him crack, and felt a strange pain in his chest as the monster let out a deafening roar.

"I think I did it." He sighed a sigh of relief, ignoring the seismic signals that the monster was in fact, still functioning. In fact, before he even realized what was happening, the Bar'Kandal was up again, its still functioning eye was stretched open unnaturally wide and glaring at the boy... but overall the beast was weaker, more desperate, more aggressive than ever before, with a bounding leap it began to charge, the bridge creaking and cracking with powerful leaps as it moved with the intention of crushing Max into paste.

The raging beast plowed towards the boy, who was now reeling in fear. As the Bar'Kandal's gaping jaws were about to close in on Max's helpless form, a volley of pointed stone shards rocketed through the air, striking the beast's head straight-on, knocking it away from it's victim.

"Ah, lads, looks like ye could use some help here!"

A dwarf and another dragon approached, the former with a hearty smile on his face, axe drawn. Gamvar jumped off of Grom, landing at the feet of Max. Helping the boy to his feet, the dwarf's looked him over. "Are ye alright?"

The young rider looked down at the dwarf, before breathing an exhasperated sigh of relief. "Thanks. A lot." He muttered, glancing bregrudgingly at the Bar'Kandal. The boy was quickly realising how hopeless he was in this situation, no matter how hard he tried to convince himself otherwise. He'd done about as much as he was capable of, so he understood that the others could handle the rest. Zile had already shown what he could do, and Gamvar's timely interference was enough to convince Max that the dwarf was more than competent himself. Even this new rider seemed to be doing his part by helping Taragon. Max sighed.

"Nae a problem, lad. Now, how about we take care of this lizard?"

Maxwell's eyes lit up at Gamvar's suggestion that he help with taking out the huge creature. With increasing failure beginning to take its toll on the boy's confidence, and his ability to feign it, the dwarf's rallying cry was a breath of fresh air. "Right. I th-"

Grom took a step forward. "Where is Taragon, young one?"

"He's...he's down there." He gestured for Grom to follow him, pointing him towards the small island, on which both Taragon and Alyra had found themselves, with the latter still doing her best to safely free her kin. "I think Alyra's helping him free, but it's a big rock." He added, with a sigh.

The dragon of stone looked at Gamvar, who nodded in wordless agreement. "I shall go assist Alyra and free Taragon. Do not worry, small one." Grom projected, turning back to Max. Unfurling his rough, stone-laden wings, he flew down towards the pinned dragon.

It had not taken long for the reptilian monster to right itself, and it now glared at the two figures before it, one eye still oozing viscous black blood. It bellowed a deep, enraged roar, and pawed the ground, readying itself to claim it's meal at last. It was interupted however, as it swung its tail around to the sensation of feet padding along the apendage, it furrowed its one working eye in aggression at the sight of Zile, whom had taken the lapse in combat to catch his breath, it swung it's head and tail in a full three sixty, attempting to flick Zile away, but the man only used the momentum to jump up and over the creature, to land on the other side, using Sudden Gale to break his fall, Zile slid to a stop beside his fellow Riders.

"Gamvar! Nice of you to take the time to join us, you know we don't these group outings often enough... I've been thinking of setting up a schedule."

The dwarf chuckled. "Ah, Zile, glad ta lend me axe. Do ye have a plan ta deal with this beast?"

"Its strength is its weakness. The huge jaw is great for crushing whatever gets close... but the rest of its head is fragile. If we can get close to it we might be able to break the jaw by attacking a weaker part of its skull." Zile drew his sword and prepared himself as the Bar'Kandal readied itself for another charge. "The problem here... is getting up there with the dragons pre-occupied."

"Ye've got those fancy wind powers. Can ye give me a boost ta it's noggin?" Gamvar replied, glancing from the monstrosity to Zile. The human did a double take in response, glacing at Gamvar with a raised eyebrow and a devious twinkle in his eye. "I mean... I could try, you sure about this though? One wrong move and..."

