• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rival Discussion & Speculation

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
    I'd like too see something like Barry. Eccentric, and friendly, but with a competitive streak too.
    The most important thing though is the ability to NAME YOUR RIVAL!

JolteonUsedOutrage

National Pokedex Completed!
    Years
    How about 2 childhood friends. 2 rivals. 1 good 1 bad, we battle throughout the game, and the bad one turns out to be part of the evil orginization? He was brainwashed and drafted by the Org Boss and raised through the ranks fast. Then we team up with the good one in order to change his mind and get our friend back. Maybe in the end we and his mega pokemon change his mind and all team up to save the world!

I would really like a rivalry that would be a little darker :D

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Tougher rivals! I was about to save the world in X/Y when I heard "Hey, lets walk together!"
    I just thought "WHAT THE HECK GET OUT SHUT UP YOU STUPID...."

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    I like the old one rival battle-out thing, but I wouldn't really mind multiple rivals, if it isn't off the limits of course. Overall, I'd pick one rival.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I like the return of the classic rival like how it was in the first gen. The rival that you truly wanted to defeat because he/she's the kind of person who was always the step ahead, while making fun of your lack of progress. Also, I'd like to have a rival for this gen to have a much bigger impact on the story like having an involvement in dealing with the baddies, kind of like how the rival was portrayed in Pokemon Origins.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
    I kinda want a scenario where we have the opposite gender protagonist as one rival (Brendan/May type role) and then a Green-type rival to go along with them. That's one thing we really haven't seen. They've done the friendly neighbor rival. They've done the bratty spoiled rival. They've done the criminal rival. They've done a friendship harem. They haven't really done a combo of Gen III and Gen I rivals though. I think that'd be perfect. I guess you could kind of consider Cheren and Bianca to be the type of rivals I want, but Cheren was always boring to me and Bianca just kinda gave up because she realized she sucked. I want cool rivals that fill those roles.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It would be an interesting dynamic if your rival was a part of the villainous team, if they choose to include one this time. So a non-boss character who specifically goes after you, but only when the evil team is around. It could open up the possibility for some intriguing backstory, too.

Years
    Arrogant and friendly rivals have been overdone, try something new. Maybe the rival secretly being the son/daughter of the "villainous" team leader. They could be seeking asylum, secretly against you, allied with you, or neutral.

Last edited:

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I would definitely like the return of a rival that poses a threat.

I'd like them to include like smart AI, which would make the rivals team the same level as our highest level for example.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'll be nice if the rival got the opposite version's mascot like N did in BW. Then post game we can have a battle between legends, especially if they do the same level as our strongest member thing.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Perhaps a rival who actually beats you most of the time. So that when you finally do beat him, it'll really feel like an accomplishment. Something to struggle for! It wouldn't have to be a proper whiteout when you're beaten, it could just hop to a cutscene and your pokémon could be healthy again. That'd sure be different c:

So I'm the minority here on wanting a single female rival? We've had rival groups for quite a while now...
    The gender doesn't really matter much to me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So I'm the minority here on wanting a single female rival? We've had rival groups for quite a while now...

Nah I agree. It could potentially turn into a love story, which no doubt it will because boy + girl = love in the media. I really don't have any issues with it, even if it's unrequited. They insult you only because they want you, whereas you... your ultimate goal. That's what you want - to save the Pokemon world. Eventually she'll find love with a gym leader and everything will be ok. If you're playing as a girl you would become best friends with her (like Shauna) and eventually defeat everyone else. That's pretty much how the story will go if there's a female and it'll add a human element, so why not? No matter what if they have a female she's gotta be super competitive though. No weakling, gotta be stronger than you until you face the Elite Four and finally overtake her. :)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    The gender doesn't really matter much to me.
    Well my reasoning for wanting a female rival is well, I know it's a bit of a weird reasoning, but, we had a female chamion, then a female professor, and gen6 had a female... nothing, unless you count a female champ but that's done already. I'm hoping gen7 continues with this trend and I think the rival would be an interesting idea.

Nah I agree. It could potentially turn into a love story, which no doubt it will because boy + girl = love in the media. I really don't have any issues with it, even if it's unrequited. They insult you only because they want you, whereas you... your ultimate goal. That's what you want - to save the Pokemon world. Eventually she'll find love with a gym leader and everything will be ok. If you're playing as a girl you would become best friends with her (like Shauna) and eventually defeat everyone else. That's pretty much how the story will go if there's a female and it'll add a human element, so why not? No matter what if they have a female she's gotta be super competitive though. No weakling, gotta be stronger than you until you face the Elite Four and finally overtake her. :)
    Lol actually I was thinking basically the 'smell ya later' rival, except it's well, not male.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    There's nothing much to speculate at this level, due to the lack of official materials.
    But I'd like our rival(s) to receive character developments! They can even go as far as making our rival joining the villain team during some point of the plot. (:

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2023
    The rivals shouldn't be like X&Y because too many rivals made lack of character development. I would like a mix between Blue and Barry and possibly another Dawn.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    There's nothing much to speculate at this level, due to the lack of official materials.
    But I'd like our rival(s) to receive character developments! They can even go as far as making our rival joining the villain team during some point of the plot. (:

Now this would be an interesting twist. They could either make the rival like a Silver-type of character, or they could portray the evil team as legitimate "good guys" in the eyes of your rival. Would definitely be a Tear Jerker if they gave the rival enough character development.

I also agree that X/Y had too many.... I'm hoping they dwindle it down a little, I liked how we had Cheren and Bianca in Gen 5.

Years
    I agree with Sun, the lack of information at this point is why the speculation is a bit slow. But I am hoping for significant development, it was why I loved Cheren and Bianca, and also a honourable mention to Silver.

Years
    I want: Either a rival similar to how they handled Blue and Silver, or a rival with the same level of complexity as N.

I expect: another circle of friends wooooooooooooo

I really hope they don't go that route though. I wouldn't've minded the approach to how they handled it in x/y, but out of the 4 "rivals" you have, literally not a single one is memorable. Except maybe Shauna. Shauna doesn't even feel like a rival either ugh.

As someone mentioned earlier, I'd love for a villain-esque rival who ends up joining the evil team at a point. Something like a mix of Silver + N could be pretty cool imo.

Years
    I can understand the appeal behind Blue and Silver, since they felt like rivals you actually wanted to beat, but I think Game Freak are trying to focus more on the "Pokemon are your friends and partners" aspect and I guess that was what likely contributed to rivals being more of a friend figure as of late.

Back