• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Tutoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Hey, Atlus, great idea, hope this theread works!

I have a suggestion... Could you possibly add ASM tutoring for the list for people who want to learn ASM? I'm not sure too many people would want to teach it, but just a thought.

Good idea...I would love to have someone help me learn ASM....it's something I've been wanting to learn for a long time.

MegaMaccer

If a tree falls in a forest
    Years
    I think I shall fill out the student form :D

Username/Internet Alias: MegaMaccer
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Mac
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good) [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Sprite inserting and graphics inserting
    Timezone: GMT +12:00
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Basically whenever ^^
    Interests: Hacking? Not really sure what to put here :P
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):~

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    TUTOR FORM
    Username/Internet Alias: 44tim44
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Timmy
    Means of contact: [email protected]
    What you are interested in Tutoring for: Advanced Mapping, Spriting(OW), Spriting(Other)
    Proof of Work:

Mapping Proof:
    Spoiler:

Spriting Proof:
    ROM Hacking Tutoring

ROM Hacking Tutoring

(Most of the sprites are not yet indexed/inserted.)

Timezone:GMT+1
    What times you can be tutoring:15.00 - 18.00, days are different(going on vacation, and won't be at my PC every day)
    Interests: Sketching/Drawing, Computer Knowledge, Science fiction, Manga & Anime
    How many students can you handle at once?: Depending on their knowledge.
    2 if they are complete beginners, possibly 3 if they have experience.

You're accepted for both Spriting, but until you have more than one map to show, I can only accept you for Simple Mapping, for now. D; Although, I am sure that if you have two or three other good maps, Advancing Mapping is somewhere in your future. :D

also @Atlus
    "Also, if you are applying for an Advancing class (Mapping/Scripting) it would be in your very best interest to include some sort of proof of work, be it a video (scripting) or a couple of maps you've made."

I would include more maps, but Im on my new computer, and haven't got my portable hardrive on right now.
    So this is the only hacking map I have.
    (I do have some RMXP maps though.)

Also I think this is a great Idea.
    Through this thread, we might be able to get rid of the "Haow do I hax?"-posts in various threads.
    Good luck with this project ;)

Well, if you get the chance, just send a couple more maps to me. :3
    Also, that comment was directed at Students; I apologize for not clarifying that. Tutors need to show Proof of Work for everything they apply for.

Hey, Atlus, great idea, hope this theread works!

I have a suggestion... Could you possibly add ASM tutoring for the list for people who want to learn ASM? I'm not sure too many people would want to teach it, but just a thought.

Thanks.
    I don't know about ASM. For one thing, I doubt anyone would want to tutor it in the first place, and for another, he/she is going to be swarmed with people wanting to be taught ASM. Unless I get a bunch of people that want to tutor ASM, it is unlikely.

jakerman999

looking for spriters
    Years
    I appreciate constructive criticism.

Some notes;

The tree placement is quite good on the first map. Mountains are straight, however, which is not good. And, since I'm assuming you're going for a bit of an out-of-the-way area here, caves are fine, but usually, in a city, there are no cave entrances unless that is how you get in. Also, there's no way to get off of or even onto the part of the mountain where the cave is. The little pond is blocked off by hedges, as well. Another big thing here is to include a border; as far as I can tell, you've left the top-right hand corner open for the player to roam. Wrap some trees around and at least create a direction for the player to go.

Second map; symmetry is not your friend in mapping. It bites you.

That said, you don't want to make things symmetrical, so try not to use the same rock placements throughout. Again, the mountains are extremely straight, which we don't want to happen. Imagine being the person who plays through that cave; do you really want to walk straight up and down in basically the same path five times over? No, I don't think so. Mix it up a bit.

I don't really do many water routes, so I'm at a lack of words for the last one. My only advice at the moment is to throw some islands in; some people look for those, and when they reach the end of a pure water route, being forced to go back, it won't make them happy. (Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything.. >>)

for the first map, the top right hand corner isn't "open to roam", its the area where you enter the map from. it wasn't actually mean to be a city, which is why the cave is there. the cave is also access able from above(the map above isn't posted because I'm fine tuning the locations).and the pond being blocked off is another one of my event excuses.in hindsight, maybe I do rely on my scripts to much.

that cave is called eternity cave and being straight back and forth is what I intended for it, due to the puzzle that spans most of the dwelling.

for the water route, I guess I should have a island or something in they're. I don't really think about adding land to water maps, just giving them more of a maze like quality is what I strive for.

as for roughing up the mountains a bit, I guess it might be something I need to work on. I usually just move them around the path and put in a blemish when I'm bored. good advice, thanks.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
    Student Application

*Fills out student form*

Username/Internet Alias: JohnPaulJones/PlatniumPiano

Real Name or Nickname that you go by: JPJ, Piano, Whatever works.

Means of contact :Gmail. Im not putting my email here...