The dwarf laughed, and clapped Zile on the back. "Aye. After all, I've always wanted ta try flyin' for myself." Zile smirked and extended an arm to Gamvar at that, realizing they didn't have much choice to begin with. "Then hold on... and don't let go until I give the word, got it?"

The latter nodded, and took hold of the taller man's arm. The Bar'Kandal had begun it's charge, and time was running short. Once Zile had a firm grip, he positioned himself in the appropriate stance, his feet held together to act as a center of gravity. "This better work..." He thought to himself before swirling Sudden Gale around him like a vortex, working his steps to flow with the raging wind, Zile cast the spell over and over until his feet couldn't keep up and he had to dig his heels into the ground to spin in place. Several members of the Dwarven platoon covered their eyes as dust and gravel began to flow towards them, carried by magical winds. It didn't take long for Gamvar and Zile to become a blur of colours and speed... Zile focussed as best he could, waiting as the right moment passed over and over and...

"Gamvar! Now!" Zile released his grip on the Dwarf in that moment, angling his friend towards the skull of their monstrous foe.

Gamvar and Zile released their hold, and the former flew into the air, propelled by the centrifugal force of the spinning. Soaring into the air, axe drawn, the dwarf sailed towards the Bar'Kandal's large cranium.

However, the creature was quicker than it appeared. Sensing an object flying at it's skull, it quickly whipped around, opening it's jaws to catch and demolish the debris. Gamvar's eye's opened in fear as he realized that he was hurtling straight into the gaping maw of the lizardlike monster.

He could hear Grom's voice in his mind, as he experienced the same distress through their mental link. It could be the end, and if it was, neither was prepared.

No.

Not today.

A sudden wave of confidence and fortitude washed over the rider and dragon like a crashing wave. Today would not be the day they would fall. They were strong as stone, and refused to crack, whatever may happen. It was their destiny.

All of this processed in near to a few seconds, as Gamvar flew through the air and into the waiting mouth of the Bar'Kandal. As the teeth of the beast came sliding down, Gamvar braced himself.

A loud crack sounded, followed by a wail of pain. All eyes shifted to the monstrous reptile, which spat out two large, shattered teeth. In the place where they had been, stood Gamvar, unharmed, looking just a surprised as the beast.

It didn't take long for the shock to wear off, and the Bar'Kandal began to shake it's head violenty in attempt to expel it's attacker. Gamvar was knocked loose from the creature's mouth, and fell towards the bridge below.

Below the bridge, Alyra had succeeded in putting a large crack into the boulder that covered Taragon's wing, but had not broken though it. Grom, reaching the two other dragons, took one look at the thick stone before bringing a thick foreleg down hard upon it's center. The boulder shuddered, but held. Again, the stone dragon pummeled the rock with his leg, and this time it shattered into a could of shards and fragments, freeing the trapped dragon underneath.

Just as he did so, Gamvar fell from the mouth of the Bar'Kandal. Grom immediately took off, flying as fast as he could to reach his companion. However, gravity was not on their side, and the bulky dragon could not match Gamvar's descent. Grom could only watch as his rider made contact with the bridge, creating a small crater.

"Gamvar!" Zile cried, before rushing towards the dented area, the stone splinteirng upwards around the area where the dwarf had fallen. The damn bulky lizard had been faster than Zile had given it credit for... and Zile might have lost another friend... yet he heard Grom flying closer, if Gamvar truly had been killed, then how did his partner still function? Sure enough, Grom flew over to where Gamvar had fallen. His mental link told him what to expect, but he had to be sure nonetheless. And it was true. In the middle of the dwarf-sized indent in the ground, Gamvar was unconscious, yet nearly completely unharmed, but for a few scratches and bruises. It had seemed that their bond had saved him, allowing him to tap into the magic of stone.

