• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Kenny1

On a break from Rom hacking, to improve other skil
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
I like the challenge, if rom hacking becomes TOO easy, it will become redundant, it should become a BIT easier, but not TOO easy, that you can just open a tool, say dialogue script, and it spits out a random dialogue script for you,
I know that sounds kinda strange, but I'm trying to get my point across.

Years
Who needs clothes, I like the challenge of surviving the winter outside in the nude!
That's a really bad analogy. If everything was easy in ROM Hacking, there's be no gratification in getting something done, and it's just turn into pushing buttons and combining other peoples' work. The best part of hacking, in my opinion, is to learn to do something yourself and to overcome a bug or problem that you either couldn't fix before or didn't think was possible. If there's none of that, where's the fun in hacking?
I like the challenge, if rom hacking becomes TOO easy, it will become redundant, it should become a BIT easier, but not TOO easy, that you can just open a tool, say dialogue script, and it spits out a random dialogue script for you,
I know that sounds kinda strange, but I'm trying to get my point across.
I'd actually argue that the state of Gen 3 hacking as it is, at least for FireRed, is as easy as it will get. There are really no massive hurdles left to jump over except maybe making battle scripting a little easier. I think in a few years we'll be seeing more Emerald hacks and more DS hacks.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

Exactly! Who wouldn't choose seppuku?!

That's seriously kinda weird question... how exactly easier?
People creating more sophisticated tools that do more work for you?

I mean I've seen people say stuff like "can you make a tool for this it's hard to go it manually" and stuff like that. It was a dumb question, my bad :p

Kenny1

On a break from Rom hacking, to improve other skil
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
I have a question too:
What is TOO easy to you?
Like what is the limit of how easy it should become?

Last edited:

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I don't see why people like Lugia's Song so much ... Tears of Life is way better

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I don't see why people like Lugia's Song so much ... Tears of Life is way better
Is that relevant to any...

...Okay, I'm just gonna ride on that train. How much do you like (or look for) custom music in a hack?

Here was my two cents in regards to a post requesting certain music be retained in a certain hack (mentioned in the 2 cents)

I can't agree with you there. Not about the music being good, but using original themes in place of custom ones. Even though I haven't played Chrono Cross, I have been rather pleased with the latest music choices in Rube Destiny, and I really like to see when hackers add (or even compose) new music because it not only gives the player the motivation to play with their volume on, but it gives something of an edge to the hack in terms of uniqueness.

I mean, there are boatloads of hacks that use the default music, and thus, the average hack forum player will have to listen to themes they already spend a lot of time with over and over and over again. Back when I was big time into hacks, I actually got sick of Fire Red music because of it, especially being a hacker myself. So seeing hacks with new music is a nice breath of air that makes it feel less like one is playing the original game and more like they are exploring a new creation entirely.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
tbh I don't play hacks much with sound so unless I'm a beta tester I don't really care about background music or cries or sound effects or whatever.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Music is one thing I look most forward to in ROM hacks. They help distinct your hack from all other ones, and give us chance to have more of an enjoyable time playing, so to speak. It's okay to not make musical changes, but if you ask me, it's what's recommended. Could be a little tough, but it should be all worth it in the end. :]

Le pug

Years
Welcome to the ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat! ... Post freely!

Is that relevant to any...
...Okay, I'm just gonna ride on that train. How much do you like (or look for) custom music in a hack?

It's relevant to the thread post so yes. Tearsoflife4life homeboi

Music is one thing I look most forward to in ROM hacks. They help distinct your hack from all other ones, and give us chance to have more of an enjoyable time playing, so to speak. It's okay to not make musical changes, but if you ask me, it's what's recommended. Could be a little tough, but it should be all worth it in the end. :]

Yeah music definitely makes it more awesome. That's why in all my scripts and all my maps I try to use more sounds and we already have a lot of awesome new songs. It enhances the gameplay for those who do want to play with music on and helps make it feel like a new Pokemon game

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
Can Someone give me links To Get The Programs I Need To Hack Games Like The Link for the pokemon starter editor i Have Advance Text And Map I Have Overworldeditor And Title screen cry editor can you help?

Le pug

Years
I don't think we can abuse the "FREELY" so much =D

Something like what snack do you eat while hacking isn't really a valid topic... or is it?

Alright guys what snacks do you eat while you hack? I prefer to not snack because it's one of America's reasons for obesity but I do enjoy mini pretzels every once and awhile

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Alright guys what snacks do you eat while you hack? I prefer to not snack because it's one of America's reasons for obesity but I do enjoy mini pretzels every once and awhile

I sometimes eat oreos, or a lollipop, or maybe even cereal. Pan con mantequilla too, cafe con leche, or any candy I can find :D

Also, what music do you listen to while you ROM hack?

I listen to stuff like Weezer, Miniature Tigers, Sublime, or any music I have in my phone. I find it pretty annoying to not listen to music or eat while I rom hack.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
When I'm hacking I tend to zone out... coffee goes cold, snacks go uneaten, music just isn't heard :P.

Today I managed to ignore the bf for a solid half an hour as I had to fix an error through hex-guess-work - didn't even realise how much time had gone by! :P

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
This is unfortunately what happens to me as well. Seems that I just get carried away with whatever I'm doing (usually messing with tiles) and hours just fly by without me noticing.

Le pug

Years
I don't think we can abuse the "FREELY" so much =D

Something like what snack do you eat while hacking isn't really a valid topic... or is it?

I hope that answers your question lol.

I sometimes eat oreos, or a lollipop, or maybe even cereal. Pan con mantequilla too, cafe con leche, or any candy I can find :D

Also, what music do you listen to while you ROM hack?

I listen to stuff like Weezer, Miniature Tigers, Sublime, or any music I have in my phone. I find it pretty annoying to not listen to music or eat while I rom hack.

Sometimes I listen to just pokemusic via sappy to give me ideas sometimes I listen to piano music or I'll listen to rock music. I like more modern rock like five finger death punch, Chevelle, 10 Years, three days grace, avenged sevenfold, but I like other bands like woodkid and 80s bands lol

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023

I don't eat anything while doing tasks like this; they always make you take a longer time to achieve an objective. :( It might not have much of an effect on some people, but for others, it definitely does.

Back