What you are interested in learning: Everything artistic, but for now I'll stick to Graphical Hacking (tiles, palletes).

Timezone: Mountain Time UTC -6

What times you can be tutored: 10am-12pm, 10pm-12am (lol) I don't know exactly when I will be on all of the time. These time spots seem the most free for me. I am on the internet alot, however.

Interests: Music, Hacking, Chilling with mah peeps...

Looking for a specific Tutor?: Preferably somebody with a good sense of humor :P

Ashitaka

Spirit of Snorlax
    Years
    ~Student Application~
    Username/Internet Alias: Ashitaka
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Ashi, Ash, Brian (real name, call me what you will)
    Means of contact:
    ->Email: [email protected]
    ->AIM: Ashikun1110 (preferred)
    ->MSN Messenger: [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning:
    Simple Mapping, Simple Scripting (basically the...basics)
    Timezone: GMT -6 (USA Central Standard Time)
    What times you can be tutored: Pretty much whenever. I have no school and no job, so I'm free basically whenever. I'll alter my schedule to fit that of the tutor. Ideal times for me are 12:00-16:00 and 22:00-29:00 GMT -6.
    Interests: Nintendo, Baseball, hard rock and heavy metal, RPing, Spriting
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: Nope, just someone who can guide me through the noob stage

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Alright, guys, I'm sorry. I was out for most of this weekend, and when I came back PC was down ;_;

That, and it's pretty late for me now. I'll get around to editing in the students, and starting pairing up for Tutors tomorrow, mmk? Thanks for putting up with me, guys. xD

Years
    Username/Internet Alias: Bl00dyBizkitz
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Bl00dyBizkitz
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good): Skype=Bl00dyBizkitz
    [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Simple Scripting and Simple Mapping. If I can get through this stage, I'll pretty much be set.
    Timezone: Central Standard Time GMT -6
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: Virtually Whenever. Just not too early in the morning, I don't think anyone wants to wake up early.
    Interests: Youtube video makin', guitar, ROM hacking (if i can get started)
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed): Preferably, someone who hacks the 2nd gen because that's what I'm trying to hack. That means that I use Goldmap, not A-map.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
    <;TUTOR FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias:ageangel
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Ace
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account; although e-mail is just as good):[email protected]
    What you are interested in Tutoring for:Music insertion and editing the music{making the music instrument to work with the rom}
    Proof of Work (For each subject you would like to Tutor; five examples max, at least three):Tittlescreen
    Pallet Town
    Check Mitchel1 thread on the music{i insert it}
    Gary_Production hack too
    and i make a tut
    Timezone:I don't know what to put here{but i live in singapore[ASIA]}
    What times you can be tutoring (day, time):06.00 am onwards{following the time here}
    Interests (things you like; used to build a compatible pair, and attempt to make friends):Like to make many friends..Interested in making tiles/sprites..Making a hack{LoL}
    How many students can you handle at once? (one to three; if you can only take on one at a time, that is perfectly fine):2 or 3{Depens on how fast can the students picks the skill}

Your Pc Buddy,
    Ageangel

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Where's 11. Other Aspects (ASM Hacking)? LOL

Joking aside, the idea itself is nice, but I would rather set up stronger limits for both tutors and students. IMHO, tutors should have to be a member of PC for at least 6 months, or show exceptional skill in the subject of choice. Students should be required to be at PC for at least 1 month. Oh, and regarding TeamViewer... good choice. I've been using it since years, and never complained. Considering it's free for non-commercial usage plus it's updated frequently, it's just great.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
    The tutor will teach me things about a subject that I want to learn more about?
    This is awesome!

Student Form

Username: Lyzo
    Means of contact: IM, E-mail... [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Advanced Scripting, eventually ASM :D
    Timezone: +1 GMT
    What times you can be tutored: It's Summer Vacation :D, So basically every day of the week, from 11:00 A.M. till 10:00 P.M. (my time +1 GMT)(probably have things to do on some days, but they aren't fixed, but I'll tell you beforehand)
    Interests: Soccer, Tennis, Scripting... 0.0
    Looking for a specific Tutor?: Nope, a good one though :D
    Proof Of Work: I'm Pokemon Torzach's scripter, so I know how to make movements, talking scripts, givepkm scripts, setmaptile scripts, level scripts, move camera scripts, warping commands, all basic things :P. I want to learn using variables and ASM, because they seem really usefull. I've also had my taste of programming, but never really got into it... But things like Strings, Variables, Booleans are familiar...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    This would be very fun,nice idea.This will help many hackers improve.

what can i say - good luck?

PS: This definitely needs to be stickied.