Zile lowered himself to his knees and lifted Gamvar's head up from the crater, checking the Dwarf's pulse and vitals. He seemed... fine, really, despite being knocked out cold. Zile had to assume that Gamvar had activated some sort of magic to save himself at the final moment, damaging the Bar'Kandal in the process. Speaking of which, the massive lizard was still standing, bleeding from the eye and mouth... as well as the wound still oozing on his head, it stomped forward with aggression. Zile had to move, but he couldn't leave Gamvar behind, if he could just get him onto Grom in time... but then what about Max? He could move fast, but he wasn't lightning, damn it. There wasn't anymore time to think, he had to do something, anything or-

"Enough!" Zile heard Alyra's voice boom in his mind... and from the expression of the nearby Dwarf platoon it became clear that they heard it too. Like a gleaming white arrow, Alyra charged up from the lava lake below and drove her clawed talon into the side of the Bar'Kandal as it charged, causing it to sprawl to the side and stop in its tracks.

"I have lost my brother!" Alyra drove her claws into the gap where the Bar'Kandal had lost two teeth and pried, using wind to force her limbs outward and causing the creature to roar in pain as a chunk of it's jaw cracked and tore out with her claws. "MY SISTER!" She reared up and brought down both sets of claws, tearing gashes in the weakened creatures side and pushing it further back. "I will lose NOT A SINGLE PERSON MORE. Not to a wretched beast like YOU!" The creature dug its claws deep into the bridge and held on with everything it could as Alyra gripped it tightly, her claws rending its crimson scales, piercing its flesh as she pushed it towards the edge. "Fall! Damn you, fall!"

The beast staggered backwards, but held it's ground. Alyra continued her assault, but the Bar'Kandal resisted, desperately thrashing to stay on the bridge. As Alyra pushed and clawed once more, Grom surged forward, slamming into the creature's legs, causing it to tip backwards and lose it's balance. The force from the wind dragon's slashing combined with this, the beast let out a final scream as it toppled into the bubbling lava below the bridge. There was a sickening splash of viscous liquid as the beast met its demise, as Zile looked over the side he watched in disgust as the cales and flesh of their opponent began to melt away, dripping into the boiling lava and leaving not but a charcoal skeleton... and before long that too was swallowed by the pool of death... and with that the Bar'Kandal was gone.

***​

A moment of silent passed, Alyra calmed herself, the foe defeated with Grom at her side, Zile held the head of the unconscious Gamvar aloft as Max stood beside them both. In the distance the new rider returned as the area finally went quiet...

And then the city erupted in cheers, the Dwarven platoon charged forward and began patitng Zile and Max on the back, crying and hollering at the top of their lungs. "The Riders have done it! They killed the Bar'Kandal! They've saved us! Saved Yaltan!" Women and children emptied out of their homes and a procession came to greet the new heroes of the city, the people met Kazeid first and swarmed him and Zahra with praise and adoration, before reaching the other three and assisting in lifting Gamvar to be carried to safety.

Emerging then from the crowd was the portly steward Dwarf whom Zile had ditched some time earlier, even he was overjoyed, his dress shirt askew and his spectacles tucked into his pocket. Reaching up to tap the kneeling Zile's shoulder he spoke loud as he could over the excited crowd.

"Things have changed Lord Zile, King Steelbeard would like to talk to you and the Rider of Stone immediately."

A JP by Jay, Shak, GreyBidoof and Fen-Kun.

LinearAxel

That Dream...Make it Come True!
Years
Lyra Aldavul
lyra_zpsdothg6gw.png
Her head was still swimming, and she still wasn't entirely sure how long she had been out, yet Krotan didn't make it seem like there was time to ask questions. He urged her to follow the others towards the mountains as soon as she felt capable of maintaining a grip on Lorelai while she flew, explaining that a chain of events had gone off, causing their situation to spiral a great deal faster than anyone foresaw…but that was all he was willing to tell her. The rest would be explained when she was reunited with her fellow riders, as the story would take too long to tell, and her presence was needed as quickly as possible.

