• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    What do you guys think about when in hacks the player speaks? Do you think it looks unprofessional or you don't mind?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • What do you guys think about when in hacks the player speaks? Do you think it looks unprofessional or you don't mind?
    Well I think that extends to a bigger question that can be extended to a lot of RPGs. I can't see any reason that it would be unprofessional. I mean, there are ways to make it more professional, but speaking protags really depend on whether the storytelling hinges on it. I don't see anything wrong with it, and depending on the game it can really strengthen the story.

...Buuuut, the problem with this is, if the protagonist speaks, you have to create a personality for them, and if the personality for the protagonist is weak, it can really hamper the experience, sometimes to the point that people will skip through dialog or not play the game altogether.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Either way, there need to be clear rules to how you do it. Many people mistake bing make them silent but then have random outbursts.

In hoping to balance that out in mine, by having voiced flashbacks but a silent present. Tempted to just change it to a narration though, but that might get weirder xD.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Either way, there need to be clear rules to how you do it. Many people mistake bing make them silent but then have random outbursts.

In hoping to balance that out in mine, by having voiced flashbacks but a silent present. Tempted to just change it to a narration though, but that might get weirder xD.
    Yeah, there are some hacks where I'll be playing with what I thought was a silent protagonist, and then all the sudden, just randomly, this different colored text will come in and I'll be like "Wha- who said that?" Only to read over the following lines to see that the protag unzipped his lips to give his two cents.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • How many of you hex edit when you hack? Just saw a thread about it in the Beginner's Lounge, and it made me curious. lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    I'm going to be honest here, I don't like the idea of speaking protagonists. It's like fakemons for me: the idea could be executed well, but that usually never happens. Instead, we have cases where the PC's dialogue is uninspired and stupid. (I'm not going to name hacks, in case the fandom rises up against me)

I agree 100% with machomuu, it really should depend on the storytelling. Pokemon has emphasized adventures, battles and collecting throughout the years. Let's be real here, Pokemon isn't really plot centered, despite recent attempts to make the storylines more interesting. It's very personalized. More focus is put on the player than the player character. That's why I think the silent protagonist works. It allows the player to immerse themselves in the Pokemon world without much disruption.

Are there cases where speaking protagonists have worked? Yes! Just look at the Mystery Dungeon series. The writing is superb, and the thinking/speaking the player character does definitely works. The main thing to note though, is that the Mystery Dungeon games put more emphasis on plot. There's definitely lots of things to explore, but there's definitely a focus on plot not seen in the main games. So if you want to have a speaking protagonist, go ahead. But if you're going to do that, give the player character a strong personality. Put some thought into the dialogue. Change things up.

Years
  • How many of you hex edit when you hack? Just saw a thread about it in the Beginner's Lounge, and it made me curious. lol

Hex editing is sometimes just the most efficient method of doing something, and almost always safer. Doing this in a hex editor just feels more like you're in control, and is easier for keeping track of things. I don't understand how people manage to go through a whole hack without touching a hex editor, to be honest.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    How many of you hex edit when you hack? Just saw a thread about it in the Beginner's Lounge, and it made me curious. lol
    I hex edit, and I would definitely encourage you to pick up hex editing. Why? Because you can do so much more with hex editing. You no longer have to rely on IPS files for expanding movesets, tables etc., you can look at how people did it and adjust things to fit your rom. It's great having control over your rom, wouldn't you agree?
    EDIT: I just looked at that thread, and wow you actually hex edit more than I do on a regular basis. Kudos to you.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • I hex edit, and I would definitely encourage you to pick up hex editing. Why? Because you can do so much more with hex editing. You no longer have to rely on IPS files for expanding movesets, tables etc., you can look at how people did it and adjust things to fit your rom. It's great having control over your rom, wouldn't you agree?
    EDIT: I just looked at that thread, and wow you actually hex edit more than I do on a regular basis. Kudos to you.

Not only that, but you can do anything within hardware limits with hex ideally. You're just typing bytes, which can be used in any way.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I'm find with hex editing pointers and finding text strings, etc. I'm also familiarising myself with pokemon data strings (as well as learn sets and move strings) so I can edit accurately and not rely on tools if my changes ruin compatibity ><. Always willing to learn more though!

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I don't hex edit to the extent you posted in that thread (O_o, well, if it works!), but I'm definitely no stranger to hex editing lol
    I just like tinkering with code and numbers. It's probably the most fun part of hacking for me. lol

Plus, I hate not knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Managing everything myself guarantees that I'll know exactly what went wrong when I have a problem.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I'd probably be changing a hell of a lot more in the ROM if I knew where things were. It's too easy tbh and more than a little fun. :3

RAM modification with ASM in particular is fun as the limit of control is practically none with it, depending on how far you want to go. Again, my delimma with that is also knowing where things are, but moreso in the RAM than in the ROM with ASM. :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't think I'd ever be able to do anything ASM-related. Well, I could, but for some people, it could take a lot of time to learn these things. Plus, I just don't have enough motivation in ROM hacking anymore. :(

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Time for me to add a question?

Do you guys want rom hacking to get easier or stay is it is?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Time for me to add a question?

When I read this question, I don't see the difference between it and "Would you rather a cupcake or commit seppuku?"

Lol of course we want it to be easier!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • When I read this question, I don't see the difference between it and "Would you rather a cupcake or commit seppuku?"
    Exactly! Who wouldn't choose seppuku?!

Time for me to add a question?

That's seriously kinda weird question... how exactly easier?
    People creating more sophisticated tools that do more work for you?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    If things get too easy it takes away the brilliance of what people have achieved with their own knowledge, you know? :) Maybe some things could be developed but a bit of challenge is actually quite enjoyable ><.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • If things get too easy it takes away the brilliance of what people have achieved with their own knowledge, you know? :) Maybe some things could be developed but a bit of challenge is actually quite enjoyable ><.

Who needs clothes, I like the challenge of surviving the winter outside in the nude!
    I can see what you're saying but for some reason your first sentence makes me think of the fact that I typed this to you in 20 seconds from a location thousands of miles away that almost instantaneously arrived for your ability to see, rather than me writing on a letter with an quill pen and having my personal delivery boy John F. Bradford ride out to Plymouth on a three day journey (hoping vigilantes wouldn't kill him and steal his horse) to serve you this case in point.

The more tools we have, the less challenging things are, the easier it is on people to output more hacks for people to play. Surely you must be tired of all the same hacks?

Back