Last edited:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
    <;STUDENT FORM;>
    Username/Internet Alias:ageangel
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by:Ace
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good)[email protected]
    What you are interested in learning:Tile inserting
    Timezone:not sure{but i live in singapore}
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]:
    Interests:06.00 am onwards{following the time here}
    Looking for a specific Tutor? (I can attempt to hook you up; however, that is not guaranteed):I want the tutor to be an expert in teching{not the one who can get mad easily[LoL]}other then that..there is nothing pecific..XD

Years
    #org @start
    checkflag 0x800
    if 0x1 goto @gone
    setvar 0x4033 0x1
    release
    end

'---------------
    #org @gone
    hidesprite 0x1
    hidesprite 0x2
    hidesprite 0x3
    applymovement 0x1 @move
    applymovement 0x2 @move
    applymovement 0x3 @move
    waitmovement 0x0
    setflag 0x200
    setvar 0x4033 0x1
    release
    end

'-----------
    ' Movements
    '-----------
    #org @move
    #raw 0x54 'Hide
    #raw 0xFE 'End of Movements
    Why is that complicated?
    All it seem to do in my eyes it

Is flag.800 setted?
    If true then set flag 200..

Or?
    Anyway

Username/Internet Alias: Son Sebbe/Sebbe17/Grek_cutenot_mean/some peiople calll me gabe_c, I don't like being called that though, jungleman, my current name...
    Real Name or Nickname that you go by: Jacob
    Means of contact (preferably a Live/MSN account, although email is just as good) [email protected]
    What you are interested in learning: Spriting, Ow spriting, Sprite inserting and graphics inserting
    Timezone: GMT +01:00
    What times you can be tutored (day, time) [please include all that apply]: all time...
    Interests: hacking

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    ohmygoodness my internet totally went out all day yesterday

Seriously, my whole neighborhood lost their internet because some stupid storm went through and basically ate our Cox (internet provider) building. >.>

Anyways, again, I'm really sorry, but I've got to go somewhere in about eight minutes, so I can only address the non-application things right now. So, sorry about that. I will definitely be sure to begin setting up Student and Tutor pairs by the end of the day, though, so look forward to that.

Where's 11. Other Aspects (ASM Hacking)? LOL

Joking aside, the idea itself is nice, but I would rather set up stronger limits for both tutors and students. IMHO, tutors should have to be a member of PC for at least 6 months, or show exceptional skill in the subject of choice. Students should be required to be at PC for at least 1 month. Oh, and regarding TeamViewer... good choice. I've been using it since years, and never complained. Considering it's free for non-commercial usage plus it's updated frequently, it's just great.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll have to bump up those limits at some point, but for now, I think I'm just going to see how it works out. Actually, though, I got the TeamViewer idea from you. I didn't really know of a program like that before, and you helped me through it once, I think. I was randomly browsing through my files and found it. Good thing I did. xD

Also, about the ASM stuff.. I dunno if you read through the random posts before, but I think I said something about that. A big part of the thing is that the limited number of people willing to teach ASM, and the explosive amount of people that want to learn. We might possibly be able to do it, but we'll have to set very high standards on who even has the capability to learn it. :/

This would be very fun,nice idea.This will help many hackers improve.

what can i say - good luck?

PS: This definitely needs to be stickied.

Normally, I'd agree, but this is just an idea right now. Hopefully, though, it'll bud up into a big part of the community. But until I start kicking the ball so it can roll, we don't really have anything here. So, until then, I hope this does not get stickied. ;3

Thank you, though.

Jake'll put 11 up if you do it ;)

I would if I figured out some sort of way to make that work; maybe by going over standards with anyone that's willing to teach ASM? Alright, guys, I have to skip a few and go babysit some siblings ( ;_; ), but I'll be back in a couple hours, and I'll fix all of you up, mmk? ^^

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll have to bump up those limits at some point, but for now, I think I'm just going to see how it works out. Actually, though, I got the TeamViewer idea from you. I didn't really know of a program like that before, and you helped me through it once, I think. I was randomly browsing through my files and found it. Good thing I did. xD

[...]

Also, about the ASM stuff.. I dunno if you read through the random posts before, but I think I said something about that. A big part of the thing is that the limited number of people willing to teach ASM, and the explosive amount of people that want to learn. We might possibly be able to do it, but we'll have to set very high standards on who even has the capability to learn it. :/

[...]

I would if I figured out some sort of way to make that work; maybe by going over standards with anyone that's willing to teach ASM? Alright, guys, I have to skip a few and go babysit some siblings ( ;_; ), but I'll be back in a couple hours, and I'll fix all of you up, mmk? ^^

Yeah, I know you got it from me, but it's still a good idea, isn't it? ;)
    If you need help on that subject, just ask as I'm quite experienced.
    Regarding ASM... the problem is simply there aren't many people willing to teach it and those that would aren't experienced enough probably.
    Just one thing: whatever tutor you choose for whatever reason, never go over (high) standards. Otherwhise we would get people learning wrong things or something.

EDIT: forgot something. 12. Other Aspects (Making Tools) and 13. Other Aspects (Writing Documents/Tutorials).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back