It's all so ominous, and Lyra's certain the churning in her stomach is as much a reaction to the feeling of impending doom as it is a reaction to her spinning head.

Perhaps we should have given your mind another day to recover.

"I don't think we have another day." Lyra admits. Not from the way Krotan was speaking… "And we're close, right?"

Yes. I can feel my brothers and sisters below. Hold tightly, Little Elf.

Lorelai's wings hold steady as she lowers her body from the sky, and into the chasm below.

Foxrally

Years
JK7uAmy.jpg
Tamber
Princess Sol Laetanas​
Bottoms Up​

Tamber had never visited a city of dwarves before. Despite the heavy air that was still hanging about from the passing of Flynn and Idora, the white-haired gypsy felt a small sense of excitement being there. Of course, it was not the smoothest of sailings. The woman had a small bit of trouble at the city's gate, wherein the guards did not seem to be too convinced that she was Rider. Tamber could not figure out why they would have such an issue understanding that she was. Luckily, Pyra was able to somehow ease any doubts that they had... Or rather, the dragons of her fellow Riders helped to prove who they were.

Now, Pyra was off taking a rest after there long travel to Yaltan. All while Tamber decided to check out just what sort of sights the city had to offer.

"It's so different from Pharus or any of the cities I visited back when I traveled with father and the troupe," Tamber mused. "It's almost like being in another world..."

"I can understand your curiosity, but do you not think it would be a better idea to meet up with your fellow Riders?" Pyra inquired, concern evident in her tone. "Krotan did not exactly send you here for sightseeing..."

"That's true, but... We don't even know if the rest of our group has arrived, yes?" Tamber questioned back. A small smile tugged at her lips. "There is no rush into getting down to business until we have all arrived into the city. Don't worry, I'll be careful... For now, just keep me posted on when the others arrive."

Once she had spoken her mind, Tamber resumed her exploration of the city. Truth be told, the white-haired gypsy knew that Pyra had a point. Krotan had sent her and most likely the rest of her fellow Riders to Yaltan for a reason. However to be honest, Tamber was in no real hurry to act upon his orders. The loss of Flynn and Idora, though she really did not know either too well, had happened so suddenly... she really was not ready to fully move on.

"...mayhaps a drink would help," Tamber mused, her eyes lighting up slightly as she spotted a building that she would find familiar in any setting... A tavern.

-------​

Having taken their leave from Maxwell and Taragon shortly after a quick briefing, Sol and Khepri made their way through the wide streets of Yaltan.

"The city''s certainly changed since my last visit..." Sol said, looking around at the impressive structures the dwarves had built for themselves.

She was met with a quiet grunt of agreement from Khepri - an extremely uncharacteristic response from him.

Sol sighed. "Khepri, none of this was your fault. Moping over Ferrus and Morenth is not going to bring them back. The best and only thing you can do is to honor their passing."

Khepri suddenly stopped, bowing his head. "You do not understand, young mistress..." he began.

"Oh for heaven's sake, Khepri, we literally share a single mind! I understand completely what you're feeling!"

The dragon bowed his head and sighed. "But... If only we had gone with the original mission, then we-"

"Then what? Then it would have meant Max and his dragon's death, not to mention countless of innocent lives which we saved back there!" Sol interrupted again. Taking a deep breath, she patted Khepri on the shoulder. She could feel Khepri's struggle herself, how his knightly pride had been broken by the untimely death of two of his allies - but it was no time to cry over spilled blood, especially now that a new rider had been spotted.

A few more minutes passed with the two walking in silence, before Khepri suddenly stopped. He looked up at the sky. "I can sense lady Pyra and Tamber from here. If you head forward for a little longer, you should find the latter. Now if you'll excuse Khepri..."

