• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023
    Game reviewers usually have experience in the game industry, otherwise literally any kid in the world would get a game review job. They have something to them that tells other people "hey, this person is reviewing because they have something to say and their background tells me they at least know what they're talking about." Anyone can review something like a sonic game but what sonic fan would just go on youtube and watch a small youtube channel review their favorite game or whatever, they basically are just like "whatever"

I personally would rather have someone more experienced review a game I made or would like to look into, but that's probably just me. I'm probably the only one who actually wants someone in the field to tell me about it instead of the equivalence of the comment section of an amazon.com product. Sure, some people in the amazon.com comment section of a product have really good things to say or negative things to say, but I'd rather read or look at a professional review from someone or some company who is known for it.

Would you rather read an oculus rift review or go to a youtube video with 48 views saying "oh it didn't work or something don't buy it plus the graphics weren't even good enough for my taste"?

As I said, it's an okay idea, as long as the negative aspect is removed and as long as you prove to us that your opinion and criticisms are worth listening to.

The negative aspect is entirely subjective but you have a history of ignoring my points so i wont dispute it. I guess being part of the community for a few years doesn't count as experience. I dont know about you but i generally rely on my own opinions for whether or not I'll play or watch something however it has yet to hurt to check out reviews as they often offer insights that general adverts and such wont show. So yeah there's that but what do I know.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • The negative aspect is entirely subjective but you have a history of ignoring my points so i wont dispute it. I guess being part of the community for a few years doesn't count as experience. I dont know about you but i generally rely on my own opinions for whether or not I'll play or watch something however it has yet to hurt to check out reviews as they often offer insights that general adverts and such wont show. So yeah there's that but what do I know.

You asked for feedback and I gave you feedback. Have a good day.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    The negative aspect is entirely subjective but you have a history of ignoring my points so i wont dispute it. I guess being part of the community for a few years doesn't count as experience. I dont know about you but i generally rely on my own opinions for whether or not I'll play or watch something however it has yet to hurt to check out reviews as they often offer insights that general adverts and such wont show. So yeah there's that but what do I know.

Erm, if you're calling it 'Bad Hack', the fact it is negative is not subjective. The very title is negative. Bad and negative are synonyms in the dictionary. I'm pretty sure that's the negative aspect people were referring to, because if your entire video was compliments (which would be pretty funny btw) but you kept the title Bad Hack, it wouldn't change the fact the title is negative. It would just become unintentionally hilarious. I'm pretty sure the name is what is being referred to here. It might be OK depending on how it was handled, like a disclaimer it's just your opinion first thing and that you're not trying to offend anyone or that people are still allowed to like the work.

Anyway, I did suggest an alternate name, 'Hack Fixes'. Hack Critique works too. Or just Hack Reviews, if that's what you're doing.
    GoGo was not saying nonprofessional reviewers have nothing to say, just that they prefer professional reviewers and that preference is 'probably just' them. I don't think they were trying to attack your experience or imply you are unprofessional, just that they personally need something more - like knowledge you've contributed something to the community at some point, not necessarily this year since you said you stopped hacking - to give them confidence it'll be a good review they will enjoy, because that's how their personal tastes run. You can't change another person's personal tastes.

I admit, my first geeky impression was that you were going to go into detail about the coding or terrible spriting errors someone egregiously made or sources of bugs, and that's the kind of thing I think only a 'professional' reviewer would do and the kind of thing that makes expert reviews so fascinating, but now I realize I'm being a total wonk as most reviews focus on things like storyline and concept, whether the art is any good, and basic game-play, which indeed anyone could comment about without any experience. In which case I have to point out that your review is likely to be highly subjective - you may think something needs fixing, but another person may find that story element or etcetera the entire appeal of the hack. Although I'm sure you know that already, not a bad thing per say.

This is a bit dark, but one last reason I don't think you should call it 'Bad Hacks', without at least a disclaimer anyway, is because you will never know when you will encounter someone with severe depression. Right now is an especially bad time for some people*. It is not only 14 year olds who could be adversely effected. Not trying to attack you, honest; the fact I mention depressed people should make it apparent I don't want to make you depressed.
    *Sorry. I mean, I don't come to PC to be reminded of real life.

---

Um, more amusing change of subject. What 'Bad Hack Idea' do you think could actually be really good if it was done right? Would you play a hack that breaks all the rules for what a good hack is 'supposed' to be, if it did it in a really amazing/hilarious way?

For example, legendaries are near universally agreed to be completely awful to give out as starters, and that you should just about never, ever do so. But I would actually play a hack like this if it was done in a sufficiently unique and unusual way, being important to the storyline, like being raised by Mew, or being a baby legendary without full powers you have to keep secret, or being the only mon you get for a long time that then dies on you shortly to save your life, or something interesting like that. I would totally play that 'awful' hack that gave you a legendary starter if it actually did something with it.