Sol nodded, smiling. "Take care of yourself." she said, patting him on the head. She watched as the dragon took off and flew into the distance, garnering a few looks of wonder from the crowd below.

---------​

Heaven's sake, Tamber had to pick a tavern, of all places in a dwarf city... Sol thought to herself as she entered the busy pub. The entire place reeked of men and alcohol, the heat from the forges around the city only worsening the stench.

Ignoring the inevitable cat calls in her direction, she looked around nervously, searching for her fellow rider.

The elven princess did not get to proceed much further into the tavern before another cat call managed to reach her direction, one that sounded a bit more... feminine than the others, albeit with a similar slur added on. "And here I wash shinking that the only patrons here were a bunch of short, shtubby guys. It's nice to shee a change of shcenery, especially one as delishious as you~"

Sighing in exasperation, Sol marched over to the white-haired gypsy, who was in the company of 2 equally white-haired dwarves who had clearly had one too many drinks (which was impressive for their race, she thought). She grabbed her hand, pulling her away from the men.

"Tamber, please, let's talk outside." she pleaded, beginning to direct her towards the exit.

"Now hold on a moment... " Tamber began, a grin gracing her lips despite the fact that she practically stumbled forward. "Don't you think it would be rude of me to just abandon my new friends? Beshides, now that you're here, our group would be even..."

"They are not your friends, Tamber, they are drunk." Sol hissed. "And I'm starting to think so are you."

"Don't be shilly, I'm perfectly fine," Tamber slurred out with a giggle. "I've only had four or sho... I just needed to take some time out... relax a bit."

"Well, we can 'relax' outside. Now come, let's-"

"Wait a minute," Tamber said, fumbling back towards the table where she had been sitting just a few moments ago. The white-haired gypsy quickly grabbed the mug she had been drinking from. It was still half full from her current serving of ale, exactly the number of which Tamber had lost count of long ago. "You didn't come in here for nothing, did you? Come on, at leasht have a drink with me!"

"What? No!" Sol instantly refused, shaking her head vehemently. It was out of the question that she'd allow herself to partake in the activities of dwarves, let alone in one of their taverns. "I don't drink- you know that. Can we please just-"

"You're sho uptight, Shol! Don't you know how to let loose and have shome fun?!" Tamber inquired, a bright and somewhat goofy looking smile stretched across her lips. She took a moment to down the rest of the contents of the mug, letting loose a somewhat satisfied-sounding sigh as she smacked her lips. "We jusht losht two of our own and you were shuccesshful in your last job, right? I think this callsh for a bit of time to unwind!"

Somehow, without even looking back behind her, the gypsy managed to place her mug perfectly on the table. Without a word exchanged, one of the dwarves she had been sitting with took the mug, filling it to the brim with more of the dark-colored ale from a barrel located not too far behind him. He was quick to return the mug to Tamber, who in turn was quick to pass it towards Sol.

"Lemme tell you about life!" Tamber insisted. "It's short, even for us! Old man says we're immortal, then boom! Flynn and Idora get killed... Jusht showsh you gotta live it up while you can!"

Grabbing the mug to stop Tamber from spilling it all on Sol's dress, the elf princess looked down into the liquid. Her face scrunched up into a disgusted frown as the stench of the drink hit her nostrils. "Wha- those were our friends, Tamber, what's gotten into you?" she hissed, shaking off the smell. She looked in disgust at the dwarves in front of her, then back to the drink she was holding, repulsed by how this drink could change people so much - and so quickly. Drinking was a very rare occasion in Luxolis; with only royal weddings and important meetings having alcohol served there - the former of which happened so rarely she hadn't seen one yet - so the sight of seeing so many people revel in the drink was still an uncommon concept to the princess.

Sol tried her best to remain calm, and set down the drink on the counter, carefully avoiding the dwarves sitting next to Tamber. Hopefully Tamber was still able to make her way out of the building.