Last edited:

Mr.Mako

Resident Edgelord Troll
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023
    Erm, if you're calling it 'Bad Hack', the fact it is negative is not subjective. The very title is negative. Bad and negative are synonyms in the dictionary. I'm pretty sure that's the negative aspect people were referring to, because if your entire video was compliments (which would be pretty funny btw) but you kept the title Bad Hack, it wouldn't change the fact the title is negative. It would just become unintentionally hilarious. I'm pretty sure the name is what is being referred to here. It might be OK depending on how it was handled, like a disclaimer it's just your opinion first thing and that you're not trying to offend anyone or that people are still allowed to like the work.

Anyway, I did suggest an alternate name, 'Hack Fixes'. Hack Critique works too. Or just Hack Reviews, if that's what you're doing.
    GoGo was not saying nonprofessional reviewers have nothing to say, just that they prefer professional reviewers and that preference is 'probably just' them. I don't think they were trying to attack your experience or imply you are unprofessional, just that they personally need something more - like knowledge you've contributed something to the community at some point, not necessarily this year since you said you stopped hacking - to give them confidence it'll be a good review they will enjoy, because that's how their personal tastes run. You can't change another person's personal tastes.

I admit, my first geeky impression was that you were going to go into detail about the coding or terrible spriting errors someone egregiously made or sources of bugs, and that's the kind of thing I think only a 'professional' reviewer would do and the kind of thing that makes expert reviews so fascinating, but now I realize I'm being a total wonk as most reviews focus on things like storyline and concept, whether the art is any good, and basic game-play, which indeed anyone could comment about without any experience. In which case I have to point out that your review is likely to be highly subjective - you may think something needs fixing, but another person may find that story element or etcetera the entire appeal of the hack. Although I'm sure you know that already, not a bad thing per say.

This is a bit dark, but one last reason I don't think you should call it 'Bad Hacks', without at least a disclaimer anyway, is because you will never know when you will encounter someone with severe depression. Right now is an especially bad time for some people*. It is not only 14 year olds who could be adversely effected. Not trying to attack you, honest; the fact I mention depressed people should make it apparent I don't want to make you depressed.
    *Sorry. I mean, I don't come to PC to be reminded of real life.

---

Um, more amusing change of subject. What 'Bad Hack Idea' do you think could actually be really good if it was done right? Would you play a hack that breaks all the rules for what a good hack is 'supposed' to be, if it did it in a really amazing/hilarious way?

For example, legendaries are near universally agreed to be completely awful to give out as starters, and that you should just about never, ever do so. But I would actually play a hack like this if it was done in a sufficiently unique and unusual way, being important to the storyline, like being raised by Mew, or being a baby legendary without full powers you have to keep secret, or being the only mon you get for a long time that then dies on you shortly to save your life, or something interesting like that. I would totally play that 'awful' hack that gave you a legendary starter if it actually did something with it.

Well i understand where you are coming from and while I agree with you just gonna put this out there the Bad Hack name is genuinly intended as kind of a gag. I mean the first video will most likely be on Liquid Crystal which is by no means a bad hack. There will be disclaimers that any possible negativity is kept to a minimum unless I tackle Dark Rising just for the lulz. I should point out that a lot of this is me channeling my own depression and anxiety (boo real life things). My intent is to point out everything I can that seems to be a problem to me be they graphical, continuity, technical, etc. and offer genuine options for how to fix it even if i have to crack the hack open with tools to find the exact issue. I will probably tap my connections with certain romhackers for solutions I may miss and ofcourse mention them in video if i say what they suggest.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Well i understand where you are coming from and while I agree with you just gonna put this out there the Bad Hack name is genuinly intended as kind of a gag. I mean the first video will most likely be on Liquid Crystal which is by no means a bad hack. There will be disclaimers that any possible negativity is kept to a minimum unless I tackle Dark Rising just for the lulz. I should point out that a lot of this is me channeling my own depression and anxiety (boo real life things). My intent is to point out everything I can that seems to be a problem to me be they graphical, continuity, technical, etc. and offer genuine options for how to fix it even if i have to crack the hack open with tools to find the exact issue. I will probably tap my connections with certain romhackers for solutions I may miss and ofcourse mention them in video if i say what they suggest.

If it's a gag title and you have disclaimers, it should be fine then. Although some people may prefer to have helpful critique posted on their thread page instead of a video they may not even know about.

And Liquid Crystal is a pretty dang good hack.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    I apologize for intruding and asking about an off-topic thing, but how can "bad hacks" affect a person with severe depression?

No, it's slightly on topic, and it's a good question that deserves answering, because many people don't understand what depression actually is, and that information could save a life someday. People are often shocked when a loved one commits suicide, because the person did not seem sufficiently 'sad' to them (depressed people can still laugh like everyone else for instance), and they didn't recognize the symptoms.

You see, many people think that depression is just sadness. This is incorrect. Actually, it is much more often a feeling of hopelessness, of pointlessness. That you are worthless. Severely depressed people are not always in their right mind (although many of them do have good reasons, some of them have pretty good lives); there is a reason it is called a mental illness. As such, they are no longer fully capable of accurately gauging their self worth. They may reason that their death may be a little painful for their loved ones but that their death will ultimately be better for their family because they are such a waste of space*. You might, at this point, be starting to understand my earlier comment.