Tamber shook her head. "They were our friendsh, yeah..." she replied to the elven princess. "But they're gone now... and how do we know that none of ush are gonna be gone tonight... or tomorrow? Remember our firsht misshion? We could've died there, yeah...? And it'sh not like it'sh the firsht time Krotan sent ush on a job like that... What if next time shomething happensh to Zile, or... or Max... or you...?"

"I..." Sol stammered, but soon regained her composure. "I can take care of myself!" she said, stomping the ground with one foot.

"Come on... haff a drink wiff me... In honor of them," Tamber pleaded. Glancing over her shoulder, the gypsy gave a small look to both of the dwarves at the table. Despite the amount of alcohol on her breath and in the air, they both seemed to grasp the concept of what Tamber was getting at, both of them raising from their chairs and shambling off to other corners of the bar. Once they were gone, Tamber returned her focus to Sol, giving her fellow Rider a sincere look (as much as she could given her current state), before pushing the mug forward. "Please...?"

Sol frowned, hesitating. "Tamber, you can't be... I'm a..." she paused momentarily to look around, as if looking for someone who might recognize her. "It's... in their honor." she muttered to herself as she sat down. Looking back down into the mug, she closed her eyes before gulping down almost half of the glass in a single go. "T-to Fly... Flynn and Idora!" she blurted, raising the (admittedly fairly heavy) glass at Tamber.

A joint post of Foxrally and Jill Sandwich

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
BLt9B3X.png

A NEW RIDER

Maxwell Tybalt & Kazeid

Maxwell fidgeted in his seat. The nervous twisting of his cup made an oddly satisfying scraping sound that seemed to put him at ease. He had barely gotten used to Zile and Gamvar, and now they had gone and left him with this...deputy rider. He didn't really have a problem with the man, especially considering he did save his life, but he didn't even know what the man was, let alone if he had anything in common with him. They had come to find this guy, so sitting in this tavern instead of going back to Pharus seemed pointless to the child. Honestly, it was eerie. He was sitting next to a man that had replaced the people he'd met barely a month ago. People that were the same as him, yet so different. He bit his lip, looking down at his reflection in the cup of water. Pharus hadn't been good to him, and he had been quickly forgetting who he was before. He'd risked his life twice against giant reptiles, and the strain of life was really taking its toll. He missed his boring life. He missed his parents. He even missed his stupid school. As much as he'd been trying to avoid the reality, he knew life was going to get harder. Life was going to get crueller and more unfair. If he couldn't be himself in his own life, whatever he was now would never survive. He'd have to open up to his new alli...his new family eventually. "So,uhhh..." He felt his body tense up as he opened his mouth, but continued anyway. "Again thanks for saving me earlier." He left another short moment of silence before continuing. "So how did you end up finding a dragon? We don't get new riders everyday, you know." He joked halfheartedly, killing himself internally.

With an excited energy and a sort of flourish with his tunic, Khazeid exclaimed, "'Twas no problem at all, young one. As for why I'm here, well, I had a dragon hatch from some beautiful trinket at a bazaar. And an even more beautiful creature emerged from it, wouldn't you agree?" His voice, while relatively deep, had a lilting and upbeat quality to it.

"That simple, huh? Seems awfully convenient for something that was your destiny." The boy shrugged, regretting his decision. Given how his week had gone, he wasnt too prepared for a vibe as upbeat as the ones Khazeid was giving off. Then again, he rarely ever was. "Wait, speaking of destiny being convenient...how did you find us? If you're the guy we're looking for, I'd imagine Krotan didnt send you." Max sprung into life, his mind conjuring all sorts of conflicting ideas.

"I do not know about this Krotan you mention. My partner lead me to this city. She had some visions of a girl with a dragon in peril. Two different ones, actually." He furrowed his brow as he thought about what he had seen. "All I knew was that I had to be here in Yaltan."