Often a severely depressed person struggles to find enjoyment in normal activities, although not everyone shows such a symptom. Such a person probably would not be rom hacking, but they may have rom-hacked in the past: depressed people are rarely depressed all their lives, you see. When you realize that such a person is mentally ill and considers themself worthless, a minor bad, unpleasant incident that a normal person could cope with could turn into the tipping point, like someone making a video of 'Nah nah nah you suck and your work sucks' (which may be something that happens every single day of your life if you are being harassed by an abuser; once is merely annoying, but if you get constantly spammed with negative messages telling you how awful you are, they add up to mental damage over time - there is a reason bullying can lead to suicide.) You never know when your negative comment about someone may actually have been one of several that day. How would you enjoy being deluged with negative, abusive comments every day of your life? Some people actually suffer this.
    However, people with more normal lives can also suffer depression - and snap at bizarre instances other people would never guess at. For instance: Suicides are actually more common for people who have committed only minor crimes and have just been jailed for a few days with no harsher sentence; a bizarre thing, as you would expect people who had just been given a life sentence to commit the most suicides, not someone leading a good life! Being jailed tends to make most people at least temporarily depressed, and it's a shocking incident.

It's a good proof that severely depressed people are rarely acting fully rationally, but more emotionally (and they may even know this but - guess what - emotions are hard to control, if people could just stop being depressed or sad at will no one would be) and you shouldn't treat them like they are ultra-rational beings. Actually, you shouldn't treat /any/ human being like they are an ultra-rational being, because they will inevitably disappoint you.

It's apparent to me now that Bad Hacks will not be a 'You suck so bad' type video thing, and a bit tongue in cheek, so, like I said, it should actually be safe, although if you wanted to be cautious one would change it. I believe depressed people are still capable of understanding humor, although I wouldn't claim to be an expert.

(*Note that this is related to people who reason their medical costs are too much for their family to pay, so it would be better off for them to be gone so their family won't go in debt. The difference is they may not consciously use the 'waste of space' analogy, but they still misjudge that their lives are worth less to their family than money. They might also be in so much physical pain that it actually isn't worth living, but in that case it probably isn't depression but just desperation. The medical one may also sometimes be desperation instead of depression, if, say, the family would actually be in severe danger without more money rather than merely inconvenienced.)

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • Oh, I'm fully aware of depression and know its symptoms from first hand, I just don't think anyone who would make a video to critique a hack would bash it senselessly and personally attack the creator, sorry for the misunderstanding!

I certainly hope someone doesn't release their hack into the community and expect to be immune from criticism because they're depressed.

Flame wars. Baseless insults. Bullying. Those things don't really happen here. No one needs to (nor should they have to) worry about setting off a depressed person with actual criticism. We shouldn't be encouraging people to tiptoe around problems "just in case". I don't care if you're checking the forums from a very high bridge, I'm going to tell you what you did right in your hack and what could stand to be improved. It is not the community's job to self-censor to spare people's feelings.

If we actually had a bullying problem, this might be a concern, but even bringing it up in our current climate is ridiculous and over-reaching. We all need to keep our heavy emotional baggage on our own sides of the screen, while remaining as civil and constructive as we can.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
  • We all need to keep our heavy emotional baggage on our own sides of the screen, while remaining as civil and constructive as we can.
    I completely agree, as long as there is civil and constructive criticism (as well as preferences but that is a different topic in general), it is fine to really complain about a hack and make a series based around those ideals.

However, even though this conversation pretty much just went straight into a topic of criticism and depression, I think the bigger problem people have here is with the idea of a "Bad Hack of the Week" series. From name alone, I think we can both agree that this seems less "constructive criticism" and more of "bashing a hack all together".

Like I still can't believe I'm siding with GoGo if there is constructive criticism and criticism that people would actually listen to and it's worth listening to, there shouldn't be a problem with MrMako's idea.

To summarize, constructive criticism, or criticism in general is great, as long as you don't make yourself sound like a jerk I would be using another word instead of jerk, but you know, those censorship rules

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2016
    Hi guys! well im kind of new here.....

I am inviting you to see the brand new trailer of Pokemon leyends

I fyou are intereted on it just let me know

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Wouldn't it make sense to link your trailer here? I'm a fan of live action pokemon trailers, they tend to be quite humorous with the right amount of cringe for my liking.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Hey, it's your average double poster FBI here. I wanted to know who would be interested in the following:

1) Graphics tutorial for the GBA
    2) Graphics scripting system
    3) Tutorial Tips and tricks for hacking

Pick one please, and if you're not interested in either let me know. I'm trying to gauge interest and see which one I'd want to do too based on usage population.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Hey, it's your average double poster FBI here. I wanted to know who would be interested in the following:

Pick one please, and if you're not interested in either let me know. I'm trying to gauge interest and see which one I'd want to do too based on usage population.

Graphics scripting system.
    The other two exist in plentiful quantities over the past decade

Crizzle

Legend
    Years

I wouldn't mind seeing 2.

Back