"Some girl? Wait...you had vision about some girl with a dragon in danger, and you end up saving me?" Maxwell tapped his chin pensively. "Either destiny's playing a bad joke, or we've still got a job to do." He sighed. "Do you remember what she looked like? It's still possible you could've seen Idora, which would make you...the new rider of Healing and Nature." Max grinned, happy to have finally been able to put the pieces together. It was quite an accomplished feeling that he could say he was the one that found the rider Krotan didnt even know existed.

As Khazeid recalled his dragon's visions, he scratched the stubble on his chin and replied to the boy, "Hmm...the first woman in my vision seemed to be cloaked and riding upon a green dragon. Is this the Idora you speak of?"

"A cloak is about as much of Idora as I can remember." Max replied, returning to the pensive expression he wore earlier. "I'd say that's a safe bet. What about the other one? You said there were two, right?" He took a last sip from his cup, before glancing around the bar. This conversation was just a reminder to him of how much he'd been changed since becoming a rider. He hated to admit when he was scared, but he had been, and the shell he'd curled up in had only brought him further away from feeling secure in his new position. Idora had went on the mission that he had asked Flynn to go on, as if that didnt make things worse. He returned his attention to Khazied, trying to repress the remorse and regret that had been bubbling up inside of him.

"Indeed, there was another one. The other girl appeared to be much younger and had a...metallic dragon. Yes, I definitely recall seeing the twinkling of its scales and the gleam it gave off."

"So that'd be it then." Maxwell said with a sigh, stepping down from his, surprisingly size appropriate stool. "Do you know where she was? You were able to find us, so I'm assuming your visions can lead you to her too. We should probably go tell Zile and Gamvar, if we can go and find her now, we should be able to start heading back to Pharus before the night falls." He grinned, heading for the door.

With his own grin, he exclaimed, "Yes, young one, you have the proper spirit! Let us go and and save the poor girl from certain doom!" He joined Max heading out of the pub.

---

Seperated from her Rider temporarily, Zahra approached the cave where she had seen Taragon being .<<< ? The dragon who had been hurt, Taragon, had been helped to hobble over to a cave. Her first instinct was to maintain caution when approaching Taragon, anticipating him not being in the best mood after being messed up like how he was. However, as the dragon of healing and nature, Taragon surely would want to see someone who could help him out with his injuries. Entering the cave, Zahra found Taragon in a pretty poor state, trying his best to rest. To cut to the chase, she spoke to her brethren, "Taragon. Brother. I see you are in need of some help."

The purple dragon laboriously raised his injured neck, almost instantly dropping it back down in a numb heap of pain once he'd seen the figure calling to him. He left his eyes half open, staring at the wall in front of him. "If there's any way in which you're capable of helping, you'd be doing me a great favor. Sister." He responded rather flatly, with the last addition carrying a little more passive aggression than what was probably necessary.

Ignoring the passive aggressiveness of the last comment, Zahra approached Taragon closer and commanded softly, "Hold still." The brown dragon took a deep breath, and exhaled a faint, white mist directly in Taragon's face, to which he flinched in response. Rather than being an attack of some kind, it was quite the opposite, easing the purple dragon's pain. In wake of the whatever it was the new dragon of nature and healing had done to him, Taragon could now once again feel his limbs. As he tried to stand, his body fell limp again under the weight of whatever had been crushed by the large stone. He certainly felt better. Whatever this dragon had done, helped him, but hadn't fixed him.

Zahra tilted her head a little at the effectiveness of her magic. Probably due to the fact that she was not yet fully mature, her healing breath did not have as much power as she would've thought. The brown dragon asked, Better? I...think my breath isn't powerful enough yet to completely heal you of your ailments.

Taragon let out a dissatisfied huff, but remained quiet for a moment. He again strained his neck as this new dragon walked deeper into the cave and sat just beyond the stretch of light. "Soon, sister. I'm sure of it." He responded with a sigh, relaxing his neck again.

A JP by Shak and Fen-Kun